・゚✧ (≖ᴗ≖✿) Potatoville ✧*・

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
:blobastonished: Everything is so different and everyone is so different and I am confused
But well, here's another one of those updates of art I post every decade or so

plein1.png

nose2 copy10 copy.jpg

gesture13.png

nose1 copy.jpg

Basically I've finally taken it upon myself to sit my butt down and study how to draw people and anatomy. Almost everything I draw nowadays is just studies, so they're very boring and I won't post em here cause disembodied body parts and alarming portraits. Hehe. Back to lurking, bye~​

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
These are all so good! I can tell you've been putting a lot of effort into studying anatomy, because there is so much attention to detail in the musculature and facial structure of each character. The perspective in the third painting is really cool, and must have been a challenge to accurately render. I can also tell you payed close attention to the lighting conditions in each scene; that orange-ish highlight in the corner of the model's face in the second painting contrasts well against the darker, more blue tones of the shadows over his face, and each of the character's abs in the third painting have their own highlights and shadows.

Honestly I'd love to see your studies, but I understand if you wouldn't want to post them. I've been trying to study anatomy and more serious drawing techniques for a while (though I've been slacking a bit lately to be honest), and it'd be nice to see how someone else is doing it!

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I'm deciding to focus on my 3D rendering when it comes to improving my painting skills so I don't tend to do much of this kind of art anymore, but I'll post these here too. I spent a good deal of time on tumblr where there is a bit of an animated artwork culture, so naturally I incorporated it into some of my work. Basically went through a One Piece fanart binge a while back aha

Oh, and
xd

These are all so good! I can tell you've been putting a lot of effort into studying anatomy, because there is so much attention to detail in the musculature and facial structure of each character. The perspective in the third painting is really cool, and must have been a challenge to accurately render. I can also tell you payed close attention to the lighting conditions in each scene; that orange-ish highlight in the corner of the model's face in the second painting contrasts well against the darker, more blue tones of the shadows over his face, and each of the character's abs in the third painting have their own highlights and shadows.

Honestly I'd love to see your studies, but I understand if you wouldn't want to post them. I've been trying to study anatomy and more serious drawing techniques for a while (though I've been slacking a bit lately to be honest), and it'd be nice to see how someone else is doing it!
Hi Mini, happy to see you're still around too <3 Thank you so much for the kind words! I've been spending a lot of time learning to analyze the technical construction of professional level art myself, and still have a ways to go with my fundamentals as well. Been trying to draw every day to develop a good habit for it, I've taken so many breaks over the years from drawing and I've decided that's going to stop now \o/

Most of my studies are rather focused and it feels very weird to be posting them on smogon, like basically:

LOL. Very instructional for me personally but also very boring and dry and not Pokemon related at all haha. I mostly just post em to my twitter and tumblr. If it helps you can look up Proko on youtube, he has a really neat free anatomy series that goes through the basics of gesture drawing + how to visualize the underlying 3D structures of the body, they're great vids :'D

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If it helps you can look up Proko on youtube, he has a really neat free anatomy series that goes through the basics of gesture drawing + how to visualize the underlying 3D structures of the body, they're great vids :'D
I LOVE Proko! I've been watching his videos on and off for three or four years now, and his instruction is what helped me analyze my problem areas and learn how to improve in a way that I don't think I ever could have on my own. I must have watched his series on gesture drawing a few dozen times already, and he's always my first stop whenever I want to study a particular muscle or part of the skeleton. It feels validating to me to see someone else improve so much using the same resources I am!

And dang those animated pieces are cool! There may be some significance to the design choices in them that's lost on me since I've never watched One Piece myself, but I love the intricate floral designs on the first piece, and that bright golden yellow on the otherwise monochrome Luffy piece is very visually striking.

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I don't have much else to update with X'D I did some more One Piece stuff but I don't like em enough to post here from my tumblr lmao

And some studies I guess:

That's probably the last I'll be posting here for a while~​

I LOVE Proko! I've been watching his videos on and off for three or four years now, and his instruction is what helped me analyze my problem areas and learn how to improve in a way that I don't think I ever could have on my own. I must have watched his series on gesture drawing a few dozen times already, and he's always my first stop whenever I want to study a particular muscle or part of the skeleton. It feels validating to me to see someone else improve so much using the same resources I am!

