1v1 - The Old Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
i might even wanna argue kommoo deserves b+ , it can taunt, tank boost itself then outspeed nuke things which lived the zmove. it pretty much deals with everythign that is not a fairy. not a dnite or a hard hitting icetype. it can deal with a lot of icetypes even. example you can without a problem ev it to live spec protean icebeam from greninja and pzs icebeam too. with that it has a niche over most dragontypes aswell being able to deal with stall, most icetypes and dos at the same time. its choicable immunity soundproof or bulletproof can be great too vs prankster confides or just general stuff like shadowballs from aegii. i could probably ramble on but id do that only once it is in consideration

Last edited:

pazza

Banned deucer.
I believe that i have come across the best defensive wall in the entirety of the 1v1 metagame. here:
magikarp
rip lopunny (Banette-Mega) @ Banettite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Will-O-Wisp
- whatever attacking move you currently think would be most effective
- Pain Split

It just destroys every physical attacker in the meta (as long as you can kill them before they set up. But even then, you still have Will o Wisp). Gyarados: dead. Physical KoKo: DEAD (i hope). Loppuny: Dead. Mawile: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wha-. Oh yeah, i was in the middle of a post about why magikarp should be banned Bannete. IDK where it is now in the VR, but probably not high enough. I propose C+ to B. Now i think about it, i probably should have made this post before deg updated the VR. Whatever. Credit to adfjo for errrrr. erm. Oh yeah: coming up with the set. I hope somebody (anybody please) will agree with me like they did last time(man, i was really suprised last time. I expected Mace Master or somebody to come and write a paragraph just punching flaws in my logic).
Anyway, I'm done here.
This set has already been made.

1. Banette-Mega isn't rank on the vr and shouldn't be rank, maybe it could be D.
2. Now heres why it shouldn't be on the vr, just 1 taunt and banetta is sent back to unranked where it belongs

Also if your gonna watch people to take you seriously don't write 1 line shitpost or write your post like the way you just did.Take time to write your vr posts instead of trying to get it over with and trying to "contribute." This might sound harsh but someone has to do it /shrug

Nomination time!

View attachment 113331from b to b+
mew has different sets that beat different pokemon, its most famous set is stall mew can defeat some top tier threats pokemon such as mega-gyarados, mega metagross, sturdy users which makes it better than other pokemon in the b ranks. it also has other sets such as the mewnium-z set that can also defeat another portion of the metagame. this makes mew unpredictable at team preview which is mainly a huge plus in its viability other than its sets. though it suffer against heavy hitters and faster sub and taunt users that are popular making it not fit for a- yet.

View attachment 113336from a- to a
mega venusaur should raise, its a bulky af pokemon which performs its role perfectly. it is definitely better than aegislash, mega lopunny, mmawile and mslowbro in the current metagame. it easily checks metagame threats like mega gyarados, mimikyu, zard x, zygarde-c, and can stall out magearna depending on the set. its typing alone allows it to defeat a lot of dominant pokemon which makes it easily splashable on teams that need a flat out check to these mons.

View attachment 113337from b- to b
kommo-o also deserves a raise in the vr. dragon/fighting is great and with the lowering usage of fairy-pokemon and the raise of things it beat kommo-o is in great spot in today's metagame. kommo-o certainly beats more pokemon than its buddies in b- like mega gengar, hoopa-u, and durant which are niche choices compared to kommo-o. it also pairs well with a good amount of pokemon so building around it isn't hard like other pokemon in b-.
1525166025934.png
I’m curious as to what has changed about Mew that it needs to be B+. Gojira’s Mewnium set has been around a long time, and stall Wisp Mew has been around since gen 6. Now that I’ve said that, of course, I think Mew actually is B+, mostly because of how strong stall Mew is. It’s the only viable Pokémon with access to Taunt and Amnesia. Only Mega-Sableye, Jellicent, and Mew have access to Taunt, Will-o-Wisp, and Recover. Stall Mew is a lot like Deo-D and is in some ways better even. (It’s faster and Burn is better against critical hits.)

1525166008062.png
I’d say that Aegislash and Mega-Slowbro should just drop instead of raising Mega-Venusaur. It’s very vulnerable to the things that beat stall (Sub, Belly Drum, Taunt, Crits, Z-Moves). It can very easily lose to things you’d like it to beat like Naganadel, Magearna, Magnezone, and Mega-Metagross. It’s just not as reliable, versatile, or strong as the Pokémon in A. Mega-Venusaur is as good as Mega-Charizard-Y? I don’t think so.

1525165989578.png
Kommo-o should continue to rise. Being able to run Taunt at almost no cost is very nice. It counters Mega-Gyarados very reliably and beats a lot of Pokémon that can hit it with super effective moves, like Greninja and Victini. I’d run HP Fairy if I could for this, which means it should probably be B+.

I think Mega-sceptile deserve a higher rank than D

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Rock Tomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Frenzy Plant

This is the one set I use, and as how it works, it is pretty simple in essence : Go in, mega-evolve, and Frenzy plant when you are not resisted. It hits around as hard as modest Scarf Porygon-Z, while outspeeding it thanks to 427 speed (I didn't fine-tune the EVs, keep that in mind)

It fares pretty well against Tapu Koko
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Frenzy Plant vs. 140 HP / 200 SpD Tapu Koko: 265-313 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
If Tapu koko is any less bulky, it drops dead. Also, Tapu needs the HP Ice to take Mega-sceptile down, otherwise, it loses, due to M-Sceptile outspeeding it and nailing the 2 turn KO thanks to HP ground if Koko can resist

It also does well against M-charizard, something like a 50/50. As M-sceptile outspeeds it turn 1 and can OHKO it with dragon pulse if it dares to mega-evolve, Charizard also has the option of not mega evolving turn 1 and either DD, flame charge or Rock tomb. Using Rock tomb turn 1 allows M-Sceptile to nail the 2HKO with Dragon pulse, regardless of Charizard mega-evolving or not.

I don't know if it wins against a bulky M-Gyarados, but Rock tomb > Frenzy plant looks like a solid plan regardless of Gyarados' build and also what Gyarados chose to do. As usual, Mega-Sceptile outspeed turn 1, and while it fail to nail the OHKO with Frenzy plant (but only by a hair), can still do a bit of damage while negating Gyarados' plans in the speed department and tank 1 hit (unless it's Ice Fang). The 2nd hit is the scorer here, and can only possibly fail to KO if Gyarados still doesn't mega-evolve.

Conclusion : M-Sceptile hits hard enough not to consider any mon that doesn't live his Frenzy Plant through either bulk or sturdy, and can brag about going 50/50 with some top tier threats like Bulky Koko or MegaZard-X, even offering himself the privilege to check M-Gyarados completely (but not Z-Bounce Gyarados). However, since his bulk is not the greatest, he loses vs most of the relevant mons he can't OHKO due to his weakness to Ice, and is the prey of FEAR strats (and the big brother Metal Burst/Z-STAB Sturdy).

