Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

Well, Alcremie on my team is because I was losing a lot to Urshifu SS(more common than RS by a lot on PS, slightly less than on cart.) It maintains coverage on Ferro w/ Mystical Fire, since I replaced Cinderace w/ it(!) Maybe most important it's immune to sleep, so for Hippo, and also the odd Butterfree which scare me. I'm not sure it's worth it but the g-max move is nice and all.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I thought Alcremie's only niche involved slow setup set with Calm Mind that hopes to just win on team preview if they don't have the right counters. There's some variation in that some use Iron Defense, some use a secondary coverage move like Mystical Fire or Stored Power, some use Draining Kiss, but either way it seems like there's no room for Baby Doll Eyes there, unless you can innovate an entirely new niche for Alcremie (which doesn't seem likely to me, but it's just a game, you're free to try.)

Well it'd be cool to do that, but 1TP suggested Hatterene over Alcremie and I'm trying that assuming I get a HA one on cart from somebody. It is also immune to sleep thanks to bouncing back Yawn/Sleep Powder, and it has Mystical Fire. It does not however resist dark for Urshifu SS so it may have to go after all.

But could Baby-Doll Eyes be any use on Ninetails-A? I'd think there since they mostly wanna sac themselves after setting veil so it's ok that you'd likely faint after using the move. They don't do so much damage, either, so that's a point for a status category move.

Traditionally, Alcremies role in team compositions was a small niche in stall/balance builds being a passable check to a lot of the setup special attackers at the time, especially in conjunction with Babiri Berry (since you would get stuff like Plot Flash Cannon Hydreigon). I used it a bit in S1-S3 and even a few times in tournament play. I've always found it pretty underwhelming personally. It's far too slow to have use on offensive builds. I'd say despite Magic Bounce being a better ability, it's probably better than Hatterene in such builds due to being able to stay at full HP and being more specially bulky vs. special attackers and not being immediately dead to Mimikyu/Dragapult.

As for random ass niche, decorate + ditto sounds funny.

I haven't much clue what's 'offense' vs 'balance,' I get stall at any rate. My team is not stall, or tr. So is Alcremie better? The Dragapult match up being favorable matters, and it's also more capable vs. Urshifu SS. Ofc there's Fini but I can't seem to get anywhere w/ that and Drifblim cause of Zapdos and the bloon is not going anywhere.

What do you guys think about Reuniclus vs Gothitelle for some trick-choice-scarfing? I stopped using Reuniclus because they usually switch and the trick fails. For example I can’t catch Toxapex because Reuniclus is a check to it. Gothitelle effectively traps it. My problem is the black sludge and if I get burned with Scald the combined damage is HUGE. So Reuniclus and her Magic Guard + Recover works better, but I have to play mind games just to catch ‘pex.

What do you guys think about Reuniclus vs Gothitelle for some trick-choice-scarfing? I stopped using Reuniclus because they usually switch and the trick fails. For example I can’t catch Toxapex because Reuniclus is a check to it. Gothitelle effectively traps it. My problem is the black sludge and if I get burned with Scald the combined damage is HUGE. So Reuniclus and her Magic Guard + Recover works better, but I have to play mind games just to catch ‘pex.
Gothitelle tricking does sound reliable, if they have a stall mon. Reuniclus should be specs and Trick not Scarf, since it has such low Spe. Perhaps Clefabloe would be better, as you can have Magic Guard and not necessarily scare out the pex.

Gothitelle tricking does sound reliable, if they have a stall mon. Reuniclus should be specs and Trick not Scarf, since it has such low Spe. Perhaps Clefabloe would be better, as you can have Magic Guard and not necessarily scare out the pex.
Yeah that makes more sense actually my Reuniclus is almost minimum speed in case they use trick room. That would free up a choice scarfer too which I was thinking about adding as an alternate for the 3v3. So I could add like a Togekiss or Latios, something that would use a choice scarf and be scary in case there’s no tricking.

Trick Choice Scarf Decidueye yay or nay? I’ve been wanting a grass pokemon in my team for a long time that isn’t Rillaboom and I think Choice Scarf is necessary for Decidueye since it’s so slow. Is it possible to outspeed Dragapult? If so that would be a incredible addition to my team because it can be super versatile, not only for doing tricks but to actually do some damage to Tapu Fini and Dragapult...

