Accelgor (Analysis) (GP 0/2)

Accelgor

Ready (I think) for GP checks

QC: [X] [X] [X]
GP: [ ] [ ]

[Overview]

<p>Considering its paper thin defences, a special attack stat that's decent at best and the fact that it is vulnerable to every entry hazard, it can be hard to justify finding a place for Accelgor on your team. However, the Ninja Bug has a large enough move pool, and its stats are allocated well enough, for it to fill a number of niches and roles within the current UU metagame.</p>
<p>For example, its great 145 Speed and access to spikes make it the fastest Spike lead in the tier, even outspeeding Froslass. On top of this, its typing allows it to hit some of the most commonly used UU Pokemon such as Mew, Celebi and Azelf hard with STAB Bug Buzz, and Sticky Hold allows it to cause switches against Trick users.</p>
<p>However, Accelgor is very weak to priority attacks, as outside of a pitifully weak Quick Attack, it has no priority moves of its own. As well as this, Its 80/40/60 defences make it nigh on impossible to switch in without good prediction, as the ever-present entry hazards nullify its Focus Sash, its one way of surviving an attack.</p>

[SET]
Name: Spikes Lead
Move 1: Spikes
Move 2: Bug Buzz
Move 3: Focus Blast
Move 4: Yawn / U-Turn
Ability: Sticky Hold
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The aim of this set is simple; set up spikes and then either U-Turn out or attack as necessary. Yawn is an option, as it can cause switches after spikes have been setup, and Bug Buzz and Focus Blast are there as its two strongest attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Similarly to Froslass however, its frailty means that it has to rely on a Focus Sash to stop it fainting after the first attack, and therefore can find switching back in very difficult. Rapid Spin support is essential for this set, because if by some miracle Accelgor can switch out with its Focus Sash intact, entry hazards would nullify it when it switches back in.</p>

[SET]
Name: All-Out Offensive
Move 1: Bug Buzz
Move 2: Focus Blast
Move 3: Hidden Power Ice
Move 4: Acid Spray / Giga Drain / U-Turn
Ability: Sticky Hold
Item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the aid of a Life Orb and maximum Special Attack investment, Accelgor becomes a powerful revenge killer. It hits a maximum of 328 Special Attack with a Modest nature, and reaches 389 speed. Choice Specs are an option over a Life Orb, however the ability to switch between moves is often appreciated more than the extra power.</p>
<p>Hidden Power Ice is very useful in the UU tier, as it hits common threats such as Nidoking, and especially Donphan, on their weaker defence stat.</p>
<p>For the fourth slot, Acid Spray is only useful if a switch is predicted (or if trying to cause one), as its lack of power and Accelgor's non-existent defences mean that Accelgor is almost certain to be knocked if the opponent attacks. Giga Drain's extra coverage is fairly redundant, but always an option due to the HP recovery, and U-Turn is slashed as it allows Accelgor to function as a scout.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Not being able to use a Focus Sash on this set is a big disadvantage, as it means that Accelgor is OHKOed by a large amount of the tier. For this set to work, Rapid Spin support is very much appreciated to avoid Accelgor's HP being reduced any more than necessary, and for U-Turn to be more effective.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Countering Accelgor isn't particularly difficult; on the sets listed above it has defences of 302 / 116 / 156, so the odds of it surviving any critical hits or either boosted or super effective attacks are very small. Despite this, there are some Pokemon that can counter Accelgor particularly well. For example, chansey can wall it almost completely, along as Accelgor doesn't have Acid Spray. As well as this, Arcanine resists its STAB, so can switch in easily and can finish it off with ExtremeSpeed or easily OHKO it with any Fire type move. As well as this, Accelgor is particularly prone to being trapped and is easily taken out out by priority moves.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>As well as the above sets, Accelgor has a variety of other options in its movepool. For example, its high speed stat and the fact that it learns Rain Dance mean that it could function very similarly to Electrode in Gen 4. Also, access to Baton Pass, Substitute, Agility and Acid Armor mean that it could find a use as a baton passer, but its defences (or rather, lack of) make this not particularly viable. Swagger is also an option, as are Power Swap and Guard Share, although the latter two fit very niche roles at best.</p>

[DREAM WORLD]

<p>Accelgor gets Unburn as its Dream World ability. At first glance this might seem odd, given its high speed, but even with minimum IVs and EVs Accelgor outspeeds the entire metagame once Unburden has been activated. This could be viable on a pinch berry set; once both Unburden and a Petaya Berry have been activated, Acellgor reaches 428 Special Attack and a maximum of 778 Speed. Since it outspeeds everything though, the EVs could be moved from Speed to support its awful defences.</p>

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
gonna tell you right now to get rid of Baton Pass. Passing just Speed is kind of lol in 5th gen, and passing defense boosts has always been like the worst thing you could do unless you're on a full BP team (and then it's nice to have some defenses to pull it off, not Accelgor's frail body).

gonna tell you right now to get rid of Baton Pass. Passing just Speed is kind of lol in 5th gen, and passing defense boosts has always been like the worst thing you could do unless you're on a full BP team (and then it's nice to have some defenses to pull it off, not Accelgor's frail body).
Thanks for the advice, have removed the set.

