SS OU #1 Peak (2005 elo), CM Clefable with Hazard Stack Support

Have you been swept by Calm Mind Clefable?

• Yes, who hasn't

Votes: 88 72.1%
  • No, but I'm also lying about that

Votes: 34 27.9%

• Total voters
Welcome to the RMT of the #1 peaking CM Clefable team! Hope you enjoy the read and the team itself.

Proof of Peak

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517561026-t5jxjqbpg36cjrv1ks0fq5plzik8o7jpw

Screenshot (on a phone) of #1 ladder ranking with my alternate account, Stealthy Koala

1645736349009-png.409071.png

Clefable

36-0.png

Moves

* Moonblast: Easy to click move that is a fantastic STAB as nothing is immune to moonblast in any capacity.

* Thunder: Gives Clefale a real option to hit Toxapex, para common defensive checks like Melmetal, Heatran, and unaware Clefable.

* Soft Boiled: Reliable recovery that makes Clefable a threat at all times.

* Calm Mind: Lets it boost up its special defense bulk to take special hits better and boost its attack power to break down otherwise walls, Blissey without thunder wave is a prime example.

Spread

* 252 HP, 196 Defense, 60 Speed, Bold Nature: Clefable acts as a defensive pivot a lot against many physical attackers and wants as much bulk to spam calm mind and sweep, so max HP and nearly fully invested defense maximizes Clefables opportunity to do just that. The speed is there to get the jump on no investment base 70's .

Item

* Life Orb: Gives Clefable a much appreciated power boost and lets it be able heavily pressure stall teams that would otherwise give this set a lot of trouble.

Ability

* Magic Guard: Makes Clefable completely immune to hazards, passive damage, and doesn't take recoil damage from life orb when attacking.

Garchomp

445-0.png

Moves

* Earthquake: Powerful STAB that gives Garchomp the ability to ohko many threats like Heatran, Bisharp, Victini, Tapu Koko, Blacephalon, and Excadrill while also being able to 2hko Toxapex, Tyranitar, and Volcarona.

* Scale Shot: The speed boost is important to allowing Garchomp to be a late game option against fast offensive teams. The ability to break multiscale on Dragonite and get through subsitute users is also invaluable in a pinch. For those wondering what this move can do against Corviknight, it pressures it enough when boosted to force either a roost or leave Corviknight heavily chipped from rough skin and the attack damage. Scale shot can also act as a form of a last resort of speed control.

* Stealth Rock: Most powerful move in the game as it chips down the opponent reveals items and abilities on a pokemon as well.

* Swords Dance: Applies pressure against defog users and provides a opportunity to wall break as well.

Spread

* 252 Attack, 252 Speed, Jolly Nature: Max attacking power is needed to get the most offensive pressure possible out of Garchomp with a swords dance rocks set. The max speed investment gives Garchomp the jump on many base 100's.

Item

* Leftovers: This item allows Garchomp to essentially take no damage from stealth rocks and last a long time in a battle.

Ability

* Rough Skin: Chips the opponent on physical contact moves, this allows Garchomp to pressure Corviknight and other pokemon who try to pivot in and click u-turn on it. This also allows Garchomp to be a threat even on a switch.

Ferrothorn

598-0.png

Moves

* Spikes: Targets grounded pokemon to put in range of many different attacks and maintain constant pressure against the opponent.

* Leech Seed: Helps with recovery of not only itself, but a incoming teammate switching in and maintaining pressure.

* Knock Off: Removes leftovers and heavy duty boots from pokemon like Landorus T, Ferrothorn, Tornadus Therian, Zapdos, and Corviknight. This helps break down the opponent through stealth rocks and spikes far easier.

* Body Press: Bisharp, opposing Ferrothorn, Weavile, Heatran on switch after knock off, and Tyranitar are all common targets of this move.

Spread

* 248 HP, 252 Defense, 8 Special Defense, Impish Nature: Since Ferrothorn is the Weavile and Bisharp answer, having the maximum bulk possible defensively on the physical side is needed to last in battle.

Item

* Leftovers

Ability

* Iron Barbs: Ferrothorn can rack up signficant chip damage on u-turn, knock off, and other attacks that make contact with it to wear down the opponent in conjunction with hazards and knock off.

