Unpopular opinions

Yet Another one of my unpopular opinion is this:
dragonite(1).png

Yea i actually think green shinies are kinda underrated for some mons and dnite is one example of it ( hydreigon and salamence are the others btw). As green is my 2nd favorite color and I think dragon types being green in their shinies is actually logical as most of the time,dragons in movies, cartoons, games and other medias are often portrayed as green in color. So I think these shinies are kinda underrated

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Yet Another one of my unpopular opinion is this:
View attachment 346901
Yea i actually think green shinies are kinda underrated for some mons and dnite is one example of it ( hydreigon and salamence are the others btw). As green is my 2nd favorite color and I think dragon types being green in their shinies is actually logical as most of the time,dragons in movies, cartoons, games and other medias are often portrayed as green in color. So I think these shinies are kinda underrated
I enjoy green too, but I don't like these because the shade they used sucks. It's like puke green.

Green works really well as a highlighter. Shiny Clefairy line and Chansey line benefit the green pink combo
Dragonite honestly works fine here, albeit looking more like a cartoon dinosaur, but the real kicker is how disgustingly overused green is for mostly mono colored mons. Espeon is probably the worst there
I agree green as a shade seems even better.
I enjoy green too, but I don't like these because the shade they used sucks. It's like puke green.
I think the main problem why people hate green shinies is because majority of shinies in pokemon (especially among dragon types) are often green. Though I do understand the now that you put it that way, it does seems kinda gross at the same time lol XD

It’s been months since I’ve posted but who cares.

Not exactly sure how unpopular this is and it’s something I thought about like two minutes before writing this post so I haven’t really considered too much of the pros and cons, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think Pokémon should have more side quests. I know some people like side quests while others despise them, and for a series like Pokémon that’s supposed to be easy to get into perhaps I’m not on my right track of thought for this. But thinking about the world of Pokémon, side quests could really help expand world building, have cooler fights than just your average trainer and small stories that showcase many aspects of Pokémon and people themselves.

Now, side quests are an incredibly double edged sword. As we know, writing in Pokémon in incredibly inconsistent; the last thing we need are incredibly boring sets of grindy quests with little to no payoff, leaving you feeling like you wasted your time for, let’s say a rare candy. There’s a lot which can go wrong with them. Additionally, it’s not like Pokémon hasn’t done small little things with characters before. One of my personal favourites is that Hiker who’ll trade you an Emogla for a Boldore in BW, then in BW2, he’ll trade you a Gigalith for an Emolga. If small little things like that happened a little more often then perhaps all these thoughts would not exist.

Anyway I’m curious to see what anyone else thinks about this. Like I said, a double-edged sword, there are probably a large amount of cons that I’m just not thinking about.

It’s been months since I’ve posted but who cares.

Not exactly sure how unpopular this is and it’s something I thought about like two minutes before writing this post so I haven’t really considered too much of the pros and cons, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think Pokémon should have more side quests. I know some people like side quests while others despise them, and for a series like Pokémon that’s supposed to be easy to get into perhaps I’m not on my right track of thought for this. But thinking about the world of Pokémon, side quests could really help expand world building, have cooler fights than just your average trainer and small stories that showcase many aspects of Pokémon and people themselves.

Now, side quests are an incredibly double edged sword. As we know, writing in Pokémon in incredibly inconsistent; the last thing we need are incredibly boring sets of grindy quests with little to no payoff, leaving you feeling like you wasted your time for, let’s say a rare candy. There’s a lot which can go wrong with them. Additionally, it’s not like Pokémon hasn’t done small little things with characters before. One of my personal favourites is that Hiker who’ll trade you an Emogla for a Boldore in BW, then in BW2, he’ll trade you a Gigalith for an Emolga. If small little things like that happened a little more often then perhaps all these thoughts would not exist.

