Resource 1v1 Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 126-148 (44.5 - 52.2%) -- 16.8% chance to 2HKO

+3 252 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Milotic: 235-277 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 160-190 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Vivillon: 196-232 (65.1 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 138-162 (40.1 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
[/QUOTE]
A. Milotic Lol
B. Vivilon beats zone basically 100%
C. Pex Lol
D. you aren't beating fini lol

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Nominating Venomoth for D Rank

Venomoth is usually considered inferior to Vivillon, but only because of it's lack of Compound Eyes. Venomoth instead has Tinted Lens. This means Venomoth is stopped by fewer threats than Vivillon, and requires less turns to set up. Venomoth has almost completely neutral coverage, resisted only by Heatran and Magearna.

Venomoth (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Tinted Lens
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance

This is a SubQuiver Venomoth set. It is less risky than all-out-offensive Venomoth sets, since you can take a hit with your Substitute. Bug Buzz gives better coverage than Sludge Bomb and potentially allows Venomoth to beat Steel-types such as Magnezone. To win many matchups, Venemoth relies very heavily on setting up Sleep Powder. However, many other Pokemon such as Bellossom and Jumpluff also rely on Sleep Powder. Vivilon has a near perfectly accurate Sleep Powder, but requires more setup to beat Steel and Fire types compared to Venomoth. Venomoth should be D Rank because it is on par with many Pokemon there, but is somewhat underwhelming, also like the D Rank Pokemon, such as Bellossom.

252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 126-148 (44.5 - 52.2%) -- 16.8% chance to 2HKO

+3 252 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Milotic: 235-277 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 160-190 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Vivillon: 196-232 (65.1 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 138-162 (40.1 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
So here's the thing about this particular nomination. It fills the exact same speed trap role as Vivillon or Jumpluff, however there's seemingly no reason to run it over Jumpluff or Vivillon. Jumpluff has a much better speed tier than Venomoth by a significant margin, and for a 1 Base Speed cost Vivillon gets a significantly better ability. Tinted lens, while cute, has no real use on the set. Speed traps are pretty solely reliant on speed, and Vivillon especially doesn't need to accelerate the time it needs to win the game. The damage boost isn't particularly important as Vivillon can freely set up on slower pokemon. So while Venomoth can 2HKO Milotic at +3, Vivillon has no problem boosting higher than that and 2HKOing (or more likely 3HKOing as really that's all you need).

So here's the thing about this particular nomination. It fills the exact same speed trap role as Vivillon or Jumpluff, however there's seemingly no reason to run it over Jumpluff or Vivillon. Jumpluff has a much better speed tier than Venomoth by a significant margin, and for a 1 Base Speed cost Vivillon gets a significantly better ability. Tinted lens, while cute, has no real use on the set. Speed traps are pretty solely reliant on speed, and Vivillon especially doesn't need to accelerate the time it needs to win the game. The damage boost isn't particularly important as Vivillon can freely set up on slower pokemon. So while Venomoth can 2HKO Milotic at +3, Vivillon has no problem boosting higher than that and 2HKOing (or more likely 3HKOing as really that's all you need).
+1. This thing is bad. Having to take more turns to set up as a Vivillon vs a steel type doesn't even matter. 75% accuracy sleep and you don't win just sucks. Actually no reason to use tinted lens over compoundeyes. Maybe if viv and pluff didn't exist it would be D but as is it literally serves no purpose in the metagame.

Venomoth does not actually have Compound Eyes. I don't know why people keep thinking it does. There is potential for weird un-sets with Wonder Skin or Shield Dust though.
Venomoth also doesn't really Speed trap. It sweeps with Quiver Dance. Tinted lens also gives it a better chance against Heatran if Sleep Powder hits. Black Sludge can probably be replaced by Wide Lens to boost Sleep Powder's accuracy. It also is faster than Vivillon and ties with Porygon Z and Meloetta.
We're saying it sucks because it doesn't have Compound Eyes. It's a speed trap because it uses sleep powder against slower mons to boost up and win with quiver dance. You should beat heatran anyways with viv given it's not traunt, and if it is both should lose. It only has 3 spe up on Viv, which doesn't really do anything since neither one of the pokemon you named runs max spe sets outside of fringe max max PZ usage.

