Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Battle Stadium Singles Discussion

This thread is for anything related to BSS! What's good? What's bad? What crazy Pokemon / sets / strategies have you seen on the ladder? What are your thoughts on the metagame?

THIS THREAD IS FOR METAGAME DISCUSSION/OBSERVATIONS. Questions should go in the Simple Questions thread.

---

For those that don't know, Battle Stadium Singles (BSS) is the ranked singles mode played on the Switch games. The rules are that you bring 6 Pokemon but choose 3 at team preview after seeing your opponent’s 6. Pokémon are at level 50 and item clause applies. What Pokémon are allowed depends on what Series is in play. Check for the latest announcement threads here for information on the current Series.

---

The Dynamax mechanic is explained here:

Dynamax Mechanic:
  • You can turn a single pokemon giant for 3 turns once per game.
  • It does not require an item, meaning that any pokemon can dynamax at any time.
  • When Dynamaxed, each attacking move will turn into the corresponding max move for its type, while status moves turn into Max Guard (basically Protect).
  • Gigantamax allows some pokemon to have new forms and special max moves.
  • You lose your Dynamax upon switching out.
  • Your Pokemon gains a 100% HP Boost while dynamaxed (doubles current HP).
  • The base power for max moves are dependent upon the base power of the original move it replaced.
  • Dynamaxed pokemon cannot be flinched.
  • Dynamaxed pokemon cannot be phased out.
  • All weight based moves and OHKO moves will fail when used against a dynamaxed pokemon.
  • Choice Band/Scarf/Specs are nullified while Dynamaxed. If a move was used before Maxing, you are re-locked into that move when the Dynamax ends. If Dynamax happened before locking into a move you have the ability to choose what move you lock into once Dynamax is over.

Datamine Resources:

Part 1 of Moveset Listings (includes base stats)
Part 2 of Moveset Listings (includes base stats)
List of changes to moves and movepools

Libero: Changes the Pokémon’s type to the type of the move it’s about to use. - Cinderace
Cotton Down: When the Pokémon is hit by an attack, it scatters cotton fluff around and lowers the Speed stat of all Pokémon except itself. - Eldegoss
Propeller Tail: Ignores the effects of opposing Pokémon’s Abilities and moves that draw in moves. - Barraskewda
Mirror Armor: Bounces back only the stat-lowering effects that the Pokémon receives. - Corviknight
Gulp Missile: When the Pokémon uses Surf or Dive, it will come back with prey. When it takes damage, it will spit out the prey to attack. - Cramorant
Stalwart: Ignores the effects of opposing Pokémon’s Abilities and moves that draw in moves. - Duraludon
Steam Engine: Boosts the Pokémon’s Speed stat drastically if hit by a Fire- or Water-type move. - Rolycoly line
Punk Rock: Boosts the power of sound-based moves. The Pokémon also takes half the damage from these kinds of moves. - Toxtricity
Sand Spit: The Pokémon creates a sandstorm when it’s hit by an attack. - Sandaconda
Ice Scales: The Pokémon is protected by ice scales, which halve the damage taken from special moves. - Frosmoth
Ripen: Ripens Berries and doubles their effect. - Flapple/Appletun
Ice Face The Pokémon’s ice head can take a physical attack as a substitute, but the attack also changes the Pokémon’s appearance. The ice will be restored when it hails. - Eiscue
Power Spot: Just being next to the Pokémon powers up moves. - Stonjourner
Mimicry: Changes the Pokémon’s type depending on the terrain. - Galarian Stunfisk
Screen Cleaner: When the Pokémon enters a battle, the effects of Light Screen, Reflect, and Aurora Veil are nullified for both opposing and ally Pokémon. - Mr Rime
Steely Spirit: Powers up ally Pokémon’s Steel-type moves. - Purrserker
Perish Body: When hit by a move that makes direct contact, the Pokémon and the attacker will faint after three turns unless they switch out of battle. - Galarian Corsola/Cursola
Wandering Spirit: The Pokémon exchanges Abilities with a Pokémon that hits it with a move that makes direct contact. - Runerigus
Gorilla Tactics: Boosts the Pokémon’s Attack stat but only allows the use of the first selected move. - Galarian Darmanitan
Neutralizing Gas: If the Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas is in the battle, the effects of all Pokémon’s Abilities will be nullified or will not be triggered. - Galarian Weezing
Pastel Veil: Protects the Pokémon and its ally Pokémon from being poisoned. - Galarian Ponyta Line
Hunger Switch: The Pokémon changes its form, alternating between its Full Belly Mode and Hangry Mode after the end of each turn. - Morpeko

