All Hail Gurdurr

Introduction

Hey smogon, it's Beginner14 here again bringing you another Bw Rmt. I decided to take a break from UU and start playing some lower tiers. I find NU quite interesting, where you dont see any kind of weather in this tier. I'm still quite new to this tier, so feel free to critize. After all, I did peak #3 in UU already. I think there is not much more I could do in that tier. If you want to view that RMT, I will leave the link right here:http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460005
Enough of that, Let's move on to the team.

Team at a glance

The Team

Gurdurr(M)@Eviolite
Trait-Guts
Evs:252 Hp/252 SpD/4 Spe
Careful Nature(+SpD, -SpA)
-Bulk up
-Drain punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback

I was thinking one day, "Hm, let's try out a bulk up Gurdurr" I've faced those on some occasions, and let me tell you, after even 2 bulk ups, Gurdurr is a unbreakable wall. Not only that, it's attack stat also sky rockets, ohkoeing or 2 ohkoeing the entire tier. That's how powerful this little guy is. The Evs are there to max out special defense, because since it already has bulk up to boost defense, maxing special defense instead of attack helps Gurdurr set up on most special attackers. Plus, even without Evs, Gurdurr's attack is pretty high. Drain punch is there to rejuvenate Gurdurrs health. Mach punch just to clean up faster pokes. I run payback over stone edge, just for the fact that it has a tendency to miss, and I just don't like to run stone edge. Plus, if the enemy tries to status Gurdurr, it will just benefit it in the form of guts.

Alomomola(F)@leftovers
Trait-Hydration
Evs:252 Hp/252 Def/4 Spd
Impish Nature(+Def, -SpA)
-Waterfall
-Toxic
-Wish
-Protect

Alomomola is such a boss. It can tank so many physical hits with ease. The only thing bad about it is its horrible special defense. It can get ohkoed by a strong grass or electric move. If only Alomomola gets calm mind, it would be so broken. It could stall out the opponent with toxic, followed by wish-protect combination. Although its attack is quite pathetic, waterfall is STAB after all, so why not just get some damage off on it.

Cacturne(M)@Leftovers
Trait:Water Absorb
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
Adamant Nature(+Atk, - SpA)
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Seed Bomb
- Sucker punch

This Cacturne is my second physical sweeper. It scares opposing psychic types such as hypo, and get up a free sub. Then it could set up a swords dance. After that, STAB seed bomb and sucker punches will hurt a lot. Plus, Cacturne can get a nice ability called Water Absorb. That means I could switch freely into bulky waters.

Eeleketross(M)@Life Orb
Trait-Levitate
Evs: 252 SpA/252 Hp/ 4 Spe
Modest Nature(+SpA, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-U turn

Eeleketross is my main special sweeper on this team. Although its life is severely reduced by life orb, it has great coverage, and great scouting move which is U-turn. It is also bulky enough to take a hit. The only sad thing is, it dies too quickly.

Rotom-S @Choice Scarf
Trait-Levitate
Evs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Hp
Timid Nature(+Spe, -Atk)
-Trick
-Air Slash
-Thunderbolt
-Volt switch

Rotom-S is the first time I've every used. I never used any other rotom, ever. Basically, it's function is to trick those annoying walls, to lock them into only one attack. Air slash and thunderbolt are both STABS, and volt switch, along with Eeletross's U-Turn is a great scouting pair.

Vileplume(F)@ Black Sludge
Trait: Effect spore
Evs: 252 Hp/208 Def/48 SpA
Bold Nature(+Def, -Atk)
-Aromatherapy
-Moonlight
-Giga drain
- Sludge bomb

Vileplume completes the Nu team, and is also the cleric of the team. It's ability, effect spore, has a chance of paralyzing the opponent, so that is very useful, when used with para fusion with Rotom-S. It also has moonlight to recover itself. giga drain and sludge bomb just to hit stuff. Vileplume's Nature was modest, but I changed it to Bold because according to E Beast, Modest is not needed to ohko Gorebyss after rocks.

Conclusion

I'm currently still working on this team, so if any of you guys have any suggestions, please comment. That will be greatly appreciated. That will be all for today, I'll see you all next time.

Changes

Bastiodon(M)@leftovers
Trait:Sturdy
Evs:252 Hp/252 SpD/4 Def
Careful Nature(+SpD,-SpA)
-Toxic
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Stone edge

I replaced my Eeleketross for this Bastiodon because My team gets heavily wrecked by fast and hard hitting flying types such as Swellow. But not now. Due to Bastiodon's steel typing, it tanks those brave birds like nothing. Even without any defense investment, Bastiodon's defense stat is superb. It's base is like 350 or something. Rocks are essential in this tier, so Bastiodon was a good poke to add to the team. Toxic to stall pokes that would otherwise wall a certain member of the team, roar just to phaze in order to stop a possible sweep. That is 100% Percent Guaranteed with sturdy intact. That ability is also quite useful, because at least I will get my rocks up. Roar also racks up the residual damage. Stone edge is also STAB, and is the only attack that is pretty good to Bastiodon.

Flareon(F)@leftovers
Trait:Flash Fire
Evs:252 Hp/252 SpD/4 Spe
Calm Nature(+SpD, -Atk)
-Toxic
-Flamethrower
-Wish
-Protect

Even though Bastiodon is a fantastic special wall, it gets obliterated by fire types such as magmortar, and Rapidash with low kick. Since Bastiodon is already a good mixed wall, I replaced Alomomola with Flareon. If those fire types try to flamethrower or fire blast, I will switch into flareon to get a free flash fire boost. Then I can proceed to toxic stall with Wish-Protect combination. Or I could just start wrecking with +1 Flamethrower. However, even some not so hard hitting Physical attackers can Ohkoe Flareon with their Stab moves. Flareon's Base 60 defense is pitiful, that's why I'm considering to use lickilicky. It can do the same job as flareon, as well as trying to paralyze the enemy with Body Slam. I will test Lickilicky and see how it goes.

