Why the MCU actually sucks

TC

Banned deucer.
because writing those kinds of stories are harder than you think, not to mention the risk involve when not executed well (see Batman vs Superman).
Thor 1 is a soap opera where a cocky powerful prince goes on a humility journey where he meets a simple mortal woman. His backstabbing brother who's also competing for the throne finds out he's adpoted and when Loki confronts his father about it, the father gets a heart attack for some convenient reason.

Wandavision is a live action comedy with some horror and kafkaesque elements. Unfortunately, the ending is just another generic superhero fight scene, but the comedy episodes had some of the most original execution of a superhero show.

The Antman movies and Endgame are heist movies.

Thor 3 and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are space sci-fi movies like Star Wars.

Shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, if you count them as part of the MCU, are CSI/detective/law type of shows.

Hawkeye looks to be a Christmas show. Even Guardians of the Galaxy is getting a holiday special.

The Captain America trilogy is my favorite MCU series because they are all feel very different from each other. The first is a war/historical fictionish movie that shows featutes you would see from a typical war movie like the application and training, the battlefield, and even the war bonds. The second is a spy movie where they go undercover and learn secrets about SHIELD and Hydra. The third is a political movie where we see two good people with different opinions break up over politic beliefs, and we get context on their beliefs not only from the previous Captain America movies, but from all the MCU events.
well if im honest, to me batman vs superman has the same quality of most of all mcu movies lmao, not sure if i can agree as its a big achievement to have a lot of movies that interconnect stories between themselves since the mcu universe was already writted by stan lee, tbh looks like its only made in purpose of making more money in the theaters kek

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Glad to see the thread getting revived.
But honestly tho since most mcu movies follow the same generic storyline i hate it.
Would be glad if i can find some compelling argument here as to why its great.
In all seriousness I don't think the characters are one dimensional and the acting is fantastic. Tony Starks character development across the timeliness is fantastic and he remains my favorite character for it.

The storyline is arguement is semi valid but seeing as they are loosly recounting comic book events I have no issue with it.

Infinity War was amazing while endgame was just ok In my eyes. Thanos was a fantastic villain with a great motive and it really made you question right and wrong. The only thing I wish was different with Thanos was if they took away his ruthlessness early on it would've been better. Im talking about the scene where we see his men separating people up and killing them. This paints Thanos as the villain. I would've preferred him being a villain a bit more abstractly.

Civil War is by far my favorite of the bunch. It shows us Spiderman and the plot it's great. There's no clear villain in the movie and I think it's a genuinely great superhero film.

I've been summoned, but honestly, I already had this thread on watch, 'cause it's pretty entertaining... I thought the OP was some sort of hyper-ironic joke, but it's sparked some serious posts, so here are some thoughts.

I like fun action movies with one-liners aplenty. Not everything has to be (insert acclaimed Serious film/director here). That said, I am not a big fan of the MCU overall. It almost never breaks beyond being barely more than decent, and often drags and panders.

I don't dislike most superhero movies because they are superhero movies - that would be monstrously hypocritical of me. Genuinely great superhero movies can and do exist, and many of them are more than just popcorn entertainment. However, most of the time, such movies are not good, because they are watered down in every aspect - themes, violence, language, character choices/consequences and almost surely more I'm forgetting - for the sake of mass market appeal, which very much includes children.

This is not me saying movies need to be Adult in those categories to be true art or some such nonsense, and it is not me dismissing movies that are suitable for kids, either - that would be ridiculous. However, in the case of the MCU, these movies very noticeably pull their punches on certain topics for this purpose, and it does feel like a detraction.

If you just take them as popcorn fun, then yeah, you could do a lot worse...but you could also do a lot better. A movie being fun does not preclude it from criticism, either. In fact, one of the main qualms I have with these films is that they often not very good at being fun - most of the action scenes are ridiculously sanitized, and the humor is not only hit-or-miss (most of it depends on how much you like the same snarky schtick being copy and pasted everywhere), but often misused; it's thrown all over the place and tends to undercut the attempts at seriousness.

