Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

what elo on showdown’s bss ladder is roughly equivalent to masterball tier? Obviously there isn’t a perfect rule of a thumb but a general range should exist

I don’t have time to do a full rate, but I don’t love Jolteon here. It’s kinda limited in what it can do, and it’s not like your team is that electric weak, especially since you have Rhyperior as well. I would suggest replacing Jolteon with something else myself.
Jolteon is my main counter to Charizard

I’d argue your bigger problem is with strong Dark types since you aren’t running any Fairy types.

Edit: or any Dark Type resists for that matter.
Yea but thats why scizor solves most of my problem. On the ladder I have been doing alright which I am surprise because it seem unbalance to me lol. If I someone make it to top 500 I might actually make the team.

Yea but thats why scizor solves most of my problem. On the ladder I have been doing alright which I am surprise because it seem unbalance to me lol. If I someone make it to top 500 I might actually make the team.
How do you beat Focus Sash Urshifu-S or Hydreigon packing a fire move though?

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it but doesn’t make sense on paper.

Yea, but it not as bad as you think. I did make one change so here is the new team. https://pokepast.es/b3c6bd0784cccf61
Has Gooey helped you that much for Goodra? I would think Sap Sipper would be useful here, mainly for the Grass moves like Spore, Sleep Powder, and Leech Seed which can be annoying at times.
Also, I might try out an EV spread of 196 HP, 252 SpA, and 60 Spe EVs in Goodra (with Modest) as this allows Goodra to outspeed Rotom forms with no (or 4 speed EVs worth of) speed investment, which can help at times.

Last edited:
Don't usually post here but I'm bored so here's a team I'd like to both share and get some feedback on: https://pokepast.es/b2d86571e60dd8e6; Hit #382 on-cart with it last night
Nothing really unusual here, Hydreigon and Azumarill are there to outgun fast and bulky offense respectively, Lapras to overwhelm balance teams while helping Urshifu with special hits, and then Urshifu to do Urshifu Things and get rid of anything defensive (or double as a cleaner with Airstream). Skarmory is chosen over Ferrothorn for the Fighting neutrality and ability to phase (Sturdy/Whirlwind can also be an occasional panic button), and Dracozolt is there so I can have a sweeper to default to instead of being completely reactionary to the opponent's team. 4/6 mons are good Dynamax abusers so that I'm not completely predictable on preview.
The mon I'm not really sure about is Lapras; it's an easy point of entry for opposing Urshifu and is dead weight if something else has already Dynamaxed. It also doesn't provide any additional matchups that I wouldn't just throw Azumarill at, barring the occasional rain team or Dracovish. The team isn't super fragile so losing screens wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, looking for potential suggestions on another mon that'd be too bulky to easily break while still offering enough damage to be scary after Weakness Policy. I considered Snorlax but BD/Curse is too easily exploitable, WP would be dumb, and it doesn't hit hard enough unboosted.

Hello everyone I just want to know your thoughts on this team https://pokepast.es/a6e5d91457c69562
Like others have said, Jolteon isn't really doing much and you lose to Fire and Dark. Dragons also usually carry fire moves for quad-weak Steel types so you're also going to be losing to them too. And unless you already have Light Screen up, you're not going to have any safe switchins to most Specs users. All of these flaws could be patched up a fair amount if you swapped out Jolteon for a fat Fairy, like Sylveon or Primarina.
I'd also get rid of Swords Dance on Rhyperior and swap it for a fighting move; if you're using Rhyperior right you're already boosted from WP, and can still get more attack boosts anyway from Max Knuckle while also patching up your Fighting weakness a little bit. I'd also get rid of Protect on Ferrothorn and give it Power Whip to scare away opposing Rotom-W. Protect would primarily be used to heal above a kill threshold and keep you around for another turn, but that's only really useful in situations where a) you're weakened already and b) your opponent doesn't have an easy switchin (in your case anything with a fire move). In such situations it's very easy for your opponent to Dynamax and pick you off while setting up, in which case Protect is a wasted turn. While Protect does have its uses, such uses have common counterplay and aren't worth being fodder to Rotom-W's wisps and tricks.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
That's a really solid team, honestly Snorlax don't seem like such a bad idea because you are still kind of looking for an offensive Pokemon that can also act as a secondary special sponge. I agree Curse Recycle is a bit too slow to work on this team, but there's another set option for Snorlax: Yawn Snorlax makes a lot of sense on this team, and you already have Stealth Rock support to boot. Yawn isn't a free switch in to Urshifu, either, nor is it gimmicky like WP Snorlax.