Anyway I’m curious to see what anyone else thinks about this. Like I said, a double-edged sword, there are probably a large amount of cons that I’m just not thinking about.
I liked the sidequests in S&M and the little stories that came with them

can't say the same for the 3 that showed up in S&S though

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah the sidequests were one of my favorite parts of Sun and Moon (and USUM for that matter too) besides the story. One of the things I love so much about the Gen 7 games is that there are so many little things you can do on the side besides the main story, such as the Eevee users post-game quest where you battle old Eevee users and win an Eevium Z in the process, and it's a bittersweet reminder that everything fades away with time and how old age has rendered many legendary Eevee users past their prime (Jolteon user showing signs of Alzheimer's/dementia, Leafeon user doing a lot of surgery to deal with her aging appearance, Sylveon user passed away and now her granddaughter has the Sylveon). There were also quite a few in SM and USUM that involved the Trial Captains and added a lot of flavor to the region as well as the characters themselves. The Trial Captains and Kahunas had a lot of personality to begin with but the little quests added even more to their characters and dynamics. There were even a few around the hotel in Akala (Hano Grand Resort) and one in the Trainer's School at night in USUM. All these little things add up and make SM/USUM a much more fun and lively game imho.

The sidequests were not only fun but also did a fantastic job in worldbuilding around Alola. Alola is a really great region in that regard imo, because while it's fairly linear (it does have a few things off the beaten path though), the worldbuilding is spectacular and the little sidequests add a lot of stuff to do in the game and also make the characters and region so much more lively, and it helped make SM and USUM feel even more like an RPG with great character dynamics and region, and in general is one of those little things that I really like about the Gen 7 games.

I really, really want you to elaborate on this point considering by the time I finished my recent XY replay my opinion of the story absolutely tanked. I'm not mad at you, hell I legit admire people like you who are able to see something in media or components of media that pretty much nobody else can, and that's why I'm so curious to know your reasoning in greater depth.
My apologies for the tragically delayed response to your perfectly understandable inquiry to my contrarian position.

First, some backstory. I entered into the Pokemon fan base about two years after it invaded the shores of America. Thus, I grew up with Generation 1 (151!) as my main influence. Now at the time I didn't have a GameBoy system. My parents prohibited such devices. So I spent my Pokemon journeys in my backyard using my imagination to catch my party and defeat Team Rocket. (Undefeated record, btw. I knew my types. Complete Gary-Sue as a protagonist). I collected the cards, plushes, assorted food products. Remained steadfast through Gen 2 but slowly fell out by Gen 3-4. My grandaunt still gave me cards but I specifically despised the new card design and inflating HP/attack damage. So without video game systems and the card, I slowly lost interest.

Fast forward to college. A fellow student on my floor was into Pokemon. He asked me for my thoughts. I told him that I used to be a huge fan. He told me to watch the XY anime. I figured why not? So I did. Nice piece of escapism entertainment and I remembered why Pokemon was awesome and enjoyable. Needless to say, the Gen 6 Pokemon made a huge impression. I entered into the Disney College Program and for my birthday a fan from college sent me a 3DS with Pokemon Y. (I had played LeafGreen, Crystal, Emerald on an emulator by that point along with Yellow on a GameBoy a high school friend gave me). I would play Y on the bus while commuting to work. It felt like the perfect video game. A group of friends that would drop in and not stick around like glue, an assortment of new Pokemon that weren't locked behind postgame walls, a solid level curve. A stress free game at a time where the DCP (highly anticipated) turned out to be disappointing.

I understand the complaints about XY and perhaps if I came from Gen 4/Gen 5, I might think the same way.

For example, Diantha not helping out against Flare is seen as a negative. For myself I don't care. I am the hero of the story. At the end of the day, the game will have me save the day. It is irrelevant in my eyes if the Champion helps with the Electrodes or not. Because at the end of it I will be fighting the Big Bad. (If it is different in S/M and S/S, let me know. I still need to finish Sun (cut scenes killed my drive) and I still need to purchase a Switch. Life has been too busy to justify the expense. Hopefully, it slows down soon.)

Overall, Diantha has what I like in a Champion; engaging personality, killer looks (I am not mainly a legs or short hair guy but she pulls it off probably because she has that whole old school, 1940s Hollywood glamour) cool team (Hawlucha fan in the house), and isn't shoehorned into the story only to take a backseat at the climatic battle for no other reason than "oh yeah the PC has to save the day."

Same thing with Team Flare. Is their plot inherently ridiculous? Sure. But that is standard for Pokemon. Team Rocket inexplicably invaded the whole of Saffron when they only needed to strike at Sliph, Team Magna/Alpha want to wage eco-terrorism using legendaries, Team Galactic's leader wants to create his own world without feelings, BW tries to address the core tenant of the franchise but backtracks at the last minute with the copout of tyranny.