They are mostly enjoyable, for sure. How could they not be? They're generally pretty light, easy to watch, move pretty quickly, filled with charming actors. However, the criticism that they are samey/copy-and-paste definitely has some validity to it - they are not all "completely the same" but let's not act like they make huge leaps between them, or even that they are too distinct from each other at all. I don't mind watching a certain type of movie over and over if it's done really well, and if this kinda stuff is your thing, that's great. However, I sometimes get tired of the determinedly average/mediocre product that gets pumped out repeatedly, just with slightly different packaging, and I can't exactly blame anyone who feels the same but more harshly, especially with their seeming cultural omnipresence. The hardcore "cinema is ruined by these theme parks!!!" types can be annoying, for sure, but so are the apologists who endlessly praise them and swat away any criticism under the guise of "you hate fun" or something.

I don't exactly need these to be anything more than a good time at the movies, but it is frustrating how hard these settle. Having a formula isn't inherently bad, but I don't care for how particularly safe this one is, especially when there is very rarely anything of visual interest on the screen - the overuse of CGI doesn't just suck the life out of fight scenes, it often makes the worlds these movies determinedly non-physical as well (which, personally, bothers me a lot more than any plot contrivance or power imbalance or what-have-you that would get half-explained by some ridiculous "um, actually" anyway).

So I can explain myself on the above and maybe add some more with concrete examples, I have listed my thoughts on each MCU movie below.

Tier 1

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Incredibly kinetic action scenes, whether it's chases, bullet spraying or hand-to-hand fights, all of which are wonderfully choreographed and move forward with a real intensity. Very physical, much like the best parts of something like Heat. Well-directed and well-edited with a terrific sense of personality to them. Once it gets going, the atmosphere is genuinely tense and paranoid as hell, which in and of itself makes it a winner in my book. The Winter Soldier is a terrifying adversary. I have my qualms - I think a movie of this nature would benefit from being a little more outright violent/bloody, the finale with a big crash of CGI pales in comparison to the action beforehand (though fortunately it's brief), and I could do without some of the quips - but it's so well-directed that even these are minor and I can overlook them easily. It stands heads and shoulders above its MCU counterparts. Love it.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2
I hadn't seen Volume 1 since it came out in theaters, but upon revisiting it this year, I didn't like it very much. It's dragged down by being an origin story and generally felt neutered in most aspects. Volume 2, on the other hand, I liked a lot more than the first time I saw it, so much that I now think it's clearly the second-best movie the MCU's put out and by some margin, too. It bursts with unrestrained personality and energy from start to finish. The characters are better, there are great additions (Mantis, Yondu is more prominent, even the smaller side characters are way more fun) and the dynamics between them simply sings throughout (including the connection with the villain, who is quite good). It feels very much like the vision of an individual, the wonderful James Gunn. Oh, and the soundtrack is better.

PS: Inferno makes me very, very happy.

Tier 2

Avengers: Infinity War

This one is really interesting because I think it does a lot of things really well but also holds itself back quite a bit. I could even dedicate an entire post to everything I like and dislike about it, because there is a lot on both sides. The gist is: the main tension of the movie is set up and executed really well (like the longer take with chaotic streets that ends with the sight of the spaceship is hovering above New York - that was a great, genuinely tense stretch), but is repeatedly undermined by the constant, out-of-place humor. Not all the quippier moments are bad - Dr. Strange and Ebony Maw have a good dynamic - but there are simply too many of them, which is a real shame because when it allows itself to be serious, it really works. Most notable is the moment on Titan where Iron Man simply...stands there and takes a deep breath in complete silence. It really let the weight of the task at hand sink in. That was perhaps the most genuine moment in the whole MCU - it was sincerely affecting in a way almost nothing else in these movies has been. I wish that one lasted longer, and there were more of them instead of the constant jokes. Thanos is a highly effective, imposing villain (when they're not giving him horrendous lines like "I never taught you to lie, that's why you're so bad at it) and the ending is powerful. I really, really wish they hadn't undone it in the next one.

Captain America: Civil War
Similar to Infinity War: solid, tense stretches and a strong ending are constantly undercut with forced levity. It's best when it's dramatic, whether with tension between characters (the premise makes for some great conflict, the one-on-one Cap-Iron Man argument is well-done) or through some more great Winter Soldier action scenes. I really don't like how bland almost all of it is visually, but it's mostly well-directed and generally highly watchable so I can mostly get over it.

Thor: Ragnarok
They (more or less) commit to the levity here, to solid effect. Good villain, too. Fun watch (if you can get over how Thor conveniently forgets he has lightning powers, like, all the time...but that applies to anything he's in, and I'm willing to do so here). Sadly, the bland visual criticism from Civil War is applicable here, too - I appreciate they tried for something more bombastic, but the color is sucked out of it to shockingly dull effect. Still, effective at doing what it sets out to, and has a good sense of personality to it.