Tornadus-Therian

641-1.png

Moves

* Hurricane: While being a low accuracy move, this does give Tornadus the power to threaten pokemon like Landorus, Rillaboom, Kartana, and Urshifu without the drawback of low power output.

* Defog: Removes hazards from the field, lets the team control the hazard war and giving Weavile more opportunities to attack.

* Taunt: Blocks off hazard stacking, status moves, set up sweeping, teleport, and defog to apply more pressure against a passive opponent.

* U-Turn: A pivot move that gives momentum with optimal match-ups, synergizes well with regenerator.

Spread

* 248 HP, 252 Speed, 8 Special Defense, Timid Nature: Max speed with a timid natrue is choosen to get the jump on other Tornadus T and adamant Weavile. 248 hp makes Tornadus as bulky as it can be in the scouting role with max speed.

Item

* Heavy Duty Boots: Gives full immunity to Tornadus from stealth rocks, this allows it to last in battle a lot longer than it otherwise would.

Ability

* Regenerator: Heals off 1/3 of Tornadus T's HP every time it switches out, gives it great longevity and pairs well on a team who likes to switch around a lot.

Rotom-Wash

479-2.png

Moves

* Hydro Pump: Main STAB move that lets it threaten Heatran and water weak grounds like Landorus consistently. This allows for volt switch to be easily used throughout a match.

* Volt Switch: The STAB pivot move that hits water and flying types for super effective damage, maintaining momentum with ease.

* Pain Split: Chips away at the opponent while healing Rotom W, pairs well with hazard stacking and gives momentum to the team while still being able to play defensively.

* Thunder Wave: Another form of speed control, RNG control, and lets it cripple other sweeping attempts that could otherwise overwhelm the team.

Spread

* 248 HP, 172 Special Defense, 88 Speed, Calm Nature: Maximum HP and heavily invested special defense gives Rotom W the ability to reliablely switch into Zapdos, Heatran, and be able to get thunder wave off on special threats like Dragapult and Tapu Lele far easier. 88 Speed investment is to outpace jolly Crawdaunt, Modest Magnezone, Adamant Tyranitar, Blacephelon after using trick choice scarf, and no investment Landorus T.

Item

* Leftovers: Passive recovery to last in battle and avoid getting overwhelmed by stealth rocks is massively important to Rotom W in many matches, synergizes well with pain split.

Weavile

461-0.png

Moves

* Knock Off: Easy to click move that hits every pokemon while removing items like leftovers and heavy duty boots that makes the hazad stacking more effective.

* Icicle Crash: I don't like missing and pairs well with the para spam, so Triple Axel is not used for this slot because of that.

* Ice Shard: Powerful priority that makes the match-up against offense a lot easier, mainly against dragon and flying type pokemon like Garchomp, Dragonite, and agility Moltres-G.

* Poison Jab: Niche choice, but it massively improves the calm mind Tapu Fini match-up that would otherwise be incredibly annoying to deal with. This slot is quite customizable, so this is essentially a free slot to do whatever you want.

Spread

* 252 Attack, 252 Speed, Jolly Nature: As much power and speed as possible is needed on choice band Weavile. Jolly nature is choosen because of the jump on Tornadus T and Adamant Weavile.

Item

* Choice Band: For the maximum raw damage and lets it be more immediately threatening, something this team does lack outside of Weavile early game. Also makes Ice Shard a lot stronger, a massive boost against fast offensive teams.

Ability

* Pressure: This allows Weavile to scout out if it's faster than another pokemon that has an ability that activates as it switches in. For example, if Excadrill's mold breaker activated before Weavile's pressure, Weavile is slower.

When analyzing the meta, I noticed that Clefable with calm mind and thunder was difficult for many teams to handle since it isn't affected by hazard stacking, toxic from common defensive pokemon, and pure fairy typing was great as usual defensivey. This gives Clefable many opportunities to set up and sweep or put on offensive pressure early game. The next part of the team will be the main support pokemon for Clefable to shine bright, the traits I were looking for was the following:

* Spike and stealth rock users who synergize off eachother and Clefable well

* Put pressure on defog users relentlessly

* Lure in pokemon that Clefable likes to set up on

* Provide a positive match-up against common Clefable answers

* Not stealth rock weak

* Add massive defensive versatility

The choices for the spiker was between Ferrothorn and nothing else as I didn't see Skamory as aggressive enough to maintain momentum and pressure against defog users. For what paired well with Ferrothorn as a rocker, the pokemon I was by far most intrigued with was Garchomp since it paired incredibly well next to Ferrothorn and Clefable with its dragon/ground typing. The duo of Ferrothorn and Garchomp lure in many of eachothers checks and chip them down through hazards, leech seed, rough skin/iron barbs, and attacking moves. They also are both resistant to stealth rocks, so they can switch around quite easily throughout a long game and constantly annoy the opponent with leftovers recovery. For the next part of the team, the goal was to do the following:

* Be able to handle common moves like Shadow Ball and Earthquake while giving the team more flexability defensively so not only one pokemon is responsible for everything defensively.

* Maintain pressure and momentum, otherwise the hazards were for nothing.

* Provide offensive synergy with the existing core.

* Allow the team to scout early game to make the hazard stacking chain easier to pull off.

* Have the ability to bluff many different sets, have the opponent guess to some level of what each set could be on the team while providing defog support.

To fill the role of scouting, momentum keeping, defensive utility, and providing set versatility, Tornadus Therian and Rotom W were selected. They give the team a voltturn option that's hard to stop. Tornadus T can use taunt to keep hazards up while having regenerator and heavy duty boots to stay healthy, it works in a hazard stack setting. Rotom W can use pain split with the hazards to severely chip the opponent down quickly and then use volt switch, one that isn't easily stopped by Lando T thanks to Hydro Miss, keep up the momentum. Both have the bulk and longevity to act as key early game scouting pokemon and annoy the opponent to no end throughout the entire game, slowly chipping them away for the inevitable Clefable sweep. Because of these traits, they synergize extremely well with the Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp trio. For the last slot, it was to fill in the speed control, shadow ball resist, priority, and second knock off user needs, Weavile was the best choice since it was the only option and is one of the best pokemon in the tier period.

* Opposing bulky hazard stacking teams will normally not be able to overwhelm since the team does so well against hazard stacking itself. However, there are some match-ups, Tapu Koko for example, where having all the hazards up without a boosted Clefable is asking for trouble, but always a winnable match-up.

* Non-weather hyper offense teams normally aren't able to auto-win since most set-up sweeper threats are well covered and para spam (thunder on Clef and thunder wave on Rotom W) cripples many sweeping attempts. Volcarona is by far the most lethal sweeper on these teams, Garchomp and Rotom W will normally be needed to beat any Volcarona variant. Safeguard Volcarona isn't the biggest threat since Garchomp handles its weak fire moves, but a burn from flamethrower can outright end the match.

* Rain offense, mainly volt switch Zapdos and specs Volcanion, are massive threats when hazards aren't set up. It's tricky, but finding a way to get stealth rocks up is vital for victory and keeping the opponent on their backfoot early with Rotom W.

* Ghost spam is not normally something that will overwhelm this team since Tornadus is consistent at scouting sets early on. Thunder Dragapult can be annoying, but it's also incredibly rare. A well played Specs Blacephalon is one of the hardest pokemon to face since it forces many extremely risky 50/50's. Scarf can also be annoying because of trick, but these variants are far less threatening because the damage output is not enough to where switching around isn't a option.

* Stall teams don't have a fun time against a single pokemon on the team, always a winnable match-up. Some Shedinja stalls are incredibly difficult to break if they opt for heavy duty boots instead of safety goggles or focus sash, but still possible if Shedinja's support is removed. Keeping Clefable and to some extent Garchomp away from knock off is extremely important to win.

* Tapu Lele can be annoying, but Tornadus can scout the set out well as it outspeeds specs, takes every hit from scarf that isn't the super rare modest thunder. Specs sets are easy to revenge kill while scarf doesn't do enough damage to make consistent pivots not a option.

* Other calm mind users can be a threat, but thunder wave and pain split rotom W, taunt tornadus, your own calm mind Clefable, and banded Weavile tends to be enough. Calm mind Hatterene, while super rare, is capable of going solo against the entire team if it sets up freely.