As for Lysandre, I found his arc intriguing. How does a humanitarian go from wanting to help the world to deciding it is irredeemable? To save the world he has to destroy it. It actually has become more and more relevant especially in light of recent events. That belief fascinates me. A man becomes so desperate for beauty and goodness that revisionism is the only answer. He correctly understands that there are givers and takers but his extremism blinds him to the morally right response.

Is it strange that Lysandre had an entrance fee for Flare? Yes, but I thinks it works. He is a hypocrite. Most people of his ilk are. He wants to remake the world. There is no shared belief on how that it is to be achieved.

And the nice added dimensional of having a Mega Gyarados. He is utterly insane and wrong-headed but he is not incapable of kindness.

As for pace; well, outside of the gap between Gym 1 and Gym 2, everything flowed well. I thought the Gyms and Routes were never too long or too short. The caves weren't overly annoying (hello Seaform) and I enjoyed the scenery.

I think overall Gen 6 felt like an updated version of RBY/FRLG. A brisk game that allowed me to play without being bogged down in overly complicated plots or not being able to find the Pokemon I like. My dream team for XY was Greninja, Sylveon, Aegislash, Talonflame, Vivillon, and Hawlucha. And obtaining all of those Pokemon was a breeze. I can only imagine how the GSC/HGSS template would have handled them. Sylveon would have taken forever with the heart metric (it was swift in XY), Aegislah would have been locked for postgame, and Hawlucha wouldn't have been available until after Gym 7.

For the TLDR crowd: My Gen 6 love mostly has to do with my personal relationship to the franchise. Is it the most rational position? Not really but desire rarely is. I love the Pokemon, I love the characters, and I mostly love the story. Even if it is based on France (don't tell my English ancestors. My Scottish ancestors don't mind since the Auld Alliance was a thing.)

The Mind Electric

My apologies for the tragically delayed response to your perfectly understandable inquiry to my contrarian position.

First, some backstory. I entered into the Pokemon fan base about two years after it invaded the shores of America. Thus, I grew up with Generation 1 (151!) as my main influence. Now at the time I didn't have a GameBoy system. My parents prohibited such devices. So I spent my Pokemon journeys in my backyard using my imagination to catch my party and defeat Team Rocket. (Undefeated record, btw. I knew my types. Complete Gary-Sue as a protagonist). I collected the cards, plushes, assorted food products. Remained steadfast through Gen 2 but slowly fell out by Gen 3-4. My grandaunt still gave me cards but I specifically despised the new card design and inflating HP/attack damage. So without video game systems and the card, I slowly lost interest.

Fast forward to college. A fellow student on my floor was into Pokemon. He asked me for my thoughts. I told him that I used to be a huge fan. He told me to watch the XY anime. I figured why not? So I did. Nice piece of escapism entertainment and I remembered why Pokemon was awesome and enjoyable. Needless to say, the Gen 6 Pokemon made a huge impression. I entered into the Disney College Program and for my birthday a fan from college sent me a 3DS with Pokemon Y. (I had played LeafGreen, Crystal, Emerald on an emulator by that point along with Yellow on a GameBoy a high school friend gave me). I would play Y on the bus while commuting to work. It felt like the perfect video game. A group of friends that would drop in and not stick around like glue, an assortment of new Pokemon that weren't locked behind postgame walls, a solid level curve. A stress free game at a time where the DCP (highly anticipated) turned out to be disappointing.

I understand the complaints about XY and perhaps if I came from Gen 4/Gen 5, I might think the same way.

For example, Diantha not helping out against Flare is seen as a negative. For myself I don't care. I am the hero of the story. At the end of the day, the game will have me save the day. It is irrelevant in my eyes if the Champion helps with the Electrodes or not. Because at the end of it I will be fighting the Big Bad. (If it is different in S/M and S/S, let me know. I still need to finish Sun (cut scenes killed my drive) and I still need to purchase a Switch. Life has been too busy to justify the expense. Hopefully, it slows down soon.)

Overall, Diantha has what I like in a Champion; engaging personality, killer looks (I am not mainly a legs or short hair guy but she pulls it off probably because she has that whole old school, 1940s Hollywood glamour) cool team (Hawlucha fan in the house), and isn't shoehorned into the story only to take a backseat at the climatic battle for no other reason than "oh yeah the PC has to save the day."