Note : I'm new at this, so if you disagree, do it without swearing and simply explain where do you think I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I think Mega-sceptile deserve a higher rank than D

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Rock Tomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Frenzy Plant

This is the one set I use, and as how it works, it is pretty simple in essence : Go in, mega-evolve, and Frenzy plant when you are not resisted. It hits around as hard as modest Scarf Porygon-Z, while outspeeding it thanks to 427 speed (I didn't fine-tune the IVs, keep that in mind)

It fares pretty well against Tapu Koko
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Frenzy Plant vs. 140 HP / 200 SpD Tapu Koko: 265-313 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
If Tapu koko is any less bulky, it drops dead. Also, Tapu needs the HP Ice to take Mega-sceptile down, otherwise, it loses, due to M-Sceptile outspeeding it and nailing the 2 turn KO thanks to HP ground if Koko can resist

It also does well against M-charizard, something like a 50/50. As M-sceptile outspeeds it turn 1 and can OHKO it with dragon pulse if it dares to mega-evolve, Charizard also has the option of not mega evolving turn 1 and either DD, flame charge or Rock tomb. Using Rock tomb turn 1 allows M-Sceptile to nail the 2HKO with Dragon pulse, regardless of Charizard mega-evolving or not.

I don't know if it wins against a bulky M-Gyarados, but Rock tomb > Frenzy plant looks like a solid plan regardless of Gyarados' build and also what Gyarados chose to do. As usual, Mega-Sceptile outspeed turn 1, and while it fail to nail the OHKO with Frenzy plant (but only by a hair), can still do a bit of damage while negating Gyarados' plans in the speed department and tank 1 hit (unless it's Ice Fang). The 2nd hit is the scorer here, and can only possibly fail to KO if Gyarados still doesn't mega-evolve.

Conclusion : M-Sceptile hits hard enough not to consider any mon that doesn't live his Frenzy Plant through either bulk or sturdy, and can brag about going 50/50 with some top tier threats like Bulky Koko or MegaZard-X, even offering himself the privilege to check M-Gyarados completely (but not Z-Bounce Gyarados). However, since his bulk is not the greatest, he loses vs most of the relevant mons he can't OHKO due to his weakness to Ice, and is the prey of FEAR strats (and the big brother Metal Burst/Z-STAB Sturdy).

Note : I'm new at this, so if you disagree, do it without swearing and simply explain where do you think I'm wrong.
2 quick things or 3:
1. i like that post nice idea
2. its evs not ivs ^w^
3. i doubt a complete gyara check as if it doesnt mega , you frenzy and it ddances up . if youre megad to be fast youre ded to outrage and if not gyarados can still carry icefang which would hurt you fairly decently. else i like the idea of using mscept more

Corrected the silly mistake (EV/IV), thank you.

Yeah I forgot Gyara could Outrage. And therefore I'm not so sure about if there is any worth in going mega turn 1. There is still some mindgame involved then, but I'm pretty confident the matchup is in M-Sceptile's favor nonetheless.

We need to talk about EVs.
As the meta continues, our pokemon will start to get more and more calculated evs. I'm sure you're used to your basic:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

becoming into a 5 category mess like this:

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 48 Def / 156 SpA / 44 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe

First, let me explain why this is a good sign.
Wasted evs make for bad pokemon. The longer the battle, the more those ev's show their true value. Sure running +252 speed is great for speed tying pokemon of the same species: Garchomp v Garchomp, Charx v Charx, etc. but when you're trading blows in battles that take longer than 2 turns, you're going to wish you had that extra defensive ev or that little buff in attack. the 1% differences in damage grow with each turn and when you lose to an enemy that has 3% HP left, it feels bad.

So where do wasted EVs come from?
Mainly, it comes from speed. Your Deoxys speed does not need to be going as fast as possible. Look down to your nearest relevant threat on speed tiers, or even in teambuilder's list of fastest pokemon. Go one point faster than them. Your max speed Koko should look at the speeds of everything below it. Its first relevant threat is M-Gengar, an uncommon mon that already speed ties Koko, it would be at best a 50/50 on the speed tie so lets get back some speed evs and keep going lower. After passing some banned mons and pokemon that are never used, we hit Weavile: 383 Speed and a +1 Dragonite: 388 Speed. For the sake of the example, lets outspeed the dragonite by a point to make our speed 389. Thats 20 EVs saved and we lost nothing but speed tying a max 130 mon like Mega Gengar while knowing that we outspeed anything 125 base speed and lower, as well as anything base 80 at +1.

The secondary source of wasted EVs comes from misplaced natures, bulk, and controversially, from too much attack.
So when you start to realize that your evs are getting spread out, look to where your nature is.
Ask yourself these questions in this order:
1) Can I reach this stat without the nature? If no, leave the nature.
2) Do I need this stat this high? If yes, leave the nature.
3) Which *used* base stat is the highest? Try setting your nature there and see if you can hit the same stat as before. If you can't, leave the nature where it was.
4) Which stat uses the most EVs? Set the nature there just as in 3)
5) Which stat, that uses EVs or natures is the highest out of all? Try seeing if switching out a nature in the place of EVs and vice versa will save you EVs.

Next is
When you start to notice that you've invested more into your defenses than your HP without meaning to, you will likely be better off checking to see if more HP will help bring more bulk. Go into the damage calculators to figure out if having more HP will help. It's tedious to click +1 HP -1 Def +1 HP -1 Def, but at the end of the day it'll make your pokemon better. There are obscure reasons why running low HP is useful like preventing leech seed from sapping just the right amount of HP to turn the battle in your favor, maybe to make full use of your boosting moves like iron def, or maybe it is to maximize how much HP you regain from giga drain or strength sap. If this wasn't the case, go ahead and run more HP.

If your Pokemon is susceptible to burns, toxic, curse, or uses substitute, High Jump Kick, etc. then run an odd number HP stat. This will often come up by running 248 HP instead of 252, or removing that 4 HP and put it into defense or special defense. This will make your subs cost 24%, your High Jump Kicks will do 49% on a miss, burns and toxic will do less damage and so on. Pokemon that get away with using an even number of HP are Belly Drum into Sitrus berry that needs to be at 50% instead of 51% to activate the berry, or pokemon that rely on counter to do damage, etc.

There was a Gyarados set posted in the Meta Discussion that looks like this:

(creators)'s Soul (Gyarados) (M) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 88 HP / 140 Atk / 168 Def / 104 SpD / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature

after running through the nature tests I came out with:

Fresh Soul? (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 88 HP / 28 Atk / 168 Def / 104 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature

There were too many EVs in attack and a tiny boosting nature in speed. I swapped the two and got a Gyarados that is one point stronger offensively, and one point faster with 28 EVs to put where ever I want.
Next the bulk has 360 EVs invested with most of them sitting in the defenses, not helping each other out.
By cranking the EV's into HP, here is a gyarados that takes hits a fraction of a % better.

