5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Ah... This looks like a bug in the search algorithm for RNG Reporter.
I think my RNG Report is buggy for cave spot. I just caught a level 29 shiny Impish Klink, not from a dust cloud. I have no idea why it's impish nature. If you look at the image I posted a few posts ago the reporter shows that the impish nature is affected by synchronize which my lead had synchronize. Also I'm not too sure why I encountered the shiny Klink because Klink's encounter slot for Chargedstone Cave B2 is 1.

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Are you sure you don't have the Shiny Charm? 'Cause Frame 529 is Encounter Slot 1 (Level 29 Klink), Impish and Shiny if you have the Shiny Charm.
Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 21.05.49.png
In any case, like I said in my last post; that isn't a Cave Spot. If you're not encountering the Pokémon in a Dust Cloud, then the standard Method is used.

.com

Grumpy old man
I do have the shiny charm. Your screenshot makes more sense than mine.
View attachment 41107

Should I consider getting a new RNG Reporter? What do you use?
You should definitely download the latest RNG Reporter (the link in the first post of this thread should be up to date at the moment, although I'm afraid development has stopped on it for the most part, so any inconsistencies like this, you'll have to just "work around").

That said, there does appear to be a "Shiny Charm" radio box on the version of RNG Reporter you have, so maybe that was just an early build where they hadn't implemented that functionality yet; so who knows, maybe you'll have better luck as soon as you upgrade :).

I use PPRNG which is Mac only, so I'm afraid unless you have a OS X compatible machine as well you're out of luck on that one.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I do have the shiny charm. Your screenshot makes more sense than mine.
View attachment 41107

The bold natures indicated that synchronize changes them. Should I consider getting a new RNG Reporter? What do you use?
Unfortunately, shiny charm compatibility for 9.96.6 Beta 3 was never fully implemented either, so you'll have to use a work around.

Assuming the Cave Spot column is correct, you'll probably have to find a different seed since a spot is not "possible" on the frame where the encounter slot 8 is.

Basically, if you have the shiny charm, you can use the two following methods to determine what's around the shiny frame (I think). It works slightly differently for the frames >=3 from the shiny frame and after the shiny frame.

This applies to Pokemon not in a shaking/cave/water spot etc.

1. Generate the results in the main window with an Encounter Type of Wild Pokemon.
You'll see that frame 531 is shiny and synchable.

2. Make the two frames before the shiny frame (531) shiny and synchable as well.
This does not change the encounter slots. You'll see that frame 529 matches the Klink you got. So frames 529-531 should be shiny and synchable.

1. Generate results with an Encounter Type of Wild Pokemon (Cave Spots)
2. Make 1 frame immediately before and after the shiny frame shiny and the same nature as the shiny frame.
So frames 529-531 should be shiny and synchable.

The encounter slots will match what the reporter lists.

If you care why I think it's slightly different for the cave spots:
I really recommended doing this on paper.

1. Generate the results for an Encounter Type of Wild Pokemon.
2. Make the two frames before the shiny frame shiny and the same nature as the current shiny frame. So, frames 529 and 530 become shiny and synchable--the same as 531.
3. Shift the Encounter slots values down 1 frame (in other words, the slot for frame 530 becomes the slot for 529, 529 becomes 528, etc) from how they are listed with the Encounter Type as Wild Pokemon.
You are actually shifting the PID, so technically the abilities, genders, etc shift as well. Don't mess with the shininess at this point!

So basically it seems like it makes the two frames before the shiny frame shiny and the same nature as the original shiny frame (wow, that's a mouthful). It then shifts the other PID info a frame, making it seem like 1 before and after.

Not sure if there's another way to check all that without manually checking each seed. :/

Last edited:
The seed is determined before you can even do anything so there is no difference in methods. It's probably just the usual timer trolling.

Aside from it having to say "true" if you want it shiny (iirc), it doesn't matter what combo you manipulate. Just pick whatever ones you like, or which ones make a decent frame shiny. Just a word of warning: Getting the right PID frame is a pain with all the NPCs when you go to rng your starter. I'd keep that in mind when you chose your frame (and thereby IDs).
The thing is, whatever I do, I cannot get my right TID. I know it could very well be Timer0 trolling, but you'd think it will eventually work, right?

