Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Hello,

Very new to Comp Pokemon

When you guys talk about 0 IV (Like Attack on the Clefable in the sand team), does that mean actually 0? What is the best way to go about attaining that? Using Destiny Knot and just waiting until you get a low IV?

When you guys talk about 0 IV (Like Attack on the Clefable in the sand team), does that mean actually 0? What is the best way to go about attaining that? Using Destiny Knot and just waiting until you get a low IV?
Yes its actually 0, reason being foul play exist, so if you're a special attacker that has no use for the stat, it makes you take less from foul play. A more concerning reason; it also lessens how much strength sap heals since it heals based on your physical attack stolen.

You pretty much just have to RNG 0 IV, its a 1/32 chance it will be 0, and play around passing it via destiny knot/power items. Look around your box for anything in the egg group you can potential jumpstart with, its kinda tricky since you're essentially trying to get a 6 IV mon but the 6th IV is 0 instead of 31.

In the end how does Body Press work? How much increases the power according to the defense of the user? Does it take into account changes in stats?
It just uses the defense stat for the calculation instead of the Attack stat, so boosting up with Bulk Up/Iron Defense wil

How do you damage calc Dracovish Strong Jaw Fishious Rend correctly? The one I've been using has it so Strong Jaw doesn't even affect Rend. I made it so that I used Psychic Fang instead, turned it into a water type and gave it 170 BP to account for Rend's effect of being stronger if Vish goes first or if the opponent switched.

Is that correct? Or did I do something wrong?

How do you damage calc Dracovish Strong Jaw Fishious Rend correctly? The one I've been using has it so Strong Jaw doesn't even affect Rend. I made it so that I used Psychic Fang instead, turned it into a water type and gave it 170 BP to account for Rend's effect of being stronger if Vish goes first or if the opponent switched.

Is that correct? Or did I do something wrong?
Yea that's correct.

Pardon the silly question, but I can't seem to find anywhere that lists every mechanical effect of Dynamax and Gigantamax. I haven't played Sw/Sh, what does it actually do, stat-wise (aside from changing moves to Max moves)?

Pardon the silly question, but I can't seem to find anywhere that lists every mechanical effect of Dynamax and Gigantamax. I haven't played Sw/Sh, what does it actually do, stat-wise (aside from changing moves to Max moves)?
The only stat change that happens is that max HP increases by 100%

Thanks! Is the BP for Max Moves up anywhere?
Serebii has them listed. Just click the max move you want, and find the move. The powers for G-max moves aren't listed, though they apparently use the same damages of the corresponding max move. Though I am now curious if that's the case with Chi Strike and Malodor, as their corresponding max moves use lower base powers to compensate for boosting Attack and Special Attack.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Is there a possibility of the Viability Rankings being delayed? Right now it's all but guaranteed that at least normal Dynamaxing is gonna be banned according to statements made on the Policy Review thread, and should that happen it could render current consensus on what is top-tier and what isn't completely irrelevant.

Given Dynamax is being a bit... Well, problematic, to put it mildly, why not use semi-invulnurable moves like Fly, Dig, Dive, etc? It wastes a turn of the opponent's Dynamax, thus turning it from three ungodly turns to two? Heck, if applied to a fast enough mon, they could use the semi-invulnurable turn and then pivot the next.

Given Dynamax is being a bit... Well, problematic, to put it mildly, why not use semi-invulnurable moves like Fly, Dig, Dive, etc? It wastes a turn of the opponent's Dynamax, thus turning it from three ungodly turns to two? Heck, if applied to a fast enough mon, they could use the semi-invulnurable turn and then pivot the next.
I've gone over this in the metagame discussion thread, but the problem with using semi-invulnerable moves is that outside of facing a Dynamaxed Pokemon, they are utterly dysfunctional as attacks. Almost all of them have only average power, so unless you're Arceus-Ghost rocking a 120 power Shadow Force (and with the alternative being a 70 power Shadow Claw) you won't be doing much damage to anything, as your opponent is free to switch into a resist, and anything with Recover / Roost / etc. can almost completely ignore the attacks due to having an extra turn to heal.

They also don't even seem that good at dealing with Dynamaxing. If the Dynamaxer is faster than you (which is pretty likely given the popularity of Max Airstream and speed-boosting abilities) they can still easily attack you as you select the move, then block the attack with Max Guard (most Dynamaxers are set-up sweepers, so they're likely to have Max Guard). And even if you're somehow faster, the Dynamaxer can still just take the hit and attack you after your attack finishes (remember that these moves aren't super strong, and that Dynamaxing doubles your health).

I've gone over this in the metagame discussion thread, but the problem with using semi-invulnerable moves is that outside of facing a Dynamaxed Pokemon, they are utterly dysfunctional as attacks. Almost all of them have only average power, so unless you're Arceus-Ghost rocking a 120 power Shadow Force (and with the alternative being a 70 power Shadow Claw) you won't be doing much damage to anything, as your opponent is free to switch into a resist, and anything with Recover / Roost / etc. can almost completely ignore the attacks due to having an extra turn to heal.