Fresh Soul (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 72 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature

Now normally you'd run it through to check if the nature is in the best spot once again but I'm satisfied where its at for the sake of the post.
This Gyarados is stronger, bulkier, and faster than the previous. It now has 68 EVs to go anywhere the user decides. (When the Gyarados Mega Evolves it is still bulkier and 8 points higher in attack)

Last edited:

ZeroPlasmaFist

Banned deucer.
We need to talk about EVs.
As the meta continues, our pokemon will start to get more and more calculated evs. I'm sure you're used to your basic:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

becoming into a 5 category mess like this:

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 48 Def / 156 SpA / 44 SpD
Quiet Nature

First, let me explain why this is a good sign.
Wasted evs make for bad pokemon. The longer the battle, the more those ev's show their true value. Sure running +252 speed is great for speed tying pokemon of the same species: Garchomp v Garchomp, Charx v Charx, etc. but when you're trading blows in battles that take longer than 2 turns, you're going to wish you had that extra defensive ev or that little buff in attack. the 1% differences in damage grow with each turn and when you lose to an enemy that has 3% HP left, it feels bad.

So where do wasted EVs come from?
Mainly, it comes from speed. Your Deoxys speed does not need to be going as fast as possible. Look down to your nearest relevant threat on speed tiers, or even in teambuilder's list of fastest pokemon. Go one point faster than them. Your max speed Koko should look at the speeds of everything below it. Its first relevant threat is M-Gengar, an uncommon mon that already speed ties Koko, it would be at best a 50/50 on the speed tie so lets get back some speed evs and keep going lower. After passing some banned mons and pokemon that are never used, we hit Weavile: 383 Speed and a +1 Dragonite: 388 Speed. For the sake of the example, lets outspeed the dragonite by a point to make our speed 389. Thats 20 EVs saved and we lost nothing but speed tying a max 130 mon like Mega Gengar while knowing that we outspeed anything 125 base speed and lower, as well as anything base 80 at +1.

The secondary source of wasted EVs comes from misplaced natures, bulk, and controversially, from too much attack.
So when you start to realize that your evs are getting spread out, look to where your nature is.
Ask yourself these questions in this order:
1) Can I reach this stat without the nature? If no, leave the nature.
2) Do I need this stat this high? If yes, leave the nature.
3) Which *used* base stat is the highest? Try setting your nature there and see if you can hit the same stat as before. If you can't, leave the nature where it was.
4) Which stat uses the most EVs? Set the nature there just as in 3)
5) Which stat, that uses EVs or natures is the highest out of all? Try seeing if switching out a nature in the place of EVs and vice versa will save you EVs.

Next is
When you start to notice that you've invested more into your defenses than your HP without meaning to, you will likely be better off checking to see if more HP will help bring more bulk. Go into the damage calculators to figure out if having more HP will help. It's tedious to click +1 HP -1 Def +1 HP -1 Def, but at the end of the day it'll make your pokemon better. There are obscure reasons why running low HP is useful like preventing leech seed from sapping just the right amount of HP to turn the battle in your favor, maybe to make full use of your boosting moves like iron def, or maybe it is to maximize how much HP you regain from giga drain or strength sap. If this wasn't the case, go ahead and run more HP.

If your Pokemon is susceptible to burns, toxic, curse, or uses substitute, High Jump Kick, etc. then run an odd number HP stat. This will often come up by running 248 HP instead of 252, or removing that 4 HP and put it into defense or special defense. This will make your subs cost 24%, your High Jump Kicks will do 49% on a miss, burns and toxic will do less damage and so on. Pokemon that get away with using an even number of HP are Belly Drum into Sitrus berry that needs to be at 50% instead of 51% to activate the berry, or pokemon that rely on counter to do damage, etc.

There was a Gyarados set posted in the Meta Discussion that looks like this:

(creators)'s Soul (Gyarados) (M) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 88 HP / 140 Atk / 168 Def / 104 SpD / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature

after running through the nature tests I came out with:

Fresh Soul? (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 88 HP / 28 Atk / 168 Def / 104 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature

There were too many EVs in attack and a tiny boosting nature in speed. I swapped the two and got a Gyarados that is one point stronger offensively, and one point faster with 28 EVs to put where ever I want.
Next the bulk has 360 EVs invested with most of them sitting in the defenses, not helping each other out.
By cranking the EV's into HP, here is a gyarados that takes hits a fraction of a % better.

Fresh Soul (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 72 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature

Now normally you'd run it through to check if the nature is in the best spot once again but I'm satisfied where its at for the sake of the post.
This Gyarados is stronger, bulkier, and faster than the previous. It now has 68 EVs to go anywhere the user decides. (When the Gyarados Mega Evolves it is still bulkier and 8 points higher in attack)
Small question: shouldn't this go in the metagame thread?

Small question: shouldn't this go in the metagame thread?
Small answer of multiple lines: This could go in the metagame thread but honestly I want this to be a resource people look at. Maybe someone could make a colorful guide, a video, or hell, even a program. I'm not skilled enough for those but its worth the idea. I am running out of things to say but I'm going to use this post to say I'm going to make a damage chart and post it in here over this summer so keep eyes peeled. Thank you.
Love,
Chris

ZeroPlasmaFist

Banned deucer.
Small answer of multiple lines: This could go in the metagame thread but honestly I want this to be a resource people look at. Maybe someone could make a colorful guide, a video, or hell, even a program. I'm not skilled enough for those but its worth the idea. I am running out of things to say but I'm going to use this post to say I'm going to make a damage chart and post it in here over this summer so keep eyes peeled. Thank you.
Love,
Chris
Fair enough man.

Recapping some noms and adding 2:

Rise mew?
Mega Venusaur A- --> A
Kommo-O B- --> B

Mega Steelix to D or C-
This got almost completely ignored when I posted it so I'm bringing it back. It's an incredible tank and it has the defensive typing we needed for a while. Using this set:

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Curse

It has a niche over Aggron with Ground typing and access to Rock Blast, allowing it to take on ZardY without Will O Wisp and Jumpluff. This thing hard walls Koko completely, no matter what set Koko uses. It's also versatile like Aggron, and can choose to keep Sturdy. It beats Lele, Mawile, Gardevoir, probably Greninja, and has a 50/50 vs. Gyarados. The matchup is very similar to Gyarados vs. Landorus-T.

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 176 Def Steelix-Mega: 144-170 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Not everybody runs Adamant 252 or the special gyarados. Just watch out for Taunt.