* Galarian Slowking is annoying due to powerful attacks like future sight, sludge bomb, and annoying coverage moves. It can be outplayed and heavily chipped by Ferrothorn, Rotom Wash, and Tornadus throughout the game while normally being forced out by Garchomp and Weavile. AV Slowing can be set up on by Clefable and especially if para'd, but that's risky game to play as the 16 soft boiled PP can go up in smokes quickly.

* Kartana and Rillaboom are normally annoyed heavily by Tornadus and Ferrothorn, but choice band Kartana can be incredibly annoying as smart strike can ohko Clefable from full, keeping a steel and grass resist around is vital to a win against banded Kartana.

* Many wall breakers can be played around like Rapid-Strike Urshifu, Melmetal, and Zapdos G trough pivoting and applying offensive pressure with potential super effective moves.

1) Collect information about the opponent through hazards, team composition, and using optimal scout leads to make the process easier is vital. This lets you know what and how you'll win late game. Scout lead options can be any of the 6 pokemon depending on the team, so there is no true lead pokemon. If you're newer to playing, normally Tornadus Therian is a solid "scout lead" to go with when you're stuck on what pokemon to pick.

2) Be aggressive to maintain momentum, this team is excellent at keeping the opponent on the backfoot at all times even when playing defensively because of the hazard stacking.

3) Clefable is the main star of the team and will be the main reason for a win more often than not, but don't overly rely on trying to win with Clefable as the team can win in many other ways.

4) Keep in mind that moves will miss on any of the pokemon, so evening the RNG out with para spam and getting advantageous positions to where a move missing doesn't decide the game will help out a lot in getting consistent wins.

I hid most of my games with this team since 1) I was in OST, so I didn't want to reveal my hand 2) I wasn't planning on a RMT, hence why I used my alternate account instead of the "Zaza Bitchulia" account I'm mostly known for using. Because of this, the replays that aren't hidden are limited in amount. I'll add to the replay list of quality battles that are hidden, but the proof of peak battle was approved by my opponent to be shown, so that's why that's there.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517525744

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517522245

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517506974

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1514015798

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517490014-a4ollhb17fdgxx283ta2ucktqfhsshjpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517484274-782tlpud6e2feam4bwuic6dan0qi2aipw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517528516-hhhaef22eox1dxjavoxup8oetmhm2fzpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1506746743-qzmoo2977u0a4u5ebtytdek2el5an6bpw

Last edited:
Congrats Zaza on your peak!! I absolutely hate versing Clefable on opposing teams lmao, and especially if they're Calm Mind variants. I'm a big fan of this team and I got a 7 win streak with it before losing to a Calm Mind Tapu-Fini lol. I love Poison Jab on Weavile, being able to hit a lot of things. Great job :)

I've been enjoying your team a lot. I've been having a lot of trouble with Blissey though. I've been trying to answer it with the Tornadus taunt but they end up switching her out and then back in. What's your approach?

I've been enjoying your team a lot. I've been having a lot of trouble with Blissey though. I've been trying to answer it with the Tornadus taunt but they end up switching her out and then back in. What's your approach?
Garchomp: SD can deal with non-toxic blissey quite easily since it can set up rocks, deal damage with rough skin, and capable of wall breaking through it with boosted attacks.

Ferrothorn: Does incredibly well thanks to toxic immunity, leech seed, knock off the boots, body press for massive damage, and spike stack to punish switch-ins.

Rotom Wash: Pain split deals a ton of damage at low health, forcing a soft boiled, and volt switch gets instant momentum, immune to thunder wave variants. It can also use thunder wave itself to annoy Blissey at lower health to fish for paras.

Tornadus T: Taunt+Regen is a great combination against Blissey, u-turn can bring in any of the other 5 pokemon to go to work against Blissey.

Weavile: Does massive damage with knock off and icicle crash flinches can work too.

Clefable: Sets up on any Blissey that isn't thunder wave, confide (extremely rare), or calm mind (pretty much a meme).

* T-wave variants get dominated by Rotom W and set up on by Garchomp

* Toxic variants allow Clefable to calm mind spam and Ferrothorn to fear not even a thunder wave

* If Weavile or Ferrothorn get a knock off on Blissey, then hazard stack becomes a issue for Blissey itself (won't happen often though)

* Hazard stacking to force situations where Blissey's teammates are punished trying to switch in makes it easier to break down Blissey itself since it'll be constantly pressured/forced in.