When I was doing Dream Radar, I basically always had my Timer0 at 1104 because it worked almost all the times. Should I stick with it or try the other ones too? I've tried a lot of stuff, but it just doesn't seem to work. I enter the Seed for the spread in the main window and find the starting frame. I then look for the nature I want (preferably one that isn't insane) and make a note of the frame. I then insert the Seed and the frame I want shiny in Pandora's Box and then look for a combi that has True for Starter and preferably one that has almost no advances. After that, it's just trying to hit my seed, play and check my TID only to be dissapointed. Should I actually make a save first, then try to hit my seed, delete the save and then go for the TID?

Edit -> Oh yeah, forgot to mention. If I find a combi and then insert the combi in Pandora's box, the starter box changes to false every time. Is that because you can only reliably look for starters if you plug in the seed as opposed to your PID or your TID/SID?

Edit2 -> Forgot about the Seed Finder. I plugged in two of my common IDs I got. Turns out it switches between 1104 and 1107, however, the initial frame is 36 instead of 28. Is there anything I can do with this? Like, look for a frame at like 38 or so and then do 2 advances instead of 10 like you would expect? (I'll try it anyway)

Edit3 -> Huh, it actually worked. On my second try, I hit a 37 frame by advancing once and got the right ID! Guess it should be alright now. =)

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
The thing is, whatever I do, I cannot get my right TID. I know it could very well be Timer0 trolling, but you'd think it will eventually work, right?

When I was doing Dream Radar, I basically always had my Timer0 at 1104 because it worked almost all the times. Should I stick with it or try the other ones too? I've tried a lot of stuff, but it just doesn't seem to work. I enter the Seed for the spread in the main window and find the starting frame. I then look for the nature I want (preferably one that isn't insane) and make a note of the frame. I then insert the Seed and the frame I want shiny in Pandora's Box and then look for a combi that has True for Starter and preferably one that has almost no advances. After that, it's just trying to hit my seed, play and check my TID only to be dissapointed. Should I actually make a save first, then try to hit my seed, delete the save and then go for the TID?

Edit -> Oh yeah, forgot to mention. If I find a combi and then insert the combi in Pandora's box, the starter box changes to false every time. Is that because you can only reliably look for starters if you plug in the seed as opposed to your PID or your TID/SID?
Are you able to determine which Timer0 you are actually getting? Note: If you try to search for the seed based on the IDs you actually get, Pandora's box only searches the min Timer0 set in your profile. If you're getting a different Timer0 consistently, then it may be worth switching.

Your method sounds right. I don't think it matters whether you are starting from a fresh cart or deleting your save file and then advancing your frames. Your seed is already determined by that point. But if you want to follow the guide to a T, then I guess you could try creating save file first, hitting your seed, deleting your save, and then advancing the frames (without SRing after you hit your seed of course :P).Actually, the guide says to delete your profile before hitting your seed. Reading is hard.

I don't know why that "false" thing happens to be honest. Perhaps when you enter a TID/SID, it searches against the seed and frame you enter to see whether you can get a shiny starter. If you don't enter a seed and frame, it has nothing to search against so it returns "false." That's pure speculation though. I can get it to say true if I enter a seed, frame, TID, and SID. Either way, you're better off checking if the combo works in the main window rather than in Pandora's Box :)

edit: Glad to hear you got it. :) Pandora's starting frame is notoriously incorrect iirc.

Last edited:
Are you able to determine which Timer0 you are actually getting? Note: If you try to search for the seed based on the IDs you actually get, Pandora's box only searches the min Timer0 set in your profile. If you're getting a different Timer0 consistently, then it may be worth switching.

Your method sounds right. I don't think it matters whether you are starting from a fresh cart or deleting your save file and then advancing your frames. Your seed is already determined by that point. But if you want to follow the guide to a T, then I guess you could try creating save file first, hitting your seed, deleting your save, and then advancing the frames (without SRing after you hit your seed of course :P).Actually, the guide says to delete your profile before hitting your seed. Reading is hard.

