Alphabet Cup

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
It's probably been mentioned, but S gets another boost as well: Secret Sword. This means every special attacker in that group is also a mixed attacker. Shell Smash on top of that too... the physical ones still have Superpower or Sacred Sword as options.

I noticed a user listed a bunch of mons viable with Tail Glow... while Typhlosion is probably the best fire mon, I think Talonflame may have a niche as well.. but does it get any viable flying special moves ? That being said, it's high speed gives it an edge, I guess you could opt for mixed but without a boost it's quite weak.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
"D" seems like a good support letter; Defog, Dark Void, Destiny Bond, Disable…

But what good is there with D? Dialga?

SpartanMalice

Dragonite. Deoxys, speed or defense. Delphox, Drapion, Dragalge. Diggersby, Dusclops, Doublade. Donphan.

All viable in support roles (except maybe Delphox, but her decent special defense and good speed helps). There's also Dugtrio, who can be a fast Dark Void user.

Ds can also become Dragon Dancers and have Drain Punch for recovery.

Actually, Drain Punch, Dragon Dancing Darmanitan sounds rad. Heal off all those Flare Blitzes because Draining moves are not effected by Sheer Force.

Electivire gets Electrify, which can allow it to net its own Motor Drive boosts. Unfortunately, Motor Drive is probably the least effective ability to combo with Electrify, and Electivire's starting speed is too low to effectively gain boosts. It's probably better off just using Extreme Speed for its speed needs.

SpartanMalice

It just needs to take hits, right? Easier said that done. That being said, considering how easy it is to set up SD...

Right, hold on, isn't Blaze banned ?

Edit: Funny thought occurred to me. While we're at it, why not give them abilities that start with the same letter as well? Doesn't need to be applied to this meta, just that something like that sounds fun as well.

Edit 2: I thought of something. Rotom-Fan uses Roost, that removes the flying type, giving it a single weakness to ground. Shouldn't levitate take care of that though? That + Rapid Spin might just make this thing quite good.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head:
Aegislash gets perfect coverage with Aura Sphere
Bisharp with Belly Drum + Bullet Punch + Sucker Punch
Haxorus/Honchkrow/Hydreigon now get HJK over Superpower
Heal Order Bulk Up Heracross
Kyurem becomes a pain in the ass to kill with King's Shield and Knock Off
CM Milk Drink Manaphy
M-Manectric can use Moonblast over HP Ice I guess
Ninjask can now pass Nasty Plot
Roost CM Raikou
Roost Rotom-A
S nuff said
Tail Glow + Techno Blast Thundurus
Thundurus/Tornadus with Prankster Topsy Turvy
Will-o-wisp Whimsicott with Wish is basically Sableye with an arguably better typing

Speaking of Rotom, there's an annoying counter in Lanturn with Leech Seeds or Leaf Storm but their access to recovery does give them longevity. It's just that Lanturn resists all of their STABs and can hit all 5 Rotonm-A super effectively.

Also, Medicham gets Mach Punch.

I also wonder if Parting Shot Politoed could work: switch in to set a Drizzle, Parting Shot out and give 6 turns of rain to the Swift Swimmer of your choice. The question is, which Swimmer is the best letter abuser?

The best Chlorophyll mon is probably Shiftry because STAB Seed Flare and boosted Sacred Fire mixed with Shell Smash... or Sawsbuck, but Sacred Fire with Serene Grace........

Last edited:
This meta seems pretty interesting, I really like the fact that Bisharp has so much coverage moves beginning with b. I wish this metagame success!

Chansey now gets COTTON GUARD.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. +3 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 374-444 (58.2 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. +3 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 304-360 (47.3 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. +3 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 300-354 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. +3 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 312-368 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus High Jump Kick vs. +3 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 272-322 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Close Combat vs. +3 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 456-538 (71 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is just a demonstration of the power. Staying in on any of those pokemon is probably not a good idea because they can either set-up or 2HKO you.

