Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Flying Press Edition

Let's say that you finished writing the full article on the Article Approvals. So, what would be next? I just read that I could message Bummer or the other of no one is checking. But so far, I respond to Skylight that it is ready, yet I have no access to the Media HQ. Perhaps its either not yet approved or something else

Let's say that you finished writing the full article on the Article Approvals. So, what would be next? I just read that I could message Bummer or the other of no one is checking. But so far, I respond to Skylight that it is ready, yet I have no access to the Media HQ. Perhaps its either not yet approved or something else
Hi, I'm looking at your thread right now, it's not quite approved yet. See the yellow "Pending" stamp next to the title? When the article is fully approved, that should turn to a blue "approved" one, the thread will be locked, and you should get Media HQ access (either that or it gets rejected). Until then, you just have to wait, unless they take an absurd amount of time to check it which normally won't happen. The topic is kinda interesting though so it probably will take a bit more time (at this point you could probably message some again to check it, it HAS been a while, but that's not my call, and if you want I can scan through it as soon as I get onto a computer). Don't worry, it will be checked / approved soon enough :)

Last edited:
I was wondering if someone wanted to contribute an article of writing relevant to how competitve gamers(read Pokeon players) make their decisions and stuff, where could post it get feedback and stuff?

My article idea has an approved stamp, but the thread isn't locked yet and........ Where will I write the full article?

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
My article idea has an approved stamp, but the thread isn't locked yet and........ Where will I write the full article?
When the trad is approved you will get access to a private subforum here where you're expected to write your article. You do have to wait until someone able to give you that permission has time to give it to you, though. (You can still write it on your computer and just post a thread when you get access, though)

I was wondering if someone wanted to contribute an article of writing relevant to how competitve gamers(read Pokeon players) make their decisions and stuff, where could post it get feedback and stuff?
Generally, you can just submit an article to article approvals (found here) and explain what you want to write and how it would look. If you want feedback before submitting, you can ask in the flying press room on PS (here). There's always someone there you can talk to.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why aren't GPers/HTMLers in the byline for articles ('Edited by x and y. Layout by z')? It doesn't take a whole lot of work to acknowledge them and is useful because whenever I read an article in the Twitter feed with a nice design, I have to open up the forums to see who the HTMLer was (or if I find a typo, I can call out the GPer who edited the article >:U). It's a small inconvenience but it would be pretty rad if you could do something about it, and I'm sure those contributors would be happy to be recognized in a more prominent location too!!

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why aren't GPers/HTMLers in the byline for articles ('Edited by x and y. Layout by z')? It doesn't take a whole lot of work to acknowledge them and is useful because whenever I read an article in the Twitter feed with a nice design, I have to open up the forums to see who the HTMLer was (or if I find a typo, I can call out the GPer who edited the article >:U). It's a small inconvenience but it would be pretty rad if you could do something about it, and I'm sure those contributors would be happy to be recognized in a more prominent location too!!
this will be taken into account, thank you for your suggestion :)

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just as a general note we tend to get people to stick to three or so at most at the same time (hasn't been enforced recently because not too many people have been writing multiple articles but still). If they're really good at getting articles done then four-five but that's about the limit or else people get complacent and forget to write an article.

Hi, I had 3 ideas for my next article and I was wondering which would be better and why. The ideas were:

Here there be Dragons! Dragon types in UU
I'll talk about Salamence, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kyurem, M-Sceptile and maybe M-Apharos and Dragalge

NFEs in PU
I'll talk about Pawniard, Vullaby, Fraxure, Tangela, Clefairy (maybe Duosion)

Revived and Ready! Fossils in LC

I'll talk about Archen, Omanyte, Tirtouga and Cranidos

im looking for an article on prediction and how to use it correctly. i read once a couple months ago. in the article the writer used an example with swampert and celebi. i found a new article on prediction but this was not the same one i read before: http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_psychological_warfare, i have since needed to read the article again and i cant quite remember how i found it the first time. i have gone through all the smog articles and searched the threads using the word "prediction" and i have came up with nothing. maybe im not looking in the right places? i was wondering if anyone was familiar with the article and if not, could anyone point me out to another thread where i could ask this question. thanks.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im looking for an article on prediction and how to use it correctly. i read once a couple months ago. in the article the writer used an example with swampert and celebi. i found a new article on prediction but this was not the same one i read before: http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_psychological_warfare, i have since needed to read the article again and i cant quite remember how i found it the first time. i have gone through all the smog articles and searched the threads using the word "prediction" and i have came up with nothing. maybe im not looking in the right places? i was wondering if anyone was familiar with the article and if not, could anyone point me out to another thread where i could ask this question. thanks.
Is this what you're looking for?

Also btw, The Smog archives can be found here, in case anyone wants to find something.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you get another article approved?
Depends on the context. A writer may not have too many active articles at once. I think the max is having 2 wip articles? Someone more active might want to chime in on that haha.

You could get your article idea approved first but it probably won't be scheduled yet until your active articles are completed. If you've already completed them you can work on another one.

Getting them approved is one thing and getting them worked on is another.

Hope that helps :)

Conni

katharsis
Depends on the context. A writer may not have too many active articles at once. I think the max is having 2 wip articles? Someone more active might want to chime in on that haha.

You could get your article idea approved first but it probably won't be scheduled yet until your active articles are completed. If you've already completed them you can work on another one.

Getting them approved is one thing and getting them worked on is another.

Hope that helps :)
Ha alright, thanks. Usually I'm the type of person who finishes things on the get-go without distractions.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is there a place around here where you can see what categories we use in the Flying Press, and whom to contact about each category? I know I'm in Entertainment, but if, say, I wanted to hear with somebody about an in-game article, who should I contact?