I don't know why that "false" thing happens to be honest. Perhaps when you enter a TID/SID, it searches against the seed and frame you enter to see whether you can get a shiny starter. If you don't enter a seed and frame, it has nothing to search against so it returns "false." That's pure speculation though. I can get it to say true if I enter a seed, frame, TID, and SID. Either way, you're better off checking if the combo works in the main window rather than in Pandora's Box :)

edit: Glad to hear you got it. :) The starting frame is notoriously incorrect iirc.
Yeah, thanks! I didn't know that the starting frame could actually be incorrect, but now that I do know, I'll make sure to use the Seed Finder more often to determine my initial frame.

And now to RNG the starter... XD Is it possible to keep saving while making sure that the NPC's don't move? On one of my tries, I hit my seed, but my SSF was 5 frames further then the initial frame. I guess it'll be trial and error though. =/ BW is so much easier lol.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yeah, thanks! I didn't know that the starting frame could actually be incorrect, but now that I do know, I'll make sure to use the Seed Finder more often to determine my initial frame.

And now to RNG the starter... XD Is it possible to keep saving while making sure that the NPC's don't move? On one of my tries, I hit my seed, but my SSF was 5 frames further then the initial frame. I guess it'll be trial and error though. =/ BW is so much easier lol.
Let me rephrase that: The initial frame in Pandora's Box can be wrong, but I've never seen (nor experienced) an instance where the "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button was wrong for standard encounters.

Unfortunately, no. Once you save, the NPCs are free to move again. It is just a bunch of trial and error, and yes, much more annoying than BW lol. I think I did mine by having the shiny frame be a couple after the initial and then spamming A to collect the starter. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Let me rephrase that: The initial frame in Pandora's Box can be wrong, but I've never seen (nor experienced) an instance where the "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button was wrong.

Unfortunately, no. Once you save, the NPCs are free to move again. It is just a bunch of trial and error, and yes, much more annoying than BW lol. I think I did mine by having the shiny frame be a couple after the initial and then spamming A to collect the starter. Good luck! :)
Whoops, should've reworded it myself as well. I also meant that just the Pandora Box initial frame can be wrong. I haven't had bad experience with the Calculate Initial PIDRNG frame button either. Guess it's down to luck. My shiny is 10 frames in, so I'll get it eventually. =)

Edit: and I got it! <3

Last edited:
does anyone know if there are any non VsSeekerable NPCs on Route 230 (platinum)? I know for Diamond you can VsSeek a NPC but not sure on Plat. Have fought two with VsSeeker (one seemed like an NPC the other one didn't) but I'm still getting random frame advances when Poke Radaring (and they are sorta inconsistent). Help?

Probably a dumb question, but I can't use my RNGReporter profile from Black 2 for White 2 right?

Finding your Timer0 in BW2 is annoying since there isn't a quick quiet cave around...

.com

Grumpy old man
Probably a dumb question, but I can't use my RNGReporter profile from Black 2 for White 2 right?

Finding your Timer0 in BW2 is annoying since there isn't a quick quiet cave around...
Finding Timer0 is easy for B2W2. You can use the Entralink Spinner calibration thing (I can't actually remember what it was called, but it's something along those lines). Although there'll be something like 5 different Timer0's you typically hit, so you'll still be pulling your hair out for other reasons.

Finding Timer0 is easy for B2W2. You can use the Entralink Spinner calibration thing (I can't actually remember what it was called, but it's something along those lines). Although there'll be something like 5 different Timer0's you typically hit, so you'll still be pulling your hair out for other reasons.
Oh yeah, the same thing you use to get your Dream Radar stuff. Didn't even think about that!

One question though, do I need to have a save file already for it to work? I'm using the Key sending thing to check my Timer0 and it seems to be off most of the time. Like, I'm fairly sure I'm hitting 31 seconds and it tells me I get 32 for some reason. And if I enter enough spins, it can't even find the seed I hit lol.

