Unpopular opinions

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I keep forgetting how ugly Lucario is until I see it somewhere and I go "what the fuck were they smoking".
It looks like a poor mismatch of 2008 cool teen trends + ooooo cool jackal. It goes too cool and it just loops around on being dumb but not the good and funny kinda dumb.
I like the overall design, but the spikes on its hands and chest feel like a bit much. It already looks fierce, so the spikes just end up making it look overly edgy.

Also, I hate its Mega Evolution. It looks really weird.

I keep forgetting how ugly Lucario is until I see it somewhere and I go "what the fuck were they smoking".
It looks like a poor mismatch of 2008 cool teen trends + ooooo cool jackal. It goes too cool and it just loops around on being dumb but not the good and funny kinda dumb.
The cone nose sells it for absurdity. Almost like this...

If it wasn't for Gen 4 and anime hype in general, it'd be forgetten like Buneary line
Bogleech did an edit to make it more Egyptian themed. I like it, though most are iffy:
https://bogleech.com/pokemon/p447riolu.html

I doodled this in like 6 minutes but I feel like lucario is a lost opportunity.
You could have easily focused on the aura psychic kinda deal (left) or focus on golden anubis steel (right) instead of trying to make everything to make it as painfully edgy as possible. I personally would make it less anthro and more monsterly but that's just me

1622583359859.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't like a bunch of mega designs. A bunch just add more spikes, or something along those lines.

I mean some megas do look cool, which is obviously the point, it's just that some of the changes are kinda lame.
Yeah, what Mega Evos really needed was...

Hating designs because they doesn't appeal to you is kinda the point to dislike them?
As I said, there's nothing wrong with hating a design as long as you're respectful to the opinions of others who may like the Pokemon (or not like yours). I think DrPumpkinz and to an extent Suspicious Derivative took your comments a bit too seriously.

I stand by if they remove the spikes (and replace the chest spike with ruffled fur) it looks way better:

I agree the spikes on Lucario (most particularly the one on the chest) are really weird and seem to be there just to justify the Steel-typing (they could have given it Wolverine-esque claws if that was the intent...)

Still, being based on canines, the design can't be fixed. It's unsalvageable.

I stand by if they remove the spikes (and replace the chest spike with ruffled fur) it looks way better:
It does look better, but there are still some things that I don't like, such as the weird mouth snout thing, which I think everyone hates even if subconsciously since 90% of art I've seen of lucario removes it unless they're trying to copy Sugimori 1:1, the weird thighs (they look more like baggy shorts than actual thighs), the wheels on its arms (is it meant to resemble clothing, or something similar, like rings? Because all I can see is wheels lol) and the... aura.... dreads???? Is there anything to name those teardrop fleshy things?

Ok actually I'm sorry I'm probably just bringing up petty stuff but I don't like its paw hands. Honestly I just think this design feels too mismatched and not really cohesive.

I agree the spikes on Lucario (most particularly the one on the chest) are really weird and seem to be there just to justify the Steel-typing (they could have given it Wolverine-esque claws if that was the intent...)

The steel typing is just WEIRD. Jackals are often associated with death, bc Anubis, which would argue for Fighting/Ghost or Fighting/Dark. The color scheme would support either of those types. Sensing aura seems like Fighting/Psychic, or the other two if you stretch. And the movepool is kind of all over the place in Gen IV, with coverage from a wide variety of types, a lot of Fighting moves, and a bare minimum amount of Steel. It's not like Steel/Fighting is a great combo offensively or defensively, so I'm not sure why they stretched themselves so hard to make that type happen.

The sad thing is, despite being a cat person, there aren't that many cat Pokemon designs I like
Meowth and Persian have been ruined over the years (former has skinnychu and Garfield syndrome along with the vacant almost furless face, latter randomly got a looooooong neck after FRLG), and both being pretty basic color wise. The Alolan form does nothing but be a Garfield joke for the latter (though I'm fine with it XD), and SwSh's Meowth is...messy
Sneasal feels weirdly too round for face again (and no, it's not a weasel, that was the proto), and Weavile doesn't fix that at all, despite cool claws
Raikou's pretty alright, though messy. Entei is debated for being a lion dog or lion
Skitty line's cute. Delcatty's Gen 3 sprite implies an earlier design with a dot on the head. Shame, cuz the car pillow fur itself is meh
Glameow's a pretty nice design. Then you have Purrugly, whose somehow fast....tough it's a joke I'll take
Turbbish I barely consider a cat, but it is apparently. Meh
Purrloin also is great....until for whatever reason they made it biped after Gen 6. Eww
Liepard is Tuxedo mask, though the body is almost canine with how long the hind legs are. This is an issue with most modern cat mons onward
Litleo has a butt face. Eww. Evos are too slender and basic despite being a gen 6 mon
And Gen 7, well..... Litten becoming a furry in the end is disappointing
When are we getting another Sabertoothed cat or a Lynx? Raikou barely does it

