Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion on the meta after having played ~110 games and reaching ~1530 elo
on the special side flutter mane and iron bundle need to go. chi-yu should be suspected atleast.
Like others chien-pao disappointed me a bit - the bp of its moves is rather low, so maybe i think it shouldnt be quickbanned. I can definetely see the case for a suspect though. The same applies to roaring moon.
Iron valaint was the physical mon that gave me the most trouble. It has potential for mixed sets and resists Mach punch and sucker punch. I would like to see it gone.
houndstone/last respects seemed interesting, cant really decide if its suspect worthy or not.
I think palafin is just good at taking advantage of the current ho meta with jet punch and while it should stay on the radar, i dont think it should be qb.
I havent seen amazing use of shed tail yet, however i think thats due to how offensive the meta is. Often there isnt enough passive stuff to take advantage of. I wouldnt mind it being gone though, as i think it will be a problem, once the meta is less ho.

Not trying to call you out in particular but this narrative has to stop. EVERYONE is aware of the value of defensive Terastalizing, and they’re using it all the time on offensive mons. .
Then use the rest of the sentence, because in this context I was talking specifically talking about the use if bypassing weather and status effects. I had already stated earlier, and even in the next 4 words after this, that people already use it to bypass normal weaknesses.

Of course everyone is using it on offensive mons, because right now everyone is playing with the new toys. We don't even have a foundation for a meta yet because the format hasn't existed that long. Obvious offenders like Flutter Mane aside, people default too whatever punches the hardest first until further strategies are developed. The defense argument remains valid, but we have to first find checks and counters to base mons before we can even talk about terasilizing.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Terastalizing is inherently strongest on the first turn you use it because of the surprise effect. If there's a mon that gets a ton of value out of a one turn defensive boost, its not a wall, but instead its a sweeper. A sweeper that can use Tera to survive a revenge killing attempt is going to get more value out of Tera than a wall that can newly beat a threat that it couldn't stop otherwise. An offensive team will be significantly better at winning a game 6v5 than a defensive team will be, due to the structure of offensive teams.

Using "Defensive Tera" is still a strat best on offense, not on fat.

I'm pretty noobish and this is my first post here fyi

https://pokepast.es/3658da33836924f1

This is a simple water fire grass core with Palafin, rotom H, and Amoonguss and its been doing pretty well for me
Imo, amoonguss is a pretty decent pokemon right now being decent checks against Palafin and a soft check against Flutter Mane. It can also counter Clodsire extremely well and switch into attack repeately thanks to Regenerator. Also spore, cause who doesn't love sleep

Terastalizing is inherently strongest on the first turn you use it because of the surprise effect. If there's a mon that gets a ton of value out of a one turn defensive boost, its not a wall, but instead its a sweeper. A sweeper that can use Tera to survive a revenge killing attempt is going to get more value out of Tera than a wall that can newly beat a threat that it couldn't stop otherwise. An offensive team will be significantly better at winning a game 6v5 than a defensive team will be, due to the structure of offensive teams.

Using "Defensive Tera" is still a strat best on offense, not on fat.
I definitely predict that, due to this, the Meta will be consistently changing. If theres a new Meta Move Set for a prominent attacker, then the Tera-Typings of other mons could adapt defensively if they lose the matchup otherwise, which could lead to a Move Set change in that mon, which again leads to Tera Typing Change, and so on and so forth.
If there is just one case where this is happening, then its not gonna have much impact, but I predict it happening on at least the attackers, relatively frequently

All the "defensive terrastal" sound like "defensive dinamax" from last gen. And please don't start with "terrastalize is the gen gimmick" this don't work last gen and look like doesn't gonna work this gen either.
Friendly reminder that the gen 8 unique gimmicks called "Dinamax" was banned by a 80%+ of the community

