Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

If your ally or foe is in the middle of a two-turn move, does Tea Time still make them eat their Berry?

Edit: Also, how does Tea Time interact with Unnerve, if at all?

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
mathfreak231: sorry to ask every week but does Ripen Sitrus heal by floor(maxhp / 4) * 2 or floor(maxhp / 4 * 2)?
Ripen w/ Sitrus Berry floors the "max HP / 4" before doubling it.
In this video, you can see that a 50 HP Applin recovers 24 HP from Sitrus due to floor(50/4) * 2. The other option would allow it to heal 25 HP.
(This means that a 25/50 HP Applin would only heal up to 49/50 HP even though Sitrus is 1/4 and Ripen doubles it.)

I tested Neutralizing Gas vs Desolate Land and it works as expected (what are we supposed to expect these days when every ability seems different?):
- If both are sent out on the field at the same time, Desolate Land doesn't activate.
- If Neutralizing Gas leaves, Desolate Land activates right away.
- If Neutralizing Gas is sent out while Desolate Land is active, it says the harsh sunlight faded.
- If Neutralizing Gas leaves yet again, Desolate Land activates again (seems no limit to how often it can activate as long as Ngas is leaving).

Forewarn and Anticipation seem to be able to detect the snapped Hidden Power and its type. See this example:
- Anticipation shudders when the only super effective move on the other side is HP Fighting.
- Forewarn actually names "Hidden Power."
- Forewarn points out "Fire Lash" on a Gigantamax Centiskorch rather than the Max/Gmax moves.

Regarding hacked formes, Keldeo-Resolute keeps its forme even without Secret Sword. Eiscue-Noice, Cramorant-Gulping, Cramorant-Gorging, and Morpeko-Hangry all reverted to their base forme on starting up the game.

Unaware ignores Defense boosts on Body Press:
With no boosts, Swoobat took 16 damage.
After 3 Iron Defense (+6 defense at this point), Swoobat took 18 damage.

If your ally or foe is in the middle of a two-turn move, does Tea Time still make them eat their Berry?

Edit: Also, how does Tea Time interact with Unnerve, if at all?
A few tests on Teatime:
- Teatime ignores Unnerve from opposing Galvantula.
- Teatime goes through Substitute.
- Teatime targets all Pokemon on the field.
- Teatime misses during the semi-invulnerability state: "The opposing Wailord avoided the attack!"

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Related, but how does Inflitrator interact with Disguise now? Disguise's been nerfed but we don't know necessarily to what extent.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Just tested by having an Infiltrator Dragapult use Dragon Darts on an Eiscue.

The first hit broke the Ice Face, and only the second one dealt damage.
sound moves break through substitutes how is it with Disquise and Ice face now?

Have a more complicated question...
You all dynamax and gigantamax a pokemon in the first turn its out?

How does a pokemon that lost hp or got inflicted with a status condidtion react after transforming?
still has the status condition?
if it was before trapped in a whirlpool is after dynamaxing still trapped or ends the whirlpool, octolock and so on?

a Disabled move before Dynamax cant be used during Dynamax as a max move or can it?

if a pokemon was Cursed before Dynamax, is the curse active even after Dynamax?
taking its a form of switch in and out at the same turn actualy?

How does a pokemon that lost hp or got inflicted with a status condidtion react after transforming?
still has the status condition?
if it was before trapped in a whirlpool is after dynamaxing still trapped or ends the whirlpool, octolock and so on?
--

if a pokemon was Cursed before Dynamax, is the curse active even after Dynamax?
Dynamax only increases HP, doesn't free from any status or condition.

Something you should know if you either played or watched the game more than 5 minutes....

a Disabled move before Dynamax cant be used during Dynamax as a max move or can it?
The Max/Giga moves are not related to their base ones, can still be used. They behave consistently with Z-moves in this regard.

You all dynamax and gigantamax a pokemon in the first turn its out?
I'm unsure exactly how this is a mechanical question, but that's what a 1000 mmr player would do. Dynamax is picked based on the gameplan and situation. Some VGC strategies rely on turn 1 Dynamax snowball (cough cough whimsicott/arcanine), but that's about it.

So I'm on a Wi-Fi Battle now, and on a Pressure Corviknight mirror match up, only my Brave Bird's PP were reduced by the effect of Pressure, while the ones of my other moves, Substitute, Roost and Bulk Up didn't.

Did Pressure change to only affect damage moves or was there something else happening? If someone else could test that would be great.

So I'm on a Wi-Fi Battle now, and on a Pressure Corviknight mirror match up, only my Brave Bird's PP were reduced by the effect of Pressure, while the ones of my other moves, Substitute, Roost and Bulk Up didn't.

Did Pressure change to only affect damage moves or was there something else happening? If someone else could test that would be great.
It always worked that way. Only moves that target or indirectly affect the opponent get an extra PP deducted.

So I don't know if it's just me but G-Max Replenish seems to have weird mechanics. As far as I'm aware it's always supposed to replenish a used berry. Though for example in some cases where a berry gets used in the same turn that it's used, it won't replenish. And when I Dynamaxed on the turn after I used a berry and used G-Max Replenish, I didn't get the berry back. Either it only replenishes the berry in specific cases or the replenish rate isn't 100%. I don't know.

Not entirely true. It does free you from Encore, and I think a couple of other corner cases.
It doesn't tecnically "free" you, simply Max Moves (like Z-moves) are completely independant from status (they also ignore taunt, choice lock, disable)

I suppose this was assumed, but never hurts to be sure: are flying and levitating pokemon immune to the steel spikes scattered by G-Max Steelsurge?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1024668833

Why does Dynamax block Heavy Slam in the 2nd move of this battle?
Dynamax just has that effect of stopping weight based moves and such, ingame it says something like "the pokemon shook its head".

The guy who gives the Heat Rock says that sun will thaw frozen pokemon. I found this to be false for 1 scenario and probably most others (tested with using Sunny Day in Battle Cafe double battle, opponent Milcery was still frozen and did not thaw out on its turn, no video just yet). Wonder what it says in Japanese/other languages.

1575694701234.png

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
G-Max Snooze only has a 50% chance to trigger its effect of inducing Yawn on its target, and it can only induce Yawn on its target, never on the target's ally. The combined efforts of tests from myself, Anubis, and peach gave us a sample size of 404 uses of G-Max Snooze in Doubles play. It successfully induced the drowsy status (Yawn) 200/404 times. In addition,
  • It never inflicted Yawn on both opponents
  • After the drowsy effect was inflicted, it always put the target to sleep on the following turn (that is, the Yawn effect itself didn't have a fail rate)
These tests seem to be independently confirmed by VGC player Jamie Kean. Tests were done accounting for different factors like resistance vs. super-effectiveness, the actual amount of damage the move dealt, the remaining HP of the target, whether or not the target was Dynamaxed. I challenged my Twitter followers to provide evidence contrary to either of the above bulleted points, but I didn't receive anything. The cumulative results of these independent tests seem to suggest pretty strongly we've got the right numbers here.

EDIT: Anubis has also tested that G-Max Snooze can inflict the drowsy status even if the target has a Substitute, regardless of whether or not the Substitute is broken.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)