AP Exams

Hahahahaha I'm very flattered by your offer. Yes, I am going to cooper union. Unfortunately, I'm not that great at probability, and you're going to have to show me what counting is. Add me on skype (comatthew6)! I will also gladly accept your meowth/tirtouga trade ;)

comatt where are you going to college again, cooper union?

can you please help me with math? i not only admire your beautiful level 5 tirtuoga, but also your amazing math skills. i will possibly trade you a limb or my level 5 meowth.

----i'm being serious though, teach me math (particularly probability and counting).

I have no idea how, but somehow I managed to pull off four 5's this year (Calc BC, US History, Biology, and Physics B). I thought there was a slight chance that I'd fall in Bio and a HUGE chance in Physics; we had a sub with no official license to teach an AP class all year in Physics .-. But yeah, I'm glad about my results xD

Last year, I got 5's in Calc AB and Stat but that's more the result of math being my strongest suit than anything else prolly lol.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Got my official scorez. 5 on Calc AB, 4 Physics B, 3 German. Not really surprised with German, I knew I sucked at German. Previously I got a 4 on US history, 3 on Chem (screw you CHEM), and 5 on Biology. :)

Glad my first AP Exam was a good AP exam, I got a 4! I'm only a sophmore so AP European History was the only exam I could take. To be honest I did not expect this at all and was relieved when my parents told me my score on vacation. I left an entire FRQ blank haha looks like I should be more optimistic >_>

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
doughboy, if you put anything - ANYTHING in that free response question you would've gotten a 3 or 4 /9 and gotten a 5 overall, even a story about your first kiss or love of pikachu.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Got back my scores on Saturday, got a 5 in both AP World and Stat, didn't take any other courses since this is only sophomore year.

Frankly, Stat was disgustingly easy this (every?) year, and the fact that I got a 5 is not even near surprising. AP World on the other hand, was quite the nice surprise, considering CRICKET

doughboy, if you put anything - ANYTHING in that free response question you would've gotten a 3 or 4 /9 and gotten a 5 overall, even a story about your first kiss or love of pikachu.
well that's disappointing :( I would have put something, probably a singular thesis, but I unfortunately had 5 seconds to go :(

should have wrote about my love of 18th century wigs

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
5 on bio
5 on us hist
5 on chem (last yr)
5 on world (last yr)

my best advice is to get one of those princeton reviews (used 5 steps to 5 for bio). u can get away with not doing shit the entire year if u just bear down and power cram through one of those a day or two b4 so its fresh. also stay clutch on the multiple choice and keep a good pace etc. multiple choice is usually a good indicator for what ur final score will be and if u do well on it then it gives u a lot more wiggle room to bs ur way thru the written sections.

my school is p slack and only makes a lot of the courses available to seniors, so im gonna have to squeeze in bc calc, physics b, stats, and euro into my last yr -.-
It'll pay off in the end :]

Wow I'm three days l8 but WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WHO CARES IF YOU DIDN'T STUDY
Lol Vox I was just explaining why that grade was so low as opposed to the others. Badabing that sounds like a really risky plan but if you have the concentration go for it

Finally got mine!

Got 5s in Chemistry, Physics B, Calc AB, and World History, and then a 4 in English Lit. This adds onto last year when I got a 4 in English Language and French Language, so languages can go suck it :3

HolyChipmunk

California's finest chodesmuggler
Kind of late, but I finally got my WHAP score this morning.

I got a 4.

I was expecting a 2, I borrowed a book from my teacher the week before and didn't even study past Unit 1.

Wow. I'm going to be a sophomore in college this coming year. This is nostalgia city. It felt so weird this summer not waiting for scores to come in the mail.

But to actually contribute something for anyone thinking of taking any in the fall. For me the math and science ones paid off the most, but the majority of the liberal arts ones don't take as much effort and you can really pile them on and it pays off to have a bunch of credits. If you are on top of your stuff you can conceivably do a ton. Like for me in terms of time commitment:

us history+ gov/pol + psych + macro + micro + chem < bc calc + any physics

But of course like someone above of me said, getting out of introductory calc/physics/chem (or even knowing things ahead of time) is really worthwhile.