Same thing with Team Flare. Is their plot inherently ridiculous? Sure. But that is standard for Pokemon. Team Rocket inexplicably invaded the whole of Saffron when they only needed to strike at Sliph, Team Magna/Alpha want to wage eco-terrorism using legendaries, Team Galactic's leader wants to create his own world without feelings, BW tries to address the core tenant of the franchise but backtracks at the last minute with the copout of tyranny.

As for Lysandre, I found his arc intriguing. How does a humanitarian go from wanting to help the world to deciding it is irredeemable? To save the world he has to destroy it. It actually has become more and more relevant especially in light of recent events. That belief fascinates me. A man becomes so desperate for beauty and goodness that revisionism is the only answer. He correctly understands that there are givers and takers but his extremism blinds him to the morally right response.

Is it strange that Lysandre had an entrance fee for Flare? Yes, but I thinks it works. He is a hypocrite. Most people of his ilk are. He wants to remake the world. There is no shared belief on how that it is to be achieved.

And the nice added dimensional of having a Mega Gyarados. He is utterly insane and wrong-headed but he is not incapable of kindness.

As for pace; well, outside of the gap between Gym 1 and Gym 2, everything flowed well. I thought the Gyms and Routes were never too long or too short. The caves weren't overly annoying (hello Seaform) and I enjoyed the scenery.

I think overall Gen 6 felt like an updated version of RBY/FRLG. A brisk game that allowed me to play without being bogged down in overly complicated plots or not being able to find the Pokemon I like. My dream team for XY was Greninja, Sylveon, Aegislash, Talonflame, Vivillon, and Hawlucha. And obtaining all of those Pokemon was a breeze. I can only imagine how the GSC/HGSS template would have handled them. Sylveon would have taken forever with the heart metric (it was swift in XY), Aegislah would have been locked for postgame, and Hawlucha wouldn't have been available until after Gym 7.

For the TLDR crowd: My Gen 6 love mostly has to do with my personal relationship to the franchise. Is it the most rational position? Not really but desire rarely is. I love the Pokemon, I love the characters, and I mostly love the story. Even if it is based on France (don't tell my English ancestors. My Scottish ancestors don't mind since the Auld Alliance was a thing.)
This is a perfectly valid list of reasons to prefer X/Y and I appreciate you taking the time to give it. I'm quite a bit younger than you, so my first Pokémon games were from gens 4 and 5, but during those years I never bothered with strategy beyond just rolling everything with my starter anyway so I don't think the gameplay had an effect on my perception of X/Y. I just kinda fell off the series when they came out, and it wasn't until much later that I found out that a lot of older Pokémon fans didn't like X/Y. I'll be playing through them soon, so maybe I'll be on your side after that happens.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Ayy thanks for responding! I appreciate the explanations and wish I had some of the sunny outlooks you have on XY's story elements that didn't sit well with me, particularly Lysandre, a character who while maybe somewhat interesting on paper utterly bombs for me execution-wise, especially in regards to his full backstory coming way too late to impact anything. I also don't really get your idea of Diantha having an engaging personality when she has a fat 2 scenes throughout the entire main story where she doesn't really emote at all, but I can at least see why she could be considered cool visually.

I know I've posted about this before, but I do really like the Galar mix&match fossils. It's a historical reference, a joke, and something they've never done in Pokemon before, all at the same time. Someone clearly had fun designing them, and that's something that makes things more enjoyable for me.

Ayy thanks for responding! I appreciate the explanations and wish I had some of the sunny outlooks you have on XY's story elements that didn't sit well with me, particularly Lysandre, a character who while maybe somewhat interesting on paper utterly bombs for me execution-wise, especially in regards to his full backstory coming way too late to impact anything. I also don't really get your idea of Diantha having an engaging personality when she has a fat 2 scenes throughout the entire main story where she doesn't really emote at all, but I can at least see why she could be considered cool visually.
I imagine anime Diantha has some influence on my recollection. My belief mostly revolves around her café discussion with Lysandre. A Hollywood actress (excuse me, PokeStar starlet) that understands life cannot be fossilized in youth? That was enough for me. Obviously, everyone's mileage may vary and understandably she did follow Cynthia or Alder, two characters that regardless if someone liked them or not receive more attention and scenes. That is undeniable fact.