Gurdurr is not unbreakable, and will be raped by Swellow/Braviary. And your lack of a rock type means Swellow pretty is pretty much free to sweep, considering your only "counter" is a scarfed volt switch. I'd recommend either Golem or Regirock, depending on whether you'd like to be more offensive or defensive, respectively.

Gurdurr is not unbreakable, and will be raped by Swellow/Braviary. And your lack of a rock type means Swellow pretty is pretty much free to sweep, considering your only "counter" is a scarfed volt switch. I'd recommend either Golem or Regirock, depending on whether you'd like to be more offensive or defensive, respectively.

Thanks alot for the rate, but still, after a couple of bulk ups, Swellow's brave bird will only do around like 50-75%. The gurdurr can ohkoe with drain+mach punch combination. But Golem does sound very interesting, I have got to try that. Also, Alomomola can take brave birds for days and stall it out.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
This is a solid team, but how do you handle SubCM Mesprit? It can set up on Vileplume, Alomomola, or Rotom-S locked into an attack and proceed to threaten your team. Cacturne, the only Pokemon able to do significant damage to it, is forced to play mind games due to Sucker Punch.

An option would be replacing Eeleketross, who you don't seem too impressed with, for Bastiodon. With it's nice defenses, Bastiodon can tank Psychics or Ice beams from Mesprit and Roar it out. It also provides Stealth Rock, which your team lacks.

This is a solid team, but how do you handle SubCM Mesprit? It can set up on Vileplume, Alomomola, or Rotom-S locked into an attack and proceed to threaten your team. Cacturne, the only Pokemon able to do significant damage to it, is forced to play mind games due to Sucker Punch.

An option would be replacing Eeleketross, who you don't seem too impressed with, for Bastiodon. With it's nice defenses, Bastiodon can tank Psychics or Ice beams from Mesprit and Roar it out. It also provides Stealth Rock, which your team lacks.
Thanks for the rate man, and yeah Mespirit can be a big problem. Since my team lacks speed, these fast pokes that can set up really threatens my team. I wonder what set would I run on bastiodon.

Run Bastiodon. Every good teams needs Stealth Rock, and your team should be no exception. Not to mention the fact that most of the mons in NU are weak to rocks. Bastiodon also means that your team isnt raped by Swellow and Braviary, who 2HKO your team after rocks

Run Bastiodon. Every good teams needs Stealth Rock, and your team should be no exception. Not to mention the fact that most of the mons in NU are weak to rocks. Bastiodon also means that your team isnt raped by Swellow and Braviary, who 2HKO your team after rocks
Thanks for the rate, sir. And yeah, I think I will run bastiodon.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Run Max HP / Max Atk Gurdurr over your current set, it is much more effective at taking down teams and provides a better counter to Absol than SpD set.(+2 LO Absol does about 66% with Superpower iirc, so Gurdurr be bulky)

I would say replace Eelektross for that Bastiodon or get a better Eelektross set. Also change your Vileplume to Bold nature. The on-site analysis has a mistake and you do not need Modest to OHKO Gorebyss after Rocks.

Also somethings that made me lol were "Hm, let's try out a bulky up Gurdurr" and
"If only Alomomola gets calm mind, it would be so broken." It does get Calm Mind...and it sucks.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
If only Alomomola gets calm mind, it would be so broken.
Alomomola does get Calm Mind, although I definitely would advise against using it.

Edit: ninja'd

On to the rate.
Despite what many others have said, you team DOES NOT get 2HKOed by Swellow and Braviary thanks to the sheer defensive bulk of Alomomola.

252 Atk Swellow Facade vs 252 HP/252 Def Alomomola: 39.89% - 47.19%
3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
252 Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs 252 HP/252 Def Alomomola: 44.01% - 51.87%
3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

However, as FLCL has said, your team has a severe weakness to Special Attackers, especially the likes of SubCM Mesprit and SubNP Jynx who can setup on Alomomola and Vileplume. for that reason I would second the addition of a Specially Defensive Bastiodon over your least important member which appears to be Eelektross.
Even with Bastiodon, you team appears to be pretty weak to NP Raichu who can encore moves from Alomomola, Cacturne, Vileplume and Rotom-S and setup a Nasty Plot and OHKO or 2HKO all of your team with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. Magmortar also troubles this team as every time it can get in safely, it will destroy one of your members. If you decide to use Bastiodon, Alomomola will no longer be required to tank hits from the birds so it could be replaced with Specially Defensive Camerupt who can easily take on Electric-types and Magmortar.

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Toxic / Protect
- Stone Edge

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast / Lava Plume
- Roar / Hidden Power Grass

You can choose to run a more Offensive set by moving some EVs to Special Attack as Camerupt can actually do quite alot of damage

If you decide to use Bastiodon, Alomomola will no longer be required to tank hits from the birds so it could be replaced with Specially Defensive Camerupt who can easily take on Electric-types and Magmortar.
An alternative to Camerupt would be Specially Defensive Flareon, who can take Magmortar easily, yet still provide the wish support of Alomomola.

Flareon @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

I guess I will try out sp def flareon, more side and bastiodon. Thanks for the rate everyone. Also, can someone help me, how do you put the pictures side by side? I could only put it straight, for the team at a glance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)