D2TheW

Amadán
It doesn't really matter if it's worse than Vivillon or Jumpluff. On it's own merits, it is still worthy of D Rank. There is stuff at D Rank that is mostly outclassed by stuff in higher ranks, like Milotic and Bellossom.
Bellosom has a distinct (though shit) niche of having strength sap along with QD to help deal with physical attackers. This is barely worth anything at all, but it's something. Venomoth has no distinct traits that matter in a meaningful way. Tinted lens is nice, poison stab is nice, hell even the small amount of extra speed it has is nice. But they don't mean anything without compoundeyes. Compoundeyes in combination with Sleep Powder is Vivs defining attribute. Quiver dance is great and hurricane works well with Hurricane is generally nice but compoundeyes sleep powder is the enabler for these nice things. The moth has (slightly) higher speed and a cool ability in tinted lens but without compoundeyes it's irrelevant.

Compoundeyes makes Viv consistent and consistency is really important in 1v1. Without Compoundeyes Sleep Powder will statistically miss one in every four uses. (Obviously it's not that simple, you won't miss every fourth use and first turn wake ups are a factor too). In regular tiers this is not too bad. Moth is a qd sweeper so if it misses it'll probably either die or proc it's sash and get another go. Besides, you have five other mons, you can work around it. In 1v1 this doesn't apply. Every four games you'll miss a powder and probably die. You just lose, plain and simple, since it's so frail. I live in rural bumfuck in the Irish countryside and my internet is fucking atrocious (it disconnected half way through writing this which is why this took so long). I have often had to give up laddering sessions because I keep disconnecting mid game. Take it from me, losing every four or five games to circumstances outside of your control suuuuucks so much. Consistency is the name of the game here and the moth just ain't consistent.

Now onto the idea that it should be ranked regardless because Viv is good and it's just an inferior Viv. Many mons are on the VR that are outclassed by something of a higher rank. However I am of the opinion that they should only be on the VR if they have something that distinguishes them. For example Donphan generally outclassed Golem but Golem has factors that give you a reason to use it instead. Rock blast is nice for sub users, rock stab is nice for rockium z sets, stuff like that. The reason this is important is because otherwise where do you draw the line? Butterfree has compoundeyes, Sleep Powder and QD. But it's significantly slower, doesn't have hurricane and doesn't have a variety of fetching designs. There's no reason to use Butterfree over Viv but hey, it's still able to use sleep powder and QD rank the og butterfly. It's pointless to put such a mon on the VR because no one should ever use it. Emphasis on the should btw because I have played against Butterfree on lower ladder. This is the category that the Moth falls into. There's no reason to use it over Viv. It's got some distinguishing features but they don't help it in any significant way. But hey if you find a set that's not utterly outclassed by Viv then make a case for it.

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Venomoth @ Normalium Z
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Struggle Bug
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Refresh

D2TheW niche located: do not rank

Milotic might be outclassed by stuff in the higher ranks (like MBlast, or Primarina), but it at least has a niche of having access to competitive, which gives it a better matchup against confide walls like Type Null or MAlt (it's spA can't be lowered) and also being able to blast Intimidate users with a +2 Z-move.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
The 1v1 Viability Rankings have been updated.

With this update now comes a very important announcement: There are no more cycles!

We, the VR Council, have now migrated the voting process to spreadsheet voting, since we ultimately found that we were voting the same thing each time a Pokemon got nominated, so we figured we might as well just have one vote that is constantly up and open to change whenever someone makes a persuading case for a rise or drop.

Naturally, this means that posts like "Magneton: B- > UR" with no substance behind them are now outright pointless, as there will no longer be a nomination list to add noms to.

If you're interested in seeing everyone's votes and whatever reasoning each member may have for voting that way, the spreadsheet can be seen here.

