5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

tldr version is that it shouldn't be trying to access a file that's in C:\Windows\system32\, and the reason it's erroring is because those are system files and you presumably don't have admin access on your computer. Try downloading the RNGReporter.exe and moving it (ctrl-x -> ctrl-v) to a new folder on your Desktop or something, as the program should automatically generate the profiles.xml in the same folder as the executable is saved in. If it's in a folder that you know you have access to, then it should be fine. If you try this and it's still pointing to C:\Windows\system32\, then try a different version of reporter (9.96.5 (recommended) or 10.x). If you're still having problems after this, respond to this message because I have a couple more ideas we can try.
It didn't work and there is no version of RNG reporter that has profiles that will work. I don't know if this is relevant, but it sometimes shows it as a zip file.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
It didn't work and there is no version of RNG reporter that has profiles that will work. I don't know if this is relevant, but it sometimes shows it as a zip file.
Cool, so try unzipping/extracting the .zip (winRAR or 7Zip are good choices for this if you don't know how) and then running the extracted executable. If you don't unzip it first then any external files (looking at you, profiles.xml) that it relies on it won't be able to find, and this is probably why it's looking in the wrong location.

Problem
Cool, so try unzipping/extracting the .zip (winRAR or 7Zip are good choices for this if you don't know how) and then running the extracted executable. If you don't unzip it first then any external files (looking at you, profiles.xml) that it relies on it won't be able to find, and this is probably why it's looking in the wrong location.
Problem solved. Thanks.

So I've searched/googled for nearly an hour, but wasn't able to find a clear answer. I know that Uxie, Cobalion, Terrakium, Virizion and Kyurem have additional advancements either by WNPCs or Ghetsis' scepter in B2W2. I would like to know how high these advancements are for each of them. So, I can get an idea for what target frame I should aim.
The thing is that I'm planning to rng my id on b2 for a 6x31 shiny sync frame, but I have no idea which frame to pick. I'm not a fan of doing huge amounts of chatots, but I don't want to risk missing my target frame because it was set to early. And it has been a while since I rnged these pokemon, so I have no memory about my past target frames :'D Would be nice if anybody could give me advice (:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
So I've searched/googled for nearly an hour, but wasn't able to find a clear answer. I know that Uxie, Cobalion, Terrakium, Virizion and Kyurem have additional advancements either by WNPCs or Ghetsis' scepter in B2W2. I would like to know how high these advancements are for each of them. So, I can get an idea for what target frame I should aim.
The thing is that I'm planning to rng my id on b2 for a 6x31 shiny sync frame, but I have no idea which frame to pick. I'm not a fan of doing huge amounts of chatots, but I don't want to risk missing my target frame because it was set to early. And it has been a while since I rnged these pokemon, so I have no memory about my past target frames :'D Would be nice if anybody could give me advice (:
The number of advances is dependent upon the seed and how quickly you can bring up the menu, so there's no definite number. Ballpark...I'd say 5-7 advances for each (though I admit it's been a long time). If you aim for a frame that requires 20 advances for example, that should be more than enough.

You shouldn't have a problem finding additional seeds should you pick a frame too early, however. With enough years, keypresses, and patience searching I guarantee you you'll find another seed you like. RNGing your IDs is nice so you can know your SID, but it's not necessary for ensuring you have a good frame this gen.

I feel kinda dumb. I tried various seeds to rng abuse the gift magikarp in bw (the one you have to buy on the marvelous brigde). I choose a 6x0 IV-Split, due to a friends request (needed for swap breeding). But however, I always get a 0/0/0/0/0/31 Split (confirmed through iv jugde and calculator). First I thought that I hit the wrong seed and tried it various times. But everything worked correctly (nature, gender and chatots). Then I thought it might be the seed not working properly. So, I tried three different seeds and had always the same result.
Is it even possible to rng abuse such an iv-split in 5th gen? Or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Okay, I figured it out by myself. It seems like the magikarp has a forced 31 IV stat on initiative. I entered the game serveral times on random dates and it always had this iv stat. Guess I'll have to use breeding to get the desired magikarp.

Last edited:
Okay, my current rng attempt is driving me crazy... I need to determine my ssf for thundurus in BW but I can't really find something useful in rng reporter. This is what I got so far:
Numbers of chatots / nature (how often)
+0 Quiet(10)
+10 Brave(8)
+12 Adamant
+13 Modest
+14 Quirky
+16 Hardy
+17 Impish(2)
+18 Hardy
+20 Hardy(8)
+22 Brave
+30 Careful(2)
+40 Rash

Seed 8A1BE5351331D067

It's not my first time doing this, I did several Roamers in the past and even a shiny one, mostly tornadus. I'm aware that the actual difference between the natures is not consistent (like I did 10 advancements, but it's in fact only 8 because the frame advancement during the weather is not consistent). I looked through rng reporter for three times, one search within the standard range and the other two searches within the first 1000 frames. But I couldn't find something matching ._. It would be really helpful if someone could look through rng reporter, maybe I'm just too blind to find the ssf.
Also, what throws me off is the fact that I'm consistently hitting the same nature. I had always a small range of different natures for one sort of advancement in my past rng attempts (tornadus). Like adamant, bold, hardy and naive for always ten advancements. But I tried two different seeds for thundurus and also hit only one nature per advancement. Is this normal for thundurus?
Help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Also, what throws me off is the fact that I'm consistently hitting the same nature. I had always a small range of different natures for one sort of advancement in my past rng attempts (tornadus). Like adamant, bold, hardy and naive for always ten advancements. But I tried two different seeds for thundurus and also hit only one nature per advancement. Is this normal for thundurus?
I don't know of any differences mechanically between Thundurus and Tornadus. The consistent results could mean the advances are tied to the PID frame, which is something I've theorized from this and what little White Forest RNG I've attempted (another user suggested this to me...4-5 years ago I guess). I digress, but the point is I'm not that surprised you are able to get somewhat consistent results. Though I can't say why.

Without knowing much about your setup/method, frames 1558/1561 seem pretty decent as your SSF. They match up well with the natures you've consistently gotten, though it's not perfect. It might be worth comparing the characteristics too since they might help (I have had them wrong in the distant past fwiw)...basically anything you can do to narrow down what PID you got. In case you don't know, you can right click in the main window and say "Display Characteristics in search..." to show the corresponding characteristics. Good luck!

In case you don't know, you can right click in the main window and say "Display Characteristics in search..." to show the corresponding characteristics. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for this tip. Totally forgot that feature exists ^^" I was finally able to narrow down my SSF on Frame 455/Quiet/Somewhat vain and got a timid one (after a lot of tries). Thank you very much (: I'm now able to rng for a shiny one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)