All the "defensive terrastal" sound like "defensive dinamax" from last gen. And please don't start with "terrastalize is the gen gimmick" this don't work last gen and look like doesn't gonna work this gen either.
Friendly reminder that the gen 8 unique gimmicks called "Dinamax" was banned by a 80%+ of the community
Cause Dynamax turned your Mon into a near unstoppable force for 3 Turns. Tera doesnt do that, Tera is needing more prep and such. I did a big post on this earlier, here

Cause Dynamax turned your Mon into a near unstoppable force for 3 Turns. Tera doesnt do that, Tera is needing more prep and such. I did a big post on this earlier, here
A few similar things:
1) You can also dynamax 1 time per battle
2) Giving a extra STAB to a offensive mons is stronger that in a defensive mons
3) Terrastalise is permanent change. This is worst that 3 turn of dynamax. You cant stalled like dynamax.
4) Make the game 50/50 of you terra or you don't. Remeber that King's Rock was banned because Cloyster Icicle Spear has around 50% finch

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
A few similar things:
1) You can also dynamax 1 time per battle
2) Giving a extra STAB to a offensive mons is stronger that in a defensive mons
3) Terrastalise is permanent change. This is worst that 3 turn of dynamax. You cant stalled like dynamax.
4) Make the game 50/50 of you terra or you don't. Remeber that King's Rock was banned because Cloyster Icicle Spear has around 50% finch
These are a bunch of false equivalences

1: Just because these two are similar doesn't mean both are bannable, (think megas and z-moves)
2: this point is fair
3: Terrastylize being permanent doesn't necessarely make it more broken than dynamax, things like mega evolution were also permanent for the duration of battle
4: This insinuates that every single turn of the battle this 50/50 exists, which is definitely untrue, there are situations where one is more inclined to Terastylize. I don't even understand what the 50/50 comparison with cloyster means, because they're two completely different scenarios, one where the 50/50 is a player prediction, and the other where the 50/50 is entirely luck based.

I really like the idea of having an OU with Tera and one without. Everyone is happy that way. I personally don't think it's that big of a problem. It only seems like it is because the broken mons that need to go are using it right now.

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Steel/Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect

This checks really well Flutter Mane. And, to be honest, a bunch of other special attackers too. Bulky mon. Tera Steel so it survives Moonblast, but it can be changed since usually it does not take enough from Moonblast to 2hko. Specs is a different crap.
EDIT: Poison Tera might be better, viol and bass is right!

Wo-Chien @ Leftovers
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Ruination
- Protect

THIS MON. The counterpart to Ting Lu, as cool. It stops a bunch of stuff. Once a thing or two are getting banned, this is going to be used more. Explore it, it's nice. Tera Steel because I didn't know what to use, I think it's going to depend on the team composition more than other mons.

Last edited:
Ting-lu is really cool.

:ss/ting-lu:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Poison
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Ruination
- Whirlwind

This is the set I've been using. Whirlwind feels phenomenal right now because of hazards being so effective and the huge number of setup sweepers, and also the fact that when you force out a Booster Energy mon, they're much easier to handle the next time they come in. I think this tanks +1 Flutter Mane Moonblasts which is really neat, and it's extremely fat on the physical side too. I believe Poison is the best tera type, because it resists Fighting, Fairy, Bug and Grass, all of which Ting-lu is weak to. This allows you to do shit like force out Valiant or surprise a Flutter Mane by taking nothing from its Moonblast. As a fat poison type it just walls so much.

It pairs quite well with Gholdengo, which can block both Defog and Spin, allowing you to keep spikes up. This makes Whirlwind much more potent.

