Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Apologize if this has been answered already, but does Stalwart prevent Magic Bounce from bouncing back status moves? If so, it's incorrectly implemented on showdown.

Utility Umbrella:
Part of why this item seemed screwy is because the description is needlessly vague in saying "weather." Simply put, this item has no interactions at all with sand or hail, only sun and rain. This is most clearly illustrated with Ice Body and Rain Dish - the former still works when the user has a Utility Umbrella, while the latter does not. Given that it's an umbrella, this makes sense, but the description is still poor.

Anyways, as for what it does when equipped by a Pokemon:
-Ignores the sun/rain damage buffs from opposing Pokemon (via BountyHunterStev) (EDIT: it also ignores the nerfs)
-Prevents their Flower Gift, Swift Swim, Rain Dish, Leaf Guard, Dry Skin (both weather-related effects) from activating (likely any sun/rain ability, but this was all I tested)
-Their Morning Sun is unaffected by rain and still heals 50%
-Requires their Solar Beam to charge even with sun active
-Their Weather Ball remains Normal-type even in sun/rain (still works in sand)
-Their moves are still affected by the water/fire damage modifiers from sun/rain
-Their Hurricane still seems to never miss in rain (I got 12 consecutive hits)
-It has no effect on opposing Swift Swim users
-Opposing Weather Balls are still typed correctly
-They still take no-charge and half damage Solar Beams in sun and rain from opposing Pokemon, respectively

I'm interested in how it interacts with Solar Power as well, but that's annoying to obtain in this game.

Last edited:
Utility Umbrella:
Part of why this item seemed screwy is because the description is needlessly vague in saying "weather." Simply put, this item has no interactions at all with sand or hail - only sun and rain. This is most clearly illustrated with Ice Body and Rain Dish - the former still works when the user has a Utility Umbrella, while the latter does not. Given that it's an umbrella, this makes sense, but the description is still poor.

-Ignores the sun/rain damage buffs from opposing Pokemon (via BountyHunterStev)
-Prevents their Flower Gift, Swift Swim, Rain Dish, Leaf Guard, Dry Skin (both weather-related effects) from activating (likely any sun/rain ability, but this was all I tested)
-Their moves are still affected by the water/fire damage modifiers from sun/rain
-They still take no-charge and half damage Solar Beams in sun and rain from opposing Pokemon, respectively

I'm interested in how it interacts with Solar Power as well, but that's annoying to obtain in this game.
Very niche item then. Perhaps it could be amusing to Trick/Switcheroo it onto an opposing Swift Swim Pokémon....

Should also be useful to equip to a Dry Skin pokemon so it can still switch into water attacks but won’t take damage from Strong Sunlight.

Question I still haven’t seen answered:
Does Wide Guard block Dragon Darts?

Utility Umbrella:
Part of why this item seemed screwy is because the description is needlessly vague in saying "weather." Simply put, this item has no interactions at all with sand or hail - only sun and rain. This is most clearly illustrated with Ice Body and Rain Dish - the former still works when the user has a Utility Umbrella, while the latter does not. Given that it's an umbrella, this makes sense, but the description is still poor.

BountyHunterStev said that the umbrella ignores rain and sun boosts, but does it ignore rain and sun nerfs as well? I don't mean Solar Beam, as that's a separate thing. But if I give this to a Ferrothorn in the rain, will Fire attacks still be weakened?

The only idea I came up with for this thing to be used is to give it to a Morning Sun / Moonlight / Synthesis Pokemon so that they can better check rain sweepers. Though Marz's Dry Skin idea actually sounds like it could work too, at least in theory. In practice, I suspect neither of our ideas will lead to this item seeing much use. Rain is certainly the most threatening of the weathers, but it would need to be extremely dominating for players to resort to using this, though Dynamax Gyarados and Barraskewda, as well as the monsterous power of Dracovish, could lead to that meta being a reality. As for Dry Skin, not only is sun much rarer than rain or even sand, but Dry Skin is an extremely rare ability. There are only four fully-evolved Pokemon that get it: Toxicroak, Heliolisk, Jynx, and Parasect, and the latter two aren't even in these games.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Utility Umbrella:

can be passed on by moves like Switcheroo and destroy and other weather users Weatherball and ability when working in weather? sun and rain?
Swift Swim? Delphox and other pokemon could need that taking we have, Chlorophyl, Sand Rush, Slush Rush, can be a speed changer... also Sand Force could get nerfed...