I also have a very special nomination. Some will find this funny, others would want to slap me for this. Therefore, I'm throwing this one in a thing.
(WARNING: THIS IS ONLY A JOKE)
Staravia Unranked --> Its own "Gog" tier below DNU
Here's the set (Shoutout to VG Jungle for making this):

Gog (Staravia) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Steel Wing

A little bit of FAQ and some details about the set:

What is "Gog?" Where does it come from?
Yesterday a VR quirk was screenshotted and posted in the 1v1 room and on discord (https://gyazo.com/3b7abfb471bbdd94f79ee84e5894c8f9). I, yes I, tried to make a quick joke about "Staravia is god" but I mistyped "God" as "Gog." The phrase quickly picked up attention and became a joke when we started posting set pokepastes with Staravia in them. These sets were not serious whatsoever and featured unconventional and useless mons that hold Choice items. Some examples of these sets, or "Gog's disciples" are

-Bog, Choice Band Beheeyem with Steel Wing
-Blog, Choice Specs Bonsly
-#Swadgoals, Choice Band Swadloon
-Rog, Choice Specs Rhyhorn
-WeepinBelt, Choice Band Weepinbell
-Cog, Choice Specs Conkeldurr
-Swab, Choice Band Blissey
-Googoog, Choice Band Girafarig

The meme was revived recently today, and the Z-Crystal in the 1v1 room's room intro was replaced with a Staravia sprite.

Why should I use this set? Does it beat anything at all?
Yes of course it does! The scarf set I posted beats Mega Lopunny, Shedinja, probably Mega Venusaur, Mega Heracross, frail Alolan Ninetales, Buzzwole, Vivillon, and it even took down a Tapu Koko. Yes, you heard me. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-743375703

Ohh, Ok, I see. Where can I find Gog teams?
http://pokepast.es/712b11271b05db90
http://pokepast.es/712b11271b05db90
http://pokepast.es/7c05df7116240bd2

Thanks for reading, and have a good day.

Last edited:

pqs

Banned deucer.

Stakataka C- --> D / Unranked

This Pokemon was hyped earlier this generation, when USUM had first been speculated and came out, but, we really can't define it as good, or even worthy to be this high. This really can't beat anything. Gyarados beats it, Tapu Koko can beat it and mostly will, Dragonite can beat it, Magearna can beat it, Metagross can beat it, Mimikyu (Curse) can beat it, and dude, that 6/7 of the S/A+ rankings. I could see how it got here in the first place, since most of these sets weren't created and genuine hype, (i.e. koko, magearna)but this isn't that good anymore.
Thanks
I'm tired

pazza

Banned deucer.
17:44:56] pqs: pazzaa
[17:44:58] pqs:
post it

Sableye-Mega - B -> B+

Sableye-Mega is a great Pokemon in 1v1 and even in the competitive scene because of its stats, ability and great typing.

50 HP/125 Defense/115 Special Defense are pretty good stats for a bulky Pokemon, and with its first ability prankster it can throw off Will-O-Wisp and keep clicking Recover, Metal Burst, or Foul Play and just stall the other Pokemon out. Steel or Dark Pokemon? No problem! Sableye can just Mega Evolve, and with the granted ability Magic Bounce, it can repel status back to the user, sadly, this mechanic is ignored by Mold Breaker Pokemon like Gyarados-Mega. Its great typing only being weak to 1 Type, and being immune to 3 Types!

This is the set we'll be using
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Metal Burst
- Recover
252 HP since its hp stat isn't the best
116 SpD to make sure gene gets the +1 in atk
140 Def this is the remaining EVs

What can Sableye beat most of the time?
(X)
1525643285400.png
1525643345237.png
1525643382083.png
1525643473931.png
uh im too lazy to put down EVERY sprite of whatever it beats but if u want me to write it down then ask ;o
What does Sableye lose to most of the time?
(Y)
most darks rof

Landon

im in that tonka
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
"She" has Risen
1525745428757.png

It's finally time I posted about this brute-in-disguise. Sometime around the beginning of Gen 7 1v1, I made a Z Meloetta set. It basically sat in my builder unused. I think I got the idea from Osra a while back. Around a couple weeks ago, I decided to try out the Z set. I loved the idea of it, and ran some calcs. I came up with two sets and on paper they seemed so good. Now, time to delve right into the sets and why I think it should be ranked higher.
648.png
B -> B+ or A-

Specially Defensive
Meloetta @ Normalium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 160 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Beam
- Uproar / Psyshock / Shadow Ball / Laser Focus
- Shadow Ball / Psyshock / Uproar / Laser Focus
For the first set we have specially defensive Meloetta. Let me explain the evs. 252 HP + 160 SpD lets it tank a Timid, +2, max Spatk, Tapu Koko after one Calm Mind. I put 16 Speed evs to let it outpace Magnezone. The rest was thrown into SpA. While utilizing Calm Mind + a effective Z-Move it is able to take out many top threats in the tier. I do prefer the defensive variant of this set, as it is able to beat more. Some of the Pokemon I should mention that the SpD set beats are, Gardevoir-M, Magnezone, depending on how they play, and Specs P-Z.
Here is a list of Pokemon S-B that SpD Meloetta beats most of the time or all of the time ->
1525746204376.png
1525746262264.png
1525746273227.png
1525746356397.png
1525746410599.png
1525746429355.png
1525746440336.png
1525746453297.png
1525746465789.png
1525746472753.png
1525746506545.png
1525746514153.png
1525746523133.png
1525746532469.png
1525746541001.png
1525746549512.png
1525746557626.png
1525746569854.png
1525746576938.png
1525746587216.png
1525746600897.png
1525746615258.png
1525746623112.png

This set in particular is beating 23/44 -> 52% of Pokemon S-B tier. Additionally it beats 65/114 -> 57% of total Pokemon currently on the VR.

Physically Defensive
Meloetta @ Normalium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpA / 20 / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Calm Mind
- Uproar / Psyshock / Shadow Ball / Laser Focus
- Psyshock / Uproar / Shadow Ball / Laser Focus
This is my personal favorite set. This set is capable of beating a lot more than the SpD set mentioned above. First off let me explain the evs. 204 HP + 252 Def allows Meloetta to tank a Adamant, Lopunny-M Fake Out + Giga Impact. The Meloetta is also capable of tanking on many physical attackers like, max atk, Adamant, Lando-T and Donphan. Again the 20 Spe evs is to outpace max speed Magnezone, but on this set I also included 52. 52 Spe allows Meloetta to ouspeed 8 Spe Zygarde. If you choose to run the 52 Spe, then you will lose 32 SpA evs. You aren't missing out on any kills that I know of, so I would recommend the 52 speed set.
List of Pokemon that Def Meloetta beats most of the time or all of the time S-B ->
1525748813442.png
1525748821061.png
1525748827030.png
1525748909352.png
1525748920290.png
1525748951368.png
1525748942534.png
1525748968333.png
1525748974824.png
1525748983999.png
1525748991679.png
1525748998501.png
1525749029260.png
1525749037785.png
1525749049990.png
1525749057815.png
1525749064210.png
1525749070123.png
1525749076780.png
1525749083989.png
1525749092065.png
1525749099419.png
1525749105499.png
1525749111333.png
1525749146997.png
1525749155658.png
1525749162294.png
1525749169037.png