Houndstone: It's fine. Last Respects (LR) isn't even a problem until your opponent is down 2 mons (150 Power), and even then it's only a 150 Power move from something with Mew's attack stat. Hyper Beam isn't out here OHKO'ing entire teams either. I'd reckon you need at least 3 dead mons (200 Power) before LR starts deleting enough counters indiscriminately to deserve the vitriol it's been getting. On top of that, Houndstone isn't sweeping anything without Sand, and even with Sand "needing Sand + 2/3 mons dead + Normal-Types gone" is too much setup needed before Houndstone can actually start being useful. The amount of setup needed becomes particularly annoying versus veterans who are going to see Houndstone coming from a mile away, and keep changing the weather accordingly, or preserving their Normal-Type the entire game. Basically, offensive Houndstone is a a bigger noob trap than Volcarona. I'd rather use defensive Houndstone with Fluffy. It has good bulk and a good defensive Type with only 2 weaknesses (3 with Fluffy). Anyway, the moment Last Respects is given to a remotely fast mon, drop the banhammer sure.

Booster Energy: Should've been banned once you guys figured out what it did. If Gems are literal Hitler, Booster Energy is the devil. Great Tusk and Roaring Moon blowing your team away after 1 DD/Rapid Spin + their free Download boost just from switching in is amusing but absurd.

Chinese legendaries: Surprisingly underwhelming.

Flutter Mane: This thing and the snow cat really aren't "omg broken" to me, but I'll understand if these min-maxed "turn off your brain and sweep" mons get axed from OU.

Palafin-HERO (a.k.a. E-HERO Bubbleman): No, switching out once is not enough of a drawback to have a Water-Type Slaking for the rest of the battle. You can literally lead with Palafin every battle to get around this. Gamefreak is spitting on Slow Start/Battle Bond/Truant/Defeatist at this point. Honestly just surprised everyone thinks this Uber-threat is ok in OU. Weird.

Terastal: It's fine.

Shed Tail: No, specific Pokemon should not be able to avoid Baton Pass clause. It's there for a reason. Ban this filth.

Revival Blessing: Ignore the contrarians. This has no place in competitive Singles. People will disagree until the moment PS implements it, and Pawmot suddenly appears on 99% of teams, then after Revive spam in every battle, everyone will pretend they wanted it banned all along. I'm too old for this shit.

Gholdengo: Got massive Mega-Sableye vibes from this. The ultimate spinblocker with Wonder Guard against 50% of all moves that exist (bruh). Immune to Rapid Spin, Mortal Spin, and even stops Defog (SASUGA GAMEFREAK-SAN). Hazards are here to stay (lol). Nice Fakemon. Anyway, it's fine now, but if hazard spam gets out of hand THE COUNCIL™ [should] immediately send this abomination to the Shadow Realm

Last edited:

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
really have not been understanding the cyclizar and shed tail hype. yes shed tail is conceptually a pretty absurd move, but... it seems like that's where a lot of the discussion starts and ends. cyclizar is just such an awful mon that the strategy never feels worthwhile, especially when you factor in that you're also losing out on running any one of the other utterly insane setup sweepers that will probably put in way more work. while the ghost immunity and fast rapid spin can be nice sometimes, in general cyclizar's redeeming qualities outside of shed tail are just about nonexistent - a lot of the times you are effectively opting into 5v6 for most of the game by loading this mon and trying to fish for shed tail turns. finding a turn to pass a sub successfully is also quite hard because of how bad cyclizar is at forcing switches, and because genuinely everything in this tier is a monster that can break sub without even trying. it's a little easier to do on screens but being solely relegated to screens ho is also a limitation of the strategy - and again, another breaker or setup sweeper in that slot is probably just going to contribute more to the team anyways

that said, if there's any reason behind the occasional success of shed tail strategies, it's 100% because of the abusers and not cyclizar. obviously stuff like flutter mane, tera dnite/roaring moon, bu palafin etc are going to be insane if you can manage to get them behind a sub with screens up, but that doesn't mean shed tail or cyclizar are quickban worthy. ou's modus operandi (not always, but as far as i understand) has historically been to ban abusers before the enablers - futureport slowking + abusers like urshifu-ss last gen may not be a perfect example but it's the one that's coming to mind. tldr please don't quickban this mon and instead get rid of the actually broken things first