How does the umbrela react to powder moves? icicle crash? moves that hit from above? Avalanche? tested for moves that hit from above?

Can't understand why Dragon Darts aren't in the ball and bomb category?
Taking that they explode after hitting and are like "missiles" and can't undertstand why they can't hit pokemon in semi invulnerable turns taking they can change targets from fairy and Protect to a other means they should follow something that Bounces, Dives, Flies, Sky Drops, maybe Phantom force could be protected because it's some kind of stealth and Dig because ground blocks but theoretically the missiles are ghost pokemon, you get what I mean here...

Saw that we get confirmation of "ball and bomb moves", would be cool if Grav Apple would get tested.
Also sound moves, yawn, snore, Snooze, resonance... Drum beating, why? why? Gamefreak ,nintento and Pokemon Company why?

Last edited:
Tested Ripen with the Jaboca and Rowap Berries. It doubles the damage given from 1/8 to 1/4.

Can't understand why Dragon Darts aren't in the ball and bomb category?
Because the Dreepy launched aren't balls or bombs.

Drum beating, why? why? Gamefreak ,nintento and Pokemon Company why?
Because the noise of the drum being beaten isn't the attack. The drum is beaten to call vines from the ground and attack the opponent

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Because the Dreepy launched aren't balls or bombs.
animation clearly shows blasts. They could make it one for sake...
those dreepy move and hit more like bullets then arrows, and they explode with a blast like missiles, bullets or bombs.

Because the noise of the drum being beaten isn't the attack. The drum is beaten to call vines from the ground and attack the opponent
could be that the sound powerful waves are send through the vines that hit the target. Would be a physical grass sound move...

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^Buddy you gotta stop trying to apply logic to Pokemon mechanics before you just disappoint yourself further...

Powder is currently unusable, the other Powder moves work normally on Gmax and DMaxes.
There is no "wind" flag so as far as I'm concerned all the "wind" moves work as they should. Except for Whirlwind, which fails.
As far as I know the only sound move that gets blocked is Roar, for the same reason Whirlwind gets blocked.

Does Dynamax cannon/behemoth blade/behemoth bash double in power against Eternamax Eternatus?
Yes -- you can see this in action during the boss fight against it.

Utility Umbrella:

-Ignores the sun/rain damage buffs from opposing Pokemon (via BountyHunterStev) (EDIT: it also ignores the nerfs)

I infer from this that the way it works is treating the Pokemon using the item as if it is not under the weather condition. For this purpose, accuracy and damage calculations care about whether the *target* of the move is under the weather condition, not the user. In other words, it's a modifier to damage taken, not damage dealt. This is notably inconsistent with how terrain damage calculation works, which generally cares whether the user of the move is affected by terrain but not the target.

Solar Power's interaction would be interesting to know with this in mind. My assumption is that it negates the ability entirely, since the Special Attack modifier would be applied to the user's stats and thus track the user's weather status.

I also suspect the item doesn't apply to sand and hail because, if it did, the way it works would mean negating their damage and make the item almost strictly better than Safety Goggles.

It uses the Defense Stat as your Attack during damage calculation. Thus defense boosts should raise it and such.
No user has yet posted any "concrete evidence" in this thread demonstrating that Body Press behaves as such in-game. Something like an in-game observation of Body Press's damage rolls compared to expected damage calculation will suffice, similar to the other collections of evidence posted previously already.
It should be obvious that Body Press behaves this way, but personally, my mind won't be at ease until the post of proof is made.

It's also just a little surprising that no one's posted proof yet. Body Press and the interactions around it have been asked about multiple times in this thread alone with no replies that demonstrate their claims in action. Although, it's not like Body Press is a research priority compared to mechanics like Dynamaxing interactions, so I can wait on this move.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I also suspect the item doesn't apply to sand and hail because, if it did, the way it works would mean negating their damage and make the item almost strictly better than Safety Goggles.
I understand it doesn't prevent sand/hail damage, but does a rock type holding the umbrella in a sandstorm still get the 50% SpD boost?

Applying logic to Pokémon here, but umbrellas (and parasols) are specifically used to block rain and sun in real life. They're not really meant to be used to block solid objects.

The item description still should have been worded better, though.

