Done Allow room owners to promote to ^

For a regular user, having a rank is pretty different from normal anyways. Voice is earned by being a good user to the point where you are trusted with broadcast commands, not by winning a contest or tournament or something. If it’s the same as voice but with a different symbol, then why not just reward them with voice itself?

Why does a prize rank need to have trust involved instead of strictly being for someone who wins an event?
Pants basically sums it up here. Which seems to be the repeating argument, 'why not just give them voice instead then?'
Voices are, globally speaking, people who serve as a role model for the room and are given certain permissions (using !dt, and other !commands) as a reward in recognition of them being considered model users.

If a person 'wins' a custom rank, and gets the exact same permissions ("powers"): then why are they different from a voice?
I can voice someone for a month if I want to, there's nothing on PS currently that limits this power (an example of this is the fact that many rooms employ the concept of Tempvoicing); so if I wanted to give someone voice powers for a month I could just do that

On the other hand I currently have no way (bar asking Hoeen/Annika for something specifically for Trivia) of promoting a user as a reward just to show them our appreciation for them winning the thing they won. No strings attached, no responsibilities (apart from not getting punished, I imagine), no real risk.

This is the last post I'll make on this since I'm only sharing my opinion of course, but to summarize my point briefly: This rank works great as something that is less than voice. If it becomes equal to voice, it loses the appeal to the room I own (this is in the end the only vision I am able to accurately represent).

Honestly, when I suggested this I didn't expect anyone to care about the permissions since it's not like Voices have enough power to do any real harm lol. The main thing I don't like about giving + as a reward is the symbol and what it represents, now you simply don't have that since it's clear + = role model and ^ = winner of something. I also fail to understand the trust argument; like I mentioned, Voice perms don't have power to do anything major. Wifi's problem with it seems to be just a matter of /permissions working properly with giveaway, but for trivia I still don't get it.

I won't be posting anymore as well, and I'm fine with whatever Zarel goes with.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
This is a lot more arguing than I expected.

Anyway it sounds to me like the correct answer is to default to not giving the ^ rank any powers.

ROs can, of course, customize the ^ and + powers however you'd like, using /permissions. Giving them voice powers is simply a matter of granting the show permission.

This is a lot more arguing than I expected.

Anyway it sounds to me like the correct answer is to default to not giving the ^ rank any powers.

ROs can, of course, customize the ^ and + powers however you'd like, using /permissions. Giving them voice powers is simply a matter of granting the show permission.
ROs can't use this command, currently (just to clarify for anyone reading this thread and wanting to try it out)
Don't know if that is still intentional, but right now we get Access Denied

Regardless: Big thank you for all this

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Yes, we're dealing with bugs due to a new rank being added below Voice. A lot of voice permissions were hardcoded, so we need to manually fix those. It should be done within a dayish.

Hello,

May I ask what is the name of the rank? And what is the command for it as well? I know it's a ^ symbol, but % represents "driver", @ represents "moderator" in terms of names.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)