Gallade (M) @ Chilan Berry
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 28 Atk / 188 Def / 52 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Encore
- Poison Jab
- Skill Swap

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 52 SpD Chilan Berry Gallade: 234-276 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Chilan Berry Gallade: 175-207 (63.1 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Gallade: 234-276 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 52 SpD Chilan Berry Gallade: 101-119 (36.4 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The base set was Gallade with Skill swap to break studies and to change abilities. Sylveon's Pixelate makes it's moves Fairy typing.
This is a rough idea of what a set can be, but am limited to what I can do atm due to being stuck with a phone. Sorry :c

fasfas.jpg I am on my phone due to my computer being broken, but I wanted to post this set just due to me making it during PL and it never being used and me updating it. I'm not as sure as to what it beats besides the normal stuff & supplied calc's. The set can be optimized once meta has developed and I get my computer back :)

Edit: I guess it helps with Fake out. Blocks some dmg, as well as making you faster due to Steadfast :3 // As well as steal Prankster

Last edited:
View attachment 255569Unranked ---> C
EVs: 28 Atk / 188 Def / 52 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Encore
- Poison Jab
- Skill Swap

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 52 SpD Chilan Berry Gallade: 234-276 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Chilan Berry Gallade: 175-207 (63.1 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Gallade: 234-276 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 52 SpD Chilan Berry Gallade: 101-119 (36.4 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The base set was Gallade with Skill swap to break studies and to change abilities. Sylveon's Pixelate makes it's moves Fairy typing.
This is a rough idea of what a set can be, but am limited to what I can do atm due to being stuck with a phone. Sorry :c

View attachment 255568 I am on my phone due to my computer being broken, but I wanted to post this set just due to me making it during PL and it never being used and me updating it. I'm not as sure as to what it beats besides the normal stuff & supplied calc's. The set can be optimized once meta has developed and I get my computer back :)

Edit: I guess it helps with Fake out. Blocks some dmg, as well as making you faster due to Steadfast :3 // As well as steal Prankster
Joker,joker,why cant you ev properly
EVs: 52 HP / 88 Atk / 128 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Encore
- Poison Jab
- Skill Swap
60 extra evs saved,lives exactly the same stuff

pazza

Banned deucer.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
1592848911511.png

:Amoonguss: -> C- or C
Amoonguss @ Expert Belt
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
s/o to smely socks for testing it :)

I thought about this thing at like 2am and was wondering if there was a good spore user. What this has over Venusaur is that Amoonguss gets 100% Accuracy sleep move and is a bit bulkier due it having more HP. Amoonguss has a really good typing for the metagame right now since the spam of Urshifu, Slyveon, Primarina, and Grass-type Pokemon. Spore sleeps things and can cheese Pokemon that resist Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb shown in this replay and is just really nice to have. The Item can be anything really but, I chose Expert Belt for maximum damage. Synthesis is to get back health. I'll drop some calcs below of how strong this Pokemon really is. Oh also its Regen because Effect Spore can mess you up if they get para'd or poisoned so then you can't sleep them.

252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Primarina: 230-274 (63.1 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 233-276 (63.8 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (you can sleep it first)
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 230-274 (75.9 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 389-461 (96.5 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 367-434 (90.8 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Kebia Berry Whimsicott: 367-432 (113.6 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 244 HP / 224+ SpD Aromatisse: 233-276 (57.6 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (you sleep it)
252+ SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 223-264 (57 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zeraora: 145-172 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 51.6% chance to 2HKO (you can sleep it, but u need luck)
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 202-240 (51.2 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 290-346 (73.6 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (you creep slowbro so they cant get +2 with amnesia.)

Last edited:
Amoonguss @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
Love the nom but just a few thoughts ev-wise.

Considering the disparity between Amoonguss's HP and defense stats, I think you're missing out on bulk by just slapping 252 on HP. You could be getting more out of your EV's in this mon by prioritizing defenses to be getting essentially the same bulk. Here's what I mean:

let's use :aegislash:as a benchmark:
Your spread:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Amoonguss: 273-322 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Optimized:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 136 SpD Amoonguss: 234-276 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You're essentially getting the same bulk for less price. This pretty much applies to most calculations with some minor deviation.
Here's a fully optimized spread:

:bw/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 112 Def / 252 SpA / 136 SpD
Modest Nature​

Funnily enough, this leaves you with 4 EVs, talk about history repeating itself.. but you can use that to speed-creep.

Quick nom of my own:

:Rillaboom: -> A
I love this mon. Grassy Glide allows it to be much more versatile with it now beating mons such as Darmanitan-G and more.

As always, thanks for reading and have a nice day.

clerica

fly me up to Jupiter
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1592851262498.png

:politoed: UR--> C
I miss toad :c (Politoed) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Def / 224 SpA
Bold Nature
- Weather Ball
- Ice Beam/Hydro Pump/Earth Power
- Psychic/Hydro Pump/Earth Power
- Counter/Hydro Pump/Earth Power

Eved for band haxorus (thx Potatochan sorry for bothering you I promise I'll learn how to ev someday)
You can change the evs around a bit depending on what you want to beat.

So this was some tech made by Dom when dlc first dropped meant to beat Cindy, most Mags, and all those new fire types like Alolawak that are being spammed currently. With rain+specs you manage to oko or 2ko many mons like Haxorus, Urshifu, and Sylveon. Counter is a really nice option because it helps beat mons like Dracovish who you fail to kill, but they also can't kill you which wins the matchup. Although it is by no means a centralizing metagame threat, Politoed does have a niche that it is a pretty antimeta mon currently with so many fire types being used to counter the rise in steel types. What Politoed struggles with is beating any kind of stall mon or anything that resists it. Because you are locked into a choice item you have no way to prevent your opponent from setting up and just stalling you out. Overall Politoed is a really fun mon to use and I know a lot of people have had success with it in testing. Try it out yourself sometime and have fun!

Sorry for the short post but this mon is pretty much what you would expect from a specs set. What makes politoed unique is that it is an offensive special water type which we don't really have a ton of right now especially with the rain boost this frog is quite stronk.

Murm

formerly Murman
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Imo, dwebble should be here. It is much faster than crustle and after a smash is quite a threat. It is especially good against pult and zeraora, among others. I wouldn't rate it too high, because it can lose against a lot of priority, multihits, and very bulky mons, but it at least deserves a mention in C- rank.
dweeb (Dwebble) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Protect
This set beats a lot of mons that think they can win with status or fake out. It specifically is very good against rotom (with the right prediction) and zeraora. It can be tailored to beat other mons too, but I like this the most. Thanks for your consideration. I need my dweeb to be ranked.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The VR has been updated for post DLC!