Tier 3

Black Panther

Quite a good movie throughout most of its runtime, brought down partially by the stupid Martin Freeman sideplot and mostly by the weightless waste of a CGI finale when the physicality of the actors was a big part of what made the conflict so compelling. Also, I really wish they hadn't taken the "easy way out" with Killmonger, a "villain" so clearly in the right they have to make him a psychopath so they don't feel bad about killing him. He's still phenomenal, but it could've been so much more interesting.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
One of the worst things about most of the MCU is that they are billed as action films, but utilize incredibly stunted (editing of) action scenes, because their actors are such expensive commodities that they won't risk letting them do the simplest thing, thus forcing them cut back and forth between the stunt double (often doing something very basic that the actor could almost surely do themselves with ease) and the actor. It's lifeless, boring, terrible. Whatever else you want to say about Shang-Chi, it does not have this problem, and as such, I enjoy it in the same vein as Winter Soldier. The action in this movie is exhilarating - watching Shang-Chi and his sister leap and swing around their surroundings and kick the shit out of bad guys is joyous. Awkwafina is pretty funny (the Hotel California gag is great). Sadly, a lot of the exposition is bad and lazy even by MCU standards, and it really takes a dip in the second half with the buildup to the obligatory huge CGI finale, but the extraordinary Tony Leung (I really urge anyone who liked him in this movie to check out some of the other movies he's been in) really carries the hell out of it. Fun stuff. If every MCU movie had fight scenes like the first few in this, I would be very, very happy.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Fun hanging-around high school movie. Great villain (one of the best things about Spider-Man in general). Doesn't go for or achieve anything more, but enjoyable for what it is. Tom Holland really sells climbing out from under the rubble at the end. That had a lot of heart. I don't particularly enjoy the huge CGI crash conclusion - felt they could've gone a little more small-scale and gotten a more intimate, rewarding final fight - and I could definitely do without Iron Man's presence, but for what it is, it's fun.

Tier 4

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Yadda yadda enough Iron Man already, and turning Spider-Man into a billion-dollar tech guy was already not a choice I loved but here it's just egregious; all around, it's weaker than the first. Still alright, though. Despite some truly heinous exposition - Jesus Christ that scene in the bar - it is carried by the incredible Jake Gyllenhaal, who holds nothing back. God, Spider-Man has some great bad guys.

Black Widow
I wanted to like this so much. The general premise, the setup for the action scenes, the potential to really explore this troubled character with an interesting, violent past, it all had so much promise...too bad to really do so would require those involved to go beyond the sanitization of the product that was churned out instead. It does have some good moments, but they're always gone too quickly - nothing here is explored enough (the Red Room alone...), and the result is a thoroughly unsatisfying experience as you realize what could've been. It really settles for being average. Many of the action scenes here could be great, but instead are often shining examples of the awful stunt/actor cutting back-and-forth alluded to in the Shang-Chi blurb.

Ant-Man
The parts very obviously kept from Edgar Wright's involvement are far and away the highlights - they are as fun as anything you'd find in his oeuvre. However, most of the time, this is one of the most offensively trite, by-the-numbers movies in the MCU, with a good actor wasted on a ridiculous bland Iron Man villain-knockoff (and those are already bland as hell). The "heist movie" concept in and of itself doesn't exactly make it different or fresh or anything close in that regard when so much of its runtime is such standard fodder.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Already mentioned this in passing, so I'll just reiterate that this is massively watered down from what it wants to be, restrained by the boring demands of an origin story, and with a tremendously forgettable villain to boot. Some okay moments, but since we're on a Pokemon forum, I will say this is movie is the equivalent of using Kadabra over Alakazam. Vol. 1 is completely and utterly outclassed by Vol. 2.

Tier 5

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Some of the most horrendous quips in the franchise here (I'm begging Iron Man to shut the fuck up most of the time he's on screen, especially when he's fighting the Hulk, and the "language!" gag is a contender for all-time worst), the general premise driving the conflict is not explored nearly deeply enough for it to be anything more than a shallow excuse for the antics on display, and the decision to give a perfect killer A.I. system a generic psychopathic serial killer personality that quotes Pinnochio to itself as some sort of display of menace is cartoonish rather than terrifying. Still, I gave this its own tier because those Scarlet Witch-induced dream sequences are genuinely effective and unique within these movies.