Edit: Nevermind I got confused with Knock Off, lol. Decidueye doesn’t learn Trick. Still, I’m looking for something like this haha.

Edit2: I’m going to test a Gengar in the meantime, wish it had Levitate.

Last edited:
All these teams are little variations of Zapdos, Dracovish and Landorus and it gets boring really fast.
I know the above post is going to get deleted in a bit because it is against the thread rules, but I thought I'd quickly respond to this in the hopes you see it before this happens. I've been translating top Nouthuca teams since just after the beginning of USUM. Yes a lot of the teams contain the best pokemon of the day, Zapdos, Landorus-T and Dracovish are such good pokemon. However, most people with some experience can create a passable team with the best pokemon, it takes a combination of building creativity and strong playing skill to take it to the next level which can be seen in the team builder. For example the highest placing team this season has a really interesting Tapu Bulu set, a pokemon which is otherwise seen very infrequently but covers an issue that stall traditionally has in this Generation. The third ranked team has a Hippowdon, which is nothing strange but with an expert belt set, which runs contrary to how most people see Hippowdon used. My point is, strong meta staples are going to be the backbone that hold most teams together, but most top teams in my experience have a lot of interesting quirks to them should you take the time to look.

Hey guys, fairly new here to making pokemon teams, competitive play, etc. I recently found a shiny Nihilego in the dynamax adventure caves and made a special sweeper out of it and made the following set. The official smogon website for Nihilego shows a "recommended" set and decided to build fairly around it. Below:

Dreamlite (Nihilego) @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 2 Def / 176 SpA / 2 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

I have NO idea what to do from here or what pokemon would compliment this set, but it would be very helpful if someone could help me out making a competitive set for it for Battle Stadium singles. Kind would like to go hyper offensive, but it would really help me out of someone could introduce and help me making teams so I can start breeding them. I already know the breeding process and such and how to make competitive pokemon, I just don't know how to pair them well with each other to make a good synergy team. Thanks in advance!

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Hey guys, fairly new here to making pokemon teams, competitive play, etc. I recently found a shiny Nihilego in the dynamax adventure caves and made a special sweeper out of it and made the following set. The official smogon website for Nihilego shows a "recommended" set and decided to build fairly around it. Below:

Dreamlite (Nihilego) @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 2 Def / 176 SpA / 2 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

I have NO idea what to do from here or what pokemon would compliment this set, but it would be very helpful if someone could help me out making a competitive set for it for Battle Stadium singles. Kind would like to go hyper offensive, but it would really help me out of someone could introduce and help me making teams so I can start breeding them. I already know the breeding process and such and how to make competitive pokemon, I just don't know how to pair them well with each other to make a good synergy team. Thanks in advance!
Hi, first of all I think it's important to note the importance of understanding EVs. The recommended set on Smogon is for some reason not optimized and should be something like 76 HP/4 Def/172 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe or even 84 HP/172 SpA/252 Spe. The reason for these numbers vs the EVs on the spread you posted are that a) 2 EVs in a stat do nothing and are wasted and b) take advantage of the 8n+4 rule for EVing mons at level 50. What this means is that you get 1 stat point for the first 4 EVs and then 1 point for every 8 EVs after. The spreads I gave make sure that all EVs used contribute to making stat points, and none are wasted.

As for a team, Nihilego is definitely a great pokemon to build around. It is a great check to the most used pokemon in the format, Zapdos, but unfortunately is 4x weak to common ground types like Hippowdon and Lando-T. When forming a BSS team it's often simplest to think of good partners in terms of a switching cycle. For example, if I bring in Nihilego on Zapdos, my opponent will switch to Hippowdon, and then I will switch to something to beat that - something like Tapu Fini or Ferrothorn perhaps. Both of these pokemon don't like fighting Zapdos either, so they form a good synergy with something that does like Nihilego.

I hope that helps a bit, definitely check out the team bazaar for some inspiration and feel free to ask more questions here! Welcome to Battle Stadium!

