Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

Hello, it is high time to say something delicate that rips my heart out. I'm going to give you some good news and some bad news. I'm going to start with the worst and end with the best. I was never really able to contribute to the community, which I always wanted to do for a while, like being a voice or more, but I was immediately stopped because of my poor basic English, but which improved over time, and I am satisfied today because it is not easy for everyone to be bilingual. I grew up with the development of the community and I am proud of all the developments in the community because it remains for me one of the best that I have contributed to a virtual game. Things have been stable for ages and I fear that there is no effective remedy to avoid complete stabilization. I also noticed for a while that I no longer feel the same satisfaction of a 1v1 player and that I agree with the fact that bad luck has caused me an inevitable fear in all games by being unhappy and unlucky at the same time. Indeed, Pokemon Showdown adopts a virus or even a degenerative disease that never stops progressing with time, the pure misfortune. It is difficult to admit that we lost when we should have won, it is not even the lessons I learn from them but the disgust and I cannot blame my opponent because he has nothing to do with it, it is the game itself that has become a real scourge to fight. Without risk, there is no such thing as a deserved victory, but to be condemned to defeat with the greatest contempt for cases is to be speechless. The main reason for my departure is due to bad luck, it has become impossible for me to continue playing under these circumstances. No matter how many tournaments I sign up for to learn more about the strategy, but this misfortune, which has become inevitable in all the battles I have had, has made it difficult for me to heal from this injury.

But in all this, I still managed to get out of the positive. I was able to show you my skills and my knowledge of the metagame and I remain proud but with the idea of "hax" if I can say so, which persists without being able to prevent him from continuing his tour to hit all the players victims of a merciless fight that goes beyond the simple fight. I have remained attached to this community for 4 years now, that I still feel a lot of affection until today and that it has been very difficult for me to say goodbye, I hope to come back stronger in the next generation that comes very soon with a new strategy within my reach and that is still one of the greatest challenges I will perhaps launch to succeed in the best possible conditions. Despite everything that has happened in the last few major tournaments, I love you the way you are, some will no longer be able to participate in the tournaments in the coming months that this community offers and others will emerge better and more successful. I really hope that this community will be promoted because it deserves, all the managers present and all equipped with meticulous work to undertake each decision. However, I have met virtual friends, I hope that one day we will not communicate through a screen but in real life. I plan to vote on Dragonite but after that, 1v1 will stay behind me. When I played, my first fight 4 years ago, I knew right away that the 1v1 will be my favorite choice in which I will be able to invest myself as much as possible and bring a minimum of experience in the game. It is thanks to you that I have improved and I will remain on this wavelength while keeping the ambition to satisfy myself and achieve my objectives. Thank you again for all the moments of joy and sadness shared with you <3.

#1v14life

Hey, guys. What’s up?

I wanted to say a few things as we close out the generation. Lemme start with the stats I worked out on tournaments a different (unbiased) way of thinking of it: Tournament score weighting.

So, I essentially weighted the most significant tournaments of the generation, which I believe to be PL (1.75 points) World Cup (1.75 as well) Ladder Tour (1.5, I probably messed up on weighting this tbh), and the Spring and Summer Seasonals’ top 16. I compiled some stats, along with curving stats to the best performers in WCup and PL as opposed to Score / Possibly highest score attainable. Here is the python script I used, it’s probably bad due to my lack of knowledge in the language, but If you want to improve it, go ahead. I don’t think I did LT right, tbh:

Code:
playername = input("Enter name:")

print(playername)

plwins = float(input("Enter the Amount of PL Wins they have"))

plstat = ((plwins/6) * 1.75)

print(plstat)

wcupwins = float(input("Enter the Amount of WCUP Wins they have"))

wcupstat = ((wcupwins/5) * 1.75)

print(wcupstat)

lt = input("Did you participate in LT Playooffs? Yes or no")

ltwins = float(input("Enter the ladder placement they got: I.E. dom got #1 in Ladder Tour 3"))

ltwbrack = float(input("Enter winners bracket wins"))

ltlbrack = float(input("Enter the Amount of Wins in lt they have in the Losers bracket"))

ltscore = ((((16/ltwins)/16) *.5) + (((ltwbrack * 1) + (ltlbrack * .75))/5))

if lt == "no":

ltscore = 0

print(ltscore)

ssnl1 = input("Did you get top 16 in Spring SSNL? Say no if no.")

ssnl1w = float(input("If top 16 in Spring ssnl, post the amount of wins in the winners bracket they had. Put in -.25 if they didnt participate"))

ssnl1l = float(input("If top 16 in Spring ssnl, post the amount of wins in the losers bracket they had."))