We'll get another sheet up and running for the Sets VR sooner or later.

spreadsheet
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but the averages are incorrect for many mons on the spreadsheet. For example, Magearna got 2 votes for S and 5 votes for S- and should therefore have an average of 11.29. However, its average is listed as 11. I like the new format, though.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but the averages are incorrect for many mons on the spreadsheet. For example, Magearna got 2 votes for S and 5 votes for S- and should therefore have an average of 11.29. However, its average is listed as 11. I like the new format, though.
Pokemon with 5 or more of the same votes just automatically get ranked to whatever rank the 5 votes are. We use supermajority votes like these for whenever the VR Council has more or less agreed on something, but a couple of stragglers are voting UR on Exeggutor for God knows why differently.

dom

Banned deucer.
Had an argument in the 1v1 room about this earlier but I'm gonna be productive with it instead of just pointlessly bitching! This paragraph is moreso comparing 2 mons and how they shouldn't be ranked together.

Scizor-Mega B -> B-/C+ / Registeel B -> B+/A-

(i really just think registeel is a rank or two higher than scizor, scizor in b is VERY silly though)

I think mega scizor being the same rank as registeel is absolutely silly. To start, this mon is only B rank because even though the majority of voters in the last cycle felt it was b-, Osra was an outlier who voted b+, and skewed scizor to be B rank. I was heavily leaning on C+ rank but I felt scizor was kind of a slept on mon that could be a good 3rd mon to some teams. However, had I known glyx was going to vote B+, i definitely would have voted c+ on it because I was #1 on the fence and #2 don't think mscizor is optimized enough to be B rank. Ignoring all this pokemon's flaws, I 100% think it is a worse or at least more niche version of registeel. Registeel is an absolutely poppin mon in the current meta, able to have a usually solid matchup vs any team without a zardx, and this thing is even used enough to be banned from 1v1 uu.

Scizor is just a more flawed pokemon than registeel I think, and a lot of it comes down to its fire weakness. But first let's talk about why they're similar.
Registeel set:
Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Iron Defense / Counter
- Amnesia / Confide
- Rest

Scizor Set:
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 140 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Bullet Punch
- Confide
- Roost

Glyx mentioned to me that Scizor is better at beating zygod and meloetta which, yes, it is better at beating both, but it's not even perfect at doing so. HP Fire meloetta beats scizor, and Zygod can use rest and fish for crits vs scizor. Scizor I think probably has the edge in these matchups but it's not AMAZING at beating both these mons. It might have some decent matchups vs top mons (like melo, which a lot of the time loses to registeel anyways and zygod), but it has a lot of notably bad matchups that registeel doesn't. Registeel has WAY better matchups vs Dragonite, Taunt gyara (even tauntless can like crit), HP Fire gen, slack off slowbro, Magnezone/Ton, Scarf PZ, Fire blast altaria (like most of them these days I'd say), genesect, venusaur, heatran (only firium or taunt beats registeel), naganadel, and more. These pokemon are all super common on ladder and tours, and scizor imo sacrafices a lot to be able to beat a few mons. Not to mention, Scizor is almost completely absent from tournaments, used twice in 1v1pl and not at all in world cup, so the ladder is really the only place you'll see this thing. But there, it's way easier and more common for people to cteam, and scizor is pretty passive and can easily lose to hp fire on whatever, maybe tapu lele. This combined with its significantly worse matchup vs something like dragonite (which registeel has a good mu vs), scizor has a lot of opportunity cost. I think it being in the same rank as very trendy and anti-meta mon registeel is kind of a shame. Not saying scizor is terrible just undoubtably worse than registeel.

Scizor is also extremely underdeveloped - random bulky SD is WAY more popular than the confide+curse set that supposedly gets scizor on the map. Like if Scizor at least had 1 super developed set it'd be fine, but it only even uses roost half the time, lol. There is not 1 set that really shines from scizor, and it's also absolutely hilarious to see X-Scissor (worse BP than technician bug bite and less PP too) have almost 3 times more usage than Confide. This mon is just straight up not developed enough to be B rank imo and the registeel copycat set only has 5% usage on a mon with less than 1% usage so you'll BARELY encounter this set on the ladder, if it all.

