2017/18 (Soccer) Football Thread

No idea how good this Belgium side actually are. They didn't need to get out of 1st gear in the group and that excellent Japan performance would have troubled anyone in the tournament.

I could see them putting 4 past Brazil or losing by 4.

No team have really been stand out, Croatia struggled against Denmark. Brazil struggled in the opener and for a lot of the Costa Rica match.They also started really good 4 years ago and then bottled it.

Uruguay are obviously amazing in defence but the attack is questionable especially if Cavani doesn't heal.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Amazing game. Sad for Japan because they played a really good match and only lost because they are weaker shorter
FTFY. Belgium shamelessly pressed in every tall person in their roster in attack after they conceded twice lol. Both equalising goals and almost every on target shot coming from headers.

It is prudent to remember that by the end of it they never did really manage to beat Japan on the the ground (until the final breakaway but that was an all-in final minute scenario). In a WC filled with bullies and drama queens, at show was a real clinic in disciplined, concentrated defending. Motherfuckers were doing full on steals and sliding tackles and barely conceded a foul in the back hot damn. I was left deeply impressed by how consistently Japan managed to punch above their weight, never losing their nerve and constantly making sharp piercing attacks even after losing the miracle lead no one expected them to have in the first place.

If they keep up this attitude and find a way to compete in the air we might have a breakaway contender in 2022.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love the Japanese style of play, and honestly South Korea was similar. They are very discipline focused, don't take dives or act like drama queens. Very selfless and have great team chemistry. This is the reason why they continue to qualify and perform well, putting up challenges to any team they face. It'd be great to see them get over the hump one year, we'll see.

FTFY. Belgium shamelessly pressed in every tall person in their roster in attack after they conceded twice lol. Both equalising goals and almost every on target shot coming from headers.

It is prudent to remember that by the end of it they never did really manage to beat Japan on the the ground (until the final breakaway but that was an all-in final minute scenario). In a WC filled with bullies and drama queens, at show was a real clinic in disciplined, concentrated defending. Motherfuckers were doing full on steals and sliding tackles and barely conceded a foul in the back hot damn. I was left deeply impressed by how consistently Japan managed to punch above their weight, never losing their nerve and constantly making sharp piercing attacks even after losing the miracle lead no one expected them to have in the first place.

If they keep up this attitude and find a way to compete in the air we might have a breakaway contender in 2022.
What undone them was the physical disadvantage though. Japan knew they had no more gas left in the tank and momentum was with Belgium. Pity they don't have the real world Tsubasa who never loses a match ever (besides the grade school game)

The gates opened when Martinez finally did something right by substituting the anonymous and poor Yannick Carrasco, and bringing in someone who could, and did provide plenty of trouble for the Japan defense. Also allowed Kevin De Bruyne to play further forward instead of his usual CDM that Martinez has him play. Need to at least see Chadli start next match, Carrasco has been the biggest liability.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As an England fan I would have been so angry if we went out. I can't see how anyone could deny Barrios deserved a red, and I can't understand why VAR didn't tell the ref to have a look at it - if the ref goes to see the screen he surely would have given red. Colombia were so dirty, and I'm glad they went out. Watched them vs Poland and they were a joy to watch, but they clearly decided to rely on breaking up the play with fouls and trying to wind England up without Rodriguez.

On another note, England need to do better in the final 3rd. We get into good positions but Alli/Lingard/Sterling aren't performing in the final third, making wrong decisions or just messing it up. I think Sweden should be a much more comfortable match than Colombia but we need to improve.

what? getting up and saying it wasn't a Pen? didn't see any England players rolling around all over the place either.

As an England fan I would have been so angry if we went out. I can't see how anyone could deny Barrios deserved a red, and I can't understand why VAR didn't tell the ref to have a look at it - if the ref goes to see the screen he surely would have given red. Colombia were so dirty, and I'm glad they went out. Watched them vs Poland and they were a joy to watch, but they clearly decided to rely on breaking up the play with fouls and trying to wind England up without Rodriguez.

On another note, England need to do better in the final 3rd. We get into good positions but Alli/Lingard/Sterling aren't performing in the final third, making wrong decisions or just messing it up. I think Sweden should be a much more comfortable match than Colombia but we need to improve.
They lost their playmaker in James and has no other gameplan.

I would think it is time for Rashford. Sterling doesn't seem to suit the system. 2 goals in 40 games for England is really awful.

Great half by Belgium, Marcelo thinking he is a striker and refusing to defend is really starting to make him a liability for Brazil and Madrid.

Neymar has regressed serves him right for taking the pussy option going off to France.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Belgium are going to win this if they retain their firewall defending and insane good luck. And tbh out of the remaining contenders I'd rather see them lift it now.... NO JINX

Well, there goes my second option as World Cup contender.

I hope the winner of the match between France and Belgium becomes champion (preferably Belgium as I have relatives that live there), but at this rate, Russia winning does not sound so Farfetch'd.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)