This is a perfectly valid list of reasons to prefer X/Y and I appreciate you taking the time to give it. I'm quite a bit younger than you, so my first Pokémon games were from gens 4 and 5, but during those years I never bothered with strategy beyond just rolling everything with my starter anyway so I don't think the gameplay had an effect on my perception of X/Y. I just kinda fell off the series when they came out, and it wasn't until much later that I found out that a lot of older Pokémon fans didn't like X/Y. I'll be playing through them soon, so maybe I'll be on your side after that happens.
The XYsaders are always looking for more members. Since XY has the Battle Chateau and those ranks of nobility, we XY defenders ought to have a chivalric order! Which reminds me that the game did mess up in not giving Wikstrom an Escavalier! Probopass instead? No Bisharp? I know it is more like a samurai (which had codes of honor like European knights) but it beats a rock with a 70s mustache! Now that I consider it, a Pokemon game with a chivalry enthusiast has an unfair advantage. :psysly:

The Mind Electric

Obviously, everyone's mileage may vary and understandably she did follow Cynthia or Alder, two characters that regardless if someone liked them or not receive more attention and scenes. That is undeniable fact.
To be fair, she also followed Iris, who receives a lot of praise despite having almost no presence in the story simply because she's a pretty hard fight. I think Diantha's unpopularity among many parts of the Pokémon community comes from a combination of her lack of story presence and the fact that she's about as hard as everything else in X/Y (or so I've heard anyway). Cynthia's story presence in D/P is pretty minimal (though she does get an upgrade in Platinum) but people who grew up on those games still remember her because she was hard. Alder isn't a very hard fight, but he has a lot of story presence and he does something unique with the Champion position, so people remember him regardless. Diantha doesn't really have either. At least her theme is awesome.
Now that I consider it, a Pokemon game with a chivalry enthusiast has an unfair advantage. :psysly:
I was going to say, do you think some of your love for X/Y might come from the setting based on Europe, since you seem to really go for the medieval/crusader aesthetic?

To be fair, she also followed Iris, who receives a lot of praise despite having almost no presence in the story simply because she's a pretty hard fight. I think Diantha's unpopularity among many parts of the Pokémon community comes from a combination of her lack of story presence and the fact that she's about as hard as everything else in X/Y (or so I've heard anyway). Cynthia's story presence in D/P is pretty minimal (though she does get an upgrade in Platinum) but people who grew up on those games still remember her because she was hard. Alder isn't a very hard fight, but he has a lot of story presence and he does something unique with the Champion position, so people remember him regardless. Diantha doesn't really have either. At least her theme is awesome.

I was going to say, do you think some of your love for X/Y might come from the setting based on Europe, since you seem to really go for the medieval/crusader aesthetic?
No doubt. Diantha really isn't a hard fight nor has a large role so I definitely understand why she falls low in the rankings. I suppose I am different in that I don't really care much about the difficulty of the fight or a Champion's presence in the story. Admittedly, that is an unpopular opinion.

No doubt. Haha. Which as I said before it is funny since it is based on France and I am a huge Anglophile. But I dig anything that incorporates a historical, European aesthetic. Or any historical aesthetic which is why despite GSC/HGSS's massive flaws, I still love how Johto is steeped in folklore and tradition.

Of course, Greninja is my favorite XY starter despite Chesnaught being the knight inspiration. Blame the anime. The Froakie line got to be Ash's ace while the Chespin family played the glutton. Come on, France was home to Roland and Bayard. Dishonorable representation.

Ugh. Team Flare. At the time of Gen 6's release, the worst villainous team. And with Gen 7 giving us the great Team Skull and alright Aether Foundation and TRR, they really lagged behind. They're not very consistent. They're not well written. The game can't seem to make up its mind of what they should be. They look bad. They're weak in battle (just like almost every other XY battle). They've no personality outside of Lysandre and Xerosic, and those two aren't the most consistent and are poorly written. Even though other teams had variations in beliefs of the members (like Plasma for instance), it was handled better and you could still get a feel for the teams where about. Not so with Team Flare. I mean, not everything about them is bad.... but that's solely on the music side. And it's too cool and threatening for the losers of Flare.