Tier 6

Captain America: The First Avenger

Interesting enough premise for an origin story and villain that could've been good to great in the right hands, but with such stale, uninspired execution on both fronts - to say nothing of the impact of a wartime setting being neutered when you have to make it for to kids to see so you can't really show any fucking war or its consequences lol - this becomes completely forgettable.

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Completely forgettable (except for Luis, who rules) and only exists to set up some plot convenience for Endgame. Yuck.

Tier 7

Captain Marvel

Bloodless as all hell. Brie Larson is talented as hell but the material here is the most generic origin story of all time. I guess if you've got a weakness for the 90sness of it all, what with the Blockbuster and Nirvana...but besides that, nope.

Doctor Strange
I'm sure the CGI on display here is an impressive technical achievement, but it fails to leave any sort of impact, and nothing else here is of any interest whatsoever, ridden with tired cliches and forced humor.

Tier 8

Iron Man 3

I actually liked the twist where the evil terrorist was just a mask for rich white evil. I'll also admit I laughed at the autobiography quip. Too bad the rest of this was stupid as hell. In true Marvel fashion, they even managed to quickly "resolve" and make light of Iron Man's PTSD. At least the scene where he saves all the people who were thrown out of the plane is unintentionally hilarious.

Avengers: Endgame
They skipped over all the devastation, emotional and otherwise, that would come with the loss of half the people in the world, and instead gave our heroes another fun, happy-go-lucky adventure, somehow managing to rush through a three-hour movie, depriving it of any sort of impact knowing they'll score cheap sentiment points with the ending. Disgusting.

Iron Man 2
Like 3 but worse, especially since they wasted Sam Rockwell. Mickey Rourke is a menacing bad guy, at least.

Thor
Utterly forgettable. Just about nothing here works. For the mighty Thor's devastating final villain to be a big, faceless hunk of metal called The Destroyer is...yeah.

Iron Man
I like Jeff Bridges, but even he can't save this from the vapid, soulless piece of corporate garbage it is. Nostalgia seems to have a pretty powerful pull over this one for a lot of folks, but I really, really dislike it. One of the funniest quotes I've ever read is Kevin Feige referring to this as an "independent film."

Tier 9

The Avengers

Probably doesn't deserve its separate tier from the above, but I did it anyway because this might be my most loathed movie ever. Not the outright worst, but the one I despise the most? Very possibly. The soullessness permeating through every aspect of this, from the awful quips to the faceless foes to the weightless action scenes...I assume nostalgia drives this one for a lot of people, too. Loki is a good bad guy, but with this material...Fuck, I hate this one.

I have not seen Thor 2, but I did see a few seconds of it in some Youtube video where Natalie Portman slaps Loki and says "that's for New York!" so I don't feel like I really need the rest.

Good Lord I wrote too much. Hope this adds something to the discussion.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
how can u say these arent thought provoking movies when people come in here and do wall of text like that.

I have avoided sincere posting in this thread so far because, sincerely, fandom fucking sucks. And as one of the largest IPs in the world right now the MCU has a lot of fucking fandom, positive or otherwise.

BUT, my actual opinion is that they are movies that have a lot to fucking say about the current zeitgeist of America, and most of it is entirely unintentional. The many varied semi-critiques of american military empire while quite literally being funded and used as product placement for american military empire render a lot of films flat. At the same time, it also deals a lot in trying to swing for things we should morally strive for, a hallmark of comic book superheroes, but also they are doing it under the thumb of one of the largest money driven monopolies on earth. This bizarre clash of goals and interests lead to some of the most aggressive and interesting big budget casting and staffing. Occasionally the swings connect in a wild way and the results are your Black Panthers, your Thor: Ragnaroks, your Guardians of the Galaxy 2s. Movies that have directors who never dealt with budgets so large and probably never would have otherwise, being allowed to tell the stories they wanted to tell. Easy home runs.