Edit -> Nevermind lol, I just read on the Unova link calibration on the site that you do in fact need a save file. Ignore my rambling!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
does anyone know if there are any non VsSeekerable NPCs on Route 230 (platinum)? I know for Diamond you can VsSeek a NPC but not sure on Plat. Have fought two with VsSeeker (one seemed like an NPC the other one didn't) but I'm still getting random frame advances when Poke Radaring (and they are sorta inconsistent). Help?
Pokearth says that there are 4 trainers on route 230 in Pt that can't be refought with the Vs. Seeker. Random frame advancements sounds like NPCs, so it seems probable that at least one of the four is moving around.

If you're still having trouble, someone in the 3/4 gen rng forum may be able to help. :)

I'm trying to RNG a GLAN Pokémon (The World Championships '12 Pikachu which is Female/Timid locked) but I only get seeds that have a target frame of 30197. (Even though I set min/max for 0/300). Is this a glitch or why is it so high?

Edit: No wonder why that target frame number seemed so familiar; it's my SID number. There's no way that's a coincidence, right?

Last edited:
It seems so trivial, but I can't find my Timer0's in my White 2 at all.

I use the Unova Link to determine the Timer0's, but almost every time, I don't get a hit after checking enough spinners. You should always find a hit, right?

Also, when I enter my DS type, RNGReporter fills in the VCount, Timer0 and VFrame, but when I used the extremes for the Timer0, I did find a hit for a Timer0 consistently (well, twice, with the same timing) that I wouldn't have found otherwise. I'm confused. I've had earlier trouble with Timer0, but not like this. Also, probably stupid, but I would assume that the Timer0s of Black 2 and White 2 should be about the same if done on the same DS or is that just bs?

I'm thinking of just trying to find a place where I can catch a 'mon and check it's stats, seems to work better?

.com

Grumpy old man
If you're using a 3DS, the latest Firmware updates (since 9.0 I believe) have changed the [expected] "calibrated seconds" (the game takes less time to boot now). Search all parameters over a larger than suggested range, and then try to narrow down to the one you'd expect. Calibrated seconds should be around 6.

If you're using a 3DS, the latest Firmware updates (since 9.0 I believe) have changed the [expected] "calibrated seconds" (the game takes less time to boot now). Search all parameters over a larger than suggested range, and then try to narrow down to the one you'd expect. Calibrated seconds should be around 6.
I'm using the regular (old) DS. =P

Should I keep checking the same time or do all the checks in a row, changing the time as I go?

Edit -> I just read on a random site that Unova Link on RNGReporter 9.96.5 is broken for some reason. Guess I'll try IVs then...

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I'm trying to RNG a GLAN Pokémon (The World Championships '12 Pikachu which is Female/Timid locked) but I only get seeds that have a target frame of 30197. (Even though I set min/max for 0/300). Is this a glitch or why is it so high?

Edit: No wonder why that target frame number seemed so familiar; it's my SID number. There's no way that's a coincidence, right?
As you said, it seems to be a bug in the Time Finder. Rather than showing the frame, it shows your SID. C/p the seed into the main window and filtering the results to find what frame actually corresponds to those IVs. You should find that the actual frame is still within your 0-300 advancement limit.

Edit -> I just read on a random site that Unova Link on RNGReporter 9.96.5 is broken for some reason. Guess I'll try IVs then...
UL Calibration in the reporter is still...buggy (even in 9.96.6, which you should probably update to if you haven't). It seems to be common having a hard time finding results consistently. Not to say people haven't had success with it. Either try different dates/times (which has helped some it seems) or just stick to the IV method. I recommend the latter.

and sorry to keep jumping in on your convos .com

Yeah, I stuck to the old method and finally found my Timer0's. Still took me way too long to get the actual combination since I couldn't hit the Timer0 I've gotten so many times before. Weird.