The reason why I ask is this thread, which seems to be written as a quite comprehensive guide to the Gen III Battle Frontier. Instead of lying hidden in the forums, I think it could do well as an Article, but somebody more well-versed in a) the Battle Frontier; and b) what Articles we already have about it on site; ought to take a look at it before we take steps in that direction. If somebody could tag the somebody on the relevant team, or point me to a thread where those folks are listed, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Conni

katharsis
Is there a place around here where you can see what categories we use in the Flying Press, and whom to contact about each category? I know I'm in Entertainment, but if, say, I wanted to hear with somebody about an in-game article, who should I contact?

The reason why I ask is this thread, which seems to be written as a quite comprehensive guide to the Gen III Battle Frontier. Instead of lying hidden in the forums, I think it could do well as an Article, but somebody more well-versed in a) the Battle Frontier; and b) what Articles we already have about it on site; ought to take a look at it before we take steps in that direction. If somebody could tag the somebody on the relevant team, or point me to a thread where those folks are listed, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
I'm not a staff member or anything but generation 6 articles like ORAS in-game articles go into Sixth Generation C&C Articles and Letters Thread. Past Generation Articles and Letters go into the Past Generation C&C Articles and Letters. I don't really know why they are separated from The Flying Press but most of the articles there are guides for their respective forums. Like explaining mechanics like TM'S and HM's or for any type of guide for a feature in-game. So I think the Battle Frontier Thread you suggested would belong in the Past Generation C&C Articles and Letters. I'm not really sure, so you might have to double check.

sandshrewz

POTATO

Thanks in advance!
Ah been meaning to reply to this. I don't think there's a current list of QCers by category for SFP. Or at least I couldn't find any. Maybe anto would be able to help haha. I did redirect him to RoA. Though I'm not too sure if it's his intention to make it a full article or merely a compilation of what's good and works. I remember there was a record thread for Emerald Battle Tower but I can't find it :( Was trying to find if there were still active people who were familiar with the Emerald Battle Tower. I don't think there is though ? Maybe like Mekkah/Hipmonlee/Jumpman I can't remember who it was that went on a crazy streak.

I checked the ADV gen and in-game articles and there wasn't a Emerald BT one. Anyway http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ http://www.smogon.com/ingame/bc/ http://www.smogon.com/rs/ for reference.

Past gen articles such as the ADV threatlist can be written in RoA itself if it also serves as a purpose of discussion. QC and discussions can be done in RoA and then copy the content over to C&C for GP/HTML, though it can be also done in RoA but is neater in C&C and doesn't detract the discussion if any.

If it wants to be done as an article, I suppose anyone who's familiar with the ADV meta and is probably an ADV QC can just QC it regardless of whether they are an in-game expert or not. They would be the next best people to QC it if we can't find who were the actual people who invested time into Battle Tower.

Also http://www.smogon.com/ingame/bc/dp_bt_intro might be helpful.

hi im not sure where to put this but in
http://www.smogon.com/articles/lc-spotlight-gothita
under the calm mind stallbreaker set:
Unlike the standard Gothita, which traps and KOes more offensive threats on a team with its Choice Scarf, a Calm Mind set allows Gothita to eliminate more bulky Pokémon on a team, thanks to their weaker damage output, allowing Gothita to easily heal off the damage with Rest. The combination of Rest and Calm Mind means Gothita can take on common walls one-on-one, such as Foongus and Porygon, which lack the ability to break through Gothita once it has attained enough Calm Mind boosts. Rest and Sleep Talk ensures that status won't cripple Gothita, as well as keeping up pressure during Gothita's Rest turns. Charm allows Gothita to trap Ponyta, provided Gothita does not come in as Ponyta attacks, and Snubbull, provided Gothita does not lose its Eviolite to Thief. With Charm, Gothita is able to trap all Fighting counters, with the exception of Cottonee. With Charm, Gothita is able to trap all Fighting counters, Cottonee being the only exception. Psyshock is used over Psychic to ensure that it won't lose Calm Mind wars against Calm Mind Spritzee. If Dark-type Pokémon have been eliminated, Gothita turns from a Pokémon that can probably only get one KO to a potential wincon.
in the bolded part you can see it says gothita can trap all fighting counters twice and previous to that it also starts the sentence with "charm" (which imo doesnt go too well with the sentence after "with charm" but thats most likely personal preference). mainly the typo is in the bolded part tho

hi im not sure where to put this but in
http://www.smogon.com/articles/lc-spotlight-gothita
under the calm mind stallbreaker set:

in the bolded part you can see it says gothita can trap all fighting counters twice and previous to that it also starts the sentence with "charm" (which imo doesnt go too well with the sentence after "with charm" but thats most likely personal preference). mainly the typo is in the bolded part tho
That was probably left over from a GP check or something. I removed the repeated sentence, thanks~

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
What's the difference between subscribing to all articles and watching this forum so you get an alert when new threads are posted?

Conni

katharsis
What's the difference between subscribing to all articles and watching this forum so you get an alert when new threads are posted?
If you subscribe to all categories, newly released articles of the category you subscribed to will be in your inbox so you can read it. If you watch the forum you get alerts for new threads. The difference is that subscribing sends new articles to your inbox, if you watch the forum you get alerts for new threads or messages

A quick question:
I was away (busy with studies and stuff like that) and couldn't complete the article on time. So it was bumped and moved to Archives. But now I can finally get to it and complete it. What should I do?? Thanks for help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)