Double Iron Bash: The user rotates, centering the hex nut in its chest, and then strikes with its arms twice in a row. This may also make the target flinch.
Snipe Shot: The user ignores the effects of opposing Pokémon’s moves and Abilities that draw in moves, allowing this move to hit the chosen target.
Jaw Lock: This move prevents the user and the target from switching out until either of them faints. The effect goes away if either of the Pokémon leaves the field.
Stuff Cheeks: The user eats its held Berry, then sharply raises its Defense stat.
No Retreat: This move raises all the user’s stats but prevents the user from switching out or fleeing.
Tar Shot: The user pours sticky tar over the target, lowering the target’s Speed stat. The target becomes weaker to Fire-type moves.
Magic Powder: The user scatters a cloud of magic powder that changes the target to Psychic type.
Dragon Darts: The user attacks twice using Dreepy. If there are two targets, this move hits each target once.
Teatime: The user has teatime with all the Pokémon in the battle. Each Pokémon eats its held Berry.
Octolock: The user locks the target in and prevents it from fleeing. This move also lowers the target’s Defense and Sp. Def every turn.
Bolt Beak: The user stabs the target with its electrified beak. If the user attacks before the target, the power of this move is doubled.
Fishious Rend: The user rends the target with its hard gills. If the user attacks before the target, the power of this move is doubled.
Court Change: With its mysterious power, the user swaps the effects on either side of the field.
Clangorous Soul: The user raises all its stats by using some of its HP.
Body Press: The user attacks by slamming its body into the target. The higher the user’s Defense, the more damage it can inflict on the target.
Decorate: The user sharply raises the target’s Attack and Sp. Atk stats by decorating the target.
Drum Beating: The user plays its drum, controlling the drum’s roots to attack the target. This also lowers the target’s Speed stat.
Snap Trap: The user snares the target in a snap trap for four to five turns.
Pyro Ball: The user attacks by igniting a small stone and launching it as a fiery ball at the target. This may also leave the target with a burn.
Aura Wheel: Morpeko attacks and raises its Speed with the energy stored in its cheeks. This move’s type changes depending on the user’s form.
Breaking Swipe: The user swings its tough tail wildly and attacks opposing Pokémon. This also lowers their Attack stats.
Overdrive: The user attacks opposing Pokémon by twanging a guitar or bass guitar, causing a huge echo and strong vibration.
Apple Acid: The user attacks the target with an acidic liquid created from tart apples. This also lowers the target’s Sp. Def stat.
Grav Apple: The user inflicts damage by dropping an apple from high above. This also lowers the target’s Defense stat.
Spirit Break: The user attacks the target with so much force that it could break the target’s spirit. This also lowers the target’s Sp. Atk stat.
Strange Steam: The user attacks the target by emitting steam. This may also confuse the target.
Life Dew: The user scatters mysterious water around and restores the HP of itself and its ally Pokémon in the battle.
Obstruct: This move enables the user to protect itself from all attacks. Its chance of failing rises if it is used in succession. Direct contact harshly lowers the attacker’s Defense stat.
False Surrender: The user pretends to bow its head, but then it stabs the target with its disheveled hair. This attack never misses.
Meteor Assault: The user attacks wildly with its thick leek. The user can’t move on the next turn, because the force of this move makes it stagger.
Steel Beam: The user fires a beam of steel that it collected from its entire body. This also damages the user.