* Tornadus T forces Blissey into a tough position with taunt and the ability to pivot into a pokemon that threatens Blissey.

Blissey can be annoying at times, but once you know the set, there are many ways to deal with it throughout the entire team, hope this helps and glad you're enjoying the team!

Last edited:
i loveee this team so far almost 1400 T_T. do you have other clefable teams? or how to make more variations of this one?

Welcome to the RMT of the #1 peaking CM Clefable team! Hope you enjoy the read and the team itself.

Proof of Peak

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517561026-t5jxjqbpg36cjrv1ks0fq5plzik8o7jpw

Screenshot (on a phone) of #1 ladder ranking with my alternate account, Stealthy Koala

View attachment 421396

Clefable

View attachment 409055

Moves

* Moonblast: Easy to click move that is a fantastic STAB as nothing is immune to moonblast in any capacity.

* Thunder: Gives Clefale a real option to hit Toxapex, para common defensive checks like Melmetal, Heatran, and unaware Clefable.

* Calm Mind: Lets it boost up its special defense bulk to take special hits better and boost its attack power to break down otherwise walls, Blissey without thunder wave is a prime example.

Spread

* 252 HP, 196 Defense, 60 Speed, Bold Nature: Clefable acts as a defensive pivot a lot against many physical attackers and wants as much bulk to spam calm mind and sweep, so max HP and nearly fully invested defense maximizes Clefables opportunity to do just that. The speed is there to get the jump on no investment base 70's .

Item

* Life Orb: Gives Clefable a much appreciated power boost and lets it be able heavily pressure stall teams that would otherwise give this set a lot of trouble.

Ability

* Magic Guard: Makes Clefable completely immune to hazards, passive damage, and doesn't take recoil damage from life orb when attacking.

Garchomp

View attachment 409054

Moves

* Earthquake: Powerful STAB that gives Garchomp the ability to ohko many threats like Heatran, Bisharp, Victini, Tapu Koko, Blacephalon, and Excadrill while also being able to 2hko Toxapex, Tyranitar, and Volcarona.

* Scale Shot: The speed boost is important to allowing Garchomp to be a late game option against fast offensive teams. The ability to break multiscale on Dragonite and get through subsitute users is also invaluable in a pinch. For those wondering what this move can do against Corviknight, it pressures it enough when boosted to force either a roost or leave Corviknight heavily chipped from rough skin and the attack damage. Scale shot can also act as a form of a last resort of speed control.

* Stealth Rock: Most powerful move in the game as it chips down the opponent reveals items and abilities on a pokemon as well.

* Swords Dance: Applies pressure against defog users and provides a opportunity to wall break as well.

Spread

* 252 Attack, 252 Speed, Jolly Nature: Max attacking power is needed to get the most offensive pressure possible out of Garchomp with a swords dance rocks set. The max speed investment gives Garchomp the jump on many base 100's.

Item

* Leftovers: This item allows Garchomp to essentially take no damage from stealth rocks and last a long time in a battle.

Ability

* Rough Skin: Chips the opponent on physical contact moves, this allows Garchomp to pressure Corviknight and other pokemon who try to pivot in and click u-turn on it. This also allows Garchomp to be a threat even on a switch.

Ferrothorn

View attachment 409050
Moves

* Spikes: Targets grounded pokemon to put in range of many different attacks and maintain constant pressure against the opponent.

* Leech Seed: Helps with recovery of not only itself, but a incoming teammate switching in and maintaining pressure.

* Knock Off: Removes leftovers and heavy duty boots from pokemon like Landorus T, Ferrothorn, Tornadus Therian, Zapdos, and Corviknight. This helps break down the opponent through stealth rocks and spikes far easier.

* Body Press: Bisharp, opposing Ferrothorn, Weavile, Heatran on switch after knock off, and Tyranitar are all common targets of this move.

Spread

* 248 HP, 252 Defense, 8 Special Defense, Impish Nature: Since Ferrothorn is the Weavile and Bisharp answer, having the maximum bulk possible defensively on the physical side is needed to last in battle.

Item

* Leftovers

Ability

* Iron Barbs: Ferrothorn can rack up signficant chip damage on u-turn, knock off, and other attacks that make contact with it to wear down the opponent in conjunction with hazards and knock off.