It should be noted about the spread, incase it hasn't been internalised, the reason why the particular EVs are important is that they give Nihilego a Speed Beast Boost.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Did I really just see Ferrothorn suggested as an answer to Cinderace?
Ferrothorn is a really great teammate to Nihilego, but Cinderace indeed is a shared problem to both of them.
Often, either Hippowdon or Phys Def Zapdos are often included with that duo to deal with the aforementioned Cinderace.

Can Ferrothorn answer Cinderace? An age old question inspired by that one battle where I soloed an opponent's Volcarona, Thundurus-I and Blaziken with only one spikey boi.

Lets assume a standardish Ferrothorn and Cinderace set, so no sash Ferrothorn with Boom etc.

LO Cinderace Pyro Ball OHKOs Ferrothorn, so lets say it missed which happens 10% of the time. In which case, Ferrothorn could Iron Defence, live the next hit 93.7% of the time and KO with Body Press 43.8% of the time. Of that 56.2% where Ferrothorn does not KO, it would be guaranteed a double down due to Life Orb recoil in which case Ferrothorn would win.

Ferrothorn wins: 9.37% of the time, plus the large possibility of Cinderace overpredicting makes these odds even higher.

Conclusion: If you are skilled enough Ferrothorn checks cinderace.

Calcs used in this Analysis:

252 Atk Life Orb Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 156-187 (86.1 - 103.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 127-150 (81.9 - 96.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Um two separate thoughts. Physical bulk to compliment Nihilego's base 47 Def, And something for Cinderace. If yo're looking at 2 mons Fini goes better than Ferro cause it can be physically bulky and beat non-Gunk Shot Cinderace. But Ferro is a fine teammate too you just bundle up omn Cinderace weakness from the get go. But if youu use the suggested EVs for Nihilego it outspeeds Cinderace w/ a Beast Boost, and Cinderace can't switch in on Rock moves. Also Dynamaxed Nihilego can take a HJK.

Nihilego also loses to the Urshifus, and Fini helps you there. Nihilego and Fini are both very weak to CB Rillabloom so you want something for that like Drifblim which shuts down Rilla. Your own Zapdos works well. but then why wouldn't it, it's #1. Zapdos provides fire for Ferro, too, which is needed. The three of THEM are weak to Psyshock Nihilego, so running it on your own, or a Nihilego check and/or counter is a good idea. Cinderace can check unboosted Nihilego, and provides help w/ Mimikyu which Nihilego, Zapdos, and Fini all do fairly average against. And it's also just good so if you're ok w/ using all top mons that's 4 of them right there.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking I'd run speed beast boost on nihilego. I'll check out the team bazaar but I think hippowdon would be a good bulky check for cinderace right? A screen setter such as dragapult or grimsnarl would be nice too? Then probably have core attackers such as rotom wash/oven, urshifu dark and ferrothorn for a wall.

Last edited:
Screens are good but you want to use them effectively. None of those mons are great at setting up, unless you count Nihilego Beast Boost and Urshifu Bulk Up(less than 5% usage.) I'd go w/ Rotom-H if there has to be a Rotom, for fire coverage. Then you are somewhat weak to Urshifu RS since Ferro is weak to fighting and it does large damage to Hippo and OHKOs Nihilego, so maybe Rillabloom for the 6th.

Screens are good but you want to use them effectively. None of those mons are great at setting up, unless you count Nihilego Beast Boost and Urshifu Bulk Up(less than 5% usage.) I'd go w/ Rotom-H if there has to be a Rotom, for fire coverage. Then you are somewhat weak to Urshifu RS since Ferro is weak to fighting and it does large damage to Hippo and OHKOs Nihilego, so maybe Rillabloom for the 6th.
Which item do you suggest I'd use for Rillaboom? I was thinking either assault vest or life orb, but I feel like assult vest would make more sense for Rillaboom and then life orb for Rotom-H. I don't think I'll use any screen setups then, but I'll definitely make sure to show my pokepaste for any suggestions. Where should I post that if I do also? Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it, I just don't know the meta at all :psycry:

Rillabloom's #1 item is far-and-away Choice Band but AV seems fine it sees some usage so it can't be all bad.

You should post a RMT in SS Other Teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)