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Haven’t had a chance to play but I think ditto will nearly be a necessity since Dynamaxing in a 3v3 format is ridiculously broken
Ditto is definitely a top tier Mon (A minimum), due to punishing stupidly broken HO mons. Completely agree and ditto will probably be like 20-30% usage in a BSS meta id reckon after people optimize and focus less on trying out new toys.

I've been researching into Sword and Shield for a few days, I've enjoyed looking into some of the new pokemon, a lot of whom I think are pretty interesting and cool. I do have one major complaint about competitive Sword/Shield and wanted to put it out there. I thought I'd give some opening thoughts about Dynamaxing as I see it currently.

Dynamax:

By far the biggest offender this generation is Dynamax, it is more broken than Z-Moves IMO as it is currently. I'm just not a fan of it as a mechanic in general. I understand it from a perspective of storytelling, however it is completely un-competitive and I suspect the meta will be a bit silly and heavily geared towards hyper offence (and most likely not very fun after the dust settles and people have gotten bored of trying new toys). There are a multitude of issues with Dynamax, but the main ones from my personal perspective are as follows:

1. Doubling HP

Needless to say that this is silly on most set up sweepers since that added bulk can allow pokemon really restricts revenge killing as the power of Dynamax moves is not doubled. Doubling the power of the moves themselves would clearly mitigate this but dynamax moves are already too strong so it would make regular pokemon just drop to Max Moves. There is a reason why stuff like Zygarde Complete is utterly broken and Dynamax makes pokemon with even higher HP stats than Zygarde Complete.

2. Secondary effects of Max Moves

The main offenders and most broken Max Moves it seems are Flying, Fighting and Water type Max Moves, which give +1 speed, +1 attack and Rain. This when combined with the extra bulk and the natural power of these moves essentially makes them broken. Imagine power up punch or flame charge being 90+ BP. Max Moves are naturally great anyways, but these three typings have broken secondary effects.

3. Dynamax doesn't require items and interacts with items multiplicatively

Dynamax does not require items and as well as this, it also interacts with them. For example being able to change up moves on Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets whilst getting these boosts still. This essentially nullifies the drawback of these items meaning you cannot play around choice lock. This can also be seen in Galarian Darmanitan's Gorilla Tactics. Being able to Dynamax T1 and then be able to choose an attack with Band/Scarf, whilst also getting the boosts from secondary effects of max moves is also silly.

4. Unpredictability

This is something that generation 7 had with Z-Moves but even worse. There is an extra element because of dynamaxers not needing items which means any pokemon can dynamax on any turn, messing up a calc that you previously had planned, potentially creating 50/50s every single turn of the game due to the influence of dynamaxing and the already fast pace of gen 8. Z-moves require pokemon to have the item and are only generally beneficial on certain pokemon even though they were problems in Gen 7. If the situation calls it and I have no doubt as people get more used to the mechanics, any pokemon will dynamax, whether it is to set up with a surprise set or to live a key hit with dynamax. The offensive uses of Dynamax are documented and probably stronger, but niche defensive uses are also possible. Any pokemon with decentish coverage will also have the "random tech z-move" with dynamaxing too.

I do hope gamefreak reconsiders this mechanic in competitive play, especially in 3v3s where games are short as is.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I've been researching into Sword and Shield for a few days, I've enjoyed looking into some of the new pokemon, a lot of whom I think are pretty interesting and cool. I do have one major complaint about competitive Sword/Shield and wanted to put it out there. I thought I'd give some opening thoughts about Dynamaxing as I see it currently.

Dynamax:

By far the biggest offender this generation is Dynamax, it is more broken than Z-Moves IMO as it is currently. I'm just not a fan of it as a mechanic in general. I understand it from a perspective of storytelling, however it is completely un-competitive and I suspect the meta will be a bit silly and heavily geared towards hyper offence (and most likely not very fun after the dust settles and people have gotten bored of trying new toys). There are a multitude of issues with Dynamax, but the main ones from my personal perspective are as follows:

1. Doubling HP

Needless to say that this is silly on most set up sweepers since that added bulk can allow pokemon really restricts revenge killing as the power of Dynamax moves is not doubled. Doubling the power of the moves themselves would clearly mitigate this but dynamax moves are already too strong so it would make regular pokemon just drop to Max Moves. There is a reason why stuff like Zygarde Complete is utterly broken and Dynamax makes pokemon with even higher HP stats than Zygarde Complete.