The metagame shift was massive, and VR council has finally been able to reflect this in the VR shifts. Here are the results!
Rises:
6/28/20: Snorlax A- - A
6/28/20: Togekiss B+ - A
6/28/20: Rillaboom B - A
6/28/20: Dracozolt B- - B
6/28/20: Pyukumuku C- - C
6/28/20: Indeedee UR - C
6/28/20: Indeedee-F UR - D
6/28/20: Dhelmise UR - D
6/28/20: Salazzle UR - B
6/28/20: Hawlucha UR - B
6/28/20: Gurdurr UR - D
6/28/20: Persian-Alola UR - D
6/28/20: Passimian UR - D
6/28/20: Urshifu-Single UR - B+
6/28/20: Urshifu-Rapid UR - A
6/28/20: Porygon-Z UR - S
6/28/20: Porygon2 UR - B+
6/28/20: Alakazam UR - C
6/28/20: Slowbro UR - A-
6/28/20: Slowbor-Galar UR - C
6/28/20: Chansey UR - A-
6/28/20: Marowak UR - C+
6/28/20: Marowak-Alola UR - B+
6/28/20: Skarmory UR - C
6/28/20: Azumarill UR - B+
6/28/20: Miltank UR - C
6/28/20: Exploud UR - C-
6/28/20: Magnezone UR - A-
6/28/20: Volcarona UR - B
6/28/20: Talonflame UR - C+
6/28/20: Dragalge UR - C
6/28/20: Pincurchin UR - C-
6/28/20: Scizor UR - C+

Falls:
6/28/20: Primarina S - A+
6/28/20: Darmanitan-Galar S- - A+
6/28/20: Sylveon S- - A
6/28/20: Dracovish A+ - A
6/28/20: Corsola-Galar A- - B+
6/28/20: Corviknight A- - B+
6/28/20: Mandibuzz A- - B+
6/28/20: Sawk A- - B+
6/28/20: Whimsicott A- - B+
6/28/20: Avalugg B+ - B
6/28/20: Silvally B - B-
6/28/20: Steelix B - B-
6/28/20: Tyranitar B - C+
6/28/20: Bewear B- - C+
6/28/20: Blastoise B- - C+
6/28/20: Duraludon B- - C+
6/28/20: Golisopod B- - C+
6/28/20: Grimmsnarl B- - C+
6/28/20: Gyarados B- - C+
6/28/20: Keldeo B- - C
6/28/20: Milotic B- - C+
6/28/20: Excadrill C+ - C
6/28/20: Meowstic C+ - C
6/28/20: Rotom-Mow C+ - C
6/28/20: Terrakion C+ - C
6/28/20: Throh C+ - UR
6/28/20: Togedemaru C+ - C
6/28/20: Toxapex C+ - C
6/28/20: Type: Null C+ - C
6/28/20: Weezing-Galar C+ - C
6/28/20: Appletun C - D
6/28/20: Alcreamie C - C-
6/28/20: Braviary C - C-
6/28/20: Clefable C - C-
6/28/20: Cloyster C - C-
6/28/20: Cofagrigus C - C-
6/28/20: Copperajah C - C-
6/28/20: Crawdaunt C - D
6/28/20: Dubwool C - D
6/28/20: Gigalith C - C-
6/28/20: Hippowdown C - C-
6/28/20: Hitmonlee C - C-
6/28/20: Inteleon C - C-
6/28/20: Malamar C - C-
6/28/20: Mamoswine C - C-
6/28/20: Obstagoon C - C-
6/28/20: Reuniclus C - C-
6/28/20: Scrafty C - C-
6/28/20: Umbreon C - C-
6/28/20: Bisharp C- - D
6/28/20: Charizard C- - D
6/28/20: Cobalion C- - D
6/28/20: Drifblim C- - D
6/28/20: Espeon C- - D
6/28/20: Sirfetch’d C- - D
6/28/20: Torkoal C- - D
6/28/20: Seismitoad C- - D
6/28/20: Tsareena C- - D
6/28/20: Sudowoodo D - UR
6/28/20: Trevenant D - UR

In summary, a lot of old Pokemon that were only in the middle of the VR for certain metagame-specific niches dropped at least 1 rank, while the new mons find moderate to high spots in VR, alongside some massive improvements from older Pokemon gaining new moves. What are your thoughts and reactions? We'd love to hear them!

Bear in mind the metagame is still relatively fresh, and a lot of these rankings are super likely to shift in the near future.

Last edited:
:Chansey: A- -> A+/S
This thing is insane. It tanks so many hits from so many things. Seismic Toss and Counter help it actually do damage to things that would threaten it over time (like physical attackers that 2HKO and special attackers with Trick). It beats many currently common threats and will beat a bunch of the old threats once they start being used again. This includes everything in A+ and S except Porygon-Z with Trick and NP or Recover, Band Darm-G with Superpower (which it doesn't always run because 4MSS), SubDisable Dragapult with a physical non-Ghost move or Curse, and Clear Body Band Dragapult. Matchup spread coming soonTM.

Last edited:
This includes everything in A+ and S except Band Darm-G with Superpower (which it doesn't always run because 4MSS), SubDisable Dragapult with a physical non-Ghost move or Curse (and maybe some other Pults too), and maybe some Encore Primarina set?
S
Porygon-Z: Clicks trick and wins with nasty plot/recover

A+
Darm-G: Scarf loses, band wins with superpower (band never drops superpower)
Dragapult: Specs loses, but curse and band are without a doubt the best sets right now
Primarina: 100% win for Chansey, just click stoss

That's... everything in S-A+. Personally, I think Chansey is deserving of it's current rank.

PA

Purgatory.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:Dragalge:Dragalge C-> B- higher maybe
While researching Pokemon to use for the DLC I came across this mon and found out that it quite useful and definitely should be higher than its given rank. I will be talking about two sets Choice Specs and Assault Vest. Welcome to my TED Talk.

Choice Specs (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 168 HP / 136 SpA / 192 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast / Surf
The main flagship for the Pokemon, the EVs specified allow Dragalge to do the following. HP and SpD EVs let Dragalge survive a Choice Scarf Hyper Beam from Porygon-Z and a Choice Specs Hyper Beam from bulky Sylveon; also, can live 3 Air Slashes from Choice Scarf Togekiss and Choice Specs Celebi's Psychic. The Speed EVs allow you to outspeed Alolan Marowak so you can OHKO with Draco Meteor. Finally, the remaining EVs are put into SpA so you can guarantee the OHKO on Aromatisse.

Assault Vest (Dragalge) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 180 HP / 112 SpA / 216 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
This set functions the same but focuses more on taking on special Pokemon better. This variant of Dragalge lives Specs Hyper Beam from Porygon-Z and -2 Hyper Beam from Sylveon.
alright ty for listening :o

Last edited:
:skarmory: C -> Anywhere from C+ to B

In my opinion, Skarmory is a pokemon with great potential. Functionally, it can do the same things as both Steelix sets (Band and Torment), but it has traits which give way to more possibilities.

I have theorized a few different sets so far, but have not done extensive research to fully flesh them out quite yet. Let's start with the one that emphasizes Skarmory's strengths so far: Stall

***********************************************************************************************************

Skarmory's stall options are, with a lack of better words, great. Not only does it have reliable recovery in roost, it is also able to set up defensive boosts with Iron Defense or Curse before unleashing +6 boosted attacks in Body Press or its STABs. It even gets taunt to be able to shut down opposing stall as a cherry on top. It also gets the other moves that do not matter quite as much, such as Toxic or Torment. Feel free to test this out.

