AAA Almost Any Ability

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
exactly, that forces you to use these pokemon, meaning a LIMITED TEAMBUILDING. thus: suspectworthy!!!!!!!! and volcarona is easily killed by aqua jet golisopod. noivern is frail as fuck. so dont tell me they resist
It's also completely countered by Psychic Terrain, Dazzling, and Queenly Majesty. I haven't played AAA in the longest time but those abilities are certainly viable on a bunch of mons, and then there's also things like Pex, or Regen/PH Fini, which resist all relevant moves and take a pittance from PJab etc.

You have to run checks to relevant threats in every single metagame. This doesn't restrict teambuilding unless those checks are either unique (so everyone has to run the same mons) or otherwise awful (eg having to run some 360 BST PU mon).

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reqs:
Having used Blacephalon extensively during my suspect run, I found that, while it could sweep entire teams, it required a lot of prior damage and quite a few opposing mons removed before it could do so. I felt that it always lacked power, and without Beast Boost, like it normally has, it can't spiral out of control. Magic Guard Mind Blown is a cool combo, but it is nothing that I felt was broken or overpowered for this meta. As such, I am voting No Ban

Naganadel, on the other hand, I found to be extremely lack-luster. With so many flash fire Steel types like Ferrothorn running around, and with Assault Vest Magearna being so common AND (again) because it lacks Beast Boost, it can't do what it could do in OU. Naganadel greatly misses its Speed Boosts from Beast Boost and the abilities it gains from AAA don't help it enough to make it at all overpowered. In all honesty, I think Naga sucks in this meta, but thats just me. As such, No Ban

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Reqs:
Having used Blacephalon extensively during my suspect run, I found that, while it could sweep entire teams, it required a lot of prior damage and quite a few opposing mons removed before it could do so. I felt that it always lacked power, and without Beast Boost, like it normally has, it can't spiral out of control. Magic Guard Mind Blown is a cool combo, but it is nothing that I felt was broken or overpowered for this meta. As such, I am voting No Ban

Naganadel, on the other hand, I found to be extremely lack-luster. With so many flash fire Steel types like Ferrothorn running around, and with Assault Vest Magearna being so common AND (again) because it lacks Beast Boost, it can't do what it could do in OU. Naganadel greatly misses its Speed Boosts from Beast Boost and the abilities it gains from AAA don't help it enough to make it at all overpowered. In all honesty, I think Naga sucks in this meta, but thats just me. As such, No Ban
Most Naga run Mold Breaker in AAA to beat flash fire steels so most of ur argument for it is moot. However most regenvest mons do beat it and it's easy to revenge kill on offense without speed boosts from Beast Boost and being so frail.

Screenshot from 2017-12-26 14-17-11.png

Screenshot from 2017-12-26 14-17-00.png

Really bad W/L, but w/e.
BAN: Nagandel: it annoyingly skews teambuilding and the viable amount of things to wall this is worrying. You pretty much have ferrothorn and a few fringe regenvesters or chansey / blissey who can stomach hits and not worry all that much. Even then.
DO NOT BAN: Blacephalon: this clown is no IT. Its only viable set-up is calm mind and it's really weak on the physical side. Didn't give me any trouble at all and I don't think it is bad for the meta.

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Most Naga run Mold Breaker in AAA to beat flash fire steels so most of ur argument for it is moot. However most regenvest mons do beat it and it's easy to revenge kill on offense without speed boosts from Beast Boost and being so frail.
I understand that people run Mold Breaker on Naga to beat Flash Fire, but that doesn't make my argument invalid. I said that the abilities it uses don't allow it to sweep in such a broken manner as it did in OU, which is true. If you are running Mold Breaker just to allow Naga to beat Unaware and Flash Fire, it becomes almost an OU Naganadel without Beast Boost. My point still stands that the lack of Speed Boosts from kills hold if back, as it can't spiral out of control. Any faster mon, and most scarfers (unless you are running scarf Naga) are surefire ways of revenging Naga at any time. Also, I don't believe Mold Breaker negates Primordial Sea, so any of Ferro with that would also wall Naga.

