Alphabet Cup

Whoa there, we've barely implemented Alphabet Cup in singles, we really shouldn't be discussing doubles right now!
Contrary mons are good in theory, but Spinda, Serperior and Shuckle don't really gain any good moves to abuse that ability and are overshadowed by other S-mons.
If Malamar/Hydreigon could get Skill Swap, it'd be a much better strategy, but they can't, so it doesn't work except for S-mons with Contrary.

Yup, Contrary Serperior is unreleased.
If it was released, it'd be pretty good in this.

Also, Electrode can now get Energy Ball, so with Agility and Electro Ball, that could be a serious threat. Coverage against Ground-types is what it needs (it gets no Grass-, Water-, or Ice-type moves other than HP).

EDIT: Electrode doesn't get Agility? Dang it!

Last edited:
it's nothing notable other than the fact that no guard is finally useful for something (and it's a direct upgrade over sacred sword)

canno

formerly The Reptile
Has anyone mentioned doublade get no guard dynamic punch?
Besides, Doublade also gets No Guard Dark Void.
Eviolite Doublade could be neat, with something like

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Dark Void
- Gyro Ball / Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Dynamic Punch

Would need wish support though, due to the lack of recovery at all, but maybe it could work?

Is there any merit to Tyranitar's Trick or Treat? It seems like the sort of thing you'd throw out as a failsafe when your opponent switches to a counter. Suddenly, Crunch is only resisted by Scraggy, Scrafty, and Pangoro, which could easily be handled by something else on your team. It also means that the S-mon that just switched in to set up something stupid is going to get revenged by Sucker Punch... unless it's Scrafty, I guess. Tyranitar also has Pursuit, so Trick-or-Treat lets it basically Pursuit trap everything.

Then again, this is a game of stupidly strong everything. If Tyranitar had Sucker Punch, Trick-or-Treat would be perfect, but...

Is there any merit to Tyranitar's Trick or Treat? It seems like the sort of thing you'd throw out as a failsafe when your opponent switches to a counter. Suddenly, Crunch is only resisted by Scraggy, Scrafty, and Pangoro, which could easily be handled by something else on your team. It also means that the S-mon that just switched in to set up something stupid is going to get revenged by Sucker Punch... unless it's Scrafty, I guess. Tyranitar also has Pursuit, so Trick-or-Treat lets it basically Pursuit trap everything.

Then again, this is a game of stupidly strong everything. If Tyranitar had Sucker Punch, Trick-or-Treat would be perfect, but...
I would imagine that most things would still be able to ohko or 2hko ttar, and pure fighting types still take neutral damage, so it's not going to help much against ttars usual checks. Not to mention, it takes up a moveslot.
I don't know, it looks like a pretty neat gimmick on paper, but we don't really know how well it would work in practice.
Speaking of "in practice," it's that time of the month again! BuriedAlive has already nominated this meta, and with the sheer number of votes we got last time, I'm sure we could drum up enough support to get an official ladder! So vote for AlphabetMons!
I'm voting if only because I'm too lazy to get on joimslab lol
Edit: The voting period for the new meta doesn't start until a little later folks. It's good to see people are still excited about the meta though!

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm voting if only because I'm too lazy to get on joimslab lol
Joim's lab is mostly empty, so, even if you dd go there, I doubt you'd get any battles.

Please, remember to vote for Alphabet Cup if you want to play it at all!

Hello everyone, I'm not dead, it's inactivity due to college same thing.
Anyway, let's give a cheer for a new month of OMotM voting! I hope Alphabet Cup still has your support from last month in which we very nearly won. We can totally do it this month even if a bunch of great OMs came out of the woodwork suddenly.

Now, speaking of sets, having gotten X and Y not too long ago I've been having great fun with Meowstic-M, using Choice Scarf Trick Torment to incapacitate the opponent while I set up a screen. Thundurus gets something else fun now.

I dunnoh if this is worth mentioning, but scizor gets technician&crit boosted 135 power storm throw which is a nice substitute for superpower^^
Also, butterfree gets blue flare & quiver dance & boomburst

I dunnoh if this is worth mentioning, but scizor gets technician&crit boosted 135 power storm throw which is a nice substitute for superpower^^
That is most certainly worth mentioning! A reliable way to break through defensive boosters, too (Cotton Guard Chansey lol).

Oh, and with mentioning an OU staple, I have to mention something: Genesect and Lucarionite are unbanned until proven broken. My reasoning for this is that although the original Alphabet Cup usable mon list was drawn from OU, the Ubers at the time were blatantly broken for the meta. Genesect and MegaLuke have not yet posed a problem to this meta, and hell, enough stuff is more broken than Luke (I'm not saying anything on Geomancy Genesect just yet). Of course, if we get OMotM for March all this will come out of the woodwork, like angry termites being evicted from their homes.

Edit: nvm they're both banned. Probably with good reason for Jenny.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only mons that come to mind are skorupi and seadra, I now somewhat want to try out seadra
Eviolite Seadra would be somewhat viable if it got Frost Breath, which, alongside Freeze Dry which would give it perfect coverage alongside FreeScald.
But it doesn't.
It gets Storm Throw.

Banded Seadra new meta (quite literally)

Edit : I somehow got Freeze Dry and Frost Breath mixed up. My point still stands, though.

Last edited:
Speaking of Geomancy Genesect, I've got a pretty simple set for it right here:
Genesect @ Power Herb
Ability: Download
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Bug Buzz
- Geomancy
- Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Hidden Power Ground/Ice Beam
The Speed EVs lets Genesect outspeed scarf lat@s after geomancy and ohko with bug buzz. Thunderbolt is the preferred option here after your two stabs for its ability to slam most pokemon, including skarmory, gyarados, and aegislash with a powerful neutral or SE move. Flamethrower can be used in its place to beat any steel type handily, and HP Groundis for heatran, who otherwise walls and ohkos every genesect set, ever. It also does some nice damage to aegislash. Finally, Ice Beam can be used to hit dragons, flying types, and ground types, but doesnt have much use otherwise thanks to the excellent power behind your STABs.

Whoo! Alphabet Cup is March's OMotM! That's indeed an awesome occurrence. Thank you to everyone who voted, and things are going to be pretty awesome! Having a proper ladder established for is going to make discovery of suspects much easier, which is good. Also, I can finally play a game of my own meta, whoo! Once again, thank you all for voting. Feel free to post any effective movesets you discover over the course of the next month!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)