Sidenote here: many people have asked me on ladder whether I had Torment on my very own Skarmory, to which I promptly respond "no". My reasoning is simple: if I were to run Torment, I would have just used Steelix. I very much believe that, although Skarmory has many of the same options as Steelix, the latter performs its job better.

***********************************************************************************************************

Skarmory as a Physical Wall
This is my favourite reason to run Skarmory. Despite its Defense not being as high as Steelix, it is able to mix in other moves such as Counter and Roost. Personally, I run 2 STABs (Brave Bird and Iron Head) with Roost and Counter. Now, this seems a bit far from a stall set, which is why I put a "kinda" in brackets. The secret here is my item choice: Rocky Helmet. My justification for using this often-underappreciated item is as follows. Urshifu was running pretty rampant at the beginning of the DLC drop, and it wants to run contact moves. Skarmory, with its high defenses and recovery, is able to tank multiple hits while chipping the opponent. This extends to many other physical attackers like Sawk. The physical that are able to output enough damage to proc Sturdy, such as Dracovish and Dracozolt, lose to counter. Overall, Skarmory is able to beat almost every physical attacker, with some notable ones being Urshifu, and Sawk. Important losing matchups are as follows:
- Marowak-Alola
- Rillaboom (with Leech Seed)
- Feel free to tell me any others. I'm probably missing some.

So, what about its matchup against Special Attackers?
Skarmory loses to almost every Special Attacker, but here are the ones that Skarmory can beat:
- Sylveon (1st or 2nd turn wake)
- Volcarona (given that Volcarona has 0 bulk)
- Roserade (without Leech Seed)

Skarmory as an Physical Attacker
With the DLC, Skarmory got access to some new moves: Steel Beam, Body Press, Dual Wingbeat. While Steel Beam is pretty much useless on a Skarmory, the other two moves are quite interesting. Body Press allows Skarmory to use its highest stat to deal damage, rather than the base 80 Attack. Running this move is quite similar to Steelix or Avalugg running Body Press, except weaker. Nonetheless, still a good option. Dual Wingbeat, on the other hand, is in some contention with another one of Skarmory's moves: Brave Bird. While the latter has higher base power, Dual Wingbeat can break sturdy, break substitute, and have no recoil, thus allowing Skarmory to keep the all-important Sturdy. Personally, I still prefer Brave Bird with its 120 base power, but who says I can't run both?
I haven't tested this yet; if someone is willing to do so for me, please tell me how it goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And now, a sort-of meme "nomination"
:shellos:

I'm not going to fully nominate it to a rank for several reasons:
1. My arguments are all for the Pre-DLC meta
2. Nominating NFE mons seems like meme.

This nomination is just to get people to potentially think about Shellos as a legitimate mon.

I first started using this because Nalei gave it to me for a Nalémon tour. Some laddering with this Pokémon proved it to be quite good, to my surprise. I used a CounterCoat strategy with Clear Smog and Recover. Turns out, this mon can tank most hits from non-choiced non-supereffective attacks and CounterCoat back. Simple, but effective. Clear Smog nullifies set-up mons, such as Swords Dance Haxorus. (This thing tanks a +2 Outrage) Recover is just recover. Against Choiced mons that CounterCoat can't hit, such as Choice Specs/Scarf Hydreigon, PP stall is actually an option. Furthermore, Trick users also lose against Shellos due to Sticky Hold. All in all, a cute yet impressive mon.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
:skarmory: C -> Anywhere from C+ to B

In my opinion, Skarmory is a pokemon with great potential. Functionally, it can do the same things as both Steelix sets (Band and Torment), but it has traits which give way to more possibilities.

I have theorized a few different sets so far, but have not done extensive research to fully flesh them out quite yet. Let's start with the one that emphasizes Skarmory's strengths so far: Stall

Skarmory's stall options are, with a lack of better words, great. Not only does it have reliable recovery in roost, it is also able to set up defensive boosts with Iron Defense or Curse before unleashing +6 boosted attacks in Body Press or its STABs. It even gets taunt to be able to shut down opposing stall as a cherry on top. It also gets the other moves that do not matter quite as much, such as Toxic or Torment. Feel free to test this out.

Sidenote here: many people have asked me on ladder whether I had Torment on my very own Skarmory, to which I promptly respond "no". My reasoning is simple: if I were to run Torment, I would have just used Steelix. I very much believe that, although Skarmory has many of the same options as Steelix, the latter performs its job better.

Skarmory as a Physical Wall
This is my favourite reason to run Skarmory. Despite its Defense not being as high as Steelix, it is able to mix in other moves such as Counter and Roost. Personally, I run 2 STABs (Brave Bird and Iron Head) with Roost and Counter. Now, this seems a bit far from a stall set, which is why I put a "kinda" in brackets. The secret here is my item choice: Rocky Helmet. My justification for using this often-underappreciated item is as follows. Urshifu was running pretty rampant at the beginning of the DLC drop, and it wants to run contact moves. Skarmory, with its high defenses and recovery, is able to tank multiple hits while chipping the opponent. This extends to many other physical attackers like Sawk. The physical that are able to output enough damage to proc Sturdy, such as Dracovish and Dracozolt, lose to counter. Overall, Skarmory is able to beat almost every physical attacker, with some notable ones being Urshifu, and Sawk. Important losing matchups are as follows:
- Marowak-Alola
- Rillaboom (with Leech Seed)

So, what about its matchup against Special Attackers?
Skarmory loses to almost every Special Attacker, but here are the ones that Skarmory can beat:
- Sylveon (1st or 2nd turn wake)
- Volcarona (given that Volcarona has 0 bulk)
- Roserade (without Leech Seed)

Skarmory as an Physical Attacker
With the DLC, Skarmory got access to some new moves: Steel Beam, Body Press, Dual Wingbeat. While Steel Beam is pretty much useless on a Skarmory, the other two moves are quite interesting. Body Press allows Skarmory to use its highest stat to deal damage, rather than the base 80 Attack. Running this move is quite similar to Steelix or Avalugg running Body Press, except weaker. Nonetheless, still a good option. Dual Wingbeat, on the other hand, is in some contention with another one of Skarmory's moves: Brave Bird. While the latter has higher base power, Dual Wingbeat can break sturdy, break substitute, and have no recoil, thus allowing Skarmory to keep the all-important Sturdy. Personally, I still prefer Brave Bird with its 120 base power, but who says I can't run both?
I haven't tested this yet; if someone is willing to do so for me, please tell me how it goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And now, a sort-of meme "nomination"
:shellos:

I'm not going to fully nominate it to a rank for several reasons:
1. My arguments are all for the Pre-DLC meta
2. Nominating NFE mons seems like meme.

This nomination is just to get people to potentially think about Shellos as a legitimate mon.