ssnl1score = (((((ssnl1w * 1) + (ssnl1l * .5))/ 4) * .5) + .25)

if ssnl1 == "no":

ssnl1score = 0

print(ssnl1score)

ssnl2 = input("Did you get top 16 in Summer SSNL? Say no if no.")

ssnl2w = float(input("If top 16 in Summer ssnl, post the amount of wins in the winners bracket they had. Put in -.25 if they didnt participate"))

ssnl2l = float(input("If top 16 in Summer ssnl, post the amount of wins in the losers bracket they had."))

ssnl2score = (((((ssnl2w * 1) + (ssnl2l * .5))/ 3) * .5) + .25)

if ssnl2 == "no":

ssnl2score = 0

print(ssnl2score)

total = (wcupstat + plstat + ltscore + ssnl1score + ssnl2score)

print(total)
You can use a compiler such as codeskulptor or something like that if you want.

Without further ado, here are the top 5 rankings:

#1 TheShadowClaw

PL Score:1.458333333333333
World Cup Score:1.75
Total = 3.208333333333333

#2 Squirtell 1v1

PL Score: 0.5833333333333333
World Cup Score: 0.7000000000000001
Ladder Tour Score: 0.9954545454545454
Summer SSNL Top 16 Score: 0.9166666666666666

Total: 3.195454545454545

#3 Close

PL Score: 1.75
World Cup Score: 0.35
Ladder Tour Score: 0.8333333333333334
Total: 2.933333333333334

#4 Jamez155

World Cup Score: 1.05
Ladder Tour Score: 0.8166666666666667
Total: 2.45

juan

#5 WailJesus

PL Score: 1.458333333333333
Ladder Tour Score: 0.55
Total: 2.358333333333333

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1v1 going on forward:

As we become a major UM and progress in the next generation, I hope we reflect on our mistakes, along with our strengths of this generation. Our suspect process has gone through various twists and turns, along with low points in 2018, but we’re improving. The direction this forum is going is amazing and I just hope that we can branch out to various forum projects such as articles, facebook spotlights, translations, and overall just doing more stuff. 1v1 as a concept has always been full of untapped variety, and hopefully, we can see that in the generations to come. The tournaments scene is going to continue growing as more and more people get interested in 1v1.

What are all your thoughts on 1v1? I made a Google form (will add in a few) if you don't mind sharing. Try it out!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Even though I’ve been playing since Gen 6, I feel like this generation was my true introduction to 1v1 as a whole. I’d like to shoutout a few people as I close this post:

UnleashOurPassion: I always forget if it was you or Quantum Tesseract who introduced me to smogon and the 1v1 room. Likely you. Nevertheless, thank you for everything you’ve helped me with and for everything you’ve done for the 1v1 community. You are, by far, the best person I’ve met on this forum, I hope you go on to do things in your life, whenever you depart from smogon.

Quantum Tesseract: You also played a significant role in introducing me to 1v1. Thanks for that. You might not be on as much, but just know that I’ll always appreciate you.

ayedan: Dude, come back! You’ve also been a great person who introduced me to the generation back in 2018. Thanks for that.

Osra Thank you for being you. That’s all.

Alakazam (give me my kids back then we will talk), Elo Bandit, Deg, Partman (uwu), UselessCrab, AltcauseIminsecure, Chloe, Quote, Martha, Rumplestiltskin, Knuckstrike, Baleblaze, Ransei, anty, ChickenPie2, Iron Crusher, VG Jungle, Pigeons people I’m forgettin, and macemaster

Kaif, SolarFlareRo, pqs, ryyjyywyy, that Raimon alt I’m forgetting, Dire Strait, xstatic cold, LancerFr, The Immortal, Araii, Finchinator, dragonmirror, Maki, Attidude, Eriey, Kaif, dom, joker, spore, lostheros, boat, dom, Synonimous, yeche, Poison Adhesive, WailJesus, and a few others

Special thanks to Elo Bandit (Love your Vids), The Dark Alakazam, UnleashOurPassion, and DEG For encouraging me to play this metagame, helping me with team building, and making me love it. :)
if you dont get the reference here