These are a bunch of false equivalences

1: Just because these two are similar doesn't mean both are bannable, (think megas and z-moves)
2: this point is fair
3: Terrastylize being permanent doesn't necessarely make it more broken than dynamax, things like mega evolution were also permanent for the duration of battle
4: This insinuates that every single turn of the battle this 50/50 exists, which is definitely untrue, there are situations where one is more inclined to Terastylize. I don't even understand what the 50/50 comparison with cloyster means, because they're two completely different scenarios, one where the 50/50 is a player prediction, and the other where the 50/50 is entirely luck based.
When the last point maybe a bit over the top.
I still think that Terrastalize is more broken that Z and Megas. Z moves was full ofensive but limit your items and Megas has limited pokemon that can megaevolve. Some was too much and was banned but things like Mega Audino, Agrron and Steelix never was broken.
All mon can terrastalize, doesn’t need a item and is a permanent change.
Also give you full potencial Terra Blast wich his a stronger Hidden Power that 1) has STAB and 2) isn't limited to the Special side like Hidden Power.

The more Roaring Moon I play the more I just feel kind of underwhelmed. When he hits he really hits but if he runs into a competent wall he isnt super effective against and/or is hit by a good BP with neutral STAB the wind is completely taken out of his sails. Have also experienced this but more frequently when using Iron Valiant.

Here are some mons I enjoyed discovering and deserve IMO more usage:

:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Tera Blast
- Trick
This mon is definitely great and many options can be explored with it. Its good special attack, great typing and nuclear move in "make it rain" make it a perfect choice scarf user. Its ability is one of the best and gives you free turns vs mons like Grimmsnarl (blocking parting shot). While it has focus blast, I think Tera blast fight is more reliable. Tera fight gives Gholdengo also an opportunity to tank Sucker Punch. The last move can be coverage like psychic or thunderbolt, status like twave. Trick is a great last option to stop set-up sweepers for example.

:Iron-hands:
Iron Hands @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
Iron Hands can be a great alternative to Great Tusk as they share similarities. Its bulk and HP stat allow it to choose assault vest as an item, forcing trades with its enormous offensive potential. Its options are also greatly customizable. Close Combat with ice and thunder Punch form impressive coverage and at least neutral damage on every switch. Heavy slam paired with tera steel makes it become a potent answer to flutter mane and tera steel gives it a great defensive typing. Some other options can be used like Fire Punch or Earthquake.
252 SpA Flutter Mane Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 123-145 (24 - 28.3%)

the last one is more situational but it is fun and will maybe have more usage in the future as brokers will go.
:Espathra:
Espathra @ Twisted Spoon/leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Fairy
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Lumina Crash/Substitute
- Tera Blast
Espathra pairs well with Shed Tail users and can be a huge threat in-game. Calm Mind+Stored Power+Speed Boost all transform it quickly in a breaker and Lumina Crash is a cool move to weaken a potential defensive answer on the switch, lowering its spe def by 2. Finally Tera Blast with Fairy as a Tera type allows it to get rid of dark types and tank Sucker Punch. Dazzling gleam can be another option if you don't want to Tera this Pokemon.

I wanted to talk a little bit about what I think it's broken right now, and what I think should stay for more time and can be decided later.
I will leave terastelize in for now since many things are broken WITH or WITHOUT terastelizing, and since both players can do it on any mon, not just this one specific, I'm gonna let it slide for now.