I first started using this because Nalei gave it to me for a Nalémon tour. Some laddering with this Pokémon proved it to be quite good, to my surprise. I used a CounterCoat strategy with Clear Smog and Recover. Turns out, this mon can tank most hits from non-choiced non-supereffective attacks and CounterCoat back. Simple, but effective. Clear Smog nullifies set-up mons, such as Swords Dance Haxorus. (This thing tanks a +2 Outrage) Recover is just recover. Against Choiced mons that CounterCoat can't hit, such as Choice Specs/Scarf Hydreigon, PP stall is actually an option. Furthermore, Trick users also lose against Shellos due to Sticky Hold. All in all, a cute yet impressive mon.
So for this, can you give reasoning for any reason to run Skarmory over Corviknight?

S
Porygon-Z: Clicks trick and wins with nasty plot/recover

A+
Darm-G: Scarf loses, band wins with superpower (band never drops superpower)
Dragapult: Specs loses, but curse and band are without a doubt the best sets right now
Primarina: 100% win for Chansey, just click stoss

That's... everything in S-A+. Personally, I think Chansey is deserving of it's current rank.
Porygon-Z: NP or Recover wins, but I thought (I'm probably wrong) that 3 attacks with Trick and Shadow Ball was a common set.

Darm-G: Band does drop Superpower. At least, it did in May.
Moves (at 1630): Icicle Crash 97.536% | Flare Blitz 93.886% | Earthquake 68.345% | Superpower 55.443% | Giga Impact 27.759%...
Items (at 1630): Choice Scarf 62.257% | Choice Band 23.511%...
Because Choice Band often runs Giga Impact, the main choice is between EQ and Superpower, and EQ is more common.

Dragapult: 252 Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 306-362 (43.4 - 51.4%) -- approx. 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 338-398 (48 - 56.5%) -- approx. 93% chance to 2HKO
You might be able to stall it out with certain rolls, but let's just say it wins as long as it has Clear Body to beat Charm. In May, it usually didn't.
Abilities (at 1630): Infiltrator 76.941% | Clear Body 16.682% | Cursed Body 6.376%

Chansey may lose to sets of 3 of the most viable Pokémon, but a lot of the sets it loses to aren't that common.

Also, edited the original post to be more accurate.

Last edited:
Porygon-Z: Ig that set wins, but I wouldn't expect 1 attack with Trick to be the most common set.

Darm-G: Band does drop Superpower. At least, it did in May.
Moves (at 1630): Icicle Crash 97.536% | Flare Blitz 93.886% | Earthquake 68.345% | Superpower 55.443% | Giga Impact 27.759%...
Items (at 1630): Choice Scarf 62.257% | Choice Band 23.511%...
Because Choice Band often runs Giga Impact, the main choice is between EQ and Superpower, and EQ is more common.

Dragapult: 252 Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 306-362 (43.4 - 51.4%) -- approx. 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 338-398 (48 - 56.5%) -- approx. 93% chance to 2HKO
You might be able to stall it out with certain rolls, but let's just say it wins as long as it has Clear Body to beat Charm. In May, it usually didn't.
Abilities (at 1630): Infiltrator 76.941% | Clear Body 16.682% | Cursed Body 6.376%

Chansey may lose to sets of 3 of the most viable Pokémon, but the sets it loses to aren't that common.

Also, edited the original post to be more accurate.
the main pz set is hyper beam / uproar / trick / nasty plot or recover, you only need one of those 2 to win

you can't use those usage stats to determine which moves are run on choice band lol, besides eq on band literally only hits marowak and chandelure, while superpower hits chansey, snorlax, kyurem, and porygon2

i forgot about charm chansey actually, but you still lose to curse pult, easily the best set and the main reason for its A+ ranking

Some additions because I agree:
What this does better than Steelix is the fact that it gets Taunt. This means that it is able to shut down any threat that is either choiced, or only has 1 attacking move (like Corviknight, Chansey?, Corsola-Galar, Celebi and Gastrodon). Additionally it's also way faster than Steelix, allowing it to safely speed control the particular Mons that you'd like to outspeed (mainly base 60s like Sylveon, Specs Magnezone and also Corviknight). This faster speed also allows it to beat Trick-Scarf users like Porygon-Z, Togekiss and Gardevoir by outspeeding them after Trick. Protect also helps by predicting opponent's sets. I find the best fourth slot to be Iron Head, because it will beat those Trick users, as well as doing additional damage to Struggle Recoil and 2hko'ing Togekiss, Sylveon and Crustle. Roost is also an option (and it generally is a more reliable Choiced/1 attack mon counter) but it leaves you open to faster Taunt users like Haxorus, Whimsicott, Grimmsnarl and Mandibuzz. Rock Tomb is the third best option as it allows you to run more bulk and to put pressure on the Taunt users, as well as beating Volcarona and Flame Charge Type:Null.

Besides Torment+Taunt Skarm, I've also found an offensive form that works on Skarmory, namely Choice Band.
Skarmory @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Dual Wingbeat
- Iron Head
- Counter

Evs might be boring but it does what you want it to do. OHKO Sawk with Dual Wingbeat, Counter the same Band users as the Torment set beats and reliably beat fairy types like Sylveon and Togekiss. Flying STAB is underrated in the tier so Fighting types like Urshifu are in danger for Brave Bird.

I'd say this is definitely B- worthy. Besides, there's definitely more potential with this one. Liechi Berry and Scarf could work too.

Secondly Kyurem B+ ---> A-/A
I think Kyurem fits really well in the new meta. People have prepared for Haban/Noble Roar/Roost stall and that's why it is not as viable as it used to. However, I do find success with other sets.

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Focus Blast

We know that Choice Scarf is a really good item in this meta. But Kyurem is actually able to run because of its good speed, great offence and its awesome movepool with coverage. It's able to take down all Dragons with this sets unless they run Choice Scarf themselves. It's also able to tank a moonblast from a Non-Choice Specs Primarina and a Choice Specs Weezing-Galar which many people forget. Freeze-Dry doesn't only beat Primarina, it is also useful vs Gastrodon, (Haban) Dracovish, Gyarados, Rotom-Wash and Urshifu-Rapid Strike. It has enough speed to outspeed base 80s and to safely ambush scarf Togekiss.

248+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 240 HP / 148 SpD Whimsicott: 342-404 (106.5 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248+ SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Gastrodon: 432-508 (101.4 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248+ SpA Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darmanitan-Galar: 373-439 (106.2 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248+ SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 380-450 (111.4 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248+ SpA Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 432-510 (126.6 - 149.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

88 SpA Choice Specs Weezing-Galar Strange Steam vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Kyurem: 306-360 (78.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
128+ SpA Primarina Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Kyurem: 330-390 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (depends on set but can be evd for)
252+ SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Kyurem: 294-348 (75.1 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kyurem @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 8 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Freeze-Dry / Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Focus Blast
- Glaciate / Rock Tomb
AV Kyurem might be one of the best working lures I've tried so far. It is able to tank a Specs Primarina, a Specs Magnezone and even Scarf Porygon-Z while safely 2HKO'ing them in return. The fact that Kyurem has such amazing Base Stats allows it to run almost 0 spa evs and still beat what you want it to beat. This set specifically is made to tank a Choice Band Zeraora and 2hko with Glaciate>Draco Meteor. It's even possible to run almost 0 evs in bulk because AV on its own can carry a lot of damage. The coverage of this mon is great. Draco Meteor is its main STAB move and will be used a lot vs Dragons as well as neutral damage. Freeze-Dry lures Primarina, Gastrodon, Gyarados and Rotom-Wash (this set is slower than Urshifu). Ice Beam OHKO's Whimsicott and is generally a safer pick for 2hko's as neutral damage. Earth Power can take out Magnezone, Toxtricity and also 2hko non WP Aegislash, Weezing-Galar and Arcanine. Focus Blast is an option too if you try to beat Tyranitar, PZ (more reliably) while still beating Magnezone. Glaciate is awesome because it slows down opponents with STAB damage meaning it deals like 15% on a resisting mon respectively as well as ensuring 2hkos on mons like Zeraora. Rock Tomb can be used to 2hko Volcarona, Salazzle (if you dont run Earth Power) and Centiskorch due to its whopping 130 (useless) base attack.

