Project 1v1 Secret Santa

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Sign-ups are now closed

You should be receiving your assigned cores later today as soon as I get some off time from the daily routine

Remember Teams are due January 3rd!

Regarding appropriate team submissions, I have provided two samples below. One of them is a 1v1 example I threw together just now and one is of an actual secret Santa post from PU. If you have any questions just let me know Via Discord, Smogon DM, or Pokemon Showdown!

Hey [insertuserhere], It's me your secret Santa and I've brought you some holiday cheer! You requested me to basically just give you the sample team that I basically publicly posted on the 1v1 samples thread. I don't know why you were too busy to just look for it yourself but I guess I'll come through for you.
See the source image
See the source image
See the source image

So this is probably one of the best teams I've created so far in my short stint of playing. It's gotten me to the mid-1600s and I see no sign of stopping. I standard as shit and the only mons it really struggles with is Counter T-wave Togekiss. Urshifu is extremely threatening from team preview and is able to 1v1 a ton of the meta. This is why it is Ranked S on the VR. Custap Primarina provides support for Urshifu and can 1v1 other suspected Custap Pokemon. Passho Victini is this team's answer to bulky waters and handles them really easily from my experience.

--------------------------------------------------

Post by Taskr

Hey Megazard, i'm ur Secret Santa! here's the team around Strength Sap Jumpluff you requested, its honestly pretty fun.

Had a couple of issues initially trying to find good partners to build a core for a starting point but I wanted to capitalize on its ability to beat Ferroseed 1v1 and then I realized Oricorio-Pom Pom is a cheerleader too so I had to go with that. Next, I wanted a real Fighting check since both Jumpluff and Pom Pom are kinda iffy and don't like Stone Edge/Ice Punch, etc so I went with Weezing as it does the job well and can also check Stone Edge Archeops which troubled the core. Also, the last move on Weezing was a bit of a toss-up between Fire Blast, TSpikes, and Tbolt but I opted to go with Fire Blast because I wasn't too keen on having Jumpluff as my only measure for Ferroseed but I guess it's down to preference. After that, I knew Jynx was a huge issue too so I went with Metang as the rocker because it offers a great Ice resist as well as being a decent Normal and Psychic check. Clefairy was added since it works great against Magmortar and other Fire Types as well as against Drampa which can absorb Jumpluff's Leech Seeds. Lastly, I was weak to things like Belly Drum Zangoose and Shell Smash Carracosta and I was also without a Z-Move so I thought Alolan Persian would be a great fit since Z-Parting Shot is great for healing up Weezing and Metang and it can check the two previously mentioned threats with Foul Play. Overall, the aim of the team is to Toxic everything and make Jumpluff super annoying to deal with, here is some replays were it kinda works:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-673047508
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-673048887
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-673053000

Hope you enjoy the team and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Each request for your person's Secret Santa 1v1 team should have been sent out to you by now!

As always, be sure to keep the rules of the project in mind:

-The request/finished team must be posted in this thread once completed and you must Tag the user who was assigned to you.

-Do NOT tell anybody what request you got. Please don't do this it's called Secret Santa for a reason.

-Now that it's past the deadline for signups, it's officially too late to make any changes to your request.

-Be sure to put as much effort into the request you got as you would hope for from whoever has your request!

-If you have any questions or want to be really awesome and cover up for any stupid slackers feel free to send a PM to 413X or BP!

The deadline for posting your teams is the 3rd of January!

Since neither of the hosts can masstag, I'm posting in their place:

Rellia

love this view
is a Tiering Contributor
hello everyone ExplodingDonkey was my secret santa, and he requested an obstagoon team! since donk is one of my favorite people, i wanted to be the first one to post :) i also got you a song since you are so great!!

:ss/obstagoon: :ss/nihilego: :ss/spectrier:
obsta's goons

building process: Obviously I started with Obstagoon, the set I made lives Adamant max attack Band Victini. Will-O-Wisp means nothing to Obstagoon because of Guts, and it is decently bulky on the special side, so special Vic should not be too troublesome. I believe the play vs Victini is to Obstruct turn 1, you get to scout the set and Flame Orb activates. Then you just click Knock Off and hope they aren't Encore/Colbur/Dazzling Gleam. (i didnt really come across any special victinis when testing the team so be warned) Obstagoon loses to a lot of stuff, so next I chose Nihilego to patch some of these weaknesses. Nihilego beats Rillaboom, Urshifu-Single, Fairy types in general, and it's also a nice secondary Victini check. I decided to go with Life Orb + Protect instead of Specs/AV to deal with Custap stuff. The set is pretty straightforward: Power Gem and Sludge Wave are quite strong coming from Nihilego's base 127 special attack, Dazzling Gleam is cool for Urshifu-Single, and Protect deals with Custap users. For the last mon, there was a pretty big threatlist to take care of, this consisted of Sawk, Garchomp, Zygarde, most Steel types like Registeel and Corviknight, as well as a few more mons that I don't rly want to list. I decided on Spectrier, as its Will-O-Wisp Disable set seemed pretty effective against these mons. I'm sure you know how to use the set donk, and please don't ask me what the EVs do :3

Building this team was quite difficult since I had to create my own Obstagoon set, I'm sure there's a better one out there somewhere (s/o Tom842)
There's also a 3-0 to the team which is pretty obvious so maybe dont bring this in tour hehe
Enjoy the team and Merry Christmas Donk!