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, it is high time to say something delicate that rips my heart out. I'm going to give you some good news and some bad news. I'm going to start with the worst and end with the best. I was never really able to contribute to the community, which I always wanted to do for a while, like being a voice or more, but I was immediately stopped because of my poor basic English, but which improved over time, and I am satisfied today because it is not easy for everyone to be bilingual. I grew up with the development of the community and I am proud of all the developments in the community because it remains for me one of the best that I have contributed to a virtual game. Things have been stable for ages and I fear that there is no effective remedy to avoid complete stabilization. I also noticed for a while that I no longer feel the same satisfaction of a 1v1 player and that I agree with the fact that bad luck has caused me an inevitable fear in all games by being unhappy and unlucky at the same time. Indeed, Pokemon Showdown adopts a virus or even a degenerative disease that never stops progressing with time, the pure misfortune. It is difficult to admit that we lost when we should have won, it is not even the lessons I learn from them but the disgust and I cannot blame my opponent because he has nothing to do with it, it is the game itself that has become a real scourge to fight. Without risk, there is no such thing as a deserved victory, but to be condemned to defeat with the greatest contempt for cases is to be speechless. The main reason for my departure is due to bad luck, it has become impossible for me to continue playing under these circumstances. No matter how many tournaments I sign up for to learn more about the strategy, but this misfortune, which has become inevitable in all the battles I have had, has made it difficult for me to heal from this injury.

But in all this, I still managed to get out of the positive. I was able to show you my skills and my knowledge of the metagame and I remain proud but with the idea of "hax" if I can say so, which persists without being able to prevent him from continuing his tour to hit all the players victims of a merciless fight that goes beyond the simple fight. I have remained attached to this community for 4 years now, that I still feel a lot of affection until today and that it has been very difficult for me to say goodbye, I hope to come back stronger in the next generation that comes very soon with a new strategy within my reach and that is still one of the greatest challenges I will perhaps launch to succeed in the best possible conditions. Despite everything that has happened in the last few major tournaments, I love you the way you are, some will no longer be able to participate in the tournaments in the coming months that this community offers and others will emerge better and more successful. I really hope that this community will be promoted because it deserves, all the managers present and all equipped with meticulous work to undertake each decision. However, I have met virtual friends, I hope that one day we will not communicate through a screen but in real life. I plan to vote on Dragonite but after that, 1v1 will stay behind me. When I played, my first fight 4 years ago, I knew right away that the 1v1 will be my favorite choice in which I will be able to invest myself as much as possible and bring a minimum of experience in the game. It is thanks to you that I have improved and I will remain on this wavelength while keeping the ambition to satisfy myself and achieve my objectives. Thank you again for all the moments of joy and sadness shared with you <3.

#1v14life
same tbh

dom

Banned deucer.
Pokesartoolcay very cool, i like seeing statistics in things like this. im kind of a nerd for really niche 1v1 stuff :p

metagame thought after getting reqs: mega zard y is actually really slept on right now. maybe this is a mon that just does better on ladder than anywhere else, but this thing legitimately popped up to me as a surprisingly great mon.

when you're playing against a lot of teams, charizard's mixup potential is insane. a lot of teams don't run heatran or edge gyarados or whatever, and a considerable amount of teams just end up trying to outplay charizard by guessing the form and committing and following thru. but i guess what i've been trying to say this whole time is that zard y is really cool at surprising stuff like zeraora, tapu lele, gyarados, pz, slowbro, lando-t, clefable, venusaur, etc. not the most splashable mon and zard x is so much better at a lot of things (beating random stuff like magnezone for example, using oras godsquad w zard y made me realize this) but zard y helps make charizard the superstar threat it is currently and has been for the past 5 years or so.

ladder was surprisingly chill. looking forward to swsh 1v1. just had a long thought to myself today and i hope to have a better attitude in the future. i know most won't believe this but w/e. i hope the council really handles the start of the gen right, and if they do i think no z/megas will be really fresh for 1v1. i've played it for the past 5 years pretty much, maybe longer, and the metas have kind of blent together in my mind and made it feel "same-y". i'm crossing my fingers swsh will be a positive experience for myself and the community.

edit: i also realized firium dnite is slept on and teams based around it are a very slept on style.

pqs

Banned deucer.
Since it's the end of the generation, I decided to make end-of-generation power rankings. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate as everybody's different opinions are the most important to themselves, but that the risk I'll take. Quote told me I could post this ty. #Quote: I guess so?
Thank you to some people in the 1v1 Discord as they helped me with ranking some of the newer people that I wasn't as familiar with, especially VG Jungle and James155.

End Of Generation 7 1v1 Power Rankings

Squirtell 1v1 | Ladder / Picking | Seasonal Winner / LT Winner / Official Winner / TTT II Winner / Ladder Expert

ggopw | Picking / Surprise | Seasonal Winner * 2 / World Cup Winner / Official * 3 Winner

Osra | Set Building / Picking | Seasonal Winner / PL Winner / Official * 2 Winner

Chickenpie2 | Set Building / Picking | Seasonal WInner / 1v1 LT Winner / PL Winner

TheShadowClaw | Picking | PL Winner / World Cup * 2 Winner

ryyjyywyy | Surprise / Picking | PL Winner / Official Winner

Lancer Fr / Lancer MK | Team Building / Picking | PL Winner / TTT II Winner / Ladder Expert