Anyway, now, I have another weird problem with White 2. I'm all set to catch myself a fun team, but when I go for the Seeds/IVs I got from 5th gen Timefinder, I can't get anything. And according to the Adjacent Seed Finder, I am hitting my seed, but apparently, the IVs are impossible to get this way. However, when I set my max Frame a little higher, I find that I need a Frame of 3 to get my flawless stuff. How is this possible? My min and max Frame in Timefinder are all set to 1, there's no way it could be any higher than that. Is there something I'm missing? Did Wild RNG change from White 1 to White 2?

I've never had this issue in my White. =X

PS. Sorry for all the dumb questions, I feel like a total noob eventhough I've done plenty of succesful RNGing in White (except the roamers, but screw them).

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
Yeah, I stuck to the old method and finally found my Timer0's. Still took me way too long to get the actual combination since I couldn't hit the Timer0 I've gotten so many times before. Weird.

Anyway, now, I have another weird problem with White 2. I'm all set to catch myself a fun team, but when I go for the Seeds/IVs I got from 5th gen Timefinder, I can't get anything. And according to the Adjacent Seed Finder, I am hitting my seed, but apparently, the IVs are impossible to get this way. However, when I set my max Frame a little higher, I find that I need a Frame of 3 to get my flawless stuff. How is this possible? My min and max Frame in Timefinder are all set to 1, there's no way it could be any higher than that. Is there something I'm missing? Did Wild RNG change from White 1 to White 2?

I've never had this issue in my White. =X
Could you list profile details and date/times for the seeds you're aiming for so they can be checked?

Could you list profile details and date/times for the seeds you're aiming for so they can be checked?
Sure!

ID: 50021
TID: 9606
DS Mac Address: 19FDB0C5CC
VCount: 8
GxStat: 6 (does that actually ever change?)
VFrame: 8
Timer0: I've seen 10F3, 10F4 and 10F6 but there are more. For this one, I use 10F6.
Version: White 2

As for the dates, this is what I'm aiming for (both are Synchronizable).
452EE0301B8701A6 1 None 127 1 Naughty 0 31 31 31 4 31 31 11-03-15 06:52:06 10F6 R-L-Y
3712E008C01453C7 1 None 150 1 Impish 1 31 31 31 28 31 31 12-18-15 04:19:26 10F6 R-L-X

.com

Grumpy old man
Well, erm... I don't get those results :/.
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 18.00.22.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-01 at 18.02.19.png
I'm guessing the VCount isn't listed correctly? (Maybe you can see something I've done wrong.)

If the above is all correct, do these align with the results you're getting when doing the RNG?

But no, the gxStat doesn't change unless you're doing hard-resetting vs. soft-resetting (AFAIK, probably wrong).

Well, erm... I don't get those results :/.
I'm guessing the VCount isn't listed correctly? (Maybe you can see something I've done wrong.)

If the above is all correct, do these align with the results you're getting when doing the RNG?

But no, the gxStat doesn't change unless you're doing hard-resetting vs. soft-resetting (AFAIK, probably wrong).
No, it's very different. If I take the second seed as an example, the seed is different from what's listed in your picture, plus the initial frame is 53 (mine is 50).

I've encountered a Synched Pokemon with 31 Speed and a non-Synched with 31 SpA. I never bothered to check all the stats, but these were the most common (and it helps to filter them).

Latest result was
Lillipup - #506 (Adamant)
HP: 10 - 24
Att: 9 - 22
Def: 0 - 9
SpA: 8 - 21
SpD: 10 - 24
Speed: 21, 26, 31

I've already resetted my DS though, so I can't check the rest of the stats. However, it's clear that if I plug in the time and key presses in the Adjacent Seed Finder, I do seem to find IVs that resemble this and the others I mentioned. When I change the max IV Frame to 3, the above mentioned spread (31/31/31/28/31/31) DOES show up. It's weird man.

I know that my parameters are correct because I've already RNG'd my starter shiny with 31/31/30/30/31/30 and the Timefinder search was done using the same profile, so it shouldn't be different...

It might work if I advance the IV frame, but I need my Syncher, at least one Chatot and a Sweet Scenter so I'm not too sure how I should do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)