252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem: 246-290 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem: 366-432 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem: 314-372 (69.3 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem: 180-212 (39.7 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
228 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem: 84-99 (18.5 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem: 386-456 (85.2 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zeraora Outrage vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Kyurem: 384-452 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dracovish Outrage vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Kyurem: 366-432 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Superpower vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Kyurem: 361-426 (79.6 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Kommo-o Outrage vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Kyurem: 380-450 (83.8 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

W = more than one set beats it, or a single move
W/L = one set beats it
L= No set beats it
S Rank
:Porygon-Z: Porygon-Z W - Scarf Timid Focus Blast or AV

S- Rank
-----

A+ Rank
:Darmanitan-Galar: Darmanitan-Galar W/L Scarf Timid
:Dragapult: Dragapult W AV or Scarf
:Primarina: Primarina W/L unless its AV itself

A Rank
:Crustle: Crustle L
:Dracovish: Dracovish W
:Rillaboom: Rillaboom W
:Snorlax: Snorlax L Too bulky
:Sylveon: Sylveon L Too Bulky
:Togekiss: Togekiss W AV or Scarf or Specs

urshifu-rapid-strike.png

Urshifu-Rapid W/L Scarf only

A- Rank
:Arcanine: Arcanine W Earth Power pressure
:chansey: Chansey L
:Haxorus: Haxorus W/L Scarf vs Band, or Haban berry vs Mold breaker
:magnezone: Magnezone W AV
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash W Freeze-Dry
:slowbro: Slowbro W/L Freeze-Dry, depends on spread

B+ Rank
:Aromatisse: Aromatisse L
:Azumarill: Azumarill W/L L to Band, Specs Freeze-Dry OHKOs though
:Corsola-Galar: Corsola-Galar L
:Corviknight: Corviknight W Ice Beam 2hkos
:Diggersby: Diggersby W/L Scarf Ice Beam for guaranteed W
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon W/L Scarf too
:Kommo-o: Kommo-o W
:Kyurem: Kyurem W/L
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz W
:Marowak-Alola: Marowak-Alola W you tank flare blitz
:porygon2: Porygon2 L
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat W/L
:Sawk: Sawk W/L Chople Berry

urshifu-rapid-strike.png

Urshifu-Single W/L Scarf Dracp Meteor OHKOs
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott W Ice beam
:Zeraora: Zeraora W/L Bulky Glaciate or Bulky Specs

B Rank
:Aegislash: Aegislash W/L Non WP
:Avalugg: Avalugg W/L Body Press hurts
:Celebi: Celebi W
:Centiskorch: Centiskorch W Rock Tomb / Specs
:Chandelure: Chandelure W Scarf or AV
:Conkeldurr: Conkeldurr W/L Specs
:Darmanitan: Darmanitan L
:Dracozolt: Dracozolt L
:Durant: Durant W/L Scarf Focus Blast
:Gardevoir: Gardevoir W/L AV
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon W Freeze-Dry
:hawlucha: Hawlucha L
:Incineroar: Incineroar W
:Rhyperior: Rhyperior L
:salazzle: Salazzle W
:volcarona: Volcarona W/L Rock Tomb

B- Rank
:Gengar: Gengar W
:Goodra: Goodra W/L
:Silvally: Silvally (Water, Poison, Steel)* W/L
:Steelix: Steelix L
:venusaur: Venusaur W

C+ Rank
:Bewear: Bewear L
:Blastoise: Blastoise W
:Duraludon: Duraludon W
:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn L
:Golisopod: Golisopod W
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl L
:Gyarados: Gyarados W
:marowak: Marowak W
:Milotic: Milotic L
:scizor: Scizor L
:talonflame: Talonflame W
:Toxtricity: Toxtricity W
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar W/L

C Rank
:Alakazam: Alakazam W
:dragalge: Dragalge W
:Excadrill: Excadrill W/L
:indeedee: Indeedee L
:Keldeo: Keldeo L
:meowstic-m: Meowstic L
:miltank: Miltank L
:Pyukumuku: Pyukumuku L
:rotom-mow: Rotom-Mow W
:skarmory: Skarmory W

slowbro-galarian.png

Slowbro-Galar W
:Terrakion: Terrakion L
:Togedemaru: Togedemaru W
:Toxapex: Toxapex W
:Type-Null: Type: Null L
:Vaporeon: Vaporeon W
:Weezing-Galar: Weezing-Galar W

Kyurem is a very versatile mon. Therefore it can be hard to predict what it beats or not. Any set that has Draco Meteor + Ice Stab covers about the same but the Item and Movepool possibilities cover even more together with its great stats. The fact that the Pokemon Damage Calculator has already 5 Kyurem sets (including Haban, Chople, Charti and Roseli) in it says a lot. I therefore think Kyurem should be A-/A rank.

Last edited:
What this does better than Steelix is the fact that it gets Taunt.
In Gen 8, Steelix can learn Taunt from:
  • anywhere (move is level-up/tutor/TM/HM/egg in Gen 8)
Additionally, I find it hard to believe people prepare for noble roar stall when the majority of teams on ladder are 3-0d by the following set:

Kyurem @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Noble Roar
- Roost
- Glaciate
- Draco Meteor

Takes a modest pz hyper beam, although you have to know the set in order to win 100%. Noble roar t1 vs specs, or glaciate t1 vs scarf. It is worth noting that you will still beat scarf with noble roar t1 if they opt to attack rather than trick. Against rapid strike urshifu, one should always draco meteor t1, as this will ko after a cc drop unless av. Against single strike, you should glaciate into draco meteor because they could wicked blow, although this will lose to scarf single strike urshifu. This set beats corsola, arcanine (earth power doesn't win, they just snarl+burn up, recover off damage, and wisp you), sawk, and scarf rapid strike urshifu, in addition to combining some matchups from the scarf and av sets.

Noms!

Tentacruelcool
UR —> C+

This Anti Fairy mon has access to a good speed tier, spd stat, and movepool. It definitely has a boatload of potential. It gets stuff like Acid Spray, Hydro pump, Surf, Sludge Wave, Reflect Type, Acid Armor, Rest, and Mirror Coat. It’s useful Spd Stat comes in handy for stuff like Gard & Scarf Pz. Items wise it can run Life orb/ Ebelt for a offensive set or possibly a sitrus or AV set to capitalize on bulk.