Iron Crusher | Set Building / Team Building | World Cup * 3 Winner / PL Winner

MaceMaster | Set Building / Team Building / Picking | 1v1 Sets Compendium

dusk raimon | Picking / Ladder | Ladder Expert / Highest Peak (for a while)

Freddy Kyogre | Picking / Ladder | PL Winner / Official Winner

Jamez155 | Picking / Ladder | Ladder Expert / Highest Peak

Alakazam | Picking / Team Building | Official Winner

AllFourtyOne | Picking / Surprise | Ghosting Tour Winner

didn’t know who to put

pqs | Picking / Surprise | TTT Winner
Got a little biased at the end <3. Thank you for everything this community has done and I hope we can do even better in Gen 8.​

Last edited:

ggopw

Banned deucer.
good attempts at making lists good enough to provoke my giant brain with an immense amount of data about this shit game and tier so let's go.

also its fun sorta otherwise i wouldnt do it

criteria: accomplishments, mental game, teambuilding, metagame knowledge

accomplishments are how well players have done in tours huge emphasis on officials and esp official individuals as that's the best of the best sort of to speak I also included in this metric ladder since 1v1 tours didn't start popping of straight from the start and ladder is a huge portion of this metagame even if I dislike it .

the mental game by this I mean how reliable is that person in big stake games, how prone are they to tilting etc etc .

teambuilding I value this a lot its basically at least 50% the name of the game and its not just making teams lol, it's prepping for tournaments, counterteaming using well diverse teams and having a plethora of teams to choose from.

metagame knowledge is self-explanatory its how well the player feels the meta their trends and what really works in it and what doesn't.

most of these are gonna be judged by both the height of their peek and its longevity.

also, spoiler alert I've decided not to include myself even tho people wanted me to do it, Just feels gay to do so I avoided it but here are my grades if u are interested
accomplishments 5

can't really argue with this but also I don't want to jerk my own dick off.

mental game 4.5

just by my experience I just had the highest amount of high stakes games and I did win the high majority of them only two series I lost that were high stakes iirc are vs baleblaze in pl and cp2 2nd series of lt.

teambuilding 5

people never mention this as my strength but all my games that I play in sm I exclusively use my own teams and well u can tell by the results is that they work and besides that in team tours I very often give my teams to players to use and they work out almost always last example was tsc going 5 0 in wcup with my teams.

metagame knowledge 4.5

again I've been around, voted for all the non-ancient suspects always kept up with the meta and was involved and throughout all my tour games I've been able to come up with cool innovative sets that were working at the time for e.g when spdef maw and meta exploded firium naga is what i used in ssnl finals and it worked.

Iron Crusher
1573445966676.png

accomplishments 5 / mental game 3 / teambuilding 3 / metagame knowledge 3.5

accomplishments: #1 HoF player for this gen even tho they were all team tours I think that should be enough for a 5.

mental game: Nothing special to note here I've never seen anything out of ordinary with him wouldn't hate to have him play a high stake game for you but wouldn't love it either.

teambuilding: Again he's teams aren't spectacular but they aren't bad either he to me does seem like he can struggle with making a lot of teams and that could make him prone to cteaming but nothing on a large scale.

metagame knowledge: Very solid in this criteria knows what's up sort to say. Using cool lures people wouldn't expect is a thing he used to do a good amount of and it worked most of the time.

Mace Master
1573445982756.png

accomplishments 2.5 / mental game 3.5 / teambuilding 4 / metagame knowledge 4.5

accomplishments: While not winning any official tournaments, they did have some good runs in the unofficial ones and there is that 1 seasonal winners finals but Mace did not make the spot because of the accomplishments as he rarely competes even tho he's been around.

mental game: Never noticed Mace being shook, prep has always been on point for them and just generally a person u wouldn't feel bad if u had to count on for an important win. Also has plenty of experience behind him.

teambuilding: Maces building capacity is huge, they are literally the creator of the 1v1 sets pokepaste , a huge resource to new and experienced players not to mention that was kept it updated over the years with the metagame trends and with new editions, anyhow yeah he doesn't have THAT many teams but all of the teams he makes have a good purpose at the time and all of them are at the very least solid but often much more than just that.

metagame knowledge: What can I say Mace has been around the block. One of the first additions to the council and was there for such a long time. From just talking to him I can attest that Mace has a high level of understanding of the meta and how things work, as I already said my man has been active for a long time.