First of all, Flutter Mane. Ban it.
I find flutter mane to be an amazing pokemon, too powerful for this gen's OU
I used it myself a lot, and almost all the time using a hex calm mind set, which, gotta say, pretty op. If you keep it until the right moment, you can use the energy booster pretty well to gain speed, stopping what could be a would be sweep against you, or to start your own, and calm mind is pretty much free against a special attacker if you have screens up, which are really amazing with gholdengo and grimmsnarl being powerfull screen setters in this early meta. I've been running fairy type terastelization but fighting type one is really amazing aswell (I simply prefer to have the option of more powerful moonblasts), since they stop what could be a revenge kill by a kingambit with sucker punch or a shadow sneak from iron valiant/houndstone if it has a good amount of hp left, making a way to check it way harder. Together with a special attack that makes walling it harder and kills any try to switch in, the best ways to counter it and usually avoid any terastelizing problems are by using screens yourself, using a jet punch from a Palafin-Hero,
chip it down with hazards/attacks when switching in enough for it to be possible a special attacker 2 hit ko or a first impression from a Lokix.
The most reliable wall that is available would have to be a physdef clodsire, but even then, if it takes too much damage it isn't a check.
Other than that, keep a terastelizing ready to counter it. Most of my attempts at countering it I had to try to predict and make switches into things that if not by resisting, would get 1 hit ko'd after a cm boost, and scarf/specs/lo sets exist, so it's pretty obvious why I wish it was gone.

Cyclizar, an amazing pokemon. Suspect test it after Palafin, Flutter and the doggo move, and in case shed tail itself from orthworm seems too broken aswell, ban the move shed tail and unban it.
It's amazing how this pokemon who at first didn't seem really great when it was announced, found itself to be one of the most broken pokemon ever.
First of all, the most broken thing of all, multiscale. Being able to switch in a dragonite that takes half dmg from everything is INSANE. I needed 3 attacks to break down the sub the first time I met this strat, and it was before I could touch dragonite. Thank god Lugia isn't in or I don't even want to know what Ubers would be facing.
Besides shed tail, which with regenerator is already a reason to get this mon banned, it also learns rapid spin, knock off, taunt, and I'm not even gonna mention how if the biggest threats were gone, it could even perhaps run a shift gear flame orb facade moveset, where it didn't even need to invest much in speed evs and could consider bulk. It also has stab priority in quick attack if it was needed (After flutter mane is gone, it would be a possible thing like many other normal types being viable) as an overall good movepool.
I believe that perhaps with flutter mane is gone, it could actually start being worst with dragapult showing up more and many other pokemon like the dark squad aswell.

I'd personally wait a little bit after those 2 are gone before seeing how this one threatens the meta, so for now, purely a suspect test.
Being a mega weavile, Chien-Pao is, after those 2, the most broken one. I want to see if those 2 being gone opens up more walls that could try to handle this pokemon, which, honestly, I REALLY doubt. First of all, this pokemon's ability reduces the base stat of the opposing pokemon's defense by 25%, which by itself, is already op, second, it's movepool. This pokemon learns ice spinner, a solid ice move (Finally there's one) and great dark type stab moves in sucker punch/crunch/throat chop. It is able to threaten would be steel and dark checks with sacred sword, learns psychic fangs to end fighting types without priority, learns acrobatics, which to be honest it isn't really the best thing on a ice type pokemon but it's something, and a priority in ice shard. It can run banded sets or even life orb with swords dance, being able to single handedly destroy the whole meta. Being fast means it's sucker punches can hit before other priorities like Jet Punch and the best check right now is probably azumarill. and that means a lot.
I personally want to see if the paldean tauros can find themselves being used as a counter since many pokemon can be handled by their typing/intimidate, and they also have a 90bp move that ends screens, and the fire type one even has will-o-wisp, but then again, the speed tier and psychic fangs save this mon from being walled by other things.

Iron Valiant is a pokemon I'm not gonna talk about much because personally I never found it to be that big of a problem, then again, might be just matchup dependant, but something like clodsire probably walls well. Though I gotta say it's ability to run both physical or special sets can make it something to be tested in the future.