Zeraora
B+ —> A-
I feel like this mon definitely got better in dlc. It can beat most of the main dlc mons (i.e. Urshifu, Magnezone, Volc, Slowbro, Azu, Marowak-Alola, P2, Scizor, Talonflame, Skarmory, and even Pz if Chilan or Scarf; While still retaining its old niche’s vs Prim, Pult, etc.)

Indeedee
C —> C+
I haven’t looked into this mon too much but I can say it definitely got better with Expanding Force being added. Indeedee is becoming more and more like Meloetta which has been proven to be strong in past gens and deserves a shot for a higher rank.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
:scyther: UR —> C/C+

Scyther boasts incredible stats, naturally having great Attack and Speed and boosting its already-decent bulk with Eviolite. It also has access to STAB Technician Dual Wingbeat, which allows it to beat some Counter and Subtitute users. While its typing and coverage is lackluster, this combo alone lets it beat Primarina, Rillaboom, non-Yawn Sylveon, and both Urshifus.

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 108 HP / 236 Atk / 52 Def / 112 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite/Quick Attack

Bulked to live Banded Max Attack Surging Strikes and non-Specs Modest Hyper Beam from Porygon-Z. Swords Dance beats Chansey , Knock Off beats Marowak-Alola and Dragapult (in conjuction with Dual Wingbeat, if it's Sub-Disable). Quick Attack helps make up for low rolls against Urshifu, and Bug Bite is mainly for Hydreigon (it's also STAB, but it doesn't hit much).

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Optimized spread by Kry and 413X. Thanks :)

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Def / 36 SpD / 244 Spe
Adamant/Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat
- Quick Attack/Bug Bite

A faster variant that lets it beat most Porygon-Z sets. EV'd to outspeed Timid Porygon and live a Modest Hyper Beam. An impish nature gives it a better chance to not get 2HKO'd by Surging Strikes from Adamant Urshifu-Rapid Strike.

Last edited:
Ok something I feel personally has been overlooked for a while is the C and below section of the VR. Generally we just sort mons that may eventually find a niche or mons that already have a niche, albeit a middling niche, into somewhere in C. I feel generally this list is glossed over unless a mon finds a niche that may move up a rank. This usually leads to a lot of mons that just aren’t worthwhile anymore sitting around somewhere in C. To try and resolve this issue I am doing:
THE C PURGE
I’ll be going over every mon currently residing in C and saying where I think they belong and why. (not a lot of actual purging until later tho)

:Bewear: Bewear is basically a worse Diggersby/Darm-G but it’s distiction from the two is beating Diggersby/Dark-G. I think it belongs here for that small edge over its contemporaries.
:Blastoise: A really gimmicky mon notable for having CounterCoat and Shell Smash. Its pretty bad stats hold it back but it’s definitely unmatched at what it does, albeit what it does isn’t that noteworthy.
:Duraludon: Mon lost its already dwindling usefulness when fairies no longer ruled in addition to the fact that other mons it liked to beat such as Corv are also falling off. Couple this w/ its atrocious spdef and recent better alternative Zone you’re going to have a rough time justifying this thing is anything outside of “worse Zone that’s a dragon.” C+ -> C-
:Ferrothorn: Constantly struggling to find a reason to use this over other stall mons and I don’t think DLC has really helped or hurt it. Always in a spot of mediocrity. C+ -> C
:Golisopod: This thing’s glory days are long over. I managed to peak ladder during Mimi meta using a team of Goli/Dural/Hydregion which looking at it now has aged incredibly poorly. This mon stuck around as a good Mimi check before Charm rose to prominence and of course really early meta was a Mew check. However, Goli has not really found anything outside of checking brokens. Sure, its monstrous physical bulk lets it beat the sturdies not named Zone assuming you run Charti but it has almost nothing outside of that. It’s one of the more reliable sturdy cheese mons but that’s becoming less and less impressive especially considering Zone is now a presence. I wouldn’t necessarily put it any lower but the mon has seen better times.
:Grimmsnarl: Super ugly mon held back by atrocious stats and typing is never really helpful, usually a detriment. C+ -> C
:Gyarados: Just a unique case of a shit ton of good tools that don’t really come together to form a super noteworthy niche. By no means bad, just middling.

:Marowak: Basically its counterpart w/ a worse typing that’s situational. Makes sense here.
:Milotic: Primarina if you want to cheese a special attack w/ Mirror Coat. Moving on.
:Scizor: Nothing else really threatens BPs that strong in addition to Scizor getting Counter+SD it’s like marginally usable.
:Talonflame: Weaker than Thwackey but it’s like somewhat decent at MU fishing since some teams just don’t account for priority flying moves.
:Toxtricity: If you want a frail strong specs attacker that beats fairies use Toxtricity, the CHAD fairy beater. Also gets options such as Acid Spray which are nice.
:Tyranitar: Typing is just very wack for 1v1. Very customizable however and Chople is fine.
Going to ignore new mons since those really are just settling in and I don’t really have qualms w/ their current placing.
:Excadrill: The second Mimi was removed this mon lost its niche. It has devolved to a Sturdy/Rotom beater. I strongly feel that you have much stronger options such as Gastro and Meowstic. If your goal is winning games, I strongly advise against using Exca. C -> UR
:Indeedee: Supposed to be doing drops not rises dammit. Got 120 BP STAB move but those stats are super bad makijg Indeedee unsalvagely frail. Dies to a stray bullet and PZ is starting to tank Expanding Force (252 SpA Indeedee Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Porygon-Z in Psychic Terrain: 277-327 (89 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO) so C -> C+ seems reasonable considering nothing else really outdoes it at Psychic attacks.
:Keldeo: Typing isn’t even exclusive anymore but it gets a faster Taunt than Ursi so yay! Still pretty outdone by Ursi for the most part.
:Meowstic: If you can avoid the crit this mon is a stall monster still and it’s a stall monster that beats Rotoms which is neat. I actually still see success w/ Meowstic and would move towards a rise C -> C+.
:Rotom-Mow: Rotom that sacrifices a shit ton of MUs so you can beat your mortal enemy Gastro. Not much more to say.
:Pyukumuku: CounterCoat w/ Spite. Nothing else does it, but why would they want to.
:Terrakion: Falls short of being bulky or strong enough to pull most MUs w/o super effective moves off. Rock/Fighting isn’t seen elsewhere and Terrak still isn’t weak but far from anything but niche.
:Togedemaru: Really good if you’re really lucky. Elsewise very mid but fastest Sturdy and Nuzzle is super annoying, especially to other sturdies.
:Type-Null: Straight up outclassed by other options but it can’t be crit which is something you just can’t say about the other.
:Vaporeon: Ugly snake mon. It has sleep over its much better friend Prim unless you’re nolenot in which case you always get 3 turns of sleep so for him it’s slightly better Prim.
:Weezing-Galar: Ability is nice for some MUs but it’s just pitifully weak. Speed tier ain’t helping either. I would recommend other Sturdy cheese.
Now it’s time to get down to business.
:Alcremie: Alcremie is worse than Arom in basically every way but you can beat Vish w/ Baby Doll Eyes which is super not noteworthy but something.
:Araquanid: SUPER OUTCLASSED. Goli does a better job at having its typing and most water mons perform wayyyy better than it. Doesn’t even have Mirror Coat to its name since Milo does that way better. UR
:Braviary: Has nothing over other Flyings especially now that we have Talon/Skarm. UR
:Clefable: Can still run like hella lure sets so it can chill here.
:Copperajah: Does nothing over other way better steels. UR
:Gigalith: Can’t think of anything this mon does over Crustle. UR
:Hatterene: I think personally it’s super bad and a mon you should only ever use if you are okay w/ losing. Nothing else gets bounce ig so put it in D
:Hippowdon: Why would you run this over Diggersby. Yawn and Curse is the immediate response but does very little imo and generally I would rather run one of Krook, Maro, or Diggersby before Hippo. Ig you can’t deny it has Yawn but still this mon is super wack, put it in D.
:Hitmonlee: Better sturdy/PZ cheese exists, namely Togedemaru if you really want to beat sturdies/PZ. UR
:Malamar: Stall beater that beats the stall birds isn’t impressive when Rotoms exist. UR
:Mamoswine: Doesn’t really have anything going for it. UR
:Ninetales: Walking 50/50. While it’s something, it’s a really bad smth. Drop it to D.
:Ninetales-Alola: See above.
:Obstagoon: What. Why would I ever run this over over a better offensive normal. The answer is Chople Counter. So yeah idk ig that’s smth but it’s still super awkward.
:Pincurchin: Stats are ass but terrain Rising Voltage can nab some suprise KOs. Couple this w/ water coverage, I actually think Pincurchin deserves C- -> C
:Reuniclus: Outdone at every facet. Stall mon has better options. I doubt anyone vouched for it as an offensive mon but regardless it’s now outclassed at that as well. New addition of Slowbro made a Double Boost Stored Power set completly obsolete. UR
:Scrafty: Hasn’t been useful since Sable meta. It’s now super outdone both as counter cheese and offensively by Ursi. UR
:Virizion: Can very reasonably tank a PZ Hyper Beam and actually nabs some notable MUs such as Lax and Prim. Would actually nom this C- -> C
:Weavile: Still isn’t outdone at pure Pressure stall since Corv is slower and thus Band Darm-G food. Pure Pressure stall is super wack in this meta but nothing does it better and Weavile can cheese some stall mons such as Chansey.