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is there anything to name those teardrop fleshy things?
Well, sorta of you look for a real life analogue? They use them to sense aura, which is essentially electromagnetism. Many animals have an additional sense called electroception which lets them sense the Earth's electromagnetic field. Now, there's a few ways species of many kind have evolved to do this, so let's focus in on mammals. The closest mammal I see on the Wikipedia page is the dolphin. They use the vibrissae around their blowhole to do this. What is a "vibrissae" you may be wondering? It's a fancy way of saying "whiskers". And, well, Lucario is a canine and canine have whiskers, I guess just for Lucario they grew to the back of the head and became bulbous.

OR we could just call them "receptors" and be done with it.

The steel typing is just WEIRD. Jackals are often associated with death, bc Anubis, which would argue for Fighting/Ghost or Fighting/Dark. The color scheme would support either of those types. Sensing aura seems like Fighting/Psychic, or the other two if you stretch. And the movepool is kind of all over the place in Gen IV, with coverage from a wide variety of types, a lot of Fighting moves, and a bare minimum amount of Steel. It's not like Steel/Fighting is a great combo offensively or defensively, so I'm not sure why they stretched themselves so hard to make that type happen.
Well, I did mention that it sensing aura is probably it sensing electromagnetism, so maybe that's what they're going for? Maybe for it to sense & manipulate aura its body needed special magnetic metals. It's receptors probably have a heavy concentration of them while the spikes on its body are used as sort of electrode rods to concentrate it. Makes me curious if they could use their aura power to attract metallic objects or maybe use their spikes like a theremin.

They're more canids despite the name (especially Luxray).
Canid?

I'm getting more of a lion vibe (even though it's English name suggests lynx and Japanese name suggests tiger).

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Pokemon XD's Orre Colosseum is the hardest battling challenge in any Pokemon game ever made and is an exemplar of what people are talking about when they say they want more challenge out of Pokemon games.

Couple of caveats before people jump down my throat:
  • It's the hardest battling challenge under mainline, standardised battle facility rules. So no Ubers allowed, Open Level rules, item clause, etc. Pokemon Colosseum's variant of the Orre Colosseum and PBR's Stargazer Colosseum are more difficult in terms of the power of the opponents faced, but the player is allowed to play with Ubers of their own.
  • It's the hardest battling challenge. There are numerous other challenges in the games which are just as difficult but don't involve battling.
  • The Battle Frontiers and subsequent facilities all come close, but imo they are all easier to beat. The AI in these facilities is easier to exploit and the randomness of enemy team sets often works in the player's favour. In direct contrast to Emerald, all of the foe Pokemon in the Orre Colosseum are faster (typically using +Speed natures, whereas very few Emerald Frontier Pokemon do so) and have generally far better moves (even at higher levels, Emerald Frontier Pokemon often have subpar movesets).
  • Orre Colosseum is Doubles only, which by design forces much more strategy than Singles.
  • The deliberate variance of opponent styles within each set (for instance, the sixth round has players face a Rain team and then a Sun team) makes it far harder to pick a team which can cover all bases. Opponents bring six Pokemon but choose four based on what will be advantageous against your own, again making it harder to put together a winning team.
  • It's extremely difficult (though not impossible as I've seen people do it) to construct a winning team based solely on the Pokemon you can get in XD alone.

• It's extremely difficult (though not impossible as I've seen people do it) to construct a winning team based solely on the Pokemon you can get in XD alone.
Colosseum and XD were designed in mind to work as add-ons of the GBA games, to help fulfill the otherwise impossible RS Pokedex and to battle in 3D graphics, it's kinda easy to forget because of the single player campaigns. So yeah, this challenge was intended for you to bring your mons from other games to have a chance.

Although I do love that the Orre tournaments don't fall into padding like the frontier challenges extensive battle streaks, just some rounds before you face the boss and that's it. Proper, non-artificial difficulty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)