For registeel, it's very common to see teams lacking a zard to be pretty weak to it. It took me about 2 seconds to find a team where both players are pretty weak to it, here is one: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-968347014

It's just anti-meta af, trendy, more versatile than people think and an all around good mon.

tldr raise regi, drop scizor (never should have been b in the first place)

edit: serp is b+ wyd bros raise it to a- at least

Last edited:
Sorry if this comes off as rude
I wanted to talk about the current way mons are scored on the VR. The supermajority thing seems like it was kind of meant to prevent outliers from skewing the results, but it actually doesn't do that. And there are extreme examples where giving a mon a higher vote gives it a lower overall ranking. For example, if 4 people vote C, 1 person votes D, and 1 person votes UR on a certain mon. The last person voting C would make it C because of the supermajority, but the last person voting C+ would actually drop the mon to C-. This may be unlikely, but the fact that this is even possible is alarming.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
I'll do it different this time, probably be easier to read this way-
S Rank
1 Charizard-Mega-X
2* Dragonite (Band)
3* Gyarados-Mega (TauntQuake)

A+ Rank
4 Charizard-Mega-Y
5 Greninja (Taunt + Work Up SubTorrent)

A Rank
6 Meloetta (CM + LF Z-Hyper Beam)
7 Mew (Kee)
8* Zeraora (Band/LO + Close Combat)
9 Zygarde-Complete

A- Rank
10 Aegislash (Laser Focus Z-Shadow Ball (like this))
11 Kommo-o (Taunt)
12 Landorus-Therian
13 Tapu Fini (Taunt)

B+ Rank
14 Donphan
15 Garchomp
16 Heatran (Taunt)
17 Sableye-Mega (Taunt)
18 Serperior (Taunt)
19* Tyranitar-Mega (Taunt + Earthquake)
20 Victini

B Rank
21 Blaziken-Mega
22* Crustle (Earthquake (like this))
23* Haxorus (Choice Band + Superpower OR Dragon Dance/Swords Dance + Laser Focus)
24* Incineroar
25* Kartana (Choice Band + Sacred Sword OR Swords Dance + Synthesis Grassium (high crit ratio))
26 Krookodile
27* Lopunny-Mega
28 Necrozma (Stored Power)
29 Pheromosa
30 Sawk
31 Type: Null (Flame Charge does less damage than Leftovers recovers after Iron Defense, meaning you won't get to use Rest unless you predict a Flame Charge)
32 Volcarona
33 Whimsicott (Taunt/Encore)

B- Rank
34 Deoxys-S (Taunt)
35 Golem
* Latias-Mega (I'm not listing this as a counter but it's approximately a 50/50 between whether or not Latias gets a Stored Power crit with its 16 usages)
36 Medicham-Mega
37* Pinsir-Mega (SD + EQ)
38* Swampert-Mega
39 Tapu Bulu (Taunt)
S Rank
1 Charizard-Mega-X
2 Dragonite (Fire moves)
3 Gyarados-Mega (Taunt)

A+ Rank
4 Charizard-Mega-Y
5 Greninja (HP Fire)
6** Porygon-Z (PZ fishes for Spdef drops with Shadow Ball then uses Z-Recover to regain its lost spa and ko)

A Rank
7 Mew (Kee OR Overheat)
8 Zeraora (Band/LO + Fire Punch OR Taunt)

A- Rank
9 Aegislash (MS / LF)
10 Kommo-o (Taunt)
11** Landorus-Therian
12 Magnezone (MS)
13 Tapu Fini (Taunt)

B+ Rank
14 Altaria-Mega (Fire Blast)
15 Celesteela (Fire)
16 Genesect (Flamethrower)
17 Heatran
18 Sableye-Mega (Taunt)
19 Serperior (Taunt)
20 Victini

B Rank
21 Blaziken-Mega
22 Incineroar
23** Krookodile (Taunt)
24 Magneton (MS)
25 Naganadel
26 Necrozma (Heat Wave)
27 Registeel (too many bullet punches to give them an opportunity to use Rest)
28 Sawk (Fire Punch)
29 Type: Null (too many bullet punches to give them an opportunity to use Rest)
30 Volcarona
31 Whimsicott (Taunt/Encore)

B- Rank
32 Carracosta
33 Kyurem (Pressure bites)
34 Manaphy (Tail Glow)
35 Vivillon (Sleep rolls? I honestly don't know, I'll just put it as a loss to be fair)
36 Zapdos (Heat Wave)

* matchups can be won by Registeel if using Counter
** matchups can be won by Scizor if using Bug Bite or Iron Defense