2. Secondary effects of Max Moves

The main offenders and most broken Max Moves it seems are Flying, Fighting and Water type Max Moves, which give +1 speed, +1 attack and Rain. This when combined with the extra bulk and the natural power of these moves essentially makes them broken. Imagine power up punch or flame charge being 90+ BP. Max Moves are naturally great anyways, but these three typings have broken secondary effects.

Dynamax does not require items and as well as this, it also interacts with them. For example being able to change up moves on Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets whilst getting these boosts still. This essentially nullifies the drawback of these items meaning you cannot play around choice lock. This can also be seen in Galarian Darmanitan's Gorilla Tactics. Being able to Dynamax T1 and then be able to choose an attack with Band/Scarf, whilst also getting the boosts from secondary effects of max moves is also silly.

4. Unpredictability

This is something that generation 7 had with Z-Moves but even worse. There is an extra element because of dynamaxers not needing items which means any pokemon can dynamax on any turn, messing up a calc that you previously had planned, potentially creating 50/50s every single turn of the game due to the influence of dynamaxing and the already fast pace of gen 8. Z-moves require pokemon to have the item and are only generally beneficial on certain pokemon even though they were problems in Gen 7. If the situation calls it and I have no doubt as people get more used to the mechanics, any pokemon will dynamax, whether it is to set up with a surprise set or to live a key hit with dynamax. The offensive uses of Dynamax are documented and probably stronger, but niche defensive uses are also possible. Any pokemon with decentish coverage will also have the "random tech z-move" with dynamaxing too.

I do hope gamefreak reconsiders this mechanic in competitive play, especially in 3v3s where games are short as is.
Its a shame, because I think without Dynamax, this meta would be really fun to play, with almost every play style being viable and a lot of cool, unique mons can shine when they weren't able to previously. I don't think as it currently stands that I would be interested in a competitive 3 vs 3 metagame with Dynamaxing being legal, as I do not want to be forced to play a singular playstyle with 5 turn games completely rooted in explosive play. This feels like a Pokemon cartridge playthrough, where I just mindlessly click attacks without consequence, and that doesn't seem too appealing to me.

Again, this is all being said before playing 1 game of BSS, but I definitely echo Ika's sentiment that Dynamax in its current for is completely unhealthy in OU, let alone BSS.

Some of many changes I would like to see to make it more competitive:
HP Boost: 2.0x --> 1.5x
Dynamax effect: Only applicable for the first Max Move used. No snowballing Dynamax effects for mindless setup sweeping.
Incompatibility with Choiced Items, or requirement for Choiced Items to stay locked into the max move of the first move slot selected.
Slight reduction in max move power.

I think it has been confirmed in research threads that Dynamaxed pokemon do not get boosts from choice items.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I think it has been confirmed in research threads that Dynamaxed pokemon do not get boosts from choice items.
The way pokemon showdown is right now is that turn 1 when you click ur first max move you get the boost. Turns after you do not. Might be a bug but its current setup is nuts.

How does Ditto interact with Dynamax?

The way pokemon showdown is right now is that turn 1 when you click ur first max move you get the boost. Turns after you do not. Might be a bug but its current setup is nuts.
The mechanics suggest speed boosts such as Chlorophyll and Thunder Wave now occur mid battle on the turn their applied. Good chance that Dynamax works the same way.

Viability Rankings v 0.1

So I've taken upon myself to start the Viability Rankings by removing every Pokémon that isn't in Galar just yet. That means we can start discussing on how Dexit affected their status. I don't have enough knowledge to give my opinion right regarding the status of everyone, and the new ones because I don't even got the game yet, as I'm waiting for it to arrive, but this gen, I want to become a Master Ball player, and in all formats Battle Stadium has, so here's my contribution to the cause.

S Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

Mimikyu

A Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the Battle Spot Singles metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be overlooked when compared to their positive traits.

A+

Aegislash
Hippowdon
Snorlax

A

Ferrothorn

A-

Excadrill
Mamoswine
Rotom-H
Toxapex

B Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the format. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

B+

Glalie
Hydreigon
Kommo-o
Rotom-W
Tyranitar

B

Cloyster
Diggersby
Gyarados
Pelipper

B-

Araquanid
Chandelure
Espeon
Umbreon

C Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that have a niche in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon fill unique roles that are valuable on certain teams but have numerous flaws that hold them back. Pokemon in this rank may actually outperform those in higher ranks with specific team support but often depend too much on their teammates to function.

Clefable
Ditto
Eevee
Gastrodon
Gengar
Milotic
Quagsire
Shedinja
Shuckle
Whimsicott
Wobbuffet

Viability Rankings v 0.1

So I've taken upon myself to start the Viability Rankings by removing every Pokémon that isn't in Galar just yet. That means we can start discussing on how Dexit affected their status. I don't have enough knowledge to give my opinion right regarding the status of everyone, and the new ones because I don't even got the game yet, as I'm waiting for it to arrive, but this gen, I want to become a Master Ball player, and in all formats Battle Stadium has, so here's my contribution to the cause.

S Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

Mimikyu

A Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the Battle Spot Singles metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be overlooked when compared to their positive traits.

A+

Aegislash
Hippowdon
Snorlax

A

Ferrothorn

A-

Excadrill
Mamoswine
Rotom-H
Toxapex

B Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the format. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

B+

Glalie
Hydreigon
Kommo-o
Rotom-W
Tyranitar

B

Cloyster
Diggersby
Gyarados
Pelipper

B-

Araquanid
Chandelure
Espeon
Umbreon

C Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that have a niche in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon fill unique roles that are valuable on certain teams but have numerous flaws that hold them back. Pokemon in this rank may actually outperform those in higher ranks with specific team support but often depend too much on their teammates to function.

Clefable
Ditto
Eevee
Gastrodon
Gengar
Milotic
Quagsire
Shedinja
Shuckle
Whimsicott
Wobbuffet
It’s too early to create a viability rankings when metagame has only been a couple of days old literally. We should at least wait until latest online competition is finished to decide a viability rankings. Also Gengar should be in B rank, or higher Araquanid.

I'm just going off how it currently works in showdown atm. I'll be glad if this is true, but it still has the core problem (being able to change moves up on choice locked pokemon).

I noticed that when you Dyna and use a water attack, the rain comes out after the attack. Does it mean that the first DynaWater isn't Rain boosted or is it a SD bug?

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I noticed that when you Dyna and use a water attack, the rain comes out after the attack. Does it mean that the first DynaWater isn't Rain boosted or is it a SD bug?
This is correct, the rain comes after. As a side effect. if you were to say... use Sash Sandaconda with Sand Spit and use Max Geyser, Sand would actually overwrite the rain! It's why I'm curious about using it on a sand team at the moment. Well that, and Sandaconda gets Stealth Rock + Glare which sounds lowkey amazing lol

If I'm trying to be perfectly honest, I really do not like what I am seeing right now in BSS. Since this is the beginning of the generation, I am mainly playing on cart and the experience in BSS Master Ball Tier is... not so good compared to previous generations. Dynamaxing in general feels SO broken. It's ability to unlock choice items, change weather (and so increase damage), and gain a huge HP bulk makes regular pokemons so vulnerable and defenseless. Take this situation for instance: I took Scarf Darminitan as my lead, and the opposing lead is, say, Dragapult. Since there is almost no way for me to predict what moveset and item that Dragapult carries in this current meta, Icicle Crash (or U-Turn for breaking a potential sash) seems like a logical choice. It then immediately fires a fire blast which OHKOs Darminitan, revealing its scarf. With it locking fire blast it seems logical to use boost attackers such as Gyarados to DD/Max-Airstream to gain some momentum. Then boom, Dragapult dynamaxes and uses Max Lightning. This is why I say this Dynamax mechanic really needs to be changed somehow because items like scarf are so good that it only makes sense if it comes with a risk, which is locking moves. But now it seems like high speed pokemons could abuse this mechanic to make their checks even fewer, with them not fearing scarf revenge killers at all and lower speed boost attackers. Other situations like Dynamaxing to tank super effective hits to trigger weakness policy, Dynamxing to kill a pokemon that you should have no business to kill (E.g. +2 Life Orb Mimikyu Max Phantasm deals 75.1 - 88.9% to 252HP & 252Def Ferrothorn, while further lowering its defense after attack, lol) Oh, and some viable checks for certain pokemon are cut due to Dexit. The best way to deal with dynamaxed pokemons is to counter them with one of your own, and so that's why I concluded that this mechanic is pretty much busted.