The Def set beats 28/44 -> 64% of Pokemon S-B tier. Additionally it beats 75/114 -> 66% of total Pokemon on the current VR. Sidenote: Gyarados-M isn't always a win. If they carry Crunch or flinch you they can easily defeat any of the 2 sets. Sableye-M can also win by running Taunt or Snarl.
+2 252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 160 SpD Meloetta in Electric Terrain: 348-409 (86.1 - 101.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
----------
252+ SpA Magnezone Electroweb vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Meloetta: 70-84 (17.3 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Gigavolt Havoc (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Meloetta: 243-286 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80+ SpA Meloetta Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 170-201 (60.4 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80+ SpA Meloetta Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 128-151 (45.5 - 53.7%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO
Def Melo wins this too
----------
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 327-385 (83.4 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
32+ SpA Meloetta Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 361-426 (113.1 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
----------
252+ Atk Lopunny-Mega Fake Out vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 70-84 (17.8 - 21.4%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Lopunny-Mega Giga Impact vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 261-307 (66.5 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
----------
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Meloetta: 358-422 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
----------
252+ Atk Donphan Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 285-336 (72.7 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Donphan Ice Shard vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 43-51 (10.9 - 13%) -- possible 8HKO
----------
252+ Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 318-375 (81.1 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
----------
252 Atk Kartana Bloom Doom (175 BP) vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 342-403 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
32+ SpA Meloetta Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 360-425 (138.4 - 163.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
----------
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 204 HP / 252 Def Meloetta: 313-369 (79.8 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
----------

All in all, I think this Pokemon deserves a higher spot in the rankings. It has two sets that can beat well over half the tier and most of the better Pokemon in the tier. It is also a unexpected set, as most people are expecting it to be Specs or maybe even Scarf now. I can't tell you how many good teams I've 3-0 in my experience using this mon. Since I have started using it, I've seen many other players start using the set. It proved to be a great asset to any team, as it was on a couple of my squads that got me to 1800s on the 1v1 ladder.

Usage Stats
March - 62 | Meloetta | 1.09496% | 3262 | 0.669% | 1240 | 1.553%
April - 34 | Meloetta | 2.82623% | 5597 | 0.921% | 2082 | 2.088%​

Turns out I don't have many cool replays. :( Here is some:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-736241264
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-732850649
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-735255874

Last edited:
Alright, so i've been using the fallen king of ORAS OU, and well, this thing

Is actually pretty good.

So, I nominate Talonflame for at LEAST a C+ rank.

Let's get into this, shall we?

Alright, so first off: What separates Talonflame from The Charizards?

Answer: Gale Wings

Gale Wings is basically the main thing of what makes Talonflame so great. Have a +1 priority nuke to deal with threats like Porygon Z, Greninja, and Lopunny is simply amazing in a tier where high speed mons are everywhere. Besides Gale Wings, Talonflame has a pretty good movepool, consisting of moves such as Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Taunt, Will-O-Wisp and Roost, which allows it to act in several different roles. Usually, Talonflame is ran offensively, but if played right, it can act as a defensive mon as well, being able to deal with one of the most frustrating to get around strats in 1v1: counter mons. Having access to will-o-wisp allows you to burn the mon, then roost/protect stall it until it's in range of your Z Brave Bird. Talonflame can also beat some of its 'checks' with it's nuke and proper play, being able to straight OHKO Greninja and Keldeo, which usually beat fire types. Even scarf varients can't beat flame because of Flyinium being Priority.

Noteable Checks/Counters:
FEAR in general: unless you're running taunt, or you can burn something with flare blitz, Fear is most likely going to win against Talonflame

Quagsire: This gets a shoutout for being annoying in particular, as Talonflame can actually trash a few water types, such as Greninja and Keldeo. This thing however, runs Max Defense Max hp 90% of the time, causing Talonflame's Z Brave Bird to do about 50%, which it can just recover off. That or it'll just 2HKO you with scald. Overall, one of the biggest issues for Talonflame

Bulky Water types: This one is a no brainer. Mons such as Mega Gyarados and Tapu Fini eat anything Talonflame has to dish out and then proceeds to eat Talonflame with it's water stab. Gyarados gets a special mention here with it's pre-mega ability. Intimidate weakens Talonflames only way of beating it, it's 190 base power Skystrike. Besides that, Mega Gyarados is also pretty bulky, which allows Gyarados to eat anything Talonflame can throw at it.

Heatran: Resists Talonflame's Z move, and just absorbs it's other stab. However, Talonflame can run a lure set to just kill Heatran using Natural Gift and an Apicot Berry, but it isn't very practical and overall Flynium is better.

Fat Pokemon that can live a hit and hit back: This list includes, but is definitely not limited to: Swampert, Mega Aggron, Aegislash (king shield special attacker), and Mega Gyarados.

Faster Pokemon that threaten it: Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny (if you're not running protect) and other faster Talonflame can pretty much dispose of Talonflame easily with that mediocre at best bulk.

Sturdy pokemon: Donphan is the bane of this things existance, par if you're running Willowisp and you play it right, you can beat Donphan.

Good Teammates:
Offensive Grass Types: Pokemon such as Serperior (actually pretty good at helping flame) and Kartana cause water types to be a little less likely to be chosen, which allows Talonflame to put in work.
Keldeo: Keldeo is one of the best pokemon to deal with Talonflame's answers in Gyarados, Scarf Varients of Excadrill, and Heatran, being able to firmly deal with them or scare your opponent into choosing a Talonflame weak pokemon.
Mega Gyarados: Suprise Suprise, Talonflame's worst enemy is also it's best friend. Mold Breaker allows you to deal with the sturdy dudes as well as scare them from choosing a Mega Gyarados of their own.

Replays Showing Talonflame at Work:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747000333
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747005297
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747006572
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747010423
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747015041

Sets:
Offensive-
Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Protect/Will-O-Wisp

Defensive- Allows you to handle threats on a defensive team with a pretty good defensive typing, sporting
Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Protect/Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Mega Gyarados Lure- Burn it turn 1, then bugium it into next week.
Talonflame @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

MaceMaster™-Another Offensive Talonflame
Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 164 HP / 164 Atk / 132 Def / 48 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
- Roost / Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance

So in conclusion, I feel through the evidence given, Talonflame is a noteable, yet very niche threat in the 1v1 metagame, therefore, making it deserving of C+ rank (or B- if people start to diversify the sets) but C+ for now.

Edit: added the MaceMaster™ Talonflame set to the set list :D (Thanks Mace for passing me the set :D <3)
Edit 2: Realized Koko is gone, so that makes ole' Captain Falcon a little bit better :)

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi

Magneton Unranked --> at least C-

Magneton has the speed to beat adamant gyara, and then do literally everything that magnezone can do.

Gorgon (Magneton) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Zap Cannon
- Electroweb
- Hidden Power Ice/Grass/Ground
- Metal Sound

This set is amazing and can beat more than 50% of the ranked mons, even certain sets of mons like venusaur and chansey. This is really just a better magnezone.

I would write more but its late and i have finals to prep for

Landon

im in that tonka
Alright, so i've been using the fallen king of ORAS OU, and well, this thing

Is actually pretty good.

So, I nominate Talonflame for at LEAST a C+ rank.

Let's get into this, shall we?

Alright, so first off: What separates Talonflame from The Charizards?