And dang those animated pieces are cool! There may be some significance to the design choices in them that's lost on me since I've never watched One Piece myself, but I love the intricate floral designs on the first piece, and that bright golden yellow on the otherwise monochrome Luffy piece is very visually striking.
Yes! Proko honestly has been life-changing for me. I'm so happy we're both using his lessons!! Though his channel is really popular it feels like very few artists I've met have actually sat down and done his homework hahaha. I only just found out about his stuff 4 months ago, and I've been slowly working through the lessons ever since. It's actually sort of always been my dream to get better at drawing anatomy, but I didn't go to art school so I never thought I'd really get the chance to study it seriously. Which is dumb in this day and age with all the free resources available online, but well. :v

And thank you so much ♥ As a matter of fact yes, I originally posted them to my social media with some descriptions of my reasoning behind some of the design choices. I'm a big fan of incorporating visual metaphors and references in my work becuz I'm a nerd LMAO. I'll try to summarize them quickly aha:
  1. In the floral piece, the character Nico Robin is surrounded by carnations because in floriography, carnations of certain colors are symbols of a mother's love. This fits both Robin's role as the mature motherly figure to the rest of the crew in One Piece, as well as that of her mother, who loved Robin dearly but for her safety and future had to reject their familial relationship to protect her.
  2. In the second piece with Katakuri and the tattoo of the "wing" on the back, it's a visual metaphor for the character removing his scarf (which he used to hide his facial deformations) in an act of liberating himself, which was a really important and dramatic event in the story. The character has a tattoo of a wing on his back, so I designed the scarf covering his face to also partially look like the tattoo of the wing. You see through the scarf to his back and to his uncovered face. Basically sort of a visual...inception? Heh
  3. In the one with Luffy and the raven, I chose to highlight the dichotomy of Luffy's presentation as a pirate. Ravens are symbols of both misfortune and good omens in different cultures, which is similar to how Luffy is a force of justice and good in the world of One Piece but also an unruly pirate causing a ruckus who's set to change the world
  4. The masked man's face reveal was also pretty dramatic because of the circumstances in the story. He's unwell and normally wouldn't take off his mask, so the semi-transparent mask I drew is sort of a statement about that
But these days I don't do finished fanart like those anymore since I spend my time drawing studying so it will be a while before I get back to it >_<

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In my restless dreams, I see that town, Silent Hill Potatoville,

While I have already been familiar with your genuinely prodigious artistry and your gallery here, I never really left any feedback up until now.
I originally wasn't sure if you'd ever come back, but, since you're already here, I thought I'd welcome the opportunity to finally leave an evaluation.
I'm no artist, hence why I can only really comment from the perspective of an external observer, but I'm genuinely interested in your art nonetheless.

Firstly, by taking a look at the timeline of your works, one can immediately notice the enormous constant progress over time.
You never stood still, continuously investing more and more time, effort and passion into improving as an artist and it clearly shows.
Your works speak a clear language and they speak volumes no less. Art is known to rise to speak where words alone are insufficient after all, isn't it?

Secondly, I absolutely admire the incredibly adroit interplay of light and shadow in your works, especially in the more recent ones.
At first glance, it is for example difficult for someone without the proverbial "well-trained eye" to tell your drawings apart from photographs.
In a sense, your life-like realist art is somewhat of a sui generis class that is neither a drawing, nor a photograph, rather something "in between".
That's how I would judge it anyway.

You should definitely keep this up and use it to your advantage as a recognizeable artistic fingerprint in addition to your already existing signature.
In Ben Stahl's words "Make it your own", but also "Don't use one element more than once per artwork, change things up".
I guess you have to mash elements, like potatoes, if you will.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to following your progress in the future as well!

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
Figured I would update with some of the artwork I've done on Smogon the past months:

The above were drawn as gifts for my boyfriend, Max. Optimizer, for his Wifi trade thread \o/ The third one is a quick sketch reminiscent of the style seen in the Obluda storybook from the anime/manga series, MONSTER, by Naoki Urasawa.

The above was drawn for the recently released Flying Press article, Monotype's Newest Faces.

In my restless dreams, I see that town, Silent Hill Potatoville,

While I have already been familiar with your genuinely prodigious artistry and your gallery here, I never really left any feedback up until now.
I originally wasn't sure if you'd ever come back, but, since you're already here, I thought I'd welcome the opportunity to finally leave an evaluation.
I'm no artist, hence why I can only really comment from the perspective of an external observer, but I'm genuinely interested in your art nonetheless.

Firstly, by taking a look at the timeline of your works, one can immediately notice the enormous constant progress over time.
You never stood still, continuously investing more and more time, effort and passion into improving as an artist and it clearly shows.
Your works speak a clear language and they speak volumes no less. Art is known to rise to speak where words alone are insufficient after all, isn't it?

Secondly, I absolutely admire the incredibly adroit interplay of light and shadow in your works, especially in the more recent ones.
At first glance, it is for example difficult for someone without the proverbial "well-trained eye" to tell your drawings apart from photographs.
In a sense, your life-like realist art is somewhat of a sui generis class that is neither a drawing, nor a photograph, rather something "in between".
That's how I would judge it anyway.

You should definitely keep this up and use it to your advantage as a recognizeable artistic fingerprint in addition to your already existing signature.
In Ben Stahl's words "Make it your own", but also "Don't use one element more than once per artwork, change things up".
I guess you have to mash elements, like potatoes, if you will.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to following your progress in the future as well!
:3 \pet Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)