Kentari
1573446008363.png

accomplishments 3 / mental game 3 / teambuilding 4.5 / metagame knowledge 4.5

accomplishments: Kentari was very consistent on the ladder from the time SM started to when he quit after PL 2.Other than that he did have a good PL run that ended with a tragic freeze in finals but I mean it this time not that many tours were popping up like they eventually did later on.

mental game: While kentari in his element had a very good mental game and was always prepared for anything he was very prone to being tilted and had moments of weaknesses.

teambuilding: His teams at certain metagame were dominant to put it shortly, he didn't build bad teams ever,however he didn't build that many either at the time he was playing cteaming wasn't nearly as popular as now so that worked perfectly for his playstyle I wonder if he still played would he get adapted to that or not.

metagame knowledge: Man at his peak knew every in and out of the meta he was laddering constantly innovating sets and found new things that worked at times he had the complete knowledge in every sense of that word now the only reason this isn't the maximum grade is because he quit mid gen basically and we can't know for sure would that trend continue.

XSTATIC COLD
1573446423182.png

accomplishments 4 / mental game 2.5 / teambuilding 4 / metagame knowledge 4.5

accomplishments: Alongside the most consistent ladderer of them all for such a long period of time he's got some decent accomplishments like lt appearance, decent ssnl runs, good unofficial placings, and 2 team tour wins with both PL and WCUP under his name.Very impressive indeed.

mental game: Even he admits at times this is what brings him down, very prone to being tilted by small things but when in the mode his picking is godly basically a more extreme version of kentari.

teambuilding: Insert classic xsc being cteamed meme here. I gave him a 4 because i truly mean that he improved and that cteaming him is not as easy as it seems and as it once was not because the number of teams he has but because of how proofed they are and that has been the trend with him ever since the sm started by. He is by far the best in that area I still remember trying to break his old pz team in mimikyu meta with bsu it took me longer than id like to admit just for that 1 team.

metagame knowledge: Always on top of stuff from his constant laddering (has the most sm ladder games played) and he really gets how the meta works even if he can't describe it with words.

raimon
1573446091413.png

accomplishments 3 / mental game 3 / teambuilding 5 / metagame knowledge 4.5

accomplishments: Had very good team tour runs even tho he didn't win anything and a good lt appearance but the highlight was def his insane ladder peak.

mental game: He doesn't get nervous but that's mainly because he doesn't prep at all most of the time so its a bit of a mix-up. He can be a real threat on his good mental game but also play like an average player on other less "lucky" days.

teambuilding: I might be a bit biased here since his teams and the way he used to build were one of my favorites. He can pump out high-quality teams ASAP almost like no one else. Has his own style but isn't susceptible to counterteaming at all

metagame knowledge: Similar to kentari had a really good grip on the meta during his heyday knew what shit did and what was good and most importantly had the broken radar always on and abused broken or almost broken stuff at the time. The very impressive talent that separated him from other players.

TheShadowClaw
1573446103636.png

accomplishments 5 / mental game 4.5 / teambuilding 3 / metagame knowledge 3

accomplishments: Really impressive showing in tours throughout the gen. Highlights include a good ompl run,2 world cup wins and a premier league win yeah yet another dutch with plenty of team tournament wins but no individuals to show off. That being said TSC differs from other team tour farmers with his insane records through them he's been on fire for the last 3 or 4 of them and only improved somehow. I think this 5 isn't even debatable.

mental game: Excellence again. If you need him to win a big game u shouldn't be worried. Even tho his composure isn't always the best at times he always gets the job done regardless especially versus weaker opponents.

teambuilding: This is where his skill drops off a bit. He isn't nearly as impressive as some of the players we had on this list in this regard,however hes far from bad either his teams are usually doing a good job and often have a good matchup. He struggles with time and building fastly is really not his thing and at dire situations, he will use whats his most comfortable with.

metagame knowledge: Once again nothing groundbreaking here he's much like others good above-average players in tune with the meta and usually knows whats up. That understanding doesn't go much deeper, however. Respectable but nothing to write home about.

osra
1573446118909.png

accomplishments 4 / mental game 4.5 / teambuilding 4 / metagame knowledge 4

accomplishments: Amongst a good ladder presence at periods of time, there is that good LT 1 run first SSNL win, good performances at both WCUP and PL with few other smaller tours here and there. She did not join every tour even tho the activity was there and especially lately moved on from playing them as a whole which potentially made this grade lower than it could have been.

mental game: Idk why maybe others don't think this would be the highest rated criteria for Glyx but I believe otherwise. I think that she has great composure, excellent prep game and a good amount of experience overall that makes winning big games look easy.

teambuilding: One of the nerds that find enjoyment in the creation of quirky sets in sm. Osras teams are very good but often with a twist. She does have some issues with prepping at times or her team choice just ends up being bad but overall that doesn't change the fact that shes a great builder and a very experienced cteamer. I feel that there is more potential in her prep game if she changes a couple of things mainly to do with her outlook but it's excellent even without that.

metagame knowledge: I'm honestly kinda bored the most by typing this for this criteria. It's hard to say something that I already haven't for other players like that she has been around since the start with insane activity all the way through. VR work council stuff etc.When ur that involved with Gen7 1v1 u can't have a lower grade than this.

