Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer (Mark 1)

What is a good way to get into Little Cup? I've been looking to get into it, and plan on using the "Common Team" to start out, but I can't find anyone on the unrated thing. So without being able to play, if I couldn't find anyone, do I need to just wait until Shoddy Battle 2?

Doug's Create-A-Pokemon Server has a Little Cup ladder, and I think TU may as well. There are generally people ready to LC battle on Doug's whenever I'm on.

As for the LC Warstories, I'm getting conflicting responses on IRC, but personally I would post one in the main Stark...

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
What is a good way to get into Little Cup? I've been looking to get into it, and plan on using the "Common Team" to start out, but I can't find anyone on the unrated thing. So without being able to play, if I couldn't find anyone, do I need to just wait until Shoddy Battle 2?
Typically, you can ask in the chat if you want to play Unrated Little Cup. Also, if you are on SU, try going to CAP, since a majority of LC players are there.

edit: EM beat me by 26 seconds!

Thanks guys. I'll be spending tons of time polishing up my LC game now.

@Elevator Music: I think Warstories would be great to have. They would show me and a bunch of new people all about LC and how to play well. It may even convert a few players into playing LC, after seeing how cool it is.

I fail at reading 3 posts up.

Regardless, is CAP down? I'm trying to connect right now and it's not wanting to let me in.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I fail at reading 3 posts up.

Regardless, is CAP down? I'm trying to connect right now and it's not wanting to let me in.
Yes, the CaP server is down. In the meantime you can play unrated or on the TeamUber and Pokemonexperte servers, which both have Little Cup ladders.

Yes, the CaP server is down. In the meantime you can play unrated or on the TeamUber and Pokemonexperte servers, which both have Little Cup ladders.
I think I was in the middle of a match with you and TeamUber went down too. What's with the servers tonight?

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SDS and I were talking about this yesterday, but I would appreciate some confirmation...

Say Drifloon is holding Berry Juice and gets knocked down to 50%. It consumes the Juice and goes back to 100%, losing it's Burden and doubling it's speed. It gets knocked back down to 50% (Phanpy used Ice Shard) and Drifloon uses Recycle. Drifloon consumes the Juice again, going back up to full health. Does Drifloon's speed double again?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SDS and I were talking about this yesterday, but I would appreciate some confirmation...

Say Drifloon is holding Berry Juice and gets knocked down to 50%. It consumes the Juice and goes back to 100%, losing it's Burden and doubling it's speed. It gets knocked back down to 50% (Phanpy used Ice Shard) and Drifloon uses Recycle. Drifloon consumes the Juice again, going back up to full health. Does Drifloon's speed double again?
As it is losing its item again, yes, it will receive a Speed boost after Recycling Berry Juice and then consuming it again.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In that case, subsequent question:

Will Drifloon lose its speed boost when it regains its Berry Juice?

Also, your answer applies to Shoddy Battle. Can you confirm that is how it works in Platinum or HGSS?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RB-Golbat has told me that if it Recycles its item it will not keep its speed boost.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is onix viable as a physical wall in LC?
Onix is not exactly a wall in that it can hit back hard enough with powerful and near unresisted dual STAB despite its low attack, and even with that stunning base 160 Def it can be worn down by neutral hits with no viable recovery. However Onix can switch into quite a few physical attackers comfortably, and check many of them (an Onix survived my Machop's Dynamicpunch today, only took ~87%, but died to confusion damage). In LC you don't really look for general "special/physical walls" outside of maybe Munchlax (and even then, barely), because there is no Skarmory or Blissey equivilent that can switch into a vast majory of sweepers for their type, inspead you find Pokemon that are effective against specific physical or special threats or groups of them.

Similar to OU, Rock/Ground isn't an effective defensive combination because most of the Physical sweepers are Fighting, Water, or Ground typed, meaning you will likely still get OHKOed. You're better off using Duskull, Phanpy, or Gligar, as physical walls.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Onix was good in early LC, when Murkrow was available, as it was possibly the only real "counter" to the devastating SubKrow, but since then it's kinda fallen out of use. Also, without recovery, it really can't take hits all that reliably over time.

Also, for what it's worth, X-Act's stats thread shows that Pokemon with high Defense compared to the opponent's Attack fare better in OU than they do in LC., which is a significant part of the equation. Onix's mediocre HP hurts it, as well as the also-mediocre base 45 Attack. It's largely outclassed by Rhyhorn (80/85/95 physical stats are far more solid than 30/45/160 stats) and Geodude (40/80/100, but Sucker Punch access makes up for low speed).

This seems strange; when Drifblim uses Trick, it gets a speed boost from Unburden that it keeps despite having an item equipped.
Well, if you think about, Drifloon(blim) does actually lose its item; but at the end of the process, it gets one back. For example:

Drifloon uses Trick.
Item has been lost.
Unburden activates.
Item has been gained.
Drifloon keeps the Speed boost.

Explain how the box trick leads to normal EV cap for Little Cup. Last I checked, you aren't allowed to use vitamins after 100 EVs in a stat...

by using experience shares and power items you can get any EV spread before a pokemon grows to level 6, sometimes this will be after it has grown to level 5 so you will need to use the box trick

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
On LCF, Eric proved that it was possible to get a full Attack and Special Defense (both requiring 252 EVs to max) spread on a Shuppet, which requires the least amount of EXP to level up, and thus any spread is possible. Granted, it may be difficult (needing to fight extremely low level stuff, using lots of EXP Share, catching Pokerus, using power items, etc), but it is absolutely possible to get 510 EVs on absolutely any Pokemon in LC. The Box Trick simply recalculates stats.

I'm assuming this is in the context of Farceus, which cannot gain more than 100 EVs in any stat. However, this is because Arceus cannot gain EXP, and thus cannot gain EVs outside of Vitamins. Pokemon in LC are not hampered in such a way, and can use the Box Trick to recalculate their stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)