ADV Cup V - Round 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjdaas

this girl rly slapped some letters together huh
is a Community Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

1522641836503.png

Logo by MiniArchitect

ADV Cup Round 6
Lets find out who's the best at the best generation.

Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • Smogon Classic rules can be read here
  • Standard ADV OU
  • Best of three, single elimination.
  • Battles should take place on Pokemon Showdown!
  • Do not make baseless activity posts -- get in contact with your opponent and report missed times / scheduling issues only.
This is just a small snippet of the full rules, which one can find here!

Identity

About playing on alts: It is entirely allowed to play on an alt other than your own main forum name, though if your opponent wishes to confirm your identity, you must log on to your main alt to show them you are who you claim to be. This is to prevent people from pretending to be who they're not.

About playing on different servers: Tournament matches must be played on the Smogtours server. The Main PS! server is also acceptable if both parties agree to that. Other servers are not sanctioned by the TD team and playing in them might result in your game not counting. Protect yourself from that by playing in Smogtours, where we also have the power to recreate games that end due to DC's.

Scouting

On scouting opponents: Going through your opponents replays of tournament and ladder games is entirely allowed, as long as a game is public there is nothing preventing you from watching it. An exception to this is abusing powers granted to you by being staff on Smogon or PS! to gain access to information a normal user wouldn't have access to, which is strictly forbidden.

On leaking teams: Divulging private information about someone's planned team to their opponent is never allowed, and will be heavily sanctioned. Requesting that such information be divulged is also grounds for punishment. Keep your scouting to publicly available information and you'll be fine.

Timer Clause / Disconnections

On the Timer: The timer must stay on throughout the whole battle..

On Timeout losses: A player that loses by having all his time run out loses the game. This is only not the case if the player that received the timeout loss can be verified to have suffered a True Disconnection. Rematches are only allowed if there was a True Disconnection.

On True Disconnection: The TD team has a secret threshold of seconds that your timer must be at or above, from the moment you disconnect, for a timeout loss to be considered a True disconnection. If your game is determined to be a true disconnection if you played on Smogtours and contacted a TD before the room expired your game will be recreated up to the point the disconnect happened. It is the responsibility of the player that disconnected to get a TD into the room before it expires.

Battle Clauses:
  • Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • Baton Pass Clause: Smeargle cannot use Ingrain on Baton Pass sets.
Round 6 Pairings:

Fear vs elodin
Malekith
vs CZ.
Tamahome vs FlamingVictini
McMeghan vs SoulWind
Ojama vs Golden Sun
Fakes vs thelinearcurve
Lavos vs BKC
Meridian vs Meru

Good luck to everyone participating. Please contact your opponents and schedule in a timely fashion. Feel free to contact me privately if you have any questions or concerns!

Deadline for round 6 will be May the 26th at 23:59 GMT-4!

Last edited:
i really enjoyed our series
choked g1 when i let cele get boomed by lax and g3 when i let ddmence get boomed by lax
had immense luck but fakes was the better player throughout

ggs and gl in rest

edit:
Sorry all for the drama
if i had just lucked fakes in the one game i woulda taken win. but i rnged him badly g1 and g2 and g3.
i stand by what i did. it was not a 'friendly' or any of that other foolery, though i really really do appreciate the support from online friends and fellow competitors

i also understand where the tourney directors are coming from in terms of tournament integrity. ultimately its tourney directors decision, and i accept whichever decision is final

Last edited:
What an absurd reason to punish a player. Players should be applauded for upholding the integrity of a game, and the idea that a player does not have the right to concede a game they don't feel they should win is ludicrous. Numerous instances like this arise in sports, where players like these tennis players and this golfer are commended for refusing to gain an advantage in unfair situations. Obviously, the stochastic nature of pokemon means that instances of variability arise more often, and are more tangible, than in other games/sports, but a ruling like this sets a crazy, anti-sportsmanlike standard for this game. I encourage you all to revisit this decision.
Please do better.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
What an absurd reason to punish a player. Players should be applauded for upholding the integrity of a game, and the idea that a player does not have the right to concede a game they don't feel they should win is ludicrous. Numerous instances like this arise in sports, where players like these tennis players and this golfer are commended for refusing to gain an advantage in unfair situations. Obviously, the stochastic nature of pokemon means that instances of variability arise more often, and are more tangible, than in other games/sports, but a ruling like this sets a crazy, anti-sportsmanlike standard for this game. I encourage you all to revisit this decision.
Please do better.
The crazy unsportsmanlike standard is the one that would be upheld if there wasn't a rule against throwing games on purpose, so that you could let your friends win in Classic to boost their seeding and go unpunished. It's not what is happening here, but the rule is absolutely necessary for the integrity of the tournament, and not upholding it would set a precedent that would almost encourage collusion and intentional throwing in crucial rounds in the future.