To continue to wring this metaphor though, sometimes you strike out. Captain Marvel is a movie that was played extremely conservatively while trying to portray itself as not that. It's feminist messaging is overplayed and overwrought, but largely fine, and it's anti-(alien)empire plot is undercut by the absolutely massive advertising its doing for the USAF. It took no risks and so it reaped no rewards. It was safe, and that's all they wanted it to be. But of course, because it dared to try and have a (literally canonically) very strong female hero with some hokey girl power stuff (no worse in hokiness than her spiritual predecessor's debut in Captain America), the movie received disproportionate backlash so I have to sit here and defend an entertaining but toothless popcorn movie from the keyboard nazis raving about a culture war.

The MCU is very uniquely, but unsurprisingly due to its popularity, a reflection of US interests and that reflection is extremely informative to think about. Occasionally the MCU makes a movie with artistic meat on its bones and those are also artistically informative. They are ALWAYS extremely produced to be entertaining. These productions are the pinnacle of all productions. To decide to bash the MCU as a base artform or whatever and declare it as ruining cinema can only be made from the standpoint of how the money flows and what movies end up getting made. Why take a risk on an artistically risky movie when you can pump another superhero movie out? Any other viewpoint just comes off as "negative" fandom. Someone who engages with everything as a fan would but instead is just trying to knock it down because?? IDK. It doesn't make sense to me. All fans are weirdly entitled, maybe that's what its about? I can't say. But outside of production criticisms, almost all criticism levied at the MCU just rings of baseless circlejerking about how they're too cool for school and aren't falling for the trap. "God all the movies are the same well made immensely focus tested for maximum widespread effectiveness and I think being really good at being entertaining is a bad thing actually." Great point, nimrod. Congrats, you've managed to find some joy in not only not liking something, but in projecting those feelings as loudly as possible and trying to make people who do like the thing as uncomfortable as possible. Nonsense like "I don't like them, prove me wrong" bitch they're your feelings and have nothing to do with me i could not give less of a shit about how you feel you narcissistic twit. I'm not here to hold ur hand and tell you what to like, but I am gonna hang out and roast you for being a boring ass nerd, who has never formed a real opinion without some shitty washed up comedian on a podcast spoon-feeding it to you.

That said, Thanos sucks, the only good avengers was Age of Ultron, because having an ai have a temper tantrum and become genocidal because his dad asked him to do too much, is good actually, and way better than "the only logical conclusion of trying to save humanity from itself is to end it". That well dried up 50 years ago good to see some real human pathos in there.

There were popular blockbuster popcorn action movies before Marvel, there will be after it - and none of them "ruined cinema". And there have been none with the big scope and universe as this one.

And really I think predictability is almost never really a genuine criticism for anything.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Here is my in depth analysis of every single MCU film

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
I think I saw this one, but honestly I can't remember much except at the end there were lots of big like, plane aircraft carriers and a fight scene when they were falling down? Or was that some other movie? It had like Captain America's brother or something.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2
This was an awesome move.

Avengers: Infinity War
It was pretty good I think. That guy with the chin kinda reminds me of team aqua/magmar with his ridiculous motivation, but other than that, cool. It was pretty clear though that the sequel was gonna suck. There was just nothing in it that supported like, what a second movie was gonna be... It really felt like they didnt actually have a plan for how to end it at that point.

Captain America: Civil War
Havent seen it

Thor: Ragnarok
Fun movie! I think GOTG2 was better overall, but this is close.

Black Panther
I watched it and enjoyed it. Havent really thought about it since.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Never heard of it

Spider-Man: Homecoming
It was fine.

Spider-Man: Far From Home
Which is the one where he is in Europe? I thought it was the other one, but now I think its this one. Anyway that one is fine, the other one I dont think Ive seen.

Black Widow and Ant-Man
Havent seen either

Guardians of the Galaxy
I watched this and enjoyed it but I honestly cant remember what happened in it. I remember at the end the guy has to grab the stone thing and he doesnt die and that was a big deal or something, but that's basically it.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Is this the one where like the AI comes to life? I remember the end of it, so I think I have seen it, but honestly I have no idea what happened or anything more about it.

Captain America: The First Avenger and Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange and Iron Man 3
I dont think I have seen any of these.

Avengers: Endgame
Time travel... Ugh... This movie just didnt work at all.

Iron Man 2 and Thor
Havent seen em

Iron Man
It was fun! The Tony Stark actor is always kinda fun, enjoyable movie.

The Avengers
Havent seen it

Thor 2
I think I have seen this, or maybe it was Thor 1. I dunno, I dont really remember it.