SiceXV

Banned deucer.
Hey Here Comes Team Charm! , WLR came out tonight and it's a pretty mid-album as I only enjoyed about 1/3 of the album. This disappointment has ruined my Christmas to the point of no return so I stayed up and built this team in depression as the cash carti I once knew and loved turn into a femboy vampire. When making the team I decided to make the Stakataka offensive with air balloon as a nice bait to eq/ep users since it's so slow, but the item is pretty flexible if you want to spice it up. The last move slot is up in the air, but during my run I mostly used magnet rise or heat crash. I finished the rest of the team with mons that covers stakas big weaknesses. Prim is just so good at checking fighting/dragon types, as I opted with the speedy cm/encore with sitrus since I need a stall breaker and it gives you the option to outplay. I ended the team with thunder therian as it's a chad mon because of its high spa and covers most of the weaknesses of the rest of the team such as sawk, volcanion, rillaboom, etc. Protect is there to outplay annoying/skilless endure custap sets (for people who are lazy at eving) which most people didn't expect in my run. It has a few questionable mus against people with no brain but overall it's is a solid team (even beat you with it lol), hope you enjoy and happy holidays jit.

download-8.jpg

selling bricks (Stakataka) @ Air Balloon/AV
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Magnet Rise/Heat Crash

girl on molly (Primarina) @ Sitrus Berry/wacan
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 24 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Cannon
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Calm Mind

dirty sprite (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast/Nasty Plot

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250052317
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250053733
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250055881
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250055258-ehia4bz1ypmjpdtd5atqvsp225nip7vpw

Last edited:
My secret santa was the very cute Jirachirelia who requested the epic Meteor Beam Carracosta.
Merry Christmas (Carracosta) @ Power Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Meteor Beam
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet

almost Gogoat (Venusaur) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpA
Modest Nature
- Frenzy Plant
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain

Cutie (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 44 Atk / 136 Def / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Moonblast
- Trick

So I found out Meteor Beam into Jet is actually a really good tini counter, and then I gave the carracosta Shell Smash and the Spe for Latis and Archeops, and Ice Beam for Zyg and Chomper, I didn't see much use for Hydro Pump. Then I needed some grass type for Fini/Prim and something that beats Urshifu. Rillaboom is boring, but luckily I had just made a Venusaur set that does exactly that. Lastly I needed something for Psychics (and Genesect) (also sub Urshifu) so I just added Jirachi because it seemed very fitting (enjoy flinch haxing people). The very strange evs should beat any Urshifu except for strangely bulky AV, and Fire Punch makes sure you always beat Genesect and Ferrothorn. I could have also just used tini but I wanted the team to not die if it gets banned.

And with that, I wish you a merry Christmas <3

PA

Purgatory.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My secret santa was for the user Venom14916 who requested the ice break Pokemon :walrein: insert another walrein.

To this ends as this Pokemon is fairly limited by itself, I decided to go with the classic FWG Core.

Building Process: Walrein doesn't have a lot of cool techs to go for so there were 2 or 3 options. A) Go for a endure Custap set or B) Go for a basic Choice Specs set or C) Toxic Encore set for stall Pokemon. I decided to go for an Encore set but u can run the endure set if u find u don't want to be 3-0ed by Blaziken or Dracozolt which isn't that common anyway so shouldn't be a big issue :]. anyhow the spread that I've chosen to run outspeeds Custap Primarina so u can Encore them if they decide to Calm Mind and u beat them with Ice Beam + Toxic. It is also helpful against Nascar Chansey that choose to Toxic. Next, I added Assault Vest Tapu Bulu as a check to the various special attackers that threaten it such as Specs Porygon-Z, Specs Necrozma, and Sylveon, it also has a bonus of dealing with Zeraora and Custap Rhyperior. Finally, I had Incineroar as a secondary check to Victini and I added the Chople Berry to prevent Magnezone and Pheromosa for 3-0ing the team.