Answer: Gale Wings

Gale Wings is basically the main thing of what makes Talonflame so great. Have a +1 priority nuke to deal with threats like Porygon Z, Greninja, and Lopunny is simply amazing in a tier where high speed mons are everywhere. Besides Gale Wings, Talonflame has a pretty good movepool, consisting of moves such as Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Taunt, Will-O-Wisp and Roost, which allows it to act in several different roles. Usually, Talonflame is ran offensively, but if played right, it can act as a defensive mon as well, being able to deal with one of the most frustrating to get around strats in 1v1: counter mons. Having access to will-o-wisp allows you to burn the mon, then roost/protect stall it until it's in range of your Z Brave Bird. Talonflame can also beat some of its 'checks' with it's nuke and proper play, being able to straight OHKO Greninja and Keldeo, which usually beat fire types. Even scarf varients can't beat flame because of Flyinium being Priority.

Noteable Checks/Counters:
FEAR in general: unless you're running taunt, or you can burn something with flare blitz, Fear is most likely going to win against Talonflame

Quagsire: This gets a shoutout for being annoying in particular, as Talonflame can actually trash a few water types, such as Greninja and Keldeo. This thing however, runs Max Defense Max hp 90% of the time, causing Talonflame's Z Brave Bird to do about 50%, which it can just recover off. That or it'll just 2HKO you with scald. Overall, one of the biggest issues for Talonflame

Bulky Water types: This one is a no brainer. Mons such as Mega Gyarados and Tapu Fini eat anything Talonflame has to dish out and then proceeds to eat Talonflame with it's water stab. Gyarados gets a special mention here with it's pre-mega ability. Intimidate weakens Talonflames only way of beating it, it's 190 base power Skystrike. Besides that, Mega Gyarados is also pretty bulky, which allows Gyarados to eat anything Talonflame can throw at it.

Heatran: Resists Talonflame's Z move, and just absorbs it's other stab. However, Talonflame can run a lure set to just kill Heatran using Natural Gift and an Apicot Berry, but it isn't very practical and overall Flynium is better.

Fat Pokemon that can live a hit and hit back: This list includes, but is definitely not limited to: Swampert, Mega Aggron, Aegislash (king shield special attacker), and Mega Gyarados.

Faster Pokemon that threaten it: Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny (if you're not running protect) and other faster Talonflame can pretty much dispose of Talonflame easily with that mediocre at best bulk.

Sturdy pokemon: Donphan is the bane of this things existance, par if you're running Willowisp and you play it right, you can beat Donphan.

Good Teammates:
Offensive Grass Types: Pokemon such as Serperior (actually pretty good at helping flame) and Kartana cause water types to be a little less likely to be chosen, which allows Talonflame to put in work.
Keldeo: Keldeo is one of the best pokemon to deal with Talonflame's answers in Gyarados, Scarf Varients of Excadrill, and Heatran, being able to firmly deal with them or scare your opponent into choosing a Talonflame weak pokemon.
Mega Gyarados: Suprise Suprise, Talonflame's worst enemy is also it's best friend. Mold Breaker allows you to deal with the sturdy dudes as well as scare them from choosing a Mega Gyarados of their own.

Replays Showing Talonflame at Work:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747000333
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747005297
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747006572
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747010423
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-747015041

Sets:
Offensive-
Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Protect/Will-O-Wisp

Defensive- Allows you to handle threats on a defensive team with a pretty good defensive typing, sporting
Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Protect/Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Mega Gyarados Lure- Burn it turn 1, then bugium it into next week.
Talonflame @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

So in conclusion, I feel through the evidence given, Talonflame is a noteable, yet very niche threat in the 1v1 metagame, therefore, making it deserving of C+ rank (or B- if people start to diversify the sets) but C+ for now.
Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
I also think Talonflame should be on the VR, as it beats some decent threats in the meta and is a versatile and neat Pokemon.
This set allows it to beat Charizard-X. You can also run Bulk Up with really no bulk at all to also beat Charizard X.
hi

Magneton Unranked --> at least C-

Magneton has the speed to beat adamant gyara, and then do literally everything that magnezone can do.

Gorgon (Magneton) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Zap Cannon
- Electroweb
- Hidden Power Ice/Grass/Ground
- Metal Sound

This set is amazing and can beat more than 50% of the ranked mons, even certain sets of mons like venusaur and chansey. This is really just a better magnezone.

I would write more but its late and i have finals to prep for
I also agree with the ranking of Magneton. Magneton has the great ability to beat non-Jolly, Gyarados-M. It pretty much does the same things as Magnezone, while having the ability to beat Gyarados-M. It sacks some fire power for a handy amount of speed. I'd also like to say running Protect is a nice option on it as well.

Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
I also think Talonflame should be on the VR, as it beats some decent threats in the meta and is a versatile and neat Pokemon.
This set allows it to beat Charizard-X. You can also run Bulk Up with really no bulk at all to also beat Charizard X.

I also agree with the ranking of Magneton. Magneton has the great ability to beat non-Jolly, Gyarados-M. It pretty much does the same things as Magnezone, while having the ability to beat Gyarados-M. It sacks some fire power for a handy amount of speed. I'd also like to say running Protect is a nice option on it as well.
lol MaceMaster legit passed me the set 5 minutes ago and i updated my post :D but thanks for the set (again) and the support, fren :D

Okay, some calls for changes in VR.....

1) Necrozma from B to B+

Necrozma @ Choice Specs
A) Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 212 HP / 240 Def / 56 SpA
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Photon Geyser
- Prismatic Laser
- Signal Beam

B) Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 12 SpA / 140 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power

What Necrozma beats from the VR:

S Rank
Gyarados-Mega [Wins against both sets]
Tapu Koko
[ROF, banned]

[0/1]

A+ Rank
Charizard-Mega-X [Beat by both Stored Power and Choice Specs set] (1)
Dragonite[Beat by Stored Power set, not by Choice Specs tho] (2)
Magearna [Flimsily countered by Choice Specs, more reliably countered by Stored Power set] (3)
Metagross-Mega [Countered by both sets] (4)
Mimikyu [TWaveCurseKyu counters Necrozma, but otherwise Choice Specs should counter Mimikyu] (5)

[5/5]
A Rank

Charizard-Mega-Y [Both sets lose since Mega Charizard-Y outspeeds and KOs]
Landorus-Therian [Choice Specs match-up is prediction based on Sub/not Sub on Landorus-T, but Stored Power counters more reliably] (6)
Snorlax [Luck based for Stored Power set, no chance for Choice Specs set unless turn 1 wake]
Tapu Lele [Beat by Stored Power set, wins Choice Specs] (7)
Zygarde-Complete [Beat by both sets] (8)

[3/5]

