AAA Almost Any Ability

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
Hey there GiveUsYourBones, Jrdn/Jordn here! Winner of back to back AAA opens! You see a lot of Desolate Land Victini around which is a great switch in to Tapu Fini, as well as plenty other Water types. You can also use Water Absorb set up mons which can be a fun albeit niche way to lure scalds and punish them. I've used Water Absorb Landorus with SD + a Z-Crystal, Water Absorb Excadrill with SD, and Water Absorb Marowak-A with SD, and they all have been fun.

Hope this helps

download.png

Edit:I fixed it!
Wallcune (Suicune) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic
Defensive Beast.

Last edited:
View attachment 106146
Im new to AAA but ive created this devious Suicune set, can you all tell me what you think about it?
Suicune @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 132 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Scald
- Aqua Ring
First and foremost, each Pokemon can have up to 508 effective EVs. You should probably take advantage of that. I'd suggest giving it more physical defense because its special stats are boosted by calm mind. You should also replace aqua ring with toxic to break through water resists and unaware users.

First and foremost, each Pokemon can have up to 508 effective EVs. You should probably take advantage of that. I'd suggest giving it more physical defense because its special stats are boosted by calm mind. You should also replace aqua ring with toxic to break through water resists and unaware users.
The evs are kinda whack because im was messing with it and was looking for a game and got into a battle before i could fix it. I honestly forgot to fix it Lol. But ill use what you said.

250px-429Mismagius.png94-Gengar.png
Hey guys! What's your opinion on normalize Gengar or Mismagius? Personally, I think these monstrous sets should stay in BH. Anyways here's my take on them if you want to try them out.
Mismagius @ Focus Sash
Ability: Normalize
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Hyper Voice
Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Toxic
- Night Shade
These sets are pretty self explanitory:
Mean look
Skill swap
Toxic or nasty plot
Attack till you faint it
Switch out
Rinse and repeat

View attachment 106280View attachment 106281
Hey guys! What's your opinion on normalize Gengar or Mismagius? Personally, I think these monstrous sets should stay in BH. Anyways here's my take on them if you want to try them out.
Mismagius @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Hyper Voice
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Toxic
- Night Shade
Mean look
Skill swap
Toxic or nasty plot
Attack till you faint it
Switch out
Rinse and repeat
They're easy to stop by magic bounce users, toxic users, and stuff that just hits really hard. I don't think they're worth using if you really want to win.

They're easy to stop by magic bounce users, toxic users, and stuff that just hits really hard. I don't think they're worth using if you really want to win.
To be fair, it is a gimmick, yes, but one that’s could very easily neuter one, two, or (if you’re a literal god amongst men) even three threats if not prepared for. Also, not 100% sure, but if skill swap gets magic bounced, then the Bouncer will use it, ultimately leading to it’s successful execution. If that is the case, then lmao rip toxic

Mismagius @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Hyper Voice
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Toxic
- Night Shade
Mean look
Skill swap
Toxic or nasty plot
Attack till you faint it
Switch out
Rinse and repeat
You see, those aren't even the best sets tbh. But like others have mentioned, they aren't that big of a deal as Magic Bounce especially keeps this in check, bouncing both Mean Look and Toxic.

Now of course, you could always Skill Swap first, which isn't bounced, but then the opponent just switches out, and you no longer have Normalize to skill swap the Pokemon you trapped.

Also, Pokemon that outspeed this can usually handle it well. A focus sash only gives you one turn against faster threats, which again means that you have to click Skill Swap, so that it doesn't die, so once again, the opponent simply switches out.

So in reality, the best place to use this is as a stall breaker, as they are the only teams that are always reliably slower than Mismagius and Gengar. And anyone who knows me knows how much I loathe stall. But even then, stall can still keep it in check.