I got an email recently about my AP Calc BC score - since I got a 5, I can opt out of a couple elementary calculus courses. I'm in the honors program at my school, and they gave me the option of going straight into either calc 291 or honors calc 251 - the former being a third-semester course and the latter being an honors version of a second-semester course.

Any advice? I'm extremely comfortable with calculus so it's more about the issue of which course to take, not necessarily the material.

I would probably go with Calculus III myself (assuming that is the equivalent of the third-semester calculus course offered at your school). No reason to learn the same material over again unless you need a GPA booster or something like that.

Cant take AP's as a freshman but I can next year. How are the tests/classes :O?
From personal experience, the rigor of an AP class mostly depends on who your teacher ends up being. You will find that an AP class can actually be fairly easy to do well in if the teacher does not have much interest in teaching and, as an extension, challenging his students. Keep in mind, though, that to do well on the actual AP exam, you will want to have a good teacher to adequately prepare you throughout the year, else you will have to study on your own which may or may not work out well. Also, I will add that some AP classes / exams are naturally easier than others. For instance, AP Psychology is nowhere near as difficult or material intensive as, say, the AP Physics C classes.

I got an email recently about my AP Calc BC score - since I got a 5, I can opt out of a couple elementary calculus courses. I'm in the honors program at my school, and they gave me the option of going straight into either calc 291 or honors calc 251 - the former being a third-semester course and the latter being an honors version of a second-semester course.

Any advice? I'm extremely comfortable with calculus so it's more about the issue of which course to take, not necessarily the material.
It's not as simple as choosing between "Calc II" and "Calc III". Unlike high school, in college, the honors distinction may not be a formality. At my school the medium-difficulty calculus course is basically BC calc/hs-level multivariable material. Nothing new, you just have to work a bit harder. The honors course is proof-based and unlike any math class I'd taken before. Unless you have no interest in pursuing math I would take the honors course, especially since you say you had no difficulty with BC and you're in the honors program. In any event they will probably let you drop down in the first few weeks if you decide you hate it but it's much harder to move up.

In any event they will probably let you drop down in the first few weeks if you decide you hate it but it's much harder to move up.
This interested me - is Honors Calc II considered a "higher-level course" than Calc III? Given the option of transferring from one to the other over the course of the school year, should I choose to do so, which way would be easier?

If your school's honors math courses are proof-based while the non-honors courses aren't proof-based, it would be incredibly difficult to transfer from 291 to 251. Whether they let you transfer either way is up to the math department at your school, but my friends didn't have any trouble transferring from honors calc 1 to regular calc 3 my first year. If you've taken BC you know all the basic ideas covered in calc 1-2 anyways. There's probably an undergrad counselor who would be happy to discuss your options before you register for classes.

If your school's honors math courses are proof-based while the non-honors courses aren't proof-based, it would be incredibly difficult to transfer from 291 to 251. Whether they let you transfer either way is up to the math department at your school, but my friends didn't have any trouble transferring from honors calc 1 to regular calc 3 my first year. If you've taken BC you know all the basic ideas covered in calc 1-2 anyways. There's probably an undergrad counselor who would be happy to discuss your options before you register for classes.
Oh okay, I see. Thanks a lot for your help!

wow you guys all did so good :O I didn't do nearly as well on mine

I got a 3 on Physics B, mainly because I really messed up the free response, im pretty happy with this considering I found it very difficult while writing it.

I got a 4 on European History, the DBQ was about such an obscure thing that even reading the documents didn't leave me with much information

And i got a 3 on English Lit and Comp, I'm really surprised with that as I thought my essays were absolutely atrocious.

As someone who took a ton of AP Exams (13, with 5s on all of them), I can tell you they're pretty easy as long as you understand the material and have taken a practice test or two. As results are almost out, some advice for the semester - listen well and take notes. Don't try and cram them in last minute in the spring. Building the foundation in the fall semester will pay off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)