2018-19 NBA Thread

Folks out there may be expecting my extended thoughts on the Finals matchup but I regret to say that my life and mental state isn't up to par today to preview anything right now.

I will say some glancing thoughts I have are:

-Siakim's effectiveness in small lineups and effect on Green.

-Kawhi's usage defensively. Will Curry be affected? If he's on a non-shooter like Green, are the Warriors stifled offensively?

-Toronto's overall ability to rebound small or with Gasol/Ibaka.

-And of course Durant or Cousin's effect coming back.

Statistically, Warriors are deserving favorites, but with Nurse's unorthodox rotations and Toronto's decent lineups of defenders and rebounders, them winning is nowhere near a stretch.

Toronto wins Game 1
Warriors tie The Finals in Game 2
Warriors go ahead in Game 3
Warriors push the lead in Game 4
Raptors wins Game 5 with a Kawhi's superb performance
Warriors ends The Finals in Game 6 and Curry/Green is named Finals MVP

tbh I got raptors in 7, I got some hope in them. Right now, all the raptors gotta do is closeout on Klay and Curry and not let them shoot threes. This the outcome I think will happen if KD doesnt come back tho.

Looks like your list needs to be updated^

I can't even imagine Curry's response to be robbed of another Finals MVP. KD can fuck off to the trashknicks

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What an amazing win. No KD, Klay and Looney get hurt, Iggy plays with suspect legs and Steph is sick. Not to mention a great performance from Boogie in his 2nd game back. I am afraid I have to agree with Max Kellerman: game on the line I want Iggy taking that shot.

What an amazing win. No KD, Klay and Looney get hurt, Iggy plays with suspect legs and Steph is sick. Not to mention a great performance from Boogie in his 2nd game back. I am afraid I have to agree with Max Kellerman: game on the line I want Iggy taking that shot.
The Iggy's situation is all about Curry and his deadly shot. He draws too much attention and that focus of attention on him gives space to Iggy, Green and others. Obviously Iggy is a FMVP and is a reliable player, but is all about the Curry's offense and the defense's dillema about guard him.

OBS.: In the end of Game 1 I talked about Siakam's monstrous game with my friends and I sincerely doubted about a back to back performance in Game 2. Game 1 Siakam: 32 pts, 14/17 FG. Game 2 Siakam: 12 pts, 5/18 FG. And a superb defense by Green, Bogut and Looney.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I definitely feel bad for KD being out, but let's be honest it's made the finals way more interesting. I for one don't really care to see the Warriors steamroll the competition for a third straight year with KD as their cheat code.

Klay and Looney are another story. Steph Curry definitely felt the Lebron James experience circa 2015/2018 in game three. Luckily for him I doubt Klay misses another game.

Last edited:
So the Nets have agreed to dump Allen Crabbe's deal onto the Hawks with the 17th pick this draft, and a future lottery-protected pick (that will convert to two second rounders if not conveyed by 2022) for Taurean Prince and a 2021 second rounder. Huge implications for free agency that I'll try to break down:

Nets have created a second max slot this summer with this trade (and have the ability to match offers for D'Angelo Russell), joining the Knicks as teams with two max slots. The Clippers can create a second max slot, and the Lakers have one max slot with assets to trade for a star, namely Anthony Davis. Wojnarowski mentioned that there is mutual interest between the Nets and Kyrie Irving, who now holds a lot of power with regards to player movement this summer.

It's no secret that the Knicks and Nets are aiming to sign two of the top free agents this summer: Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant. If Kyrie does indeed sign with the Nets, that essentially puts the Celtics and Knicks out of the Anthony Davis sweepstakes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Celtics are unlikely to want to trade for Anthony Davis when their only assets consist of Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, the Grizzlies pick, and the Clippers pick. They won't want to part with both Brown and Tatum, since parting with both of them would significantly weaken their case for AD to re-sign next summer. That means their best offer could likely be one of them plus both picks. That's a pretty bad offer for someone of Anthony Davis's caliber, and quite honestly easily beatable.

The Knicks, without Kyrie Irving, are in a similar situation. They can offer the 3rd pick (RJ Barrett maybe?), Kevin Knox, and Mitchell Robinson, but again that would leave them with a weak case for AD to re-sign, with Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith Jr left on their payroll. If they sign Kevin Durant, that's a different scenario, but does Durant sign there without Irving? Funny to think that the Knicks, just 3 weeks ago, were looking at Zion, Kyrie, and KD, and now might be left with just Dennis Smith Jr to show from the Porzingis trade.

That leaves the Los Angeles teams. The Clippers can offer Gallinari's expiring and... some role players? Even with my Lakers bias aside, that's not nearly as exciting as just the 4th pick in the draft, let alone their ability to add a few players.

So what I'm really saying is, Pelicans fucked up not taking the Lakers offer in February.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I live in Atlantic Canada right now. Tonight’s game, like the last one, starts at 10pm. I expect I’ll be watching in an outdoor crowd just like last time.

Folks the Raptors might actually do this.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Couldn’t even get into the square until halftime. Amazing energy in a whole other part of the country. All that “Canada’s team” talk suddenly seems a lot more reasonable.

The whole city is going crazy right now, this feels so surreal. We are literally one game away from our first championship.

plus everyone is completely cool with Raptors winning it all if they do. Can't hate a Canadian team.

Can't wait to see Raptors gear sold out everywhere soon. What a weird bandwagon it'll be.

What a win for the Warriors. Half their team is playing injured and they got guys that are/should be out, gritted through a road elimination game vs an elite team that were an 18-0 run away from sweeping them.

Also, credit Fraudiola Nick Nurse for calling a timeout to stop his own team's momentum.

I fucking love Draygoat.

Last edited:
So many talking points... Nurse is a fucking idiot though..

That final possession... what a joke lmao.

Warriors.. I can see it happening.. they're gonna do it.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Can't defend those decisions but Nurse has done well overall and I'm sick of some fans calling for him to be fired every time we lose a game.

I swear Marc went from getting buckets, back to not shooting, midway through the game. Learn already?

Kyle, for the love of God, don't let the pressure get in your head now.

Raps in 5 did kind of feel too good to be true. 4-0 at Oracle instead?

Tough loss, but hard to beat the Warriors when they shoot 47% from three while we shoot 25%. Made it a winnable game when it probably shouldn't have been. Still have two more chances to end this, including a Game 6 at Oracle where we are undefeated this season and a Game 7 back home. With KD surely done for the series (and possibly Looney as well), I like our chances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)