All in all, it isn't all that hard to play around, but if the user is good enough to get it set up (or rather, the opponent is bad enough to let it happen), then it's a very effective strategy to use. However, that is a very big condition that would need to be fulfilled before making it generally viable, usually making it better to run others sets/Pokemon.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Mismagius @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Hyper Voice
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Toxic
- Night Shade
Mean look
Skill swap
Toxic or nasty plot
Attack till you faint it
Switch out
Rinse and repeat
Hey,
While both of these sets aren't monstrous or something and Mismag is certainly an inferior gengar, I'll have to disagree with others that Normalize Gengar is a meme or something. At worst, it is a very situational set which will only work for teams designed around it.
As for the Magic Bounce issue, the thing about the set is that it is meant to take out traditional offensive gengar checks like regenvest mons such as Muk-A or Magearna. No passive Magic Bounce mon(Most common one is Mew) isn't switching into an offensive gengar(Or rather be clear, they shouldn't) before scouting the set with their regen-vest mon or spdef wall. While the above set is certainly kind of liability against HO teams, but that is pretty understandable because it is not made for killing offensive teams, all it is desined for is to lure random walls for your other breakers, as simple as that.
And also you always mean look first, it does need prediction but it is highly rewarding when it works. If they have a magic bounce(which is while a great ability isn't a staple on every team unlike stuff like poison heal), you'll just have to play the game otherwise. Also coming to Poison Heal, these sets also provide an emergency checks to slow set-up sweepers like suicune/snorlax.
Also as I above said it won't really perform well against offensive teams and you'll just have to be a prediction God or something, it can actually devour defensive teams if played correctly even if they know the set. Like the following replay which while pretty old, shows the gist of what I am talking about, here I used special sheer force hoopa and perish-trap gengar to trap its counters. While it won't get you 100% success or something as it involves prediction, but speaking from experience it's far from a meme set, rather a very situational one.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-551894283

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Mismagius @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Hyper Voice
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Toxic
- Night Shade
Mean look
Skill swap
Toxic or nasty plot
Attack till you faint it
Switch out
Rinse and repeat

Hmm small problem is that Gengar is really frail so it could easily die when it Mean Looks. + I feel like every good team can check them unintentionally.

swampert-mega.jpg
So I was playing AAA yesterday and I saw a Swampert running drizzle that mega evolved to get swift swim, and that doubles speed. So that's awesome. Here is my take on the set so ya'll can try it out.
Code:
Skipped leg day (Swampert) @ Swampertite 
Ability: Drizzle 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Waterfall 
- Earthquake 
- Ice Punch 
- Stone Edge

View attachment 107276
So I was playing AAA yesterday and I saw a Swampert running drizzle that mega evolved to get swift swim, and that doubles speed. So that's awesome. Here is my take on the set so ya'll can try it out.
Code:
Skipped leg day (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
It can seem really good on paper, but the problem is that Drizzle Swampert has a lot of things holding it back from being as great as it appears.

1. We have the other weather's, especially in the prominent ones, Desoland, Prim Sea, and Delta Stream used to mitigate weaknesses along with the occasional regular weather's too that would instantly end the regular rain that Swampert caused. This is one of the biggest problems for weather teams, not just Drizzle Mega-Swampert. This specifically is which Terrain teams, albeit a lot stricter in abilities needed/available, are often better than Weather Teams

2. Because Swampert will be mega-evolving, it cannot hold a Damp Rock to extend the turns of rain for 5-8, shortening his reign of terror. The mega stone also prevents him from holding a life orb or a choice band where other swift swim Pokemon like Volcanion can abuse specs in order to make it's special attack even scarier.

3. Once he mega evolves, you can no longer use drizzle as it's premega ability anymore, meaning that you need another rain setter to abuse Swift Swim again after those initial five turns are over, and generally the other rain setters are better than pre-mega swampert is in the first place. For a pre-mega ability, assuming you do have another rain setter to continually abuse swift swim, Download is a better use and burn ability, giving it +1 attack sometimes, depending on what you send it in on.

4. In a metagame where speed abilities can be used a lot more, outspeeding +2 base 70 isn't all that hard, especially when +1 base 110 already does it (524 for +2 base 70, and 525 for +1 base 110), meaning that it's revenge killing it on speed alone can be significantly easier than in other metagames.

In the end, even though Drizzle Mega Swampert seems cool, there are simply a lot of things holding it back that one should be warned of before using it.

It can seem really good on paper, but the problem is that Drizzle Swampert has a lot of things holding it back from being as great as it appears.

