2017/18 (Soccer) Football Thread

Rory Mercury

lacks composure
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
3rd and 10th? Switzerland are rank 6th.. which is laughable
Sure, Switzerland isn't the 6th strongest team, but they did only lose one game in qualifying and do fairly well against stronger teams, although they tend to struggle getting the ball into the net. So it's not like it's completely undeserved. FIFA rankings aren't just about how strong you look on paper, you have to actually perform as well (France).
England is definitely better than every time in their side of the bracket except Spain.
Definitely better? Croatia is looking really good and Colombia shouldn't be underestimated even without James (worst case they can always take out Kane like they took out Neymar). Furthermore neither Sweden nor Switzerland (same country for most people so maybe they'll just merge and no one will even notice) are likely to just hand over the win.

England might be good, but they sure haven't been amazing. England supporters seem to be taking the other teams way too lightly and I'm really not sure where all this confidence people suddenly have in England is coming from.
So while England's chances are looking pretty good, but not nearly as good as people try to make them out to be.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
That match was a proper fucking throwdown until France's 4th goal. Di Maria's goal was life affirming. Too bad you cannot win the WC with a bullshit defence.

Just to clarify, I think Uruguay deserved the win but still not as much as Portugal. We had more ball control, more goal chances...they had Cavani taking advantage on the very few opportunities created (I saw like, maybe 3?)
Dunno why people sleep on a team that went 9/9 in group stage anyways, Uruguay appreciates that I guess (shame Cavani might be out now though)
1 of the best teams got knocked out today, but you're welcome for the great games you got to witness in Portugal vs Spain and Portugal vs Uruguay (can't really expect enjoyable matches out of Morocco or Iran cuz they're trash). GG La Celeste. GG.

That match was a proper fucking throwdown until France's 4th goal. Di Maria's goal was life affirming. Too bad you cannot win the WC with a bullshit defence.
Much less with a bullshit midfield with an old Mascherano being literally the only defensive option, as well as not giving Lo Celso a single minute even though he was in the starting eleven in the preparation friendlies.

Much less with a bullshit attack where the only one with remotely acceptable performances across multiple matches was Agüero.

Just to clarify, I think Uruguay deserved the win but still not as much as Portugal. We had more ball control, more goal chances...they had Cavani taking advantage on the very few opportunities created (I saw like, maybe 3?)
Dunno why people sleep on a team that went 9/9 in group stage anyways, Uruguay appreciates that I guess (shame Cavani might be out now though)
1 of the best teams got knocked out today, but you're welcome for the great games you got to witness in Portugal vs Spain and Portugal vs Uruguay (can't really expect enjoyable matches out of Morocco or Iran cuz they're trash). GG La Celeste. GG.
That's Uruguay to you. They gently give you the ball because they don't need it to win.

At least we can enjoy the World Cup without the Ronaldo and Messi circus. Uruguay needs to find someone to take over Cavani's role now. Stuani scored 21 goals in La Liga but looked poor.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Portugal deserved it more... They had more possession, but they didn't create a lot with it because Uruguay were too good defensively. Portugal maybe had a small spell in the 2nd half in which they were on top, but they didn't really manage to break down Uruguay's defence that often. Shots were mostly long range ones that didn't trouble Muslera at all. Uruguay were the better team, despite what the stats suggest

yes Portugal were over rated, euro champions winning only 1 game ffs.
and how many losses? ya, thought so. we must be magicians, advancing through rounds without winning and all. stay salty my boy.
I don't think Portugal deserved it more... They had more possession, but they didn't create a lot with it because Uruguay were too good defensively. Portugal maybe had a small spell in the 2nd half in which they were on top, but they didn't really manage to break down Uruguay's defence that often. Shots were mostly long range ones that didn't trouble Muslera at all. Uruguay were the better team, despite what the stats suggest
someone must have missed Fonte's header needing someone to finish on the right post, or Bernardo's weak foot shot with the goal wide open, etc.
Only thing Uruguay's "good" defense did was delay, delay and more delay because the ref apparently doesn't punish for it. not a single yellow showed for slow play. They won because Cavani was on his best day. Portugal had the better team.

Last edited:
For moments I thought Spain was playing rugby - hardly any forward passes at all.

I honestly did not expect them to be knocked out by Rusia (I thought they had enough to beat them by one goal, and one goal only) but the way they played... made them deserve it.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One out of Russia, Denmark, Croatia, Sweden, Switzerland, Colombia, and England will be in the World Cup final

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)