Of course, since I'm an egotistical bastard who likes to talk about his works, I've done things to "fix" this. I took a stance for how the game's story should treat them: hateable assholes who are pretty clearly in the wrong. There's no entrance fee --- you have to pass an ideological test to get in... and they have loose morals outside this. I went ham in on their Nazi-esque tendencies: most of them really do want to "cleanse" the world of "undesirables". They're arrogant and are known to torture people just because they think they're "inferior". They're way more competent at battling and have access to Lysandre's resources to carry out their crimes. They use Malva to control the media's coverage of them and Lysandre. They use deception to get the Elite Four out of the region (Malva goes with... but this doesn't matter much to them) just so Lysandre can blindside the region when he announces his genocidal plans. And with their bullying and power, there's almost no one in the region that can stop them at that point. They're hateable. They're assholes. They're insufferable. They're punchable. They fit their music more. Basically, they're meant to be hated and taken down.

I've also taken the liberty of revising the personalities of some of its members. I've only 3 of them in a more "finalized" form (Aliana, or the orange visored scientist; Xerosic, and Lysandre), but I've come up with things for most of its higher up. Aliana is "might makes right" type of person and is obsessed with power (power plant joke, ha...), but nonetheless would come to respect people who can defeat her. Got nothing for Bryony (green visor), but Celosia (purple visor) could maybe could still be a "valley girl", just more creepy and fanatic. Mable (blue visor) can be a "complete monster" type with no redeeming qualities and represents the worst of Flare. Xerosic is more interested in scientific advancement than anything and doesn't necessarily agree with the Team's genocidal plans, but they give him fancy toys, so he plays along (this would make his deciding to turn himself, among other things, in the postgame more believable.). Malva is an expert of deception and helps control the media to minimize Team Flare's impact (as previously mentioned). She might never actually be found out by the others in the League.... the player never talks anyways.

And then we get to the man himself: Lysandre. A total assfuck who never takes responsibility for his failures, instead blaming them on others. He still runs his philanthropist facade to the public and offers to "pay" for Team Flare's damages, but in reality he funds their terrorism. Donations sometimes can go "missing" in actuality as well, meaning that the "intended" money never gets to the victims. He tortures the Legendary into doing his bidding, furious that they won't "do what is obviously right" (Even though Yveltal is the Destruction Pokemon, it's appalled by Lysandre and Team Flare's wanton and purposeless destruction). He's the one that gives Xerosic the order to fuck with the player's choice of buttons, similar to USUM (like he'd ever willingly allow to fuck with his plans). Xerosic isn't too fond of it, but if he doesn't do it, Lysandre will have him punished. And of course when you confront him, he rubs it in your face. He insults and belittles many around him, the player, their "friends", AZ, etc. All this combined with his degrading sanity throughout the game climaxes in the final battle. He does his last ditch effort battle like usual and when loses, he just throws an insane hissy fit. He blames the player and their comrades for his failures (like usual) and for "ruining the world's sole hope". He then curses the player, their comrades, their families, and their descendants and hopes they're all vilified in the future and have painful demises. He then then commits the suicidal attack like usual, being too insane and broken to really notice the player and their "friends" leave. He's not "complete monster" to me, but he's straddling the line dearly. Besides him thinking he's doing the right thing and his care for his "non-failure" Pokemon and subordinates, he's a very detestable and hateable person.

So yeah, that's Team Flare in my hypothetical XY rewrite, more or less. Not all Grunts would be with the whole "genocide" thing, but that's a minority. Most would freely belittle the player and others not in Team Flare. They'd also freely talk about "cleansing the world". There's more to this, but this already a long ass post, so let's save that for later, shall we? Let's just say the good guys are smarter as well, though.

Me and dark Pokemon plots.... I never change, do I? At least I'd basically avoid most, if not all, direct references to death. And no swearing.

I always got annoyed when people try to argue the "pokémon protags should be older" because "it's not realistic!!!! why are these kids doing this instead of adults???? lol how ridiculous"

I thought it was pretty obvious that it's meant to be escapism fiction for kids. It's not meant to be realistic or grounded, it's meant for kids to have fun imagining themselves getting powerful pokémon and taking down super-powered legendaries and then the almighty champion.

You can just say that you want older protags because you want to see yourself in the game. You don't have to go "Pretty unrealistic that a kid is taking down a villain team. I am very intelligent."

I always got annoyed when people try to argue the "pokémon protags should be older" because "it's not realistic!!!! why are these kids doing this instead of adults???? lol how ridiculous"

I thought it was pretty obvious that it's meant to be escapism fiction for kids. It's not meant to be realistic or grounded, it's meant for kids to have fun imagining themselves getting powerful pokémon and taking down super-powered legendaries and then the almighty champion.

