2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butland shoulda been sent off, we shoulda had a penalty. All the referee's decision did was teach people that diving is a good thing.

Really don't want Mourinho sacked, I still have faith in him; we'll pull through.

Played very very well, Hazard looked like his usual self in the first half, Costa still average as ever and Willian had a dud performance (unusual for him). We've got Norwich next week and I reckon we can win that by 2 or 3 goals.

At the rate they're going, they're really going to be in relegation trouble.

What has happened to Swansea? Since beating MU, they have been crap.

"Vardy should forget about demanding to play as centre forward and should be happy just being in the squad". - Roy Hodgson.

Hmmm, the most in-form striker in the Premier League or a has-been captain who has been crap for his team? Not exactly a difficult decision isn't it? It's obviously the has-been who will remain undroppable just because he plays for a big club.

Seriously, Vardy must be wondering what else must he do to be able to play in his proper position for England. Goals in 9 consecutive games is only one short of Ruud Van Nistelrooy's 10 and no other Premier League striker; Henry, Torres, Suarez, Van Persie, Sturridge or even Aguero can replicate that feat. People may say that Vardy is going through a purple patch but fact remains that on current form, he deserves to start ahead of Rooney and Kane.

^ And this is why England will continue to underachieve in tournaments. Winning against crap teams in friendlies and qualifiers doesn't make you a great team. It's your performance in the big tournaments that count.

Liverpool - unfortunate to lose against Palace. 2 stupid mistakes in defense and Benteke not being awesome (he could have had a hattrick). Shows that there's still a lot of work to do.

Anyway, is it just me or has the fans of sports teams starting to be less patient nowadays? It has been going on for some time and even Klopp commented on fans leaving after Palace got their second goal with 10 minutes + injury time to play for. In Germany, even if the team is performing badly, the stadium is still echoing with support. The Premier League stadiums sounds like a library in comparison. (Let's not go into how fans moan constantly and go OTT on social media as that's not the best place to measure intelligence)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
"Vardy should forget about demanding to play as centre forward and should be happy just being in the squad". - Roy Hodgson.

Hmmm, the most in-form striker in the Premier League or a has-been captain who has been crap for his team? Not exactly a difficult decision isn't it? It's obviously the has-been who will remain undroppable just because he plays for a big club.

Seriously, Vardy must be wondering what else must he do to be able to play in his proper position for England. Goals in 9 consecutive games is only one short of Ruud Van Nistelrooy's 10 and no other Premier League striker; Henry, Torres, Suarez, Van Persie, Sturridge or even Aguero can replicate that feat. People may say that Vardy is going through a purple patch but fact remains that on current form, he deserves to start ahead of Rooney and Kane.
An international team should not be determined solely on current form and you see that in a lot of the better international sides. But in England the media whips up a shitstorm as soon as any player has a few decent games and the England manager is promptly put under intense pressure by armchair coaches and this is a relatively new phenomenon. Look at Kevin Phillips who won not only the EPL Golden Boot but also the Golden Boot for all of Europe but never got a look in because the England team at that time was being built around the front two of Shearer and Owen, which turned out to be our most lethal strikeforce of the past few decades.

Basically, a team will never have time to gel if you reshuffle it every time a player has a good run of form, especially in a game as fickle as football. So call me crazy but I'm okay with sticking with our country's all-time top goalscorer and most experienced current player for now.

i really believe that when messi comes back to barcelona, they will be even deadlier than last season. for all the goals they scored, all the moments of magic, all the trophies that MSN was able to achieve for barca last season, there were some kinks: suarez and neymar didn't have the best partnership. messi-neymar was pure magic, messi-suarez was also fantastic; but suarez-neymar lacked that classy partnership.

without messi in the lineup, suarez and neymar have found a way to gel together perfectly, and play to the strengths and weaknesses of each other. when messi comes back.... this trio will be even SCARIER than last season. imo.. the UCL this year is going to be between barca or bayern (bayern look to be as strong as 2013 bayern)... can't wait to see how the season unfolds.

Ye ye it's me, sorry but why did we play so shit in the first half...

Wenger gave the team a good halftime talk to not do shit and go all out attack. The match was so interesting in the second half, and we were unlucky because Giroud couldn't score two free headers :c

Finally an international break, it's relieving because our players need to rest because of the hard week last week so that's good and I hope their managers rest our players tho, and I hope nobody will suffer an injury.

An international team should not be determined solely on current form and you see that in a lot of the better international sides. But in England the media whips up a shitstorm as soon as any player has a few decent games and the England manager is promptly put under intense pressure by armchair coaches and this is a relatively new phenomenon. Look at Kevin Phillips who won not only the EPL Golden Boot but also the Golden Boot for all of Europe but never got a look in because the England team at that time was being built around the front two of Shearer and Owen, which turned out to be our most lethal strikeforce of the past few decades.