Ok so D is also quite inflated w/ random malarkey so expect a post in the coming days but for now it is late and I must sleep. Peace.

Last edited:
Ok something I feel personally has been overlooked for a while is the C and below section of the VR. Generally we just sort mons that may eventually find a niche or mons that already have a niche, albeit a middling niche, into somewhere in C. I feel generally this list is glossed over unless a mon finds a niche that may move up a rank. This usually leads to a lot of mons that just aren’t worthwhile anymore sitting around somewhere in C. To try and resolve this issue I am doing:
THE C PURGE
I’ll be going over every mon currently residing in C and saying where I think they belong and why. (not a lot of actual purging until later tho)

:Bewear: Bewear is basically a worse Diggersby/Darm-G but it’s distiction from the two is beating Diggersby/Dark-G. I think it belongs here for that small edge over its contemporaries.
:Blastoise: A really gimmicky mon notable for having CounterCoat and Shell Smash. Its pretty bad stats hold it back but it’s definitely unmatched at what it does, albeit what it does isn’t that noteworthy.
:Duraludon: Mon lost its already dwindling usefulness when fairies no longer ruled in addition to the fact that other mons it liked to beat such as Corv are also falling off. Couple this w/ its atrocious spdef and recent better alternative Zone you’re going to have a rough time justifying this thing is anything outside of “worse Zone that’s a dragon.” C+ -> C-
:Ferrothorn: Constantly struggling to find a reason to use this over other stall mons and I don’t think DLC has really helped or hurt it. Always in a spot of mediocrity. C+ -> C
:Golisopod: This thing’s glory days are long over. I managed to peak ladder during Mimi meta using a team of Goli/Dural/Hydregion which looking at it now has aged incredibly poorly. This mon stuck around as a good Mimi check before Charm rose to prominence and of course really early meta was a Mew check. However, Goli has not really found anything outside of checking brokens. Sure, its monstrous physical bulk lets it beat the sturdies not named Zone assuming you run Charti but it has almost nothing outside of that. It’s one of the more reliable sturdy cheese mons but that’s becoming less and less impressive especially considering Zone is now a presence. I wouldn’t necessarily put it any lower but the mon has seen better times.
:Grimmsnarl: Super ugly mon held back by atrocious stats and typing is never really helpful, usually a detriment. C+ -> C
:Gyarados: Just a unique case of a shit ton of good tools that don’t really come together to form a super noteworthy niche. By no means bad, just middling.