A- Rank
Aegislash [Beats Choice Specs set, Stored Power wins unless Aegislash has Metal Sound] (9)
Genesect [Choice Specs loses, Stored Power set wins] (10)
Lopunny-Mega[Beat by both sets, unless Lopunny doesn't Mega, and uses Laser Focus] (11)
Magnezone[Metal Sound and Mirror Coat exists, so both sets get countered by Magnezone]
Mawile-Mega [Both sets wins, with Choice Specs based on a roll in favor of Necrozma] (12)
Porygon-Z [PZ beats Choice Specs Necrozma, loses to Stored Power sets unless Dark-type Z-Conversion] (13)
Slowbro-Mega[Beat by Stored Power set, not by Choice Specs set] (14)
Venusaur-Mega[Beat by both sets] (15)

[7/8]

B+ Rank
Aggron-Mega [Beat by Choice Specs set] (16)
Blaziken [Beat by both sets] (17)
Donphan [Beat by both sets] (18)
Gardevoir-Mega [Beat by Stored Power set, unless Disable-Encore] (19)
Golem [Beat by both sets] (20)
Greninja [Beat by Choice Specs set, wins against Stored Power] (21)
Jumpluff [Wins against both sets, unless Sleep Powder misses]
Naganadel [Beat by both sets] (22)
Pinsir-Mega [Beat by both sets] (23)
Primarina [Beat by Stored Power set, wins against Choice Specs] (24)
Tapu Fini [Beat by Stored Power set unless Taunt, loses to Choice Specs]

[9/11]

B Rank
Altaria-Mega [Beat by both sets] (25)
Chansey [Wins against both sets]
Ferrothorn [Beat by both sets] (26)
Garchomp [Necrozma can win if it predicts Choice Band vs ZChomp for Choice Specs set{on whether to use Photon Geyser or not}, and beat by Stored Power set] (27)
Heatran [Beat by Stored Power set, wins against Choice Specs] (28)
Heracross-Mega [Beat by both sets] (29)
Kartana [Beat by both sets] (30)
Meloetta [Wins against both sets]
Mew[Wins against both sets]
Necrozma [No comments]
Sableye-Mega [Wins against both sets]
Sawk [Beat by both sets] (31)
Tyranitar-Mega [Wins against both sets]

[7/13]

B- Rank
Blastoise-Mega [Beat by both sets] (32)
Blissey [Wins against both sets]
Buzzwole [Beat by both sets] (33)
Celesteela [Beat by Stored Power set, wins against Choice Specs] (34)
Crustle [Beat by both sets] (35)
Diancie-Mega [Beat by both sets] (36)
Durant [Beat by both sets] (37)
Gengar-Mega [Wins against both sets]
Hoopa-Unbound[Wins against Stored Power set, beat by Choice Specs] (38)
Kommo-o [Beat by both sets] (39)
Swampert-Mega [Beat by both sets] (40)
Togekiss [Beat by both sets] (41)
Whimsicott [Wins against both sets]

[10/13]

C+ Rank
Archeops [31.3% chance to win against Stored Power, no chance of winning against Choice Specs] (42)
Avalugg [Beat by both sets] (43)
Camerupt-Mega [Beat by Stored Power, wins against Choice Specs] (44)
Carracosta [Beat by both sets] (45)
Excadrill [Beat by both sets] (46)
Gallade-Mega [Beat by both sets, unless Disable-Encore] (47)
Latios [Wins against both sets]
Lucario-Mega [Beat by both sets] (48)
Marowak-Alola [Beat by both sets] (49)
Medicham-Mega [Beat by both sets] (50)
Pheromosa [Beat by Stored Power, wins against Choice Specs] (51)
Porygon2 [Wins against Choice Specs, beat by Stored Power] (52)
Scizor-Mega [Beat by Choice Specs, loses to Stored Power because Bug Bite eats Sitrus Berry Away ;-;] (53)
Tapu Bulu [Wins against both sets]
Terrakion [Beat by both sets] (54)
Umbreon [Wins against both sets]
Victini [Beat by Stored Power set] (55)
Volcarona [Wins against both sets]

[14/18]

C Rank
Blacephalon [Wins against both sets]
Deoxys-S [Wins against both sets]
Entei [Beat by both sets] (56)
Garchomp-Mega [Beat by Stored Power set] (57)
Haxorus [Beat by both sets] (58)
Hydreigon [Wins against both sets]
Infernape [Beat by both sets] (59)
Keldeo [Beat by both sets] (60)
Landorus [Both sets win, Choice Specs set win based on prediction of Sub/no Sub]
Latias-Mega [Wins against both sets]
Nihilego [Between Sub and Acid Spray, wins against both sets]
Ninetales-Alola [Wins against both sets]
Pidgeot-Mega [Beat by both sets] (61)
Relicanth [Beat by both sets] (62)
Thundurus-Therian [Beat by both sets] (63)

[6/15]

C-Rank
Hitmonlee [Beat by both sets] (64)
Manectric-Mega [Beat by both sets] (65)
Pyukumuku [Wins against both sets]
Quagsire [Wins against both sets]
Rhyperior {Beat by Stored Power set, wins against Choice Specs
Serperior [Wins against both sets]
Salazzle [Beat by both set, unless Disable-Encore, which is the most used strat]
Skarmory [Beat by both sets] (66)
Stakataka [Beat by both sets] (67)
Suicune [Wins against both sets]

[4/10]

D Rank
Abomasnow-Mega [Beat by both sets] (68)
Alakazam-Mega [Wins against both sets]
Aron [Beat by Choice Specs, wins against Stored Power] (69)
Azumarill [Beat by both sets] (70)
Barbaracle [Beat by both sets] (71)
Clefable [50/50s vs Choice Specs, wins against Stored Power]
Dusclops [Wins against Choice Specs, beat by Stored Power] (72)
Sceptile [Beat by both sets] (73)
Slaking [Beat by both sets] (74)
Smeargle [Wins against both sets, unless turn1 wake]
Stunfisk [Beat by both sets] (75)
Type: Null [Wins against both sets]
Vivillon [Wins against both sets]
Volcanion [Beat by both sets] (76)

[8/14]

It totally beats 76 out of 113 Pokemon in the VR, and the other Pokemon (barring Dark types) can be handled by shifting some EVS here and there on Necrozma. It is a very versatile Pokemon. It gets access to Swords Dance as well (if that means anything), which helps in beating Meloetta, Mega Gyarados, Chansey, Blissey, and Pyukumuku, . So I see it to be fitting in B+, or even A- .

2) Manaphy from Unranked -> B-

A) Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 SpA
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Hyper Beam

What this beats:

B)
Manaphy @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 216 HP / 184 Def / 108 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Acid Armor
- Rest
- Tail Glow

What this beats:

Beats a good proportion of the meta, no idea why it is not ranked. I recommend it to be B- to start with, and see how it fits into the scheme of things before ranking it higher.

3) Mawile-Mega from A- to B or B-

Mawile Mega was good last gen for being able to tank hits. This gen, it can't tank decent ZMoves at all, and fails to beat many. For example, it loses to (0/1) of S rank Pokemon, (5/5) A+ rank Pokemon, (3/5) A rank pokemon, (5/8) of A rank Pokemon, (8/11) of B+ rank, (4/13) B rank Pokemon, (3/13) B- rank Pokemon, (6/18) C+ rank Pokemon, (8/15) C rank Pokemon, (7/10) C- rank Pokemon. And it has seen a fall in usage save for those who still use ELO Bandit's team. So, I strongly recommend it be fall to B- or B, where it is able to beat a competent percent of the rank.