feel free to dm me if u wanna know what the spreads do happy holidays :]

waddup my man zxgzxg i was your santa. I in fact dont know shit about u but zarude is cool so points for that. after putting that AWESOME grass type in my first slot i was really fucking sure i wanted to make it FWG, guess what i did that. adding the mf heatran was chad because what doesn't die to scarf eruption. figured i really didn't want to face single strike ursh so i added rapis strike ursh. yeah im creative, though it does also beat most other endure mons out there.

zarude ev's is for base 101 speed, max attack rest hp.
heatran evs max speed, hp so u get 5 struggles if someone disables u but can't hit u, rest spa.
ursh max speed max attack. w/e

ZEZE (Zarude) @ Life Orb
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Substitute
- Throat Chop
- Bulk Up

XO tour Llif3 (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Eruption
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

goosebumps (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Reversal
- Endure
- Close Combat

nicknames are songs based on your name z x g

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250137829
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250138244
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250137637-ncxreh16xt490bnwj13h2l14l7ayyv1pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250138071-jiu1qfbcgd172vhu77m4geuvtwwts4dpw

have fun my g

I'll be honest here. Not sure if I'm being trolled and was given my own Pokémon for Secret Santa. I got a message from 413x saying here's your Secret Santa. Unlucky Ditto! And ya so I also asked for Ditto. So unless there's someone named unlucky that wanted Ditto this is weird but I suppose Merry Christmas "me?" or "Unlucky"? Still not very sure :/ Anyways... even if this wasn't for me I thought if I asked for Ditto which I did I'm not looking for a team that Meta and good. Because why would you want a Pokémon that can copy everyone's teams and other 2 good Pokémon. So I got "myself?" possibly? still not sure a nice fun meme team.

Ditto basically copies your opponent's team. They put in the effort so you don't have to. Ditto can run any item really best being Choice Items. You can also run Custap Berry if you'd like too. Worked for me in PL ;P

Eldegoss, a Pokémon not many people know about. This Pokémon has a unquiet agility. Cotton Down. Basically if a Pokémon attacks Eldegoss its speed is dropped, doesn't matter if its special, physical, or a contact move. So you are able to run Endure so you always will live a hit and they will slow down
Salac Berry
Eldegoss @ Salac Berry
Ability: Cotton Down
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Endure
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

Allows you to out speed really fast Pokémon without having to live a hit or double Endure

Tyrantrum is a Pokémon I've spent a few hours of my time with recently lol. So I might be a little bias. The set I gave is the Roseli Set. It's a set that is in the depths of the AV Set part. It does basically the same thing as AV besides more of the Special match-ups. It's ability to beat Prim & Sylveon is a nice luxury, as well as defeating Genesect
======================================

Again I'm not really sure if I just made this for myself but even if I didn't I hope this "Unlucky" person if that your name still not sure sorry :3 Enjoys these fun gimmicks. Am happy to make more of a serious team if they'd prefer or if it's not for myself. Whatever the case is, Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays! - Joker <3

Edit: I guess their name is Unluck-e lol well that's kind of funny, hope you enjoy ^^​

Last edited:

XanderUrBoi

Fruan's Alt Account
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi pqs, it is I, your secret Santa. I chose the only viable option for your Butterfree set, Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance. Because of Butterfree's decent SpDef allowing it to survive a surprising number of attacks that hit it neutrally, I found the best item for it to be a resistance berry, either Occa or Wacan, take your pick. Since Butterfree loses to a lot of things faster that it, I decided to pair it up with one of the fastest and strongest mons in 1v1: Scarf Naganadel. I have used Scarf Naganadel for a while now and it is extremely powerful, able to beat all the Tapus, Kartana, Darm-G, as well as nearly every dragon type without a Haban berry. For my last pick I needed an Urshifu counter, so I chose Togekiss. However, I decided that since this team has Butterfree on it, I couldn't take it too seriously so I used a Super Luck + Scope Lens Togekiss with Extreme Speed as well. I gave it a lot of SpDef investments, it can survive a hyper beam from a pz without specs.

Since this is a team centered around Butterfree, I was never trying to make it the best, I just wanted it to be fun to use. It defiantly isn't the most optimal team out there, but I hope you have fun with it :)

oooo go to sleep (Butterfree) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 212 SpA / 44 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Lucky! (Togekiss) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 106 HP / 252 SpA / 150 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Aura Sphere
- Extreme Speed

nyooooom (Naganadel) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
(Also this team loses hard to Victini, but I'm counting on him getting banned)

Ayo Boat, I had a surprising amount of fun building with Goodra and I think I made quite the good team
Here goes