So I was thinking of using boots shedinja to force a Dynamax to go for a specific coverage move. Endure would be better than protect against a dyna in this situation. Like if your up against gyra it has to airstream or uhhhh darkness (crunch). Does max guard go off the same mechanic of double protect/endure/detect if I dyna next turn?

Very niche item then. Perhaps it could be amusing to Trick/Switcheroo it onto an opposing Swift Swim Pokémon....

Should also be useful to equip to a Dry Skin pokemon so it can still switch into water attacks but won’t take damage from Strong Sunlight.

Question I still haven’t seen answered:
Does Wide Guard block Dragon Darts?
To answer your question on Dragon Darts... It still hits even if Wide Guard is active (no matter the target selected). Video Proof I did with my friend Leaf.

Edit: To note, it is currently incorrect on showdown. I have informed the team there of what I have found.

To answer your question on Dragon Darts... It still hits even if Wide Guard is active (no matter the target selected). Video Proof I did with my friend Leaf.

Edit: To note, it is currently incorrect on showdown. I have informed the team there of what I have found.
From what I understand is it also ignores the damage reduction that spread moves get in doubles, so it really does seem to be considered as two single target hits that happen to attack both opponents.

No user has yet posted any "concrete evidence" in this thread demonstrating that Body Press behaves as such in-game. Something like an in-game observation of Body Press's damage rolls compared to expected damage calculation will suffice, similar to the other collections of evidence posted previously already.
It should be obvious that Body Press behaves this way, but personally, my mind won't be at ease until the post of proof is made.

It's also just a little surprising that no one's posted proof yet. Body Press and the interactions around it have been asked about multiple times in this thread alone with no replies that demonstrate their claims in action. Although, it's not like Body Press is a research priority compared to mechanics like Dynamaxing interactions, so I can wait on this move.

Does burn effect the damage output of body press? I believe burn diminished foul play damage so I assume it’s the same case.
Yes, since burn reduces the final damage of physical moves rather than reducing the stat itself

Also something that probably is mentioned before but somehow not posted in the front page:
- moves that relate to weight such as low kick will not work and will fail (shows message (Pokemon) shook it's head, it seems like it won't work)
- RKS system is unsurprisingly unaffected by Neutralizing Gas; seems that last gen things that are not neutralized by Gastric Acid or similar moves are not affected either

Last edited:
Some questions for G-Max moves in Doubles:
  • Do G-Max Befuddle, G-Max Malodor, G-Max Stun Shock or G-Max Volt Crash set status on the other foe, even if it has a Substitute? What if it is already statused?
  • Does G-Max Centiskorch set Fire Spin? What if the other foe has a Substitute? What if it has Flash Fire?
  • Does G-Max Sandblast set Sand Tomb? What if the other foe has a Substitute? What if it's not grounded?
  • Does G-Max Snooze affect the other foe if it has a Substitute?
  • Does G-Max Sweetness cure your ally, even if it has a Substitute? What if it has Sap Sipper? What if the user has Sap Sipper?
  • Do G-Max Volcalith or G-Max Wildfire continue to do damage even if the foes switch?

Some questions for G-Max moves in Doubles:
  • Do G-Max Befuddle, G-Max Malodor, G-Max Stun Shock or G-Max Volt Crash set status on the other foe, even if it has a Substitute? What if it is already statused?
  • Does G-Max Centiskorch set Fire Spin? What if the other foe has a Substitute? What if it has Flash Fire?
  • Does G-Max Sandblast set Sand Tomb? What if the other foe has a Substitute? What if it's not grounded?
  • Does G-Max Snooze affect the other foe if it has a Substitute?
  • Does G-Max Sweetness cure your ally, even if it has a Substitute? What if it has Sap Sipper? What if the user has Sap Sipper?
  • Do G-Max Volcalith or G-Max Wildfire continue to do damage even if the foes switch?
Substitute omits any status that would be applied to its owner, so regardless it will not be poisoned/paralyzed/trapped
Sandblast does not hit target that are levitating (flying/levitate) in the first place
If Aromatherapy is of any implication, Sweetness would not affect targets that are behind substitutes either
Vocalith and Wildfire will do damage even if your enemies switch

So is it known that dynamaxing invalidates both the choice lock and the actual choice items boost as well? Just wondering as I was in battle tree and I used dynamaxed scarf excadrill and my speed boost was instantly removed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)