Basically, a team will never have time to gel if you reshuffle it every time a player has a good run of form, especially in a game as fickle as football. So call me crazy but I'm okay with sticking with our country's all-time top goalscorer and most experienced current player for now.
Even though I agree to put Vardy on the striker spot, but I think Kane or Rooney is more suited to the team because they have worked with the team longer than Vardy does. They also have some experiences with the boys and played well with them too and that's what Vardy doesn't have. If Hodgson try to put Vardy up front, that will be good for Vardy to gain experience with the England squad.

Last edited:
I did not see Arsene pulling Cazorla coming. It was a good move cause obviously Santi was tired af but Wenger usually doesn't pull at halftime and I definitely wouldn't see him pulling the heart of our midfield. For all the Piers Morgan Wengerout types, this is a sign that despite being a sixtysomething year old man, Wenger has shown the ability to adapt. Last year we ceded possession against Man City and won, this year he's making the big subs when they're needed.

Also Lloris won't want to see any highlight reels anytime soon. And we should've rested Alexis at the second half vs. Bayern. He is not at the races and now he's got to travel for WC qualifiers with Chile. I know he's a living Energizer bunny but even he has limits.

I did not see Arsene pulling Cazorla coming. It was a good move cause obviously Santi was tired af but Wenger usually doesn't pull at halftime and I definitely wouldn't see him pulling the heart of our midfield. For all the Piers Morgan Wengerout types, this is a sign that despite being a sixtysomething year old man, Wenger has shown the ability to adapt. Last year we ceded possession against Man City and won, this year he's making the big subs when they're needed.

Also Lloris won't want to see any highlight reels anytime soon. And we should've rested Alexis at the second half vs. Bayern. He is not at the races and now he's got to travel for WC qualifiers with Chile. I know he's a living Energizer bunny but even he has limits.
Too bad he will retire next year :c

Alexis really needs to rest, I hope the Chile's manager go easy on him because he's a vital player just like Ozil, Coq, Santi, Koscielny and Monreal. Good news is Ox, Bellerin and Ramsey will be available next week after the break and that's a huge boost to us to keep fighting for the title and hopefully CL, even though I don't mind if we end up in Europa League tho, but I still believe we can pull it through to the knock-out stage. I also hope that Wilshere and Welbeck will be available before the boxing day or maybe before the CL's KO stage to improve our squad in-depth. I still think that we need another solid attacking midfielder who is fast and can play out wide for Alexis and Ozil's backup.

Too bad he will retire next year :c

Alexis really needs to rest, I hope the Chile's manager go easy on him because he's a vital player just like Ozil, Coq, Santi, Koscielny and Monreal. Good news is Ox, Bellerin and Ramsey will be available next week after the break and that's a huge boost to us to keep fighting for the title and hopefully CL, even though I don't mind if we end up in Europa League tho, but I still believe we can pull it through to the knock-out stage. I also hope that Wilshere and Welbeck will be available before the boxing day or maybe before the CL's KO stage to improve our squad in-depth. I still think that we need another solid attacking midfielder who is fast and can play out wide for Alexis and Ozil's backup.
He's going to retire? It will be weird seeing an Arsenal without him. (Still feel weird seeing Liverpool without Gerrard and Man Utd without Ferguson). When I was a kid, I thought the club was named after the manager since their names are so similar.

The international break came at the right time though. Liverpool is having an injury nightmare and Benteke is still only half-fit (see how he struggles versus Palace). Nine players out and most were long-term injuries. Hopefully the internationals don't pick up any more as the squad is thin enough as it is.

I really don't want Arsenal to end up in Europa League as they will be another tough team to handle in this competition. They will definitely be favourites alongside Dortmund and Napoli.

He's going to retire? It will be weird seeing an Arsenal without him. (Still feel weird seeing Liverpool without Gerrard and Man Utd without Ferguson). When I was a kid, I thought the club was named after the manager since their names are so similar.

The international break came at the right time though. Liverpool is having an injury nightmare and Benteke is still only half-fit (see how he struggles versus Palace). Nine players out and most were long-term injuries. Hopefully the internationals don't pick up any more as the squad is thin enough as it is.

I really don't want Arsenal to end up in Europa League as they will be another tough team to handle in this competition. They will definitely be favourites alongside Dortmund and Napoli.
I think he will though, the chairman only extends his contract until 2017 I believe. I know it will be weird, just like United without Fergie, and also it might be hard for us to look for another manager that suits to our playstyle, but I'd love to see Pep replaces Wenger if he retire.

Too bad Gerrard won't play for Liverpool when MLS breaks. But I heard that he trains with The Kop again isn't he?

Too bad Gerrard won't play for Liverpool when MLS breaks. But I heard that he trains with The Kop again isn't he?
Last I heard, Klopp said he was welcome to do that. Him playing though will achieve 2 things;

1) Make a mockery of his farewell (which got spoiled because of the terrible form of last season)

2) Tarnish his reputation (Let's be honest, he hasn't exactly set MLS alight and was a shadow of himself, even last season. He doesn't have the energy to run, a trait which Klopp likes in his players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)