If you aren't comfortable with the Fighting weakness, you can try Pokemon like Sylveon which can work well here, too. It is another Yawn user, isn't weak to Urshifu and it also gives you an extra way to play around Dracozolt in case you don't want to or cannot bring Hydreigon for some reason - you do have 3 Pokemon outsped and OHKOed by Dracozolt after all, so having a second way to beat it would diversify your options in preview. If you want to keep a WP attacker, I'm sure something like WP Rhyperior can fit here still. I've seen heavily speed (near neutral max speed) invested sets faster than minimally invested Primarina, meant to be used outside of Trick Room. Something like that would be an option.

Good luck with your laddering!

Has Gooey helped you that much for Goodra? I would think Sap Sipper would be useful here, mainly for the Grass moves like Spore, Sleep Powder, and Leech Seed which can be annoying at times.
Also, I might try out an EV spread of 196 HP, 252 SpA, and 60 Spe EVs in Goodra (with Modest) as this allows Goodra to outspeed Rotom forms with no (or 4 speed EVs worth of) speed investment, which can help at times.
Yes because most physical attacks are making direct damage, so if I survive Goodra out speeds and if I faint the next pokemon I have will out speed it

That's a really solid team, honestly Snorlax don't seem like such a bad idea because you are still kind of looking for an offensive Pokemon that can also act as a secondary special sponge. I agree Curse Recycle is a bit too slow to work on this team, but there's another set option for Snorlax: Yawn Snorlax makes a lot of sense on this team, and you already have Stealth Rock support to boot. Yawn isn't a free switch in to Urshifu, either, nor is it gimmicky like WP Snorlax.

If you aren't comfortable with the Fighting weakness, you can try Pokemon like Sylveon which can work well here, too. It is another Yawn user, isn't weak to Urshifu and it also gives you an extra way to play around Dracozolt in case you don't want to or cannot bring Hydreigon for some reason - you do have 3 Pokemon outsped and OHKOed by Dracozolt after all, so having a second way to beat it would diversify your options in preview. If you want to keep a WP attacker, I'm sure something like WP Rhyperior can fit here still. I've seen heavily speed (near neutral max speed) invested sets faster than minimally invested Primarina, meant to be used outside of Trick Room. Something like that would be an option.

Good luck with your laddering!
True its just that dynamax dracozolt bothers me and how certain pokemon work together. I added Mudsdale on this them just to deal with rotom heat better.

Don't usually post here but I'm bored so here's a team I'd like to both share and get some feedback on: https://pokepast.es/b2d86571e60dd8e6; Hit #382 on-cart with it last night
Nothing really unusual here, Hydreigon and Azumarill are there to outgun fast and bulky offense respectively, Lapras to overwhelm balance teams while helping Urshifu with special hits, and then Urshifu to do Urshifu Things and get rid of anything defensive (or double as a cleaner with Airstream). Skarmory is chosen over Ferrothorn for the Fighting neutrality and ability to phase (Sturdy/Whirlwind can also be an occasional panic button), and Dracozolt is there so I can have a sweeper to default to instead of being completely reactionary to the opponent's team. 4/6 mons are good Dynamax abusers so that I'm not completely predictable on preview.
The mon I'm not really sure about is Lapras; it's an easy point of entry for opposing Urshifu and is dead weight if something else has already Dynamaxed. It also doesn't provide any additional matchups that I wouldn't just throw Azumarill at, barring the occasional rain team or Dracovish. The team isn't super fragile so losing screens wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, looking for potential suggestions on another mon that'd be too bulky to easily break while still offering enough damage to be scary after Weakness Policy. I considered Snorlax but BD/Curse is too easily exploitable, WP would be dumb, and it doesn't hit hard enough unboosted.

Like others have said, Jolteon isn't really doing much and you lose to Fire and Dark. Dragons also usually carry fire moves for quad-weak Steel types so you're also going to be losing to them too. And unless you already have Light Screen up, you're not going to have any safe switchins to most Specs users. All of these flaws could be patched up a fair amount if you swapped out Jolteon for a fat Fairy, like Sylveon or Primarina.
I'd also get rid of Swords Dance on Rhyperior and swap it for a fighting move; if you're using Rhyperior right you're already boosted from WP, and can still get more attack boosts anyway from Max Knuckle while also patching up your Fighting weakness a little bit. I'd also get rid of Protect on Ferrothorn and give it Power Whip to scare away opposing Rotom-W. Protect would primarily be used to heal above a kill threshold and keep you around for another turn, but that's only really useful in situations where a) you're weakened already and b) your opponent doesn't have an easy switchin (in your case anything with a fire move). In such situations it's very easy for your opponent to Dynamax and pick you off while setting up, in which case Protect is a wasted turn. While Protect does have its uses, such uses have common counterplay and aren't worth being fodder to Rotom-W's wisps and tricks.
Would you mind posting an updated pokepaste? The one you have up there isn’t working, and an updated pokepaste would help me rate the team too lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)