Tornadus-Therian

View attachment 409053
Moves

* Hurricane: While being a low accuracy move, this does give Tornadus the power to threaten pokemon like Landorus, Rillaboom, Kartana, and Urshifu without the drawback of low power output.

* Defog: Removes hazards from the field, lets the team control the hazard war and giving Weavile more opportunities to attack.

* Taunt: Blocks off hazard stacking, status moves, set up sweeping, teleport, and defog to apply more pressure against a passive opponent.

* U-Turn: A pivot move that gives momentum with optimal match-ups, synergizes well with regenerator.

Spread

* 248 HP, 252 Speed, 8 Special Defense, Timid Nature: Max speed with a timid natrue is choosen to get the jump on other Tornadus T and adamant Weavile. 248 hp makes Tornadus as bulky as it can be in the scouting role with max speed.

Item

* Heavy Duty Boots: Gives full immunity to Tornadus from stealth rocks, this allows it to last in battle a lot longer than it otherwise would.

Ability

* Regenerator: Heals off 1/3 of Tornadus T's HP every time it switches out, gives it great longevity and pairs well on a team who likes to switch around a lot.

Rotom-Wash

View attachment 409051
Moves

* Hydro Pump: Main STAB move that lets it threaten Heatran and water weak grounds like Landorus consistently. This allows for volt switch to be easily used throughout a match.

* Volt Switch: The STAB pivot move that hits water and flying types for super effective damage, maintaining momentum with ease.

* Pain Split: Chips away at the opponent while healing Rotom W, pairs well with hazard stacking and gives momentum to the team while still being able to play defensively.

* Thunder Wave: Another form of speed control, RNG control, and lets it cripple other sweeping attempts that could otherwise overwhelm the team.

Spread

* 248 HP, 172 Special Defense, 88 Speed, Calm Nature: Maximum HP and heavily invested special defense gives Rotom W the ability to reliablely switch into Zapdos, Heatran, and be able to get thunder wave off on special threats like Dragapult and Tapu Lele far easier. 88 Speed investment is to outpace jolly Crawdaunt, Modest Magnezone, Adamant Tyranitar, Blacephelon after using trick choice scarf, and no investment Landorus T.

Item

* Leftovers: Passive recovery to last in battle and avoid getting overwhelmed by stealth rocks is massively important to Rotom W in many matches, synergizes well with pain split.

Weavile

View attachment 409052
Moves

* Knock Off: Easy to click move that hits every pokemon while removing items like leftovers and heavy duty boots that makes the hazad stacking more effective.

* Icicle Crash: I don't like missing and pairs well with the para spam, so Triple Axel is not used for this slot because of that.

* Ice Shard: Powerful priority that makes the match-up against offense a lot easier, mainly against dragon and flying type pokemon like Garchomp, Dragonite, and agility Moltres-G.

* Poison Jab: Niche choice, but it massively improves the calm mind Tapu Fini match-up that would otherwise be incredibly annoying to deal with. This slot is quite customizable, so this is essentially a free slot to do whatever you want.

Spread

* 252 Attack, 252 Speed, Jolly Nature: As much power and speed as possible is needed on choice band Weavile. Jolly nature is choosen because of the jump on Tornadus T and Adamant Weavile.

Item

* Choice Band: For the maximum raw damage and lets it be more immediately threatening, something this team does lack outside of Weavile early game. Also makes Ice Shard a lot stronger, a massive boost against fast offensive teams.

Ability

* Pressure: This allows Weavile to scout out if it's faster than another pokemon that has an ability that activates as it switches in. For example, if Excadrill's mold breaker activated before Weavile's pressure, Weavile is slower.

When analyzing the meta, I noticed that Clefable with calm mind and thunder was difficult for many teams to handle since it isn't affected by hazard stacking, toxic from common defensive pokemon, and pure fairy typing was great as usual defensivey. This gives Clefable many opportunities to set up and sweep or put on offensive pressure early game. The next part of the team will be the main support pokemon for Clefable to shine bright, the traits I were looking for was the following:

* Not stealth rock weak

The choices for the spiker was between Ferrothorn and nothing else as I didn't see Skamory as aggressive enough to maintain momentum and pressure against defog users. For what paired well with Ferrothorn as a rocker, the pokemon I was by far most intrigued with was Garchomp since it paired incredibly well next to Ferrothorn and Clefable with its dragon/ground typing. The duo of Ferrothorn and Garchomp lure in many of eachothers checks and chip them down through hazards, leech seed, rough skin/iron barbs, and attacking moves. They also are both resistant to stealth rocks, so they can switch around quite easily throughout a long game and constantly annoy the opponent with leftovers recovery. For the next part of the team, the goal was to do the following:

* Be able to handle common moves like Shadow Ball and Earthquake while giving the team more flexability defensively so not only one pokemon is responsible for everything defensively.