For me it seems like the entire result of many matches in Master Ball Tier solely depends on how each player utilizes Dynamax, which is so unpredictable at times and I really don't think this way-too-unpredictable mechanic is healthy for the competitive environment.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Take this situation for instance: I took Scarf Darminitan as my lead, and the opposing lead is, say, Dragapult. Since there is almost no way for me to predict what moveset and item that Dragapult carries in this current meta, Icicle Crash (or U-Turn for breaking a potential sash) seems like a logical choice. It then immediately fires a fire blast which OHKOs Darminitan, revealing its scarf. With it locking fire blast it seems logical to use boost attackers such as Gyarados to DD/Max-Airstream to gain some momentum. Then boom, Dragapult dynamaxes and uses Max Lightning.
This to me just seems like smart play and building by your opponent and poor assessment on your part, this doesn’t make Dynamax uncompetitive. Choice-item users are usually 4 attacks, Dracopult has 2 STABs to use, it revealed a Fire move, what would the fourth move be? Maybe U-turn? But Thunderbolt makes a lot of sense on a Scarf set as it can revenge kill +1 Gyara. This is why Gyara’s post popular item at the moment is Wacan Berry.

I don’t know why people are surprised that it’s best to answer an opponent’s Dynamax with your own Dynamax. The whole story mode teaches you this, the only time they make you fight an in-game Dynamax is with 3 friends, and even then you can Dynamax yourself. Predicting a Dynamax is just going to have to be a skill people learn, just like predicting Z moves in gen 6 or basically any set any mon uses. People aren’t going to Dynamax their worst team member, you’ll be able to predict it when they’re choice-locked into a bad move, or have something that benefits from a max move like the water, fire, fighting, or flying moves.

As someone who very vocally HATED Z moves from day 1 last gen, I am really enjoying the Dynamax mechanic at the moment. I understand it’s all personal preference but I think people need to give learning the mechanic a little more before adamantly hating it.

I do think there has been an expectation, a trap I have fallen into personally in the last few weeks, that Nintendo would balance the games from a competitive standpoint. In reality, Nintendo probably put Dynamax in because it sounded cool and kids would get hype about it in ingame playthroughs, with a cursory idea of balancing in VGC and very little to no thought about singles play. This is in great contrast to the heavily calculated balancing of Smogon Tiers, though not to say that Dynamax could not work in spite of the lack of thought put into it competitively. I do agree with a lot of the complaints given about Dynamax and have been known to be extremely vocal on them myself, but ultimately the reason I've stopped is there is not really anything to be done about it. Dynamax is part of Sword/Shield Battle Stadium Singles. Like it or not, this is not OU where they can choose to ban mechanics and we accept the hand we are dealt and try create a metagame out of it.

If this current Sword/Shield is not for you after you've tried stuff out, then it is probably best to move on. The great thing about Smogon/Pokemon Showdown is there are a variety of tiers to play based on what you prefer and we all have our personal preferences. Battle Spot Singles, in all its generations has always been a heavily flawed meta with extremely broken mechanics, z-moves from Generation 7 being an obvious example but you also easily point out mega Kangaskhan in ORAS. If you can get past that and you find something you like in all the sillyness, then perhaps you can find something in the cartridge formats for you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)