Little things you like about Pokémon

Pikachu315111

JAPE Judge!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
They never appear in-game, with the exception of Brendan/May/Kellyn/Kate. Just because no one says they are missing doesn't mean they aren't.
Yes, but you're complementing Tim for doing something that the other protagonists don't do even though they may not have a reason to do it.

We know Tim's father is missing because that's why he's in Rhyme City. And it is certainly a commendable quest, especially considering the circumstances around it and the events he gets into while doing so (plus not having any Pokemon of his own, Detective Pikachu being a partner that can't battle). However to say he's better than the other protagonists because of this alone is a bit presumptuous.

However we're usually told very little if nothing about the protagonists fathers aside from Gen III. I know in Gen I and V at some point when looking at something in the Department Store (a NES (sports game) in Gen I, a wide screen TV in Gen V) the character mentions how your father would love it. I don't think such a casual comment would be made if the father was missing. Gen II & IV I don't remember any mention of him. In Gen VI your mom mentions a little story about one time accidentally hitting your dad when racing her Rhyhorn. And Gen VII mentions your dad stayed behind in Kanto to work.

Also, we have to remember that Tim is his own character while the player character is meant to be a reflection of the player. "But I have a dad/don't have a mom!". You have to give the game some leeway on this as the role of the mother isn't meant to say every player (just) has a mother but rather the mother is a quick representation of a parental guardian figure to give the player permission to go on their Pokemon journey. While this does sound a bit harsh, its a compromise the game makes. Now, they do play around with this by giving the mother a more developed character (especially in recent games) and Gen III gives you a father who is a Gym Leader, but that's more them wanting to get more out of these characters and create unique circumstances for the player to face.

Finally, this could also be a tradition kept since it was done in the first game. Only having a mother raising you is a common thing in Japan as men who are salarymen are expected to work long hours and even take business trips that prevent them coming home for a while. This was the same relationship that Satoshi Tajiri had with his father (and no doubt other GF employees).

Yes, but you're complementing Tim for doing something that the other protagonists don't do even though they may not have a reason to do it.

We know Tim's father is missing because that's why he's in Rhyme City. And it is certainly a commendable quest, especially considering the circumstances around it and the events he gets into while doing so (plus not having any Pokemon of his own, Detective Pikachu being a partner that can't battle). However to say he's better than the other protagonists because of this alone is a bit presumptuous.

However we're usually told very little if nothing about the protagonists fathers aside from Gen III. I know in Gen I and V at some point when looking at something in the Department Store (a NES (sports game) in Gen I, a wide screen TV in Gen V) the character mentions how your father would love it. I don't think such a casual comment would be made if the father was missing. Gen II & IV I don't remember any mention of him. In Gen VI your mom mentions a little story about one time accidentally hitting your dad when racing her Rhyhorn. And Gen VII mentions your dad stayed behind in Kanto to work.

Also, we have to remember that Tim is his own character while the player character is meant to be a reflection of the player. "But I have a dad/don't have a mom!". You have to give the game some leeway on this as the role of the mother isn't meant to say every player (just) has a mother but rather the mother is a quick representation of a parental guardian figure to give the player permission to go on their Pokemon journey. While this does sound a bit harsh, its a compromise the game makes. Now, they do play around with this by giving the mother a more developed character (especially in recent games) and Gen III gives you a father who is a Gym Leader, but that's more them wanting to get more out of these characters and create unique circumstances for the player to face.

Finally, this could also be a tradition kept since it was done in the first game. Only having a mother raising you is a common thing in Japan as men who are salarymen are expected to work long hours and even take business trips that prevent them coming home for a while. This was the same relationship that Satoshi Tajiri had with his father (and no doubt other GF employees).
Interesting. I didn’t know that gender roles is what inspired Pokémon protagonists to be “ father-less”. Where does it say the protagonist of X/Y’s father is in Kanto?

Pikachu315111

JAPE Judge!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Interesting. I didn’t know that gender roles is what inspired Pokémon protagonists to be “ father-less”. Where does it say the protagonist of X/Y’s father is in Kanto?
Bulbapedia mentions it and that they keep in contact by writing letters. It might be an interactable object in your house somewhere, or dialogue that Bulbapedia didn't record for her yet. However I was reminded by a GameFAQ thread that if you examine your family's car in USUM it says "It's your dad's car. Mom brought it along so she could use it to go out and run errands...".

Merritt

literally the textbook definition of a tsundere
is a Community Contributor
I took a look, and the "player's father sends letters to the player's mother" is actually Rotomdex dialogue.

Hey, [VAR TRNICK(0001)]![WAIT 40] I wonder what kind of Trainer will challenge you next at the Pokémon League!
Hey, didn’t your mom get a letter from your dad the other day? She seemed really happy!

One thing I really like about Unova is the emphasis on dynamic music, a feature that really needs to be brought back.

From the amazing "Victory Lies Before You" / Gym Leader's Last Pokemon music (why hasn't this track from the anime gotten a clean release, it sounds amazing there too) to the music changing between seasons to the overlooked changing in BPM of the cave music (and the Dreamyard) when you go deeper, it's just awesome. The low HP music is also a neat idea even though it can overwrite epic music sometimes. There's a great article on the subject too: https://whimsicallytheoretical.com/2017/01/03/pokemon-black-sound-design-music-an-in-depth-analysis/

But, no dynamic music listing would be complete without mentioning two areas: the Badge Check Gates in BW1. With the Badge Check Gates, instruments are added as you go through each Badge Check Gate, eventually building up to the main Victory Road theme at the end. It's SUCH a cool idea to do, sets the endgame tone well, and makes up for the (in my opinion) otherwise fairly unexciting Victory Road theme (though not as bland as Sinnoh's). It's a really awesome moment in Black and White, and it's such a shame that while the Badge Check Gates in BW2 look cool, it's nothing compared to the buildup the prequels offered.

The Village Bridge theme is also really cool. It has potentially like eight different variations on the music, all for an initially postgame area in BW1 (which was put in the main game in BW2). You have the harpsichord, acoustic guitar, grass flute, beatboxing, "Enka Vocals" as a video calls it, an instruments part, a vocals part and a without beatboxing variation. It's such a cool idea and only adds to the fantastic atmosphere that the location already has by showing a timeless village with great, varied scenery with plenty to explore.

Say what you will about questionable design choices like late evolution levels and the changed EXP system of Unova, but the dynamic music was very immersive and needs to make a comeback in a later game. In general, the normal music is pretty good too. Every town and city has a unique theme, even Anville Town (with a flute player) and Lacunosa Town (a postgame area in BW1 made into main game in BW2 again). I'm sorry if I gushed and repeated myself some, but I just think the dynamic music feature is not talked about when people talk about Gen 5.

(Edit): And another thing is the awesome varied Gym music in BW2. Roxie's song, Burgh's tranquillity, Elesa's...amazing stage number with encounter themes used NOWHERE ELSE for the Beauty trainers, the changing music from the start to the in-between to the GIVE ME WHAT I NEED into the main gym theme, Clay's adventurous mining tune, Skyla's serene grace of the air, Drayden's...BATTLE MARCH, and Marlon's elevator music...Even Cheren's Gym, who shares the gym theme from the previous games, emphasizes the basics from BW1, even if is unchanged. Only Elesa's may be dynamic, sure, but BW2 are the only games to have variations on the Gym theme (while unrelated, Successor Korrina's remix of the Gen 6 Gym Leader theme is awesome even if it only lasts for two seconds).

So yeah, dynamic music is awesome and underused. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)