* Allow the team to scout early game to make the hazard stacking chain easier to pull off.

* Have the ability to bluff many different sets, have the opponent guess to some level of what each set could be on the team while providing defog support.

To fill the role of scouting, momentum keeping, defensive utility, and providing set versatility, Tornadus Therian and Rotom W were selected. They give the team a voltturn option that's hard to stop. Tornadus T can use taunt to keep hazards up while having regenerator and heavy duty boots to stay healthy, it works in a hazard stack setting. Rotom W can use pain split with the hazards to severely chip the opponent down quickly and then use volt switch, one that isn't easily stopped by Lando T thanks to Hydro Miss, keep up the momentum. Both have the bulk and longevity to act as key early game scouting pokemon and annoy the opponent to no end throughout the entire game, slowly chipping them away for the inevitable Clefable sweep. Because of these traits, they synergize extremely well with the Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp trio. For the last slot, it was to fill in the speed control, shadow ball resist, priority, and second knock off user needs, Weavile was the best choice since it was the only option and is one of the best pokemon in the tier period.

* Opposing bulky hazard stacking teams will normally not be able to overwhelm since the team does so well against hazard stacking itself. However, there are some match-ups, Tapu Koko for example, where having all the hazards up without a boosted Clefable is asking for trouble, but always a winnable match-up.

* Non-weather hyper offense teams normally aren't able to auto-win since most set-up sweeper threats are well covered and para spam (thunder on Clef and thunder wave on Rotom W) cripples many sweeping attempts. Volcarona is by far the most lethal sweeper on these teams, Garchomp and Rotom W will normally be needed to beat any Volcarona variant. Safeguard Volcarona isn't the biggest threat since Garchomp handles its weak fire moves, but a burn from flamethrower can outright end the match.

* Rain offense, mainly volt switch Zapdos and specs Volcanion, are massive threats when hazards aren't set up. It's tricky, but finding a way to get stealth rocks up is vital for victory and keeping the opponent on their backfoot early with Rotom W.

* Ghost spam is not normally something that will overwhelm this team since Tornadus is consistent at scouting sets early on. Thunder Dragapult can be annoying, but it's also incredibly rare. A well played Specs Blacephalon is one of the hardest pokemon to face since it forces many extremely risky 50/50's. Scarf can also be annoying because of trick, but these variants are far less threatening because the damage output is not enough to where switching around isn't a option.

* Stall teams don't have a fun time against a single pokemon on the team, always a winnable match-up. Some Shedinja stalls are incredibly difficult to break if they opt for heavy duty boots instead of safety goggles or focus sash, but still possible if Shedinja's support is removed. Keeping Clefable and to some extent Garchomp away from knock off is extremely important to win.

* Tapu Lele can be annoying, but Tornadus can scout the set out well as it outspeeds specs, takes every hit from scarf that isn't the super rare modest thunder. Specs sets are easy to revenge kill while scarf doesn't do enough damage to make consistent pivots not a option.

* Other calm mind users can be a threat, but thunder wave and pain split rotom W, taunt tornadus, your own calm mind Clefable, and banded Weavile tends to be enough. Calm mind Hatterene, while super rare, is capable of going solo against the entire team if it sets up freely.

* Galarian Slowking is annoying due to powerful attacks like future sight, sludge bomb, and annoying coverage moves. It can be outplayed and heavily chipped by Ferrothorn, Rotom Wash, and Tornadus throughout the game while normally being forced out by Garchomp and Weavile. AV Slowing can be set up on by Clefable and especially if para'd, but that's risky game to play as the 16 soft boiled PP can go up in smokes quickly.

* Kartana and Rillaboom are normally annoyed heavily by Tornadus and Ferrothorn, but choice band Kartana can be incredibly annoying as smart strike can ohko Clefable from full, keeping a steel and grass resist around is vital to a win against banded Kartana.

