2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaya would walk into my dream XI. His defensive qualities are vastly overrated but he's the best ball carrier you can have in midfield and that's probably the rarest quality to find in football - the ability to get past a man in the centre of the pitch. His strike and passing creativity have improved a lot this season, you can see his confidence when he plays and not being afraid to try an ambitious ball, that's another quality that's so hard to find. He really took a step up and looks different in how he plays this season. All in all he is a gem at his peak right now and I really enjoyed watching him play this season.

Vidal, Pirlo, Kroos, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta, Modric, Di maria, Silva and either Schweinsteiger/Lahm
pirlo and xavi are not. di maria and silva should not be classified as central midfielders because that's not where they usually play (although di maria recently plays at cm). kroos probably isn't better right now IMO

lol @ kroos. he's just the flavor of the month because he's refused to sign a new contract. He is nowhere near yaya toure.

the only problem with yaya is that he is lazy. if he wasn't he would be the midfielder in the world. But he is better than most of the players on modest g's list

lol @ kroos. he's just the flavor of the month because he's refused to sign a new contract. He is nowhere near yaya toure.

the only problem with yaya is that he is lazy. if he wasn't he would be the midfielder in the world. But he is better than most of the players on modest g's list
I bet you $100 that you haven't watch the majority of the players I have mention week in week out(or at least somewhat regularly).

Yaya is like Fabregas. Exceptional player against unorganised midfielders/lower teams but average to poor against better teams.

Btw Kroos has been one of Bayern's best players for two seasons now. He was the reason robben was complaining about not getting game time last season. If he didn't get injured against Juve last season he would have been celebrating the CL victory on the Podium with the other starters for Bayern.

"He's just the Flavour of the month..." Yeah you clearly haven't seen him play a lot.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
out of all the ones you posted, iniesta and vidal are the only ones above toure. the rest are either a matter of personal opinion (schweinsteiger, silva, and kroos), are past it (xavi - no speed anymore, and pirlo - i watch him every week and he has no energy anymore) or arent up to his level (modric and busquets, yaya is just as good offensively and better defensively than modric, and better offensively and just as good defensively as busquets). di maria shouldnt even be in that list.

toure is at least a top 5 cm in the world

out of all the ones you posted, iniesta and vidal are the only ones above toure. the rest are either a matter of personal opinion (schweinsteiger, silva, and kroos), are past it (xavi - no speed anymore, and pirlo - i watch him every week and he has no energy anymore) or arent up to his level (modric and busquets, yaya is just as good offensively and better defensively than modric, and better offensively and just as good defensively as busquets). di maria shouldnt even be in that list.

toure is at least a top 5 cm in the world
agreed with this post apart from the part said about busquets. no midfielder comes close to his defensive ability in my opinion

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Busquets probably had his worst game in a barca shirt at least for a while. Had no clue how to deal with the 442 of real madrid. Pressed and left acres of space for Real's attackers to move into.
Have you ever watched Busquets this season before today? That's basically your everyday Busquets this year, except for a handful of games. Unless he dramatically changes his performances, I hope he doesn't start a game this summer on the World Cup. Oh and to call him a top10 midfielder is an exaggeration. He's really good defensively but offensively he's lackluster, it's just that his teammates make him look better than he is in that regard.

By the way, Real Madrid had a nice performance today. If they play like this against Bayern I'm sure they can defeat them. Oh and finally Ancelotti planned a game wisely this season, it was worth the wait.

Have you ever watched Busquets this season before today? That's basically your everyday Busquets this year, except for a handful of games. Unless he dramatically changes his performances, I hope he doesn't start a game this summer on the World Cup. Oh and to call him a top10 midfielder is an exaggeration. He's really good defensively but offensively he's lackluster, it's just that his teammates make him look better than he is in that regard.
Probably most of it is because Tata Martino is a clueless manager who plays Busquets higher up the pitch than Messi

Way to lose credibility in a single comment, SuperScizor. You're a regular Spanish reporter if you think Tata is responsible for the decline in most of Barça players' performances. He's an excellent manager as proven by what he did in Paraguay in South Africa (where they deserved to beat Spain an probably would've had they not lost their best player to a bullet to the head prior to the World Cup) and what he did with Newell's Old Boys here, where the team was declining and on the verge of getting demoted and in a year and a half he took them to a championship and a Libertadores semifinal.

Of course he has a responsibility with his decisions, such as starting Cesc over Pedro/Alexis when he was clearly low, but the general poor performances are his fault as much as their great performances at the beginning of the season were due to him—he was never really praised there but he was criticized and completely mortified at the slightest decline.

All that said, I'm simply disappointed with the final match because I expected Barça players to be more motivated with the game. Real did their job well, with a great first half for Di María and a great second half for Benzema and Bale. Barça were close with that Neymar shot, but they wouldn't have deserved to take the game to extra time.

Way to lose credibility in a single comment, SuperScizor. You're a regular Spanish reporter if you think Tata is responsible for the decline in most of Barça players' performances. He's an excellent manager as proven by what he did in Paraguay in South Africa (where they deserved to beat Spain an probably would've had they not lost their best player to a bullet to the head prior to the World Cup) and what he did with Newell's Old Boys here, where the team was declining and on the verge of getting demoted and in a year and a half he took them to a championship and a Libertadores semifinal
I wasn't being serious, mate. The "Busquets plays higher up the pitch than Messi" part should of given it away lol

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Vidal - yes, Iniesta - I don't think so. He's just a better passer than Toure who is better overall.

I wasn't being serious, mate. The "Busquets plays higher up the pitch than Messi" part should of given it away lol
I know you weren't being serious on that part (that doesn't make the rest a joke), but blaming Tata is so easy these days that it annoys me. He wasn't gonna stay in Barça next season anyway because he simply couldn't stand the press anymore, the win at the Bernabéu gave him some breathing room but that ended quickly after the loss at Granada.

The rest still stands, though, in case anyone ever feels like doubting of his abilities as a manager. He's one of the least Argentine ones (in regards to constantly complaining at the refs and stuff) so that alone should put him on a higher ground along with Bielsa and few others.

we're going to look like such fucking idiots if we don't win the title after celebrating like that against Man city

i still cringe when i see it.

PFA player of year shortlist announced: Gerrard, Sturridge, Suarez, Hazard, Toure, Lallana

Four Liverpool players nominated, although I don't think Kolo deserves to be there.

PFA Young Player of the Year nominees: Barkley, Hazard, Ramsey, Shaw, Sterling and Sturridge.

Nice to see Lallana get a shout out i guess, still should have made room for Rooney somewhere. I guess Aguero has been too injured to get a nomination.

Half that list being touted as better then Yaya is a joke, Iniesta hasn't been better, Xavi wouldn't even make the list of the top 5 central midfielders in La Liga, Schweinsteiger has been injured a lot. Modric is being sold way short though arguably the best player in La Liga this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)