Yawn shouldn't be slashed three times in the second set. Bug Buzz is necessary. Accelgor's Attack is so low, I myself, probably wouldn't use U-turn, even for the scouting. Note that it also has access to Encore and Substitute, which can be nestled into the set somewhere, or at least in its AC.

Yawn shouldn't be slashed three times in the second set. Bug Buzz is necessary. Accelgor's Attack is so low, I myself, probably wouldn't use U-turn, even for the scouting. Note that it also has access to Encore and Substitute, which can be nestled into the set somewhere, or at least in its AC.
Shouldn't the Spikes set be first?
Agreed with both sets of comments. Spikes should definitely be the first set with Substitute and Baton Pass at least AC if not direct slashes. While I do agree Yawn is an awesome move, I personally wouldn't use it over both Bug Buzz and U-turn.

Spikes should definitely be the first set with Substitute and Baton Pass at least AC if not direct slashes. While I do agree Yawn is an awesome move, I personally wouldn't use it over both Bug Buzz and U-turn.
Shouldn't the Spikes set be first?
Thanks, I have adjusted the analysis.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Never list 6 of anything. Change 6 HP to 4, and the order of the EVs always goes:

HP
Atk
Def
SpA
SpD
Spe

and Speed is always Spe, not Spd.

Also I think that Hydration would be more effective on him than sticky hold, what are the chanses of someone using knock off on an accelgor? since he is so frail the will just try to OHKO him and with hydration he would be a good lead for a rain team or supporter for a rain team so that if they do set up toxic spikes he could take them with no worry and he could be a great status fauder in the rain ex. burns on physical sweepers, toxic, t wave, sleep

I'd like to propose a Rain Dance support set, with Tornadus currently out of the tier Accelgor is probably the best suicide Rain Dancer in the tier. Eat your heart out, Electrode!

Accelgor @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Final Gambit
- U-Turn / Spikes

With a Rain Dance and the above EVs, Accelgor can survive even powerful attacks like Jolly LO Arcanine's Flare Blitz (85.5% - 100.9%) Once it sets up a Rain Dance and hopefully survives an attack, it can use Rest for instant 100% recovery, U Turn to get a sweeper in, Spikes to provide hazard support. Plus, if it's not been hit for whatever reason (or you've healed as the opponent switches) you can use Final Gambit to inflict 351 damage on any opponent you outspeed. Better than Explosion? Probably. If you don't like Final Gambit, Bug Buzz can be used in its place with a Naive nature.

I've used this set a lot and can confirm that its very useful for Swift Swim offense teams.

EDIT: The main reason for Sticky Hold on Accelgor is to come in on Trick Scarfers without penalty, causing them to switch and allowing Accelgor to get free Spikes.

@SuperJOCKE: Thanks, I've fixed it.

@GtM: I've added the set, thanks.

Also, what would be the viability of a Guard Share set? It could absorb the status of something like Chansey thanks to hydration, Guard Share, and then substitute on the switch. This could then be Baton Passed to something that counters their switch-in. I know this is a pretty generic gimmick at best, but I'm sure it must be usable in some capacity.

@SuperJOCKE: Done, thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: Is there anything else that could be inproved or included, or should I open it to QC?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Found somethings:

Change the overview so it says: "It's the fastest spiker in the tier", as Deoxys-S isn't relevant to UU. And Trick users instead of Scarfers.

You need a Other Options and a Dream World section.

In my opinion Encore is a lot better on Accelgor than Yawn. I personally think they should be swapped so that Encore is the first slash of the set and Yawn is in set comments. Also I doubt it needs to run 252 Speed so I would figure out how much it actually has to run to beat Electrode or some scarfer. I also wouldn't mention the part about it not having any priority moves besides Quick Attack because they would be pretty redundant on it anyway. The second set should be set up like

Move 4: Giga Drain / U-Turn / Acid Spray

because the most important moves are generally listed first. :)

In my opinion Encore is a lot better on Accelgor than Yawn. I personally think they should be swapped so that Encore is the first slash of the set and Yawn is in set comments. Also I doubt it needs to run 252 Speed so I would figure out how much it actually has to run to beat Electrode or some scarfer. I also wouldn't mention the part about it not having any priority moves besides Quick Attack because they would be pretty redundant on it anyway. The second set should be set up like

Move 4: Giga Drain / U-Turn / Acid Spray

because the most important moves are generally listed first. :)
Thing is that encore and spikes can't be togetother.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
  • You don't need to explicit state the words "Pros & Cons" in the overview, remove them.
  • The nature on the main set should be Timid, not Rash. U-turn is weak, regardless of nature and is primarily used for scouting anyway.
QC APPROVED (1/3)

Change the slashes for the fourth move on the offensive set to Acid Spray / Giga Drain / U-turn. Accelgor isn't overwhelmingly strong and needs the ability to beat walls more than the redundant coverage.

Remove the rain dance set. 8-turn weather is a gimmicky strategy to begin with, and Accelgor is not a top-tier user of rain dance.

Also remove the Rash slash on the offensive set. U-turn is weak, regardless of nature and is primarily used for scouting anyway.

Make my changes and PK Gaming's changes and I'll stamp.

QC APPROVED 2/3

On the Spikes set you should move Encore from Additional Comments to Other Options seeing as it is illegal with Spikes which is the main point of the set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)