Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Not sure if it helps get more information, and this actually has no competitive impact at all, but I noticed something about Fishious Rend and Beak Bolt.

My Scarf Dracovish was sweeping Hop's final team in the post-game by Fishious Rending everything in sight until it failed to OHKO his Snorlax.

Hop used a Full Restore... and Fishious Rend dealt less damage than before (the first hit put Snorlax in red health; the second hit put him on yellow health with a critical). So there are more actions that prevent double damage.

This makes me think there is just one condition for Fishious Rend and Beak Bolt to deal double damage: the target Pokémon must have not already used its current turn. Things like attacking, using a status move, or the trainer using an item count as using a turn on the Pokémon, whereas a Pokémon that has just switched in has not used a turn yet.

So the question changes to "Does not being able to move (e.g. flinching) count as using your turn?". I guess it does, but it's best to check...

Last edited:
So can Meltan evolve into Melmetal in this game? And would Evolite work with it?
Actually went and looked at Kurt's pastes, according to this one, Meltan cannot evolve into Melmetal in this game (so you'll have to evolve it in GO to get Melmetal).

And also, I'm 99% sure it will not get an Evolite boost, considering precedent on other mons (Cosplay Pikachu is an example).

This also would kinda mean when Home is released/NatDex gets an LC mode, Meltan wouldn't be considered an LC. And also Meltan is getting an Evolite boost in the NatDex mode, even tho it most likely shouldn't (although someone should really test it).

On Showdown, Clangorous Soul does not cost any health to be used. Here is an example of that happening: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1017062059

The player should not have been able to get boost after taking Obstagoon's Facade, but the Kommo-o still got the boosts anyway.

He also asks if Soundproof is supposed to block Clangorous Soul from being used because he tried to use Clangorous Soul on his own Kommo-o. I believe this to be the correct implementation of the move, but I'm not sure.

On Showdown, Clangorous Soul does not cost any health to be used. Here is an example of that happening: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1017062059

The player should not have been able to get boost after taking Obstagoon's Facade, but the Kommo-o still got the boosts anyway.

He also asks if Soundproof is supposed to block Clangorous Soul from being used because he tried to use Clangorous Soul on his own Kommo-o. I believe this to be the correct implementation of the move, but I'm not sure.
Soundproof Kommo-O can still be affected by its own Clangorous Soul despite it being a sound move (both positive and negative) - would be silly if it doesn't, though

BTW using Clangorous Soul after losing 2/3+ HP without failing straight up is definitely a bug

Last edited:
According to Serebii, several Pokémon got new Egg Groups. While the Ralts and Trapinch lines were previously noticed (and put into PS accordingly), Serebii also claims the Hawlucha, Bergmite, and Noibat lines are also in new Egg Groups now. Can anyone confirm that?

Matleo

Banned deucer.
did maybe Kinesis or Telekinesis change?
Hmmm maybe some pokemon got similar weird immunities like Pallosand, remember against Telekinesis?

Test abilities that always worked only in doubles if they maybe got something in singles.

Do moves such as Earthquake or Surf affect several Pkm even if the moves are dynamaxed? This might be important for VGC.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Do moves such as Earthquake or Surf affect several Pkm even if the moves are dynamaxed? This might be important for VGC.
Max moves don't keep the abilities of their normal move counterparts, like how Z-moves didn't keep them as well, so they're just single target attacks now afaik.

Max moves don't keep the abilities of their normal move counterparts, like how Z-moves didn't keep them as well, so they're just single target attacks now afaik.
That's correct.

All Max moves are identical outside of power, no matter what the base move effect is.
(Also influences certain mons like Dracovish who actually do more damage without Dinamaxing due to Fishiour Rend mechanics)

Do G Max Chi Strike and G Max Malodor use the same reduced damage as Max Knuckle and Max Ooze? The reason the max moves are weaker is presumably to balance out the offensive stat boosts, but Chi Strike and Malodor give no such boosts.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but can anyone check if Octolok doesn't prevent Ghost types to retreat (like it should)? This move is a Fighting type Status move, and other moves like Fairy Lock and Block doesn't prevent Ghosts to retreat.

I'm saying this because I used Octolock on a Ghost type in Showdown and it actually trapped it.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but can anyone check if Octolok doesn't prevent Ghost types to retreat (like it should)? This move is a Fighting type Status move, and other moves like Fairy Lock and Block doesn't prevent Ghosts to retreat.

I'm saying this because I used Octolock on a Ghost type in Showdown and it actually trapped it.
Ghost types are immune to trapping, so my guess is what you see in Showdown should be a bug

I just tried out Life Dew + Steam Engine in a double battle. Unfortunately, Steam Engine did not activate when healed with Life Dew.

Edit: Rain Dance, also no. Soak, also no
Life Dew is not boosted by rain
Life Dew healed when the partner used Protect and when it had a Substitute up. (Heal Pulse otoh didn't work on the Substitute)

Edit again: Will O Wisp from partner does not activate it either! I did check if partner moves can activate it at all (they could), so it seems the move must do damage to the Pokemon to activate the ability.

Last edited:
Max-power is a function of the base move, not the max move. Similarly, Multi-Attack is coded with 95 max-power on the basis that you could use it as a fighting or poison move, even if you're actually using it to do something else.
That seems very relevant to Silvally in raids, and feels like another unnecessary nerf that totally gimps it. Would it really have been broken if Silvally-Fighting of all things could hit with 130BP Fighting moves that self-snowball? It couldn't even make the cut in PU last generation.

idk if this has been asked, but
1. Can you imprision max moves?
2. Does neutralizing gas work on Shadow Shield/Full Metal Body (which can't be hit by mold breaker) or abilities that can't be effected by gastro acid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)