They also don't even seem that good at dealing with Dynamaxing. If the Dynamaxer is faster than you (which is pretty likely given the popularity of Max Airstream and speed-boosting abilities) they can still easily attack you as you select the move, then block the attack with Max Guard (most Dynamaxers are set-up sweepers, so they're likely to have Max Guard). And even if you're somehow faster, the Dynamaxer can still just take the hit and attack you after your attack finishes (remember that these moves aren't super strong, and that Dynamaxing doubles your health).
Thank you very much for the answer. It's also a shame that literally the only Pokemon that can possibly do much of anything against Dynamax are all Ubers (Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus). This is, quite possibly, the most broken gimmick I have seen in practice.

How did I get out-sped?? Playing in gen 8 battle stadium singles. Had a darmanitan zen galar out max speed points at 205. Used earthquake and was out-sped by the opponents dracovish using fishious rent. Dracovish max speed is 139 vs mine at 205... What happened here? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

How did I get out-sped?? Playing in gen 8 battle stadium singles. Had a darmanitan zen galar out max speed points at 205. Used earthquake and was out-sped by the opponents dracovish using fishious rent. Dracovish max speed is 139 vs mine at 205... What happened here? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Choice Scarf

252 HP EVs vs 248 HP EVs

For most pokemon, choosing 248 HP EVs gives you an odd HP number. Let’s say it is 299.

252 HP EVs gives you an even HP number. Let’s say it is 300.

A lot of people choose to do 248 so you take less damage from stealth rock.

Here’s where my question is:

You take 1 less damage right? But you also have 1 less HP to begin with (299 vs 300).

So in other words, as long as you switch into stealth rock twice or more, 248 EVs is better? Since you’ll be taking 1 less damage twice (or more), which is equal to 2 less damage.

Did I get that right?

252 HP EVs vs 248 HP EVs

For most pokemon, choosing 248 HP EVs gives you an odd HP number. Let’s say it is 299.

252 HP EVs gives you an even HP number. Let’s say it is 300.

A lot of people choose to do 248 so you take less damage from stealth rock.

Here’s where my question is:

You take 1 less damage right? But you also have 1 less HP to begin with (299 vs 300).

So in other words, as long as you switch into stealth rock twice or more, 248 EVs is better? Since you’ll be taking 1 less damage twice (or more), which is equal to 2 less damage.

Did I get that right?
At this small of a scale, the exact amount of damage you take or HP you have matters far less than how proportional damage is rounded.

The advantage of having an odd HP stat is most pronounced with Pokemon that are super weak to Stealth Rock. If a Volcarona with even HP switches into Stealth Rocks twice, it's dead. If a Volcarona with odd HP switches into Stealth Rocks twice, it will survive with one HP remaining. This applies to other things like Substitute and Spikes. In general, an odd HP stat will leave you at one HP in a situation where an even HP would deal exactly enough damage to kill you.

That said, there are some situations where the rounding is more favorable with even HP. The most obvious is with Belly Drum. Many Belly Drum users will hold a Sitrus Berry to heal themselves after sacrificing half their health. If the drummer has even HP, the berry is consumed without issue. But if the drummer has odd HP, using Belly Drum from full health will leave them one HP away from eating the berry.

At this small of a scale, the exact amount of damage you take or HP you have matters far less than how proportional damage is rounded.

The advantage of having an odd HP stat is most pronounced with Pokemon that are super weak to Stealth Rock. If a Volcarona with even HP switches into Stealth Rocks twice, it's dead. If a Volcarona with odd HP switches into Stealth Rocks twice, it will survive with one HP remaining. This applies to other things like Substitute and Spikes. In general, an odd HP stat will leave you at one HP in a situation where an even HP would deal exactly enough damage to kill you.

That said, there are some situations where the rounding is more favorable with even HP. The most obvious is with Belly Drum. Many Belly Drum users will hold a Sitrus Berry to heal themselves after sacrificing half their health. If the drummer has even HP, the berry is consumed without issue. But if the drummer has odd HP, using Belly Drum from full health will leave them one HP away from eating the berry.
if I’m doing my math correctly, a Pokémon at 300 hp takes 36 damage from stealth rock. Does a Pokémon at 299 take 36 damage also?

So I noticed it in a WeedleTwineedle video a friend sent me and wanted to be sure, cause it does work on showdown still rn. I know Contrary still does, but do abilities like Defiant/Competitive still proc on sticky webs in SWSH? Wanted to clarify cause that would be a mechanics change on showdown in the future if that does work that way now ie. The court changing sticky web strat. (Assuming this is a result of court change treating the webs as still “set by you?”)

(this was the video in question)

Last edited:
is it confirmed that Home Pokemon will be able to keep their moves that they can't learn in Gen 8? (like everything getting toxic, for example) seems a little odd for GF to cull the movepools just to give it back...

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
is it confirmed that Home Pokemon will be able to keep their moves that they can't learn in Gen 8? (like everything getting toxic, for example) seems a little odd for GF to cull the movepools just to give it back...
We don't know still how Pokemon Home will actually work but it's very likely that transferred Pokemon will keep their moves learnt in Gen 7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)