* Many wall breakers can be played around like Rapid-Strike Urshifu, Melmetal, and Zapdos G trough pivoting and applying offensive pressure with potential super effective moves.

1) Collect information about the opponent through hazards, team composition, and using optimal scout leads to make the process easier is vital. This lets you know what and how you'll win late game. Scout lead options can be any of the 6 pokemon depending on the team, so there is no true lead pokemon. If you're newer to playing, normally Tornadus Therian is a solid "scout lead" to go with when you're stuck on what pokemon to pick.

2) Be aggressive to maintain momentum, this team is excellent at keeping the opponent on the backfoot at all times even when playing defensively because of the hazard stacking.

3) Clefable is the main star of the team and will be the main reason for a win more often than not, but don't overly rely on trying to win with Clefable as the team can win in many other ways.

4) Keep in mind that moves will miss on any of the pokemon, so evening the RNG out with para spam and getting advantageous positions to where a move missing doesn't decide the game will help out a lot in getting consistent wins.

I hid most of my games with this team since 1) I was in OST, so I didn't want to reveal my hand 2) I wasn't planning on a RMT, hence why I used my alternate account instead of the "Zaza Bitchulia" account I'm mostly known for using. Because of this, the replays that aren't hidden are limited in amount. I'll add to the replay list of quality battles that are hidden, but the proof of peak battle was approved by my opponent to be shown, so that's why that's there.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517490014-a4ollhb17fdgxx283ta2ucktqfhsshjpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517484274-782tlpud6e2feam4bwuic6dan0qi2aipw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1517528516-hhhaef22eox1dxjavoxup8oetmhm2fzpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1506746743-qzmoo2977u0a4u5ebtytdek2el5an6bpw

wow this team looks amazing

i loveee this team so far almost 1400 T_T. do you have other clefable teams? or how to make more variations of this one?
Glad you love the team!

Sadly, I don't have another Clefable team on hand, however, I do have a variation I would reccomend when using this team:

* Power Whip>Body Press and make the Ferrothorn 248 hp, 120 defense (lives non-life orb low kick from Weavile from full health), anywhere from 8 to 32 speed (outspeed common opposing Ferrothorn while being slower than Alolan Marowak under trick room) and the rest in special defense, the nature is impish (+defense, - special attack). This allows the team to better handle Tapu Koko, cm non-flamethrower Clefable and cm Tapu Fini. One can also opt for Iron Head if you really want to bother calm mind Clefable, but power whip's general damage output is more useful more often than not.

* Low Kick>Poison Jab on Weavile, this improves opposing Weavile and Bisharp match-ups. Given Ferrothorn has swapped the ability to handle Weavile and Bisharp easily for Tapu Koko, a pokemon that gave the intial team great trouble, low kick helps balance out the match-ups.

* Nasty Plot>Thunder Wave on Rotom Wash and make the ev spread 248 hp, 16 defense (choice band Ttar's stone edge from full won't kill), 32 special attack, 132 speed (outspeeds pokemon at 240 speed like special defense landorus T and speed creeping the rare jolly Aegislash), rest into special defense, modest nature. This lets Rotom W to put on much more offensive pressure on the opponent while keeping the defensive integrity of the team too.

These changes I use for a more up-to-date version of the CM Clefable team, good luck in your laddering to 1400!

Last edited:

Proof of Peak

View attachment 421396

Clefable

View attachment 409055

Moves

Spread

Item

Ability

Garchomp

View attachment 409054

Moves

Spread

Item

Ability

Ferrothorn

View attachment 409050
Moves

Spread

Item

* Leftovers

Ability

Tornadus-Therian

View attachment 409053
Moves

Spread

Item

Ability

Rotom-Wash

View attachment 409051
Moves

Spread

Item

Weavile

View attachment 409052
Moves

Spread

Item

Ability

* Not stealth rock weak

Fantastic team,been loving using it and sweeping with cm clef ,did rlly well for me from about 1700-1850 but then started losing a bit ,maybe just need to practice a bit more with it to get comfortable,also i changed the rowash from twave to wisp just a personal pref since i find myself clicking wisp like way more than clicking twave ,also congrats on peak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)