:Marowak: Basically its counterpart w/ a worse typing that’s situational. Makes sense here.
:Milotic: Primarina if you want to cheese a special attack w/ Mirror Coat. Moving on.
:Scizor: Nothing else really threatens BPs that strong in addition to Scizor getting Counter+SD it’s like marginally usable.
:Talonflame: Weaker than Thwackey but it’s like somewhat decent at MU fishing since some teams just don’t account for priority flying moves.
:Toxtricity: If you want a frail strong specs attacker that beats fairies use Toxtricity, the CHAD fairy beater. Also gets options such as Acid Spray which are nice.
:Tyranitar: Typing is just very wack for 1v1. Very customizable however and Chople is fine.
Going to ignore new mons since those really are just settling in and I don’t really have qualms w/ their current placing.
:Excadrill: The second Mimi was removed this mon lost its niche. It has devolved to a Sturdy/Rotom beater. I strongly feel that you have much stronger options such as Gastro and Meowstic. If your goal is winning games, I strongly advise against using Exca. C -> UR
:Indeedee: Supposed to be doing drops not rises dammit. Got 120 BP STAB move but those stats are super bad makijg Indeedee unsalvagely frail. Dies to a stray bullet and PZ is starting to tank Expanding Force (252 SpA Indeedee Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Porygon-Z in Psychic Terrain: 277-327 (89 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO) so C -> C+ seems reasonable considering nothing else really outdoes it at Psychic attacks.
:Keldeo: Typing isn’t even exclusive anymore but it gets a faster Taunt than Ursi so yay! Still pretty outdone by Ursi for the most part.
:Meowstic: If you can avoid the crit this mon is a stall monster still and it’s a stall monster that beats Rotoms which is neat. I actually still see success w/ Meowstic and would move towards a rise C -> C+.
:Rotom-Mow: Rotom that sacrifices a shit ton of MUs so you can beat your mortal enemy Gastro. Not much more to say.
:Pyukumuku: CounterCoat w/ Spite. Nothing else does it, but why would they want to.
:Terrakion: Falls short of being bulky or strong enough to pull most MUs w/o super effective moves off. Rock/Fighting isn’t seen elsewhere and Terrak still isn’t weak but far from anything but niche.
:Togedemaru: Really good if you’re really lucky. Elsewise very mid but fastest Sturdy and Nuzzle is super annoying, especially to other sturdies.
:Type-Null: Straight up outclassed by other options but it can’t be crit which is something you just can’t say about the other.
:Vaporeon: Ugly snake mon. It has sleep over its much better friend Prim unless you’re nolenot in which case you always get 3 turns of sleep so for him it’s slightly better Prim.
:Weezing-Galar: Ability is nice for some MUs but it’s just pitifully weak. Speed tier ain’t helping either. I would recommend other Sturdy cheese.
Now it’s time to get down to business.
:Alcremie: Alcremie is worse than Arom in basically every way but you can beat Vish w/ Baby Doll Eyes which is super not noteworthy but something.
:Araquanid: SUPER OUTCLASSED. Goli does a better job at having its typing and most water mons perform wayyyy better than it. Doesn’t even have Mirror Coat to its name since Milo does that way better. UR
:Braviary: Has nothing over other Flyings especially now that we have Talon/Skarm. UR
:Clefable: Can still run like hella lure sets so it can chill here.
:Copperajah: Does nothing over other way better steels. UR
:Gigalith: Can’t think of anything this mon does over Crustle. UR
:Hatterene: I think personally it’s super bad and a mon you should only ever use if you are okay w/ losing. Nothing else gets bounce ig so put it in D
:Hippowdon: Why would you run this over Diggersby. Yawn and Curse is the immediate response but does very little imo and generally I would rather run one of Krook, Maro, or Diggersby before Hippo. Ig you can’t deny it has Yawn but still this mon is super wack, put it in D.
:Hitmonlee: Better sturdy/PZ cheese exists, namely Togedemaru if you really want to beat sturdies/PZ. UR
:Malamar: Stall beater that beats the stall birds isn’t impressive when Rotoms exist. UR
:Mamoswine: Doesn’t really have anything going for it. UR
:Ninetales: Walking 50/50. While it’s something, it’s a really bad smth. Drop it to D.
:Ninetales-Alola: See above.
:Obstagoon: What. Why would I ever run this over over a better offensive normal. The answer is Chople Counter. So yeah idk ig that’s smth but it’s still super awkward.
:Pincurchin: Stats are ass but terrain Rising Voltage can nab some suprise KOs. Couple this w/ water coverage, I actually think Pincurchin deserves C- -> C
:Reuniclus: Outdone at every facet. Stall mon has better options. I doubt anyone vouched for it as an offensive mon but regardless it’s now outclassed at that as well. New addition of Slowbro made a Double Boost Stored Power set completly obsolete. UR
:Scrafty: Hasn’t been useful since Sable meta. It’s now super outdone both as counter cheese and offensively by Ursi. UR
:Virizion: Can very reasonably tank a PZ Hyper Beam and actually nabs some notable MUs such as Lax and Prim. Would actually nom this C- -> C
:Weavile: Still isn’t outdone at pure Pressure stall since Corv is slower and thus Band Darm-G food. Pure Pressure stall is super wack in this meta but nothing does it better and Weavile can cheese some stall mons such as Chansey.

Ok so D is also quite inflated w/ random malarkey so expect a post in the coming days but for now it is late and I must sleep. Peace.
Bewear has othere viable sets and more potential than band goes brr,it has very solid defensive stats and fire types are not very common nowadays
Even band has certain niches however,being able to reliably beat stuff like haxorus,snorlax and dracovish.Could definitely see it rise.

Ferrothorn's unique typing allows it to be a stall mon that beats fairies not called sylveon (babiri mystical fire) + its also a steel type so bye bye pz
it can also viably run band.Could also see it rise although scizor's generally better.

Golisopod can viably run charti / av and can net a surprising amount of matchups,most notably pz and prima,while sitrus can take care of dragons paired with leech life and aqua jet (and it can also beat hydreigon).Could rise.

Grimmsnarl's typing is amazing,the sucker punch set beats every psychic type not named dazzling gleam indeedee,while also being a fairy and bulking it physically can take care of dragons while ALSO being able to stallbreak with taunt.DLC did take a toll on this beauty but its still definitely not worthy of a drop.Could rise.

Marowak needs to drop, it is a D rank mon at best,i really cant thing of anything it does better than alolawak off the top of my head

Milotic has a lot more potential than just beating prima,it is super good anti meta rn since competitive beats metal sound zone while flame orb beats pretty much most physical attackers while still having access to mirror coat,its pretty fine where it is.

Scizor is super deserving of a rise,it can win so many matchups depending on your moves (laser focus + sd beats gastrodon and cursola,bug bite + bp + roost generally beats most physical attackers that arent steel types and even some sort of idef / sd or curse set can easily prey on matchups like kommo-o.The only thing holding this mon back is that it has to run occa berry to win most of his typing matchups due to its atrocious speed and also the fact that it cant beat galarm without band,losing many of its other mus in the process.One of my personal favourite dlc mons.Should rise to b- at least.

Talonflame is unfortunately really trash and should drop,its typing + gale wings nerf prevent it from running anything other than band and the pokemon band is supposeed to beat ( urshifu and pz) can actually live a hit from it.Drop it.

Toxtricity also needs to rise post dlc,its typing is great and it can lure in pz with av,while also generally beating fairies and stall mons.It does get destroyed by most physical attackers,psychic and ground types though so thats sad

Having actually used excadrill,its not THAT bad,it has a great pz matchup and it beats magnezone n shit,magearna ban really hurt its viability but its not a UR mon,probably D

Rock / Fighting is a terrible offensive typing this gen,go back to gen 7 lmao,move terrakion to D cuz its fucking useless and 90% of the other Fighting types do what it does better like yeah sure it beats pz off of typing alone but most other fighting types can either ev,run av,be sawk,or straight up ohko with mach punch from flame orb conkeldurr lmao also being weak to galarm doesnt help with your fighting type although it can beat non scarf sets.D or unranked

Null is super underrated and can actually beat quite a few mons but trick is super annoying.

Weezing-Galar's typing is beautiful but its just too weak to use it,it can neat some KOs against stuff that dont ev for it however + wisp kee berry is legit viable.

Alcremie is not worse than aromatisse because it can actually set up and beat non choiced attackers aromatisse struggles with,C is fine for it.
Araquanid is basically golisopod but it doesnt need to run AV,hits harder with water stab and loses to most physical attackers golisopod beats
AV araquanid is still super fun cuz it beats literally every special attacker that cant setup+ heal.Essentially Milotic and Golisopod in 1.

Copperajah has a great niche,being a steel type that can reliably beat most water types that dont resist Power Whip (prima,azu,etc)
while also having access to heat crash,sheer force play rough,outrage and other insane coverage options including taunt,paired with its great physical bulk.DEFINITELY not a UR mon in any way,shape or form.

Gigalith over crustle is for one simple reason:sand stream.Essentially a tyranitar that can hit almost as hard as crustle and doesnt have the useless dark typing.I wouldnt drop it to UR,just D

Most of the rest are stuff i agree with or cant bother to disagree.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)