1. We have the other weather's, especially in the prominent ones, Desoland, Prim Sea, and Delta Stream used to mitigate weaknesses along with the occasional regular weather's too that would instantly end the regular rain that Swampert caused. This is one of the biggest problems for weather teams, not just Drizzle Mega-Swampert. This specifically is which Terrain teams, albeit a lot stricter in abilities needed/available, are often better than Weather Teams

2. Because Swampert will be mega-evolving, it cannot hold a Damp Rock to extend the turns of rain for 5-8, shortening his reign of terror. The mega stone also prevents him from holding a life orb or a choice band where other swift swim Pokemon like Volcanion can abuse specs in order to make it's special attack even scarier.

3. Once he mega evolves, you can no longer use drizzle as it's premega ability anymore, meaning that you need another rain setter to abuse Swift Swim again after those initial five turns are over, and generally the other rain setters are better than pre-mega swampert is in the first place. For a pre-mega ability, assuming you do have another rain setter to continually abuse swift swim, Download is a better use and burn ability, giving it +1 attack sometimes, depending on what you send it in on.

4. In a metagame where speed abilities can be used a lot more, outspeeding +2 base 70 isn't all that hard, especially when +1 base 110 already does it (524 for +2 base 70, and 525 for +1 base 110), meaning that it's revenge killing it on speed alone can be significantly easier than in other metagames.

In the end, even though Drizzle Mega Swampert seems cool, there are simply a lot of things holding it back that one should be warned of before using it.
So maybe run download on Swampy, then mega evolve into swift swim while some other Mon sets the rain with a damp rock? Or is there just better mons for the job?

So maybe run download on Swampy, the mega evolve into swift swim while some other Mon sets the rain with a damp rock? Or is there just better mons for the job?
Yes, that would definitely be more ideal if you wanted to run Mega Swampert.

The beautiful thing about AAA though is that you aren't limited in abilities, so, in theory, any Pokemon could run Swift Swim if it somehow benefits from Rain (same goes for sun, sand, etc Like Specs Mind Blown from Blacephalon hits HARD in Sun). Feel free to be creative in this. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of Megas in general here, including Swampert. You are limited in an item, and can get unwanted boosts from a stone. You are also limited in abilities as the post mega ability doesn't change. This is why I prefer to only use megas if the mega is good on it's own (Diancie), or has some generally banned ability (Mawile/Medicham). The other exception is Alakazam as it can steal other abilities, and it loves Psy Surge + It's speed boost via the mega.

Anyway, sorry for the mini rant. Long story short is if you want to run Swampert like that, I myself would work with Download and another rain setter probably.

Yes, that would definitely be more ideal if you wanted to run Mega Swampert.

The beautiful thing about AAA though is that you aren't limited in abilities, so, in theory, any Pokemon could run Swift Swim if it somehow benefits from Rain (same goes for sun, sand, etc Like Specs Mind Blown from Blacephalon hits HARD in Sun). Feel free to be creative in this. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of Megas in general here, including Swampert. You are limited in an item, and can get unwanted boosts from a stone. You are also limited in abilities as the post mega ability doesn't change. This is why I prefer to only use megas if the mega is good on it's own (Diancie), or has some generally banned ability (Mawile/Medicham). The other exception is Alakazam as it can steal other abilities, and it loves Psy Surge + It's speed boost via the mega.

Anyway, sorry for the mini rant. Long story short is if you want to run Swampert like that, I myself would work with Download and another rain setter probably.
I think im gonna run a choice specs mind blown now that you mention it. And i apreciate the mini rant Lol.

I think im gonna run a choice specs mind blown now that you mention it. And i apreciate the mini rant Lol.
If you're going to run Mind Blown, you should run Magic Guard, at which point LO is probably a better item because you can switch moves with no cost. Blacephalon has other great abilities it can use, like Desolate Land or Sheer Force, but Fire Blast is a better move for these sets.

If you're going to run Mind Blown, you should run Magic Guard, at which point LO is probably a better item because you can switch moves with no cost. Blacephalon has other great abilities it can use, like Desolate Land or Sheer Force, but Fire Blast is a better move for these sets.
I think a flame plate will do the job

Flame Plate is a very bad item on both Magic Guard and Sheer Force sets because it boosts your Fire STAB less than Life Orb, and it won't boost your other moves. Remember that you don't get Life Orb recoil with both abilities. If you're running Desolate Land it can work to bluff Specs.
Oh that makes sense :mehowth:

How would you guys run mamoswine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)