Oh and also penalty pts for ghosting. :blobpex:

UBERLandon21 1573446135215.png

accomplishments 4 / mental game 4.5 / teambuilding 4 / metagame knowledge 4

accomplishments: Landon had a period of dominance where he was the best player to play much like how that was the case with the users above him ranking wise. Just to mention a few we have decent lt and ssnl runs, om 1v1 tours... and ofc his pl win with not so great of a record has always done much better in individual tours for some reason. Also just to add to that we have a great ladder presence during his peak and even after it.

mental game: He was one of the best users of mind games during the series and even on the ladder. He could get into how you pick and read you completely at times, also he's a v hard person to tilt even tho he got haxed a good portion of his time playing tournaments. He does struggle sometimes to win the real big games tho but with experience that also started happening less and less.

teambuilding: Great teams overall but something that makes his style different is that he during his time playing used a lot of anti-meta stuff and by that, I don't mean completely crazy pokemon no one uses or tries to use like cp2 I mean sets and less popular or used pokemon that are perfectly fitted for the current meta at the time. His teams also perfectly fit him and how he plays and I can fully relate to that.

metagame knowledge: Above average grasp of the meta compared to almost everyone else he has his own take on it definitely. When he was at his peak he knew every set and how popular was it. Also as I mentioned he knew how to use that knowledge when playing to a really impressive level.

Squirtell
1573446155080.png

accomplishments 4.5 / mental game 4.5 / teambuilding 4 / metagame knowledge 4.5

accomplishments: Two official individuals won 1 being LT, not the most stacked lt but still an lt.Recent dominance on the ladder, room tours and smaller stuff like that no remarkable official team tour presence at all and that's the only reason it's not a full 5. All of this has been done basically in 1 year so very impressive indeed.

mental game: Squirtell kept his calm during the makings of his achievements and I've never seen him panic really not even once. He has a great view on the game which is a big part of his success. He plays smartly and rarely misplays.

teambuilding: He makes solid metagame teams that simply just work, he is also great at fishing for the matchup and he can often even have that surprise element just to add to it.

metagame knowledge: With just one word , phenomenal. Squirtell from when he started popping off to now never stopped expanding his meta-knowledge and using it to his benefit. He has the best grasp id say on the meta atm just from the amount he plays and is involved in it. This is not a 5 only because the time frame he's been doing this is not that large compared to how long entire gen lasts for.

Chickenpie2
1573446176066.png

accomplishments 5 / mental game 4.5 / teambuilding 5 / metagame knowledge 4.5

accomplishments: Ill just list the most important ones I don't think that ill need to waste any more words on it.
most stacked lt: winner, seasonal: winner and a couple of high runs , pl: winner, constant team tour appearances with above-average results among other smaller achievements.

mental game: Cp2's mental game is very high he knows when he wants to win and he does what's in his best intention to achieve that. Prepping that surprisingly works insanely well without almost any cteaming at all , mind games, good both educated and gut reads. Literally, the only thing that I have noticed that can be a downside is his very occasional lack of motivation and sometimes his nerves when playing huge games.There is a reason no one got 5 in this criteria and that is the cliche but a true line: "We all are only humans".

teambuilding: Cp2 is like a creative teambuilding genius. He makes everything work in his own creative way and it doesn't just work it works well. I still have nightmares from getting 3 0ed by a fucking vikavolt. Idk what to add anymore just look at the amount of teams he has and how good and surprising some of them are without looking even close to something standard.

metagame knowledge: The reason that he can use such creative stuff is connected with his expansive metagame knowledge. Man has participated in sm for such a long time with a great effort almost always.He still after deciding to calm down plays ladder from time to time successfully may I add. He definitely notices close to all meta trends even tho sometimes he doesn't act upon them or get influenced as aggressively as other players from this list might.

Now with that out of the way, I just need to make one list that's without criteria in mind and definitely more personal and probably biased as well.

1. ggopw
  2. chickenpie2
  3. landon/squirtell/osra (ik I'm cheating but I can't decide they are all good in their own way deserving it the order that I have rn is prolly the one id pick if I had a gun to my head)
  4. ryy
  5. raimon
  6. toad
  7. tsc
  8. kentari
  9. blaze
  10. xsc
Honorable mentions that I haven't mentioned in either list (sort of ordered):

lancer,syno,dom,rav,uop,freddy,scraft,wail,solar,brothers,isaac,uc lol I'm sure i forgot people I'm tired.