Roaring Moon. It's definitely an interesting pokemon. I don't think this pokemon is ban worthy, and right now, I wouldn't even suggest a test over many other things first. Before everything, I'd like to say that people overreact to this pokemon. 1: People say it's really op but scarf dragapult, priority or scarf chien pao, boster speed iron bundle, iron valiant can handle it a bit well and many priorities are able to stop him like mach punch or first impression after a dragon dance, which it needs to, first, setup. Something like lokix and slither wing basically force it to either waste the terastelizing or instantly lose the pokemon, and many tera to steel type which still suffers to fighting type priorities so this isn't an option. I will admit it is strong but unaware pokemon like physdef dondozo can handle it with, for example, a body press. 2: People will say many times "Oh but it terastelizes..." but being real, first of all you are wasting a terastelize on a pokemon that can probably be destroyed by other priorities in the tier, second, it can happen that you have already used terastelize, and in that case it can be a real tough job to keep it alive. Fairy types like flutter do keep it in check, but there isn't a lack of options, and to be honest, it's the type of pokemon that would stay if terastelizing was banned.
I will admit however, that unless some walls start showing up after other bans, this thing could get out of hand and in that case it would indeed need to be banned.

The doggo houndstone, either ban him or the move, and personally, the move. It's pretty obvious how this pokemon was running scarf sets, and the other who is faster and has adaptability wouldn't surprise to anyone if it got banned even WITHOUT the move, having access to switft swim aswell. Being an absolute MENACE to the tier. This pokemon can be a good wall in the tier with fluffy and i'd hate to lose it's potencial purely from a move cause other pokemon will get it.

Palafin. I used this pokemon a lot, and personally, suspect test him after flutter mane and the doggo move, perhaps even before cyclizar. Personally, I don't think it should be banned. There are definitely things that wall him in the tier like Physdef Poison Heal breloom or water absorb clodsire, slowking/slowbro, azumarill (Once again) can prove to be a pokemon who counters many of the meta pokemon and physdef dragonite could work aswell, since apparently it's movepool is so stuck to the same flip turn, jet punch, wave crash and close combat, that I doubt we will see ice punch in there, as it really can't seem to drop one, and if it were, many other pokemon could start to wall it. I will say however that its definitely a threat since it can run scarf/banded sets and always bring so much value to the table, being a pokemon that stops many others from being broken right now. Something that is also true however, is the fact that bulk up sets started appearing, and those can prove themselves to be really hard to handle. I hope after more bans the meta evolves into one where it can tank such strong attacks, because being real as soon as this pokemon is gone, many others will be aswell.

Hope I made myself clear and my opinion on the meta right now. It has been fun to play with all the new pokemon and I hope my point of view was of some help.

Last edited:
Shed Tail's problematic aspect, to me, isn't in its generic theory. It's the fact that it only needs to work once.

When building a team around a sweeper (or two), the goal is to create a checkmate scenario. The easier it is to achieve that checkmate, the better, be it from grooming the environment and the opposing team and removing things you need removed, or bolstering the raw strength of the setup. Shed Tail and Terastallize both do the latter, reducing the amount of risks, momentum conversions, and checkmarks required to win, especially when combined together.
Cyclizar and Orthworm don't need to interact with the opponent, they don't need synergizing abilities like Regenerator, they don't even really need other moves. All they need to do, once the desired hazards are set and certain opposing pokemon are removed or sufficiently weakened, is get in off of a sack, and press Shed Tail. After that, boosting moves, adapta-like/antirevenge/coverage-boosting Terastallization, Tera Blast coverage, and in the current metagame Protosynthesis/Quark Drive boosts will decide the battle. It either wins the game or loses the game, in either scenario rendering the Shed Tail user's impact on second appearance null and moot.

Regenerator with Shed Tail is what makes it op. you can usually use 3 shed tails maybe 4 or even 5 if you get lucky. Orthworm can't do it more than once really.

Slowking) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
Calm Nature
- Future Sight
- Thunder Wave/Surf/Scald
- Slack Off
- Chilly Reception

Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Toxic

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Tera Type: Fighting
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Body Press/Brave Bird
- U-turn

I don't know who it was that suggested Slowking earlier but Slowking is the perfect compliment to Corviknight and Clodsire currently. Regenerator is still really good as an ability. Chilly Reception is a neat Teleport replacement that also removes Protosynthesis from Sun and the lack of Scald means I've been testing Thunder Wave and Surf, right now I think Thunder Wave is the way to go but Surf is available if you need an attack every turn and Future Sight isn't cutting it.