There was one with like, lots of robot ironmen as well, I cant remember which one that was. Was it Age of Ultron?

[Edit] - Ok, actually having gone through this exercise it occurs to me that a lot of them have a great set up and then suck at the conclusion of the film. I think this is partly because super hero movies kinda need to resolve by having the hero use their super powers, which usually just means a big fight scene which I guess is fine....

I guess it just doesnt often result in especially memorable movies anyway.

I think black panther is a perfect illustration.

Last edited:
My opinion on MCU:
Every MCU's movies are bad. Backgrounds and decorations are dull, and have no impact on the movie. Actually, everything is in CGI and it makes the movie ugly asf. The background is a desolate planete, but it could have been a forest, a city. Who cares? It's CGI, everything is replaceable, and, so, the movie don't have personality. Remeber this ugly airport fight scene in Civil War... An airport, how can we make it duller and more forgettable? Fight are untidy. In fact, they are not fighting, they are dancing. Fights are just choregraphy, in which nothing has an impact, because, actually, they never touch the enemy. Moreover, heroes are strong, and gigantic, reducing the impact of each hit. Does Iron Man suffer after a car hit him? I don't know. This also means characters have to say "i suffer", so that viewers understand Iron Man is suffering. Problems that heroes face are ridiculously big. Nobody can feel this danger, in fact you can't even represent the danger in your mind, and then, nothing is impacting (+ eveything is CGI, who cares about this building being destroyed?). Jokes are too much: they sweep away everything that could have been serious (and reduce again the impact of the movie), and they prevent viewers from laughting at the movie.

Watch something else, you deserve better than tv movie (especially in an era where everything is accessible thanks to the Internet).

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My opinion on MCU:
Every MCU's movies are bad. Backgrounds and decorations are dull, and have no impact on the movie. Actually, everything is in CGI and it makes the movie ugly asf. The background is a desolate planete, but it could have been a forest, a city. Who cares? It's CGI, everything is replaceable, and, so, the movie don't have personality. Remeber this ugly airport fight scene in Civil War... An airport, how can we make it duller and more forgettable? Fight are untidy. In fact, they are not fighting, they are dancing. Fights are just choregraphy, in which nothing has an impact, because, actually, they never touch the enemy. Moreover, heroes are strong, and gigantic, reducing the impact of each hit. Does Iron Man suffer after a car hit him? I don't know. This also means characters have to say "i suffer", so that viewers understand Iron Man is suffering. Problems that heroes face are ridiculously big. Nobody can feel this danger, in fact you can't even represent the danger in your mind, and then, nothing is impacting (+ eveything is CGI, who cares about this building being destroyed?). Jokes are too much: they sweep away everything that could have been serious (and reduce again the impact of the movie), and they prevent viewers from laughting at the movie.

Watch something else, you deserve better than tv movie (especially in an era where everything is accessible thanks to the Internet).
again, this is the physics of the MCU. As far as I'm concerned, almost all dance scenes might as well be magic too because I can't do any of that shit.

As a side note, I've read a lot of the criticisms of the MCU films here and what I find interesting is that I don't disagree with a lot of them. I just don't care - I enjoy them for all sorts of different reasons and it shows that you have people who look at the same film from an entirely different perspective.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Marvel > DC

The MCU is great and is only getting more comic accurate as it expands. Anybody who says the MCU is bad has the worst takes and is probably trying to be a hipsters.

I will agree that the representation for female lead /minority groups haven't been that great, but with Tony Stark (worst avenger aside maybe hawkeye) dying and more focus on characters like Wanda, Agatha, Captain Marvel, Yelena, Shang Shi, etc it is fixing that. Tony Starks solo movies were all terrible except Iron Man 3, which is why i think he is the worst, supporting character at best. Also hot take but people who hate on Captain Marvel definetly hate her for the wrong reasons, she is a great character. She was just introduced at such as awkward time, but I have a feeing the Marvels will make up for tht.

Plus it seems like the MCU is going to get more of its content back such as the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and more in the future.

The MCU is great and is only getting more comic accurate as it expands. Anybody who says the MCU is bad has the worst takes and is probably trying to be a hipsters.

