Approved Add Nintendo Cup 1997 and 2000 as Challenge-Only Formats

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Battle Spot Leader
Can we have the official Nintendo tournament battle formats that existed during Gen 1 and 2 on PS as a challenge only option?

There are still tournaments in Japan that involves these formats but with no great way to practice it, and having it on PS is a great way for players in other countries to enjoy these formats as well.

There are '98 and '99 Nintendo Cup formats as well but they are spinoffs of '97 and nobody really plays them. '97 and 2000 are the main ones that people still play.

pre

shaving yaks and herding cats
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Leader
Note: Suggestions for new battle formats, new public/private rooms, or things Pokémon Showdown otherwise has no control over do not belong here.
I feel like no one reads the sticky... :(. Though I also don't know where exactly requests like this should go. The Immortal?

From what I can tell, 2000 you can implement this with a BSS team style custom rule (select 3 from a team of 6). '97 is strange with its odd level requirements so would require additional support.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Battle Spot Leader
I feel like no one reads the sticky... :(. Though I also don't know where exactly requests like this should go. The Immortal?

From what I can tell, 2000 you can implement this with a BSS team style custom rule (select 3 from a team of 6). '97 is strange with its odd level requirements so would require additional support.
This is not a new battle format (rather it's technically the oldest one to ever exist lol), so I thought this was ok in this forum.

Both 97 and 2000 have the same level restrictions. You bring 6 pokemon between level 50-55 and choose 3 pokemon at preview and their level sum cannot surpass 155. So this probably would require another layer in the team validator (ie lowest three levels cannot surpass 155, or else you'd get stuck at preview) and an extra feature during team preview that prevents the player from surpassing 155.

Another thing to note when implementing these formats is that they differ from "Standard GBU" in that there's actually Freeze and Sleep clause (evasion and OHKO are still allowed).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)