Linear wasn't malicious, but he was foolish: he broke a rule that very explicitly states his actions would be met with a tournament ban, and that rule is integral to the tournament circuit and especially tournaments like Classic. Breaking a rule is a stupid thing to do regardless of intent, and being outraged over such a decision is nonsensical to me.

There are plenty of ways to display sportsmanship that don't involve breaking rules, and for crying out loud I'm not even sure that forfeiting a set where you were lucky should even be considered sportsmanlike at all - luck is entirely part of the game. The examples you linked show players accidentally breaking rules and admitting it, they are completely different scenarios compared to the one at hand. You could compare those episodes to someone getting their opponent's team leaked and communicating it to the TDs rather than cashing in on the advantage, NOT to mere good luck.

I feel bad for linear, he made an honest mistake and acted with the best of intents. But if you don't punish him here you set a precedent for people in the future to pull out similar stunts with malicious intents and get away with it as long as they can act credibly innocent. You need to understand that this is not a small forum, where you can afford to forgive people because you know them and you trust that they acted in good faith, it's a massive online community that needs rigid rules to make everything flow smoothly, and setting the correct precedents is important. The Tournament Directors are not evil heartless crazy bastards who like to swing the banhammer as much as they can, they're users like the rest of us who have invested a ton of time into figuring out the best policies to keep this site as cheating-free as possible. They are acting in good faith and I am sure they will do their best to minimize the punishment for a genuine mistake while still setting a severe enough precedent to dissuade malicious users in the future. But at the end of the day I don't think linear can blame anyone but himself if he does get punished, the rules against intentional throwing are clear as day.

And to be clear, I too hope linear's punishment will be as short as it can be, he did not act maliciously at all and I would be highly surprised to see him break any rules in the future again. But I think this community needs to try putting themselves in the TDs' shoes a lot more often, this is not a clear cut situation where you can carelessly excuse his actions. Calm feedback such as your post is appreciated I'm sure, but the "#fucktds" and other similar outrage in other threads is really unnecessary and inconsiderate in my opinion

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
I can only hope such a dumb rule is gonna get changed since it's a really silly one. Not only that, but we should only applaud players such as thelinearcurve, he did the right thing even though it was against the rules.
Even then, I do believe the aseptic application of aforementioned rules is pretty stupid. Hope TDs can change them for good after the tour ends.

While there is a obviously necessity for a ruleset that will deter people from throwing games, I believe that decisions regarding any sort of punishment should be taken with intention in mind. If linear's intentions were indeed not malicious (nothing indicates to the opposite as of now), then tour-banning him can't help but seem too harsh. What is truly weird to me though is that, at the same time that linear got punished, Fakes' win was deemed to be legit (or not illegitimate enough, if you prefer it that way). If you are concerned about the integrity of the tournament, you could instead hand linear some kind of warning and force the last game to be replayed with forfeiting not an option.
Last but not least, the exact same thing could had happened in Round 1 and probably nobody would even notice it because replays are not mandatory in the early stages of the tournament. I know that checking every replay would be an enormous task, but it's the only way to make sure the tournament's integrity is truly maintained and we're not just fooling ourselves that we are a community truly capable of properly hosting tournaments of this magnitude.

Please do better.
I don't think people seem to understand how important it is to not allow players to give away wins. I would not want to see a competition wherein players can throw games at will, doing so for their friends/colluders and adding an element to competition that has nothing to do with ability to compete.

this is a terrible comparison and an even worse take. in the tennis example, the decision made by the umpire was incorrect: the ball was out and called in, or was in and called out. it is not incorrect to beat your opponent in Pokemon when on average you don't... that's what makes games with variance interesting and worth playing. you would never see a tennis player let an opponent replay a point because the position they were in almost always results in a loss, but they happened to win instead.

Linear's intentions don't matter, and I think considering them in a competition gives players with credibility/notoriety an unfair advantage. the opponent who donated the win is less likely to be believed with a worse reputation, and the player receiving the gift is less likely to garner sympathy. this is a tournament, not a courtroom. A competition is supposed to make players compete at an equal level, and the result of linear's choice is more important than the reason behind it because of this. every other player in the tournament is put at a disadvantage when a different player gets a free game. I empathize with his decision, but it's childish to justify your opinion with a version of " I did what I thought was right" when your decision compromises the integrity of the tournament. it's not just about you and your opponent.

I know nothing about how often this rule is enforced and to what extent it's misused, but that should have nothing to do with whether an anti-throwing rule should exist in a competitive environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)