I will agree that the representation for female lead /minority groups haven't been that great, but with Tony Stark (worst avenger aside maybe hawkeye) dying and more focus on characters like Wanda, Agatha, Captain Marvel, Yelena, Shang Shi, etc it is fixing that. Tony Starks solo movies were all terrible except Iron Man 3, which is why i think he is the worst, supporting character at best. Also hot take but people who hate on Captain Marvel definetly hate her for the wrong reasons, she is a great character. She was just introduced at such as awkward time, but I have a feeing the Marvels will make up for tht.

Plus it seems like the MCU is going to get more of its content back such as the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and more in the future.
What are these ineptitudes about the representation of minorities doing here? The representation does not make a work of art a good work of art or a bad one. Maybe you aren't interested by art and by emotional and esthetic qualities? Are you a misomuse? Remember what Milan Kundera wrote:

« It doesn't matter if you don't have meaning for art. You can not read Proust, not listen to Schubert, and, nevertheless you can live in peace. But the misomuse does not live in peace. He feels humiliated by the existence of something beyond him and he hates it. There is popular misomusia just as there is popular anti-Semitism. The fascist and communist regimes knew how to take advantage of this when they hunted down modern art. But there is the intellectual, sophisticated misomusia: it takes revenge on art by subjecting it to a goal beyond aesthetics. The doctrine of engaged art: art as a means of a policy. The theorists for whom a work of art is only a pretext for the exercise of a method (psychoanalytic, semiological, sociological, etc.). Democratic misomusia: the market as the supreme judge of aesthetic value. » Milan Kundera, L'Art du Roman 1986

Don't worry if don't like art. Go outside and play soccer, stay at home and play video games, watch tv-shows. But please, keep your political claims for political debates and leave art to those who love it.

« Ne pas avoir de sens pour l’art, ce n’est pas grave. On peut ne pas lire Proust, ne pas écouter Schubert, et vivre en paix. Mais le misomuse ne vit pas en paix. Il se sent humilié par l’existence d’une chose qui le dépasse et il la hait. Il existe une misomusie populaire comme il y a un antisémitisme populaire. Les régimes fascistes et communistes savaient en profiter quand ils donnaient la chasse à l’art moderne. Mais il y a la misomusie intellectuelle, sophistiquée : elle se venge sur l’art en l’assujettissant à un but situé au-delà de l’esthétique. La doctrine de l’art engagé : l’art comme moyen d’une politique. Les théoriciens pour qui une oeuvre d’art n’est qu’un prétexte pour l’exercice d’une méthode (psychanalytique, sémiologique, sociologique, etc.). La misomusie démocratique : le marché en tant que juge suprême de la valeur esthétique. »

You said MCU is great. Many write it, few justify it. What is so great in MCU? Ugly CGI? Empty antagonist?

Last edited:

TC

Banned deucer.
Marvel > DC
I dont really care about whos better but im just going to remember that the dark knight trilogy from DC its a lot better than every mcu movie lol...

pd: now that i remember i saw loki on disney plus and had a good quality so far

TheValkyries

thread entirely about marvel:
some buttnuggets: Marvel vs DC

No one cares.

Also I think all complaints about soulless cgi are forbidden on a website dedicated to a series of videogames.

Gotta say, I think my favorite genre of nega-fan is definitely the "quotes art philosophers while saying unnuanced boring shit like 'empty antagonists? bad cgi? What would picasso or shakespeare think'"

Mother fucker those guys would be like "YO WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS AWESOME U SAY YOU SEE THIS SHIT EVERY YEAR?"

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
thread entirely about marvel:
some buttnuggets: Marvel vs DC

No one cares.
i was going to avoid posting itt entirely because the real discussion seems to have plateaued within 15 posts but this approach to the constant debate teeters on toxic given how prominent the two franchises are. they are in constant competition with each other, and the two long-running narratives are therefore in constant dialogue with each other online given how much everyone wants to win the pissing contest. “no one cares” is a pretty belittling way to stifle what could otherwise be an interesting conversation about the strengths, weaknesses, surprises, traditions, conventions, etc. of the two franchises.

as a primarily DC fan who probably watches every third movie that either franchise releases, these sorts of conversations fill in a lot of gaps for me where i’d otherwise be lost as fuck, so please, argue away senselessly into the night

70BBB82B-C43F-4605-9DFC-12533176ED9D.gif

TheValkyries

marvel and dc success directly benefits the popularity of the other in nearly all cases. The rivalry only exists in the minds of nerds online who think everything is like a sports game with winners and losers, which is extra funny cuz none of these nerds have probably ever cared about sports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)