Time for a quick nom myself.

Azurmarill --> C- or C rank
Azumarill @ Choice Band / Assualt Vest / Fairium Z
Ability : Huge Power / Sap Sipper / Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def or a more bulky Thick Fat / Sap Sipper set with max Def. investment
-Play Rough
-Liquidation
-Aqua Jet
-Superpower / Whatever

This thing can eat Zard X for breakfast, handles Zard Y, Play Rough can OHKO Gyra-M lacking EQ, and can dispatch A+ or A ranks like Dnite or Lando. It's versatility is amazing as all three of it's abilities help it differently, Huge Power a behemoth attacker, Thick Fat to eat the Zards, and Sap Sipper for that Grass weakness.

That being said, Azu is dispatched easily by Koko and Electrics, as well as Lax and Magearna, and Bulu unless it’s got Sap Sipper. It’s really only good against some top meta threats but anything it doesn’t expect can wall and kill it. EQ from any invested mon is an OHKO. So I feel that Azu’s not deserving of a B rank, it should get at least a C- or C. Surely it shouldn’t be in a rank with Smeargle and a FEAR mon.

I don’t have calcs yet but I’ll post some if I get around to it.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Time for a quick nom myself.

Azurmarill --> C- or C rank
Azumarill @ Choice Band / Assualt Vest / Fairium Z
Ability : Huge Power / Sap Sipper / Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def or a more bulky Thick Fat / Sap Sipper set with max Def. investment
-Play Rough
-Liquidation
-Aqua Jet
-Superpower / Whatever

This thing can eat Zard X for breakfast, handles Zard Y, Play Rough can OHKO Gyra-M lacking EQ, and can dispatch A+ or A ranks like Dnite or Lando. It's versatility is amazing as all three of it's abilities help it differently, Huge Power a behemoth attacker, Thick Fat to eat the Zards, and Sap Sipper for that Grass weakness.

That being said, Azu is dispatched easily by Koko and Electrics, as well as Lax and Magearna, and Bulu unless it’s got Sap Sipper. It’s really only good against some top meta threats but anything it doesn’t expect can wall and kill it. EQ from any invested mon is an OHKO. So I feel that Azu’s not deserving of a B rank, it should get at least a C- or C. Surely it shouldn’t be in a rank with Smeargle and a FEAR mon.

I don’t have calcs yet but I’ll post some if I get around to it.
The problem with Azumarill is that although it does seem extremely anti-meta, is that it's just a worse Tapu Fini or Primarina in most situations. If it weren't for them, I'd be fine with an Azumarill rise, but because they exist, Azumarill should stay in D tier.
2) Manaphy from Unranked -> B-
Manaphy seems like a decenty viable Pokemon, but B- is a bit overzealous. It's mostly untested due to its very low usage. I think we should start with C as a trial ranking.
Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 12 SpA / 140 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power
Stored Power Necrozma is just a poor man's Musharna. "Use this not that:"
Musharna @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 244 HP / 168 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Stored Power
- Moonlight

The problem with Azumarill is that although it does seem extremely anti-meta, is that it's just a worse Tapu Fini or Primarina in most situations. If it weren't for them, I'd be fine with an Azumarill rise, but because they exist, Azumarill should stay in D tier.

Manaphy seems like a decenty viable Pokemon, but B- is a bit overzealous. It's mostly untested due to its very low usage. I think we should start with C as a trial ranking.

Stored Power Necrozma is just a poor man's Musharna. "Use this not that:"
Musharna @ Wiki Berry
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Stored Power
- Moonlight
unlike musharna,necrozma's ability allows it to actually live super effective hits.
while yes,it is vulnerable to toxic,there is a reason that necrozma is used more for this role
indicators of necrozma's ridiculous bulk thanks to prism armor
252+ Atk Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 177-208 (44.4 - 52.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 337-397 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
comparing bulk:

sets used

(speed isn't needed in my opinion,so I moved the EVs from speed to defense)

Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 12 SpA / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power

Musharna @ Wiki Berry
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Stored Power
- Moonlight

0 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Necrozma: 322-380 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 244 HP / 96+ SpD Musharna: 318-376 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 198-234 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 244 HP / 96+ SpD Musharna: 260-308 (59.9 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 168 Def Musharna: 267-315 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Necrozma: 250-295 (62.8 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 240-285 (60.3 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 244 HP / 168 Def Musharna: 342-404 (78.8 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

as it turns out,necrozma can utilize its ability to turn matchups like curse mega scizor in its favor.
(Disclaimer:I personally prefer using more defense and less special defense on necrozma,in order to take advantage of its good defense stat)

I'll probably make a post with a lot of nominations in the post-koko meta when I find the time.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
unlike musharna,necrozma's ability allows it to actually live super effective hits.
while yes,it is vulnerable to toxic,there is a reason that necrozma is used more for this role
indicators of necrozma's ridiculous bulk thanks to prism armor
252+ Atk Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 177-208 (44.4 - 52.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 337-397 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
comparing bulk:

sets used

(speed isn't needed in my opinion,so I moved the EVs from speed to defense)

Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 12 SpA / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power

Musharna @ Wiki Berry
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Stored Power
- Moonlight

0 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Necrozma: 322-380 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 244 HP / 96+ SpD Musharna: 318-376 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 198-234 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 244 HP / 96+ SpD Musharna: 260-308 (59.9 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 168 Def Musharna: 267-315 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Necrozma: 250-295 (62.8 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 240-285 (60.3 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bug Bite vs. 244 HP / 168 Def Musharna: 342-404 (78.8 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

as it turns out,necrozma can utilize its ability to turn matchups like curse mega scizor in its favor.
(Disclaimer:I personally prefer using more defense and less special defense on necrozma,in order to take advantage of its good defense stat)

I'll probably make a post with a lot of nominations in the post-koko meta when I find the time.
So, uhh, all things considered, what are you actually going to be beat with Prism Armor? Definitely not Volcarona, definitely not Gyarados, possibly Scizor? So I did some calcs and it turns out Necrozma does actually beat Curse Scizor, but loses to SD. Both lose to Specs Genesect and win against Scarf. You're still losing to Dark types so they don't matter. Curse Scizor is legit all that it beats that Musharna doesn't. Meanwhile, Musharna can beat Toxic stallers via Synchronize and also tank from Zard Y, which are probably more important than one set of a relatively uncommon mon.

I somewhat agree with macemaster there , and something else id like to point out is that some of the calcs seem irrelevant
example:
you simply gave musharna less bulk than necrozma and it barely borders to not get 2hkod with more bulk and its so amazing "prism armor"
The set has been around for a while and has a current resurgence in popularity but still the same weaknesses it had 4 months ago where people used and it will sink probably very soon again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)