:goodra: :heatran: :rillaboom:
https://pokepast.es/15c137ab3e89d60c

The Goodra set is pretty good and is so extremely fat specially, tanking the likes of Modest Specs Naganadel. The set is EV'd to beat basically all Primarina with Acid Spray into double Sludge Wave, and it also actually beats pretty much every Victini with Acid Spray -> Draco Meteor (you should still beat Light Screen by clicking Acid Spray more than once). I used to run Fire Blast for Gene but with the addition of Heatran I replaced it with Ice Beam for more reliable Zygarde/Moltres-G match-up. Heatran is a very good teammate as it covers annoying fairies like Sylveon and other steel types such as Jirachi and Genesect (even with Fire Blast, Occa/Band would still beat Goodra). It also provides an additional Victini check in case Goodra isn't good enough xd. Rillaboom came in clutch as third to beat Urshifu, DarmG, Fini, Aggron and other miscellaneous mons the duo struggled against (although you still have to guess Urshifu sets, if they're AV you need to click sd into sp otherwise LO/CB don't kill and just die to sp).
I would've formatted this better but I had to do it on mobile rip

Merry Christmas!

clerica

fly me up to Jupiter
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hiiii Gym Socks! I had the pleasure of building around Buzzwole for your secret santa! I tried to make something cool with it because I know you like using cool teams as well :3 This team got me to 1650s at 2am and I found it fun to use so I hope you enjoy it.

:ss/buzzwole: :ss/volcanion: :ss/tyranitar:
Buzzwole and its Bouncers

Building Process: First off I started with Buzzwole. I initially was going to use specs Buzzwole. I then discovered that it only learns 2 special moves :c. So next I decided to try a super bulky set up set that should wall any physical attackers. Keep in mind that the evs are pretty rough as my eving skill are pretty bad. I pretty much just crept base 60's and dumped max hp max defense. Next up I needed something to cover a lot of the special threats that beat Buzzwole. I tried Chansey to start with but the mons remaining after that were just too much to handle. I then tried Volcanion which did a much better job at doing what I needed it to do but still left me with an ugly list of Togekiss, Spectrier, Gmoltres, Bandorus, and Necrozma among others. This was quite a bit harder to beat, but I eventually decided on a cool scarf Tyranitar with ice beam for Bandorus. It's eved to outspeed jolly Darmg and the spack is to oko uninvested Landorus. Things this team struggles with include Sepctrier and an overall shaky although winning Darmg mu. If you wanted to make those more reliable you can run custap Volcanion with some non scarf Ttar but I preferred accepting the losses and using a more balanced overall team. Hope you enjoy and merry Christmas! <3

IBM

Banned deucer.
Hi I was Ryenix ‘s secret Santa, he asked for Kartana so I built a basic fwg grass core with
1608923442614.png
1608923461445.png
1608923482524.png

https://pokepast.es/370f8234374eca86

The Kartana is the sub Liechi set TheShadowClaw made, it tanks scarf rachi and haxorus, knock off messes with custap and scarf mons, does kartana things.
Prima is custap, does custap prima things, beats fire types, fighting types, and the ground types kart can’t and mons that are faster than kart like scarf darm.
Heatran was meant to plug holes but ended up being the best mon on the team, I clicked it like 90% of the time I was testing and it won so often, beats opposing kart, avalugg, sylveon, stall mons, etc.

I don’t really build ss so sorry if it’s too boring, it should be a decent team though!

:kartana:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250247560

:primarina:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250238637-3qpeeu524ovlw8uqg1cq17uld518gtvpw

:Heatran:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250232433-y1rp0f8zlppyfn1r3xujidifh8hvch6pw

Last edited:
yahallo Jamez155 I have made your tyrantrum team

:tyrantrum::volcanion::rillaboom:

tyrantrum kinda swanky, i tried a bunch of sets (band, haban, av, roseli) but decided that scarf would be best, max attack max speed seemed optimal, outspeeds max speed koko so it can try to crit it to win. Stabs are self explanatory, fire fang can snipe genesect that aren't occa berry/endure and kartana that aren't scarf, and play rough beats not super bulky urshifu single strikes. cc/eq are other options but tyrantrum is super weak so they're not that useful outside of crit fishing. for a partner i did /weakness tyrantrum and saw that it was weak to fairy fighting ground ice and steel so bop wisp volcanion, also beats rilla which is nice. i used a random number generator to ev it, they work dont worry. for a third i was like "these lose to like every stall mon, snorlax, water/ground types, most hax chomp and zygardes, and probably a bunch of other stuff", so bop seeds rillaboom, i again used a random number generator to ev it but again, they work don't worry. for the moves idk which is best here, use whatever u prefer, i typically use /pick to decide which one to use on any given team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1250253635-36o34za0y6reknc274ge066nu9do8idpw - me owning someone at 1000 elo with tyrantrum

tl;dr this team loses to scarf trick cress but its fun, hope you enjoy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)