Edit: Funny thought occurred to me. While we're at it, why not give them abilities that start with the same letter as well? Doesn't need to be applied to this meta, just that something like that sounds fun as well.
If this was added to the metagame, "S" Pokemon would become even MORE overpowered with access to abilities like Sand Stream, Scrappy, Serene Grace, Shadow Tag, Sheer Force, Skill Link, Speed Boost, Sturdy, Swift Swim...

Why does Game Freak love the letter "S" so much?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Belly Drum Speed Boost Blaziken. I am all over that. Bonus points if you kill the enemy priority users. Geomancy Genesect would also be an interesting option.

Shame ubers are banned because Parting Shot Palkia would be fantastic.

If this was added to the metagame, "S" Pokemon would become even MORE overpowered with access to abilities like Sand Stream, Scrappy, Serene Grace, Shadow Tag, Sheer Force, Skill Link, Speed Boost, Sturdy, Swift Swim...

Why does Game Freak love the letter "S" so much?
This. Also, you end up with Adaptability Aegislash, Flash Fire Ferrothorn, Huge Power Heracross, Illusion Infernape, and so on.

While early pre-submission sketchups allowed access to different abilities too, this had practical issues (Zen Mode? Stance Change? Flower Gift?) as well as making a few things horribly broken (S boosters are bad enough but at least Topsy-Turvy Thundurus-I has an answer to them). So the meta was left to moves alone. I wouldn't say including access to new abilities, on top of largely buffed movesets, would be too healthy.

SpartanMalice

Of course if something like that was approved (which I doubt) there would be bans and limits for Huge Power (Like - mons up to 85 or so Attack can use it?), but yeah I understand, it wasn't meant to be an idea for this meta. Just a fun thought that came into my mind (I had another today - make the team form a 6 letter word :p) . So moving on , has anyone noticed my post about Rotom-Fan? If that's right, and Rotom also has access to Rapid Spin, it's probably one of the best defensive mons in the game.

Some fun ideas I've noticed include:

[A]
Accelgor and Aegislash both get access to Aeroblast and Aura Sphere for their special attacking sets. Those two moves alone grant amazing coverage and they have the speed / bulk to pull it off along with good special attack stats. Aegislash could also sue the gimmicky Acupressure which might work in conjunction with its typing, defensive stats and King Shield. Alakazam gets Aura Sphere to use over Focus Blast for reliable sweeping, though its power isn't enough to OHKO a full health Tyranitar.

[B.] Bullet Punch Bisharp is a thing now, and don't forget Breloom getting both it and Bonemerang boosted by Technician.

[C]
Carracosta utilising Shell Smash can now use Close Combat to crush Steel types, as can offensive Crobat. Celebi, Cresselia and Cofagrigus get Clear Smog to stop boosting attackers in tandem with their excellent bulk (and can also all use Cosmic Power).

[D]
Darmanitan, Diggersby, Drapion and Druddigon all get Dragon Dance... can you say awesome? Dugtrio gets both Dark Void and Destiny Bond which work amazingly with its Speed and Arena Trap. Donphan gets more utility with Dragon Tail and Defog. Dragonite can add Drain Punch to its bulky Dragon Dance sets or use Dual Chop to break substitutes. Doublade can use No Guard Dynamicpunch, and Delphox can use Dark Pulse and Dark Void for coverage and to incapacitate a counter respectively. Dragalgae's Dark Void, Defog and Dragon Tail work well with its excellent bulk.

[E]
Escavalier gets Earthquake (finally!), as does Eelektross for its physical Coil sets; they both also get Extremespeed. Empoleon loves Earth Power for hitting those blasted Tentacruel out of the water.

[F]
Fiery Dance Froslass could be interesting for a special sweeping set, and it also gets Focus Blast to wreck Dark types. Final Gambit on anything fast with good HP could be an annoying surprise. Feraligatr, Floatzel, Flareon and Flygon all get to use Fusion Bolt to blow through bulky Water types, and Flygon can also use Fusion Flare for its mixed sets if it doesn't like Fire Blast's accuracy.