You can just say that you want older protags because you want to see yourself in the game. You don't have to go "Pretty unrealistic that a kid is taking down a villain team. I am very intelligent."
I definitely agree. Especially considering that the target demographic for the first buy-in to Pokémon is probably like 10-11yo, it makes sense that they would have protagonists at that age.

Is it an unpopular opinion to really like Sword and Shield, and to really like the graphics, and to not care about the dex cut? I like gen 8. It's not without its flaws, such as dynamax (literally the worst mechanic Gamefreak has invented), but the battle themes are hype, the story was ok, the character writing was amazing. I felt like I was playing with beings with emotions and it was good.

Is it an unpopular opinion to really like Sword and Shield, and to really like the graphics, and to not care about the dex cut? I like gen 8. It's not without its flaws, such as dynamax (literally the worst mechanic Gamefreak has invented), but the battle themes are hype, the story was ok, the character writing was amazing. I felt like I was playing with beings with emotions and it was good.
Sir, this is the Unpopular Opinion thread, not the "I wish to anger the entire forum userbase and deeply crave murder".

Please come with me, I'll escort you to a safe space :psynervous: I'll protect you before you risk shouting other dangerous sentences such as this one

Last edited:

Tbh I don't despise the protags being 10-11 years old. My only problem is that they look like 14 years old at minimum (teenagers) except for alola protags which are the only ones that actually seem appropriate for their age while BW1 protags are canonically teenagers. The body shape and height for both male and female protags look nothing like 10-11 years old

Tbh I don't despise the protags being 10-11 years old. My only problem is that they look like 14 years old at minimum (teenagers) except for alola protags which are the only ones that actually seem appropriate for their age while BW1 protags are canonically teenagers. The body shape and height for both male and female protags look nothing like 10-11 years old
When I was 10-11 I imagined myself as a little older/wished I was, so I think it works

Sir, this is the Unpopular Opinion thread, not the "I wish to anger the entire forum userbase and deeply crave murder".

Please come with me, I'll escort you to a safe space :psynervous: I'll protect you before you risk shouting other dangerous sentences such as this one
Show me on the Pokedex where Gamefreak hurt you

I don't like the National Dex.
1. Lore(?) The term National implies it's all one country, but that doesn't make sense.
2. Prize. Catching 898 Pokemon takes a long time, even with trading. For just a Shiny Charm?? (Oh and a paper fromn Masuda.)
3. Size. Aside from making an absolutely HUGE region, how are you gonna stuff all those Pokemon in there, in logical places. Even without Legendaries and Mythicals, there's still like 750 at least right?

However, I still VASTLY prefer the way SM/USUM did it over SwSh (All Pokemon being transferrable, but not catchable.)

However, I still VASTLY prefer the way SM/USUM did it over SwSh (All Pokemon being transferrable, but not catchable.)
Heh, by this point it's pretty evident the only reason SwSh ""lacks"" the entire Pokedex was purely lack of time to have all animations ready.

By now I'd say there's a significantly high chance that the next generation (if not Arceus Legends itself) will have the entire pokedex available via transfer.
In fact I'm quite confident that between SwSh, Gen 4 remakes and Arceus Legend, the entire cast will be available in some way in gen 8, basically leading the way to a full gen 9 dex available directly on the Switch.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
By now I'd say there's a significantly high chance that the next generation (if not Arceus Legends itself) will have the entire pokedex available via transfer.
In fact I'm quite confident that between SwSh, Gen 4 remakes and Arceus Legend, the entire cast will be available in some way in gen 8, basically leading the way to a full gen 9 dex available directly on the Switch.
Just like how SWSH had every Kanto Pokemon... Oh wait.

Just stop the cope. It's over. Unless they decide to go all-out and pull an "Everyone is here!" for a major anniversary USUM will remain the last game where you can have every existing Pokemon up to that point on one file

I personally preferred the approach on that Pokémon Bank and HOME are now where the National Dex is placed.

I never liked that you had to transfer the entire National Dex just to get a Shiny Charm, in every single game. That's just bragging rights at that point. Reducing it to just get the entire Regional Dex is dramatically more reasonable (but still not enough for me to want to fill it, but that's another story) because players who lack earlier entries have a much milder disadvantage.

Although I guess that's because I am among those who would be at a massive disadvantage, as I didn't own an actual Pokémon game until Moon - up to that point, it was nothing but playing through emulators.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)