Water Absorb is a trap on Clodsire IMO - always use Unaware. The Water Resistance is great especially against Palafin but I'm seeing them run Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch now so you're not actually stopping the Bulk Up sets. Besides, in a Flutter Mane meta, Specs Tera Ghost Shadow Ball from Flutter Mane 3HKOs, meanwhile Clodsire 2HKOs with Earthquake. I'm torn over Gunk Shot and Toxic but ultimately I think Clodsire is just a little too weak to really use Gunk Shot effectively.

Corviknight should have a Teratype that resists Dark types that can threaten this core (looking mainly at Chi-Yu and Chien-Pao). I use Fighting currently as I have Baxcalibur in my current iteration and it means I can get Magnezone as they try and trap with Body Press. Fairy is another consideration for the resistances. U-Turn is great as the core is rather weak when it comes to damaging Pokemon and it means you can switch out into a threat safely, like Chi-Yu (which I do have on this team).

I also use a Focus Sash Technician Breloom with Mach Punch (Tera Fighting) and Spore, catches a lot of guard. You could switch that to a Loaded Dice Breloom to make Bullet Seed pack a punch but I primarily use Mach Punch when attacking.

I have used Cetitan and Baxcalibur with this Chilly Reception Slowking and I am currently quite underwhelmed. Cetitan needs a bit more support than Snow in my opinion, especially if you're using Slush Rush. As for Baxcalibur, it doesn't need help with defense, it needs help with Steels/Fairy types being removed so that it can spam Glaive Rush.

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
Long time lurker making my first post here to say that in the meantime before the obvious Flutter Mane quickban, AV Iron Hands is a pretty good check to it that serves other valuable metagame purposes. This is the set:

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Heavy Slam
- Volt Switch

These are the relevant calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 294-348 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 124-147 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- 99% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 257-304 (50.2 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 198-234 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Now, on the face of it, this might not seem like a good idea due to the obvious Moonblast weakness. Specs and LO Moonblast being a guaranteed 2HKO prevents Iron Hands from being a solid switch in (pre-Tera at least). However, Iron Hands can always tank at least one hit and then OHKO Flutter Mane in return using Heavy Slam, and is exceptional at dealing with Booster Energy variants. Of course, this may not be secure enough at times, and this is where Tera Steel comes in. Terastallizing into the Steel type means Flutter Mane can do pretty much nothing to Iron Hands, and for that matter most mons except for Great Tusk and Iron Treads can't either. Furthermore, your Heavy Slams become extremely powerful as well even with no attack investment.

Iron Hands isn't just good for Flutter Mane; it also has very good matchups against current top metagame threats such as Roaring Moon, Iron Bundle, Baxcalibur and especially Chien-Pao. It has a lot of utility, being able to deal solid damage with no investment, recover with Drain Punch, and even act as a slow pivot with Volt Switch. Definitely give this mon a try. I made an Electric Terrain team featuring the Iron Hands AV set, who is a great support for the rest of the busted mons on its team:
Iron Bundle @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Pincurchin (M) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Spikes
- Recover
- Surf

Iron Valiant @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spirit Break
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Iron Jugulis @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Heavy Slam
- Volt Switch
Might make a separate post about Iron Bundle who also features on this team, I feel people are sleeping on it atm

Last edited:
I have used Cetitan and Baxcalibur with this Chilly Reception Slowking and I am currently quite underwhelmed. Cetitan needs a bit more support than Snow in my opinion, especially if you're using Slush Rush.
The first pokemon I tried was cetitan, and right now, in the current meta, it doesn't work. There are too many priorities going around, but tera electric can be pretty cool since it's basically an arctozolt. without the op electric stab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)