Some cool things I've noticed when finishing these ranks are:

a)10th and 9th have the same score and so do 8th and 7th and so do 6th and 5th and 4th and 3rd have the exact same distribution as well.[in these cases I went with my gut mostly but also looked at how big the difference was in each category]
b) no one has 5 mental game
c) meta-knowledge is the highest rated criteria closely followed by teambuilding(haven't done the math hopefully I'm right)
d) IT TOOK WAY LONGER THAN I EXPECTED RANKING PLAYERS IS HARD YO...

sorry for bad writing I don't write and I'm a lazy cunt etc etc enjoy!
:smile:

Not gonna do rankings of best players 'cus they are all opinions and I can't count past 4...so instead I will be showing GIFs, which depicts some of the fun matches we had the past 3 years. Or something like that... (GIFs are in Boxes)

Kept this USUM 1v1, maybe great battles happened in other gens these past 3 years. From all of Classic & yes Dom, I didnt forget you & Ryy in PL II Finals <3

Overall a fun time, many faces came and went. Many with come and go in the future. Gross Sweep, Charizard8888, DEG, UselessCrab, also gratz to Kentari for getting married! ^^

this place became a meme
Hey, guys. What’s up?

I wanted to say a few things as we close out the generation. Lemme start with the stats I worked out on tournaments a different (unbiased) way of thinking of it: Tournament score weighting.

So, I essentially weighted the most significant tournaments of the generation, which I believe to be PL (1.75 points) World Cup (1.75 as well) Ladder Tour (1.5, I probably messed up on weighting this tbh), and the Spring and Summer Seasonals’ top 16. I compiled some stats, along with curving stats to the best performers in WCup and PL as opposed to Score / Possibly highest score attainable. Here is the python script I used, it’s probably bad due to my lack of knowledge in the language, but If you want to improve it, go ahead. I don’t think I did LT right, tbh:

Code:
playername = input("Enter name:")

print(playername)

plwins = float(input("Enter the Amount of PL Wins they have"))

plstat = ((plwins/6) * 1.75)

print(plstat)

wcupwins = float(input("Enter the Amount of WCUP Wins they have"))

wcupstat = ((wcupwins/5) * 1.75)

print(wcupstat)

lt = input("Did you participate in LT Playooffs? Yes or no")

ltwins = float(input("Enter the ladder placement they got: I.E. dom got #1 in Ladder Tour 3"))

ltwbrack = float(input("Enter winners bracket wins"))

ltlbrack = float(input("Enter the Amount of Wins in lt they have in the Losers bracket"))

ltscore = ((((16/ltwins)/16) *.5) + (((ltwbrack * 1) + (ltlbrack * .75))/5))

if lt == "no":

ltscore = 0

print(ltscore)

ssnl1 = input("Did you get top 16 in Spring SSNL? Say no if no.")

ssnl1w = float(input("If top 16 in Spring ssnl, post the amount of wins in the winners bracket they had. Put in -.25 if they didnt participate"))

ssnl1l = float(input("If top 16 in Spring ssnl, post the amount of wins in the losers bracket they had."))

ssnl1score = (((((ssnl1w * 1) + (ssnl1l * .5))/ 4) * .5) + .25)

if ssnl1 == "no":

ssnl1score = 0

print(ssnl1score)

ssnl2 = input("Did you get top 16 in Summer SSNL? Say no if no.")

ssnl2w = float(input("If top 16 in Summer ssnl, post the amount of wins in the winners bracket they had. Put in -.25 if they didnt participate"))

ssnl2l = float(input("If top 16 in Summer ssnl, post the amount of wins in the losers bracket they had."))

ssnl2score = (((((ssnl2w * 1) + (ssnl2l * .5))/ 3) * .5) + .25)

if ssnl2 == "no":

ssnl2score = 0

print(ssnl2score)

total = (wcupstat + plstat + ltscore + ssnl1score + ssnl2score)

print(total)
You can use a compiler such as codeskulptor or something like that if you want.

Without further ado, here are the top 5 rankings:

#1 TheShadowClaw

PL Score:1.458333333333333
World Cup Score:1.75
Total = 3.208333333333333

#2 Squirtell 1v1

World Cup Score: 0.7000000000000001
Ladder Tour Score: 0.9954545454545454
Summer SSNL Top 16 Score: 0.9166666666666666

Total: 3.195454545454545

#3 Close

PL Score: 1.75
Ladder Tour Score: 0.8333333333333334
Total: 2.933333333333334

#4 Jamez155

World Cup Score: 1.05
Ladder Tour Score: 0.8166666666666667
Total: 2.45

juan

#5 WailJesus

PL Score: 1.458333333333333
Ladder Tour Score: 0.55
Total: 2.358333333333333

1v1 going on forward:

As we become a major UM and progress in the next generation, I hope we reflect on our mistakes, along with our strengths of this generation. Our suspect process has gone through various twists and turns, along with low points in 2018, but we’re improving. The direction this forum is going is amazing and I just hope that we can branch out to various forum projects such as articles, facebook spotlights, translations, and overall just doing more stuff. 1v1 as a concept has always been full of untapped variety, and hopefully, we can see that in the generations to come. The tournaments scene is going to continue growing as more and more people get interested in 1v1.