What's a good Pokemon that can learn an attack-raising move, reliably heal itself, and counter both Magearna and Zygarde? I'm currently using Buzzwole for this role, but it doesn't counter every Magearna set.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
What's a good Pokemon that can learn an attack-raising move, reliably heal itself, and counter both Magearna and Zygarde? I'm currently using Buzzwole for this role, but it doesn't counter every Magearna set.
I'm sure there's a bunch. Volt Absorb Slowbro & different Celebi sets immediately come to mind. Also healing + raising attack is pretty weird, if you don't limit yourself like that you can find a wide variety of options to beat Mag + Zyg

I'm sure there's a bunch. Volt Absorb Slowbro & different Celebi sets immediately come to mind. Also healing + raising attack is pretty weird, if you don't limit yourself like that you can find a wide variety of options to beat Mag + Zyg
Are both of those better than Volcarona?
I wanted something that can heal itself because I use stall and I want something that can switch around a lot and sweep multiple Pokemon without having to outspeed them.

I wasn't able to make the voting requirements even though my GXE was 78% on the non-suspect ladder. Did I do something wrong? Am I even allowed to make posts like this?

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wasn't able to make the voting requirements even though my GXE was 78% on the non-suspect ladder. Did I do something wrong? Am I even allowed to make posts like this?
Your gxe on the regular ladder has no effect on what gxe you will have on the suspect ladder. You only got a 68.6% gxe on the suspect ladder in 41 games so you didn't get the reqs. Also for future reference questions like this not involving the meta or anything would be better for the Other Metas room, you'll get a faster reply too.

Your gxe on the regular ladder has no effect on what gxe you will have on the suspect ladder. You only got a 68.6% gxe on the suspect ladder in 41 games so you didn't get the reqs. Also for future reference questions like this not involving the meta or anything would be better for the Other Metas room, you'll get a faster reply too.
No, I was wondering if there was a reason why I played so much worse on the suspect ladder.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Blacephalon and Naganadel Suspect Results
1514997283852.png
1514997358470.png

A refreshing result of NO BAN for each mon results in them staying in the AAA metagame. The meta will likely stand as-is for the duration of the AAA Open barring unforeseen changes, good luck and have fun!​

Attachments

I've been using this a lot lately and it's pretty good
1515364970567.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil / Shield Dust
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Leech Seed

You never get burnt by scald or get frozen by ice beam, so ferrothorn, a grass type, can actually reliably beat water types for once. It means that you can actually get up rocks or spikes against tapu fini. You also don't autolose when suicune or tapu fini set up. It's one of the only switchins to the stakataka gyro ball and you can knock it off in return. EVs let it live 2 +3 ice beams from manaphy and KO back.

edit: added flower veil

Last edited:
I've been using this a lot lately and it's pretty good
View attachment 96516
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Leech Seed

You never get burnt by scald or get frozen by ice beam, so ferrothorn, a grass type, can actually reliably beat water types for once. It means that you can actually get up rocks or spikes against tapu fini. You also don't autolose when suicune or tapu fini set up. It's one of the only switchins to the stakataka gyro ball and you can knock it off in return. EVs let it live 2 +3 ice beams from manaphy and KO back.
Is there any reason why you wouldn't run Flower Veil for this?

but fire moves melt this ferrothorn and it still suffers from its lack of recovery. If you want it to be a scald switchin specificially, then water absorb is better, and for anything else, regenerator and flash fire/primordial sea are the better choices.

If you specifically want to use this as a lure and have the opponent continue spamming scald even after you switch in, then maybe water veil would be better.

but fire moves melt this ferrothorn and it still suffers from its lack of recovery. If you want it to be a scald switchin specificially, then water absorb is better, and for anything else, regenerator and flash fire/primordial sea are the better choices.
just wanna use this post to point out another advantage of shield dust ferrothorn -- unlike most other traditional pokemon sets that rely on simply killing other pokemon to win, this ferrothorn introduces a revolutionary new psychological aspect to the game

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-685978670 -- Opponent clicks scald 10 times and gets mad then starts making irrational plays like leaving tapu fini in to die and then finally forfeiting out of rage.
(I also had another battle where an opponent wasted 24 scalds on toxapex for no reason which basically took toxapex out of the equation)

On a more serious note, discharge/tbolt/zap cannon paras and ice beam freezes (magearna, zapdos, manaphy, xurkitree, etc.) in general can be pretty lame as well, not to mention that most people don't use fire moves on ferrothorn in aaa, and it's usually pretty obvious which pokemon have fire moves to begin with.

Anyways yeah i didn't know flower veil existed and it's definitely better, so thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)