[G]
A lot of things now get Geomancy; notable users include Gengar, Goodra, Galvantula, Gastrodon, Glaceon, Greninja, and Gothitelle (hint hint Shadow Tag hint hint). Gorebyss could Baton Pass a Geomancy boost instead of a Shell Smash boost if it wants to give something massive special bulk as well as power and speed.

Last edited:
Has anybody noticed B-pokes? Belly Drum + Baton Pass on Prankster Mega-Sableye can be quite threatening, especially with that sweet 145 Base Attack which can be abused with Shadow Sneak and Bullet Punch.

I agree that S is a great 'tier' with Sheel Smash, Stored Power, Sacred Sword, Spore, Seed Flare, Stealth Rock, Sticky Web...
And Jolteon can run Ice/Fire Plate Judgment!

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Has anybody noticed B-pokes? Belly Drum + Baton Pass on Prankster Mega-Sableye can be quite threatening, especially with that sweet 145 Base Attack which can be abused with Shadow Sneak and Bullet Punch.

I agree that S is a great 'tier' with Sheel Smash, Stored Power, Sacred Sword, Spore, Seed Flare, Stealth Rock, Sticky Web...
And Jolteon can run Ice/Fire Plate Judgment!
I think you mean Banette...
Oh, and Contary mons are pretty good, if they have the right moves.

Swords dance Virizion just got more dangerous with V-create and Volt tackle access

edit:
infact all musketeers gained fun stuff
Coballion can now run Coil + Circle Throw

Terrakion gained Trick! Scarf users rejoice

Genesect gets Geomancy. And Gastro Acid to counter Unaware pokemon. And Gear Grind for physical steel STAB. And Glaciate to slow opponents down. And Glare to paralyze ground-types. And Gravity to boost the accuracy of its Thunder and Blizzard.

Cobalion gets Coil, to boost Attack, Defense, and Accuracy. And Cotton Guard to boost its defense even more. And Crunch for perfect neutral coverage. And Celebrate, to rub your victory in the opponents face. And Clear Smog to prevent opponents from setting up. And Confuse Ray, to confuse foes. And Crabhammer for water-type coverage.

Aegislash gets Aeroblast and Aura Sphere, for great flying-type coverage. Acid Spray will harshly lower the opponents Special Defense, to bust through walls. It gets more priority in Aqua Jet, recovery in Aqua Ring, and Aromatheropy.

pixilate sylveon and shell smash :o still not as overpowered as boomburst in stabmons, but hyper voice still hits like a truck.

sylveon @ life orb/white herb/babiri berry (idk, depending on how popular bullet punch is)
modest 4hp/252spa/252spe (very lazy idk lol)
pixilate

smash
hyper voice
searing shot (optional: sacred fire for a mixed set)
surf / secret sword / shadow ball / insert other coverage option here

A lot of things now get Geomancy; Gothitelle (hint hint Shadow Tag hint hint).
Great post! Singling out Gothitelle... Dear lord I did not realise this. One must be very careful choosing when to set up because one Choice Scarf and six turns later you're staring down a +6 SpA/SpD/Spe Gothitelle. Woah. And people say Gothitelle's main issue is its speed...

That said, boosters have one very concise answer in the form of Topsy-Turvy Thundurus-I, who can punish most of them hard. Forcing a switch and nabbing a Tail Glow is always awesome. Faster priority recommended. I expect him to become a team staple of anyone having trouble with boosters. That and the aforementioned Cotton Guard Clefable.

By the by, I've noticed there are no new viable Quiver Dancers, which is a shame.

Oh yeah, forgot Thundurus-I gets Prankster Tail Glow over Nasty Plot now. That is awesome.

EDIT: Someone mentioned Cotton Guard Eviolite Chansey... holy shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)