What are all your thoughts on 1v1? I made a Google form (will add in a few) if you don't mind sharing. Try it out!

Even though I’ve been playing since Gen 6, I feel like this generation was my true introduction to 1v1 as a whole. I’d like to shoutout a few people as I close this post:

UnleashOurPassion: I always forget if it was you or Quantum Tesseract who introduced me to smogon and the 1v1 room. Likely you. Nevertheless, thank you for everything you’ve helped me with and for everything you’ve done for the 1v1 community. You are, by far, the best person I’ve met on this forum, I hope you go on to do things in your life, whenever you depart from smogon.

Quantum Tesseract: You also played a significant role in introducing me to 1v1. Thanks for that. You might not be on as much, but just know that I’ll always appreciate you.

ayedan: Dude, come back! You’ve also been a great person who introduced me to the generation back in 2018. Thanks for that.

Osra Thank you for being you. That’s all.

Alakazam (give me my kids back then we will talk), Elo Bandit, Deg, Partman (uwu), UselessCrab, AltcauseIminsecure, Chloe, Quote, Martha, Rumplestiltskin, Knuckstrike, Baleblaze, Ransei, anty, ChickenPie2, Iron Crusher, VG Jungle, Pigeons people I’m forgettin, and macemaster

Kaif, SolarFlareRo, pqs, ryyjyywyy, that Raimon alt I’m forgetting, Dire Strait, xstatic cold, LancerFr, The Immortal, Araii, Finchinator, dragonmirror, Maki, Attidude, Eriey, Kaif, dom, joker, spore, lostheros, boat, dom, Synonimous, yeche, Poison Adhesive, WailJesus, and a few others

Special thanks to Elo Bandit (Love your Vids), The Dark Alakazam, UnleashOurPassion, and DEG For encouraging me to play this metagame, helping me with team building, and making me love it. :)
if you dont get the reference here
omg pokkesart senpai put me in notable users (3rd spot) yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

This is my favorite battle format!! I have found Galarian Weezing to be fun to use, it is fun the mind games you can play because people will not know if he has Neutralizing Gas or Levitate until the match begins. I have had four forfeits today when the other player realized they could not hurt me with Earthquake.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is my favorite battle format!! I have found Galarian Weezing to be fun to use, it is fun the mind games you can play because people will not know if he has Neutralizing Gas or Levitate until the match begins. I have had four forfeits today when the other player realized they could not hurt me with Earthquake.
Heyo, Gunk Shot. I’m glad to hear you’re enthusiastic about our metagame, but I should let you know that this is the old gen 7 version of the 1v1 forums. The Gen 8/most current version can be found here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/1v1.536/

Probably where you’re going to find more success with talking

Sorry for posting in somewhat of a dead thread but this is not really meant for the Gen 8 forum. I forgot to do the survey results :bloblul:

Heres the results:

Question 1: What do you pick here?

1576978824357.png

1576978839576.png

Seems the choice here would be Dual Dance Magearna. Interesting.​

Question 2
1576978914975.png

3 & 4:
1576979177063.png

Seems more people like wcup more than PL. My Existence has to be the best meme tho
5:
1576979448644.png

At least you know I'm not rigging it

The interesting stuff:

1576979559929.png
Interesting responses:

1576979701479.png

1576979717919.png

1576979748835.png

1576979765378.png
:blobglare:

1576979883581.png
1576980041269.png

1576980051575.png

1576980059485.png

React to this post with wow if you feel bad for rosa

1576980218183.png
1576980242882.png

1576980324718.png

1576980471774.png

1576980483118.png

>Imagine me getting voice

Well, I'm out. As always, thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Last edited:

Cantius

I COULD BE BANNED!
Interesting how most people chose Magearna even at the peak of Dragonite at the end of the gen, which I also would have done in 2018 if I wasn't an idiot back then. I chose Mega Gyarados, with my thought process being: team looks like it is 3-0'd by Magearna & only possible Magearna lure is Dragonite -> opponent likely to see Magearna choice and choose lure -> send in Dragonite hard counter. Also strange that no one chose 1-6 months, goes to show the difference between the casual Pokemon Showdown userbase and the Smogon community. WC's popularity over PL most likely would have been different if this poll was conducted sometime after PL but before WC.

Reactions: pqs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)