I like to think the losses speak for themselves. If I wanted to be a bit more generous towards Scizor's losses, I could also add Specs HP Fire Meloetta and Magearna, but those are a big meh. As for the Slowbro matchup that was mentioned, Scizor has more PP unless Withdraw is finally starting to kick off, which would beat Registeel, as well.
I don't mind a potential Registeel rise, but it honestly shouldn't come before a Scizor rise, especially after doing these matchups.

pqs

Banned deucer.
:sm/volcanion: Volcanion C --> C+/B- Rank
Let me keep this short and simple, the other 'mons in C rank don't keep up with what Volcanion can do in the current meta. The amount of sets it can run e.g. Scarf, Specs, Band, Waterium etc. to beat prevalent Pokemon right now (especially breaks the Serperior + Registeel core which is awesome) is great, and that's why I think Volcanion should be higher up.

:sm/blissey:
Blissey C+ --> C Rank
Unlike Volcanion, Blissey has not been as great in the meta, currently losing to many top Pokemon and not faring well to current trends, Chansey is much better in the z-move orientated metagame right now and can tank much more hits that Blissey would usually just perish to. Chansey being the same rank as this hurts my brain, but another option open would be having Chansey go up in ranking.

:sm/porygon2: Porygon2 B --> B- Rank
This hasn't fared well to the current metagame shifts as well with either really powerful moves or stall that just outclasses Porygon2 in general. Examples include Zeraora becoming more and more prevalent, Meloetta still being a great mon in general, and RegiSerp core becoming a very popular stall-based core.

sorry for short post don't delete it mods :)

Nomming ttar base to C+

Tyranitar @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 208 Atk / 84 SpD / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Screech
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is the set that I use but I find u can prolly adjust some evs and moves if needed.
Base Tyranitar has been working greatly for me and I always find myself wanting to use it on ladder because of the great job it does in this current meta, beating many top threats in the top ranks with it’s high attack stat and sand for more bulk in spd, it also makes up for speed with rock tomb and some speed investments
Some of the top threats that ttar Beats is
charizard mega x
Dragonite (loses to superpower)
Charizard mega Y
Porygon z
Tapu lele
Meloetta
Mew
Aegislash
Magnezone (50/50d by zap cannon)
Tapu fini
Celesteela
Clefable
Genesect
Heatran
Togekiss
Victini
And many more in the lower ranks of 1v1

in my opinion tyranitar does not nearly deserve C- and should definitely be at C or C+

Last edited:
Speaking of unsets, quiet/Brave WP dragonite bops TTar with EQ.

A less bizarre set generates this calc :
+1 152+ Atk Dragonite Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 224 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 568-670 (143 - 168.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright, Trevenant Nom post number 2.
I would like to propose Trevenant for C+ or higher.

Trevenant is a potent mon with a niche that no other pokemon fills, as a sub seeder with essentially infinite recovery, it can win even matchups were it should theoretically lose.
Trev's main set:

TREE GANG (Trevenant) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect
- Curse

Access to Curse makes Trevenant different from other sub seeders, the combo of leech seed+curse has enough chip damage to kill mons with rest, while having access to curse also makes it able to beat other grass type pokemon, like Mega-Venusaur, Ferrothorn and Jumpluff.
It's decent spdef and HP make for a good spdef wall, able to live hits and stall out specially offensive mons such as Greninja, Magearna and Naganadel.
It also beats physical mons that don't have access to strong physical stabs, such as most ground types like Golem, Donphan and Swampert.
It can even decide to run a physical set if it wishes to, to beat out mons like MMetagross, Garchomp and Haxorus.
With an obvious weakness to taunt, it can win against status-heavy mons that only run status moves, like Deoxys-S, Whimsicott and Mew, having a 50% chance to recover it's aguav berry, and having around 4 tries to get that berry (accounting protect, and the turn you're taunted)

In conclusion, while it is beat out by most top threat mons like Zards, Gyara, Dragonite, Pory-Z and most Tapu Lele's, it beats out a large majority of the rest of the VR, establishing itself as a strong special wall that doubles as a sub seeder.

plz I just want to write a Trevenant analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)