Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on using dragonite as a sweeperor offensive fighter on my team. Should i use bulky dd or offensive dd or choice band?
It depends on your team. What role do you need to fill? All three sets play very differently and do better on different styles of teams.

Would a Forretress set of Spikes/Rapid Spin/Gyro Ball/Volt Switch be viable? I don't particularly need Toxic Spikes on my team.
Yeah, that's perfectly fine. The sets listed on Smogon aren't absolute. Basically every good team will tweak move sets, EVs, or items to fit the team's needs, so don't carry a move just because the guides recommend it if it won't help.

Sorry if this has been said somewhere and I'm just missing it, but is Peteya berry legal now? I've heard yes, no, and only salac is legal from different people so any help would be nice.

A bit of a trivial question, but I noticed the new avatar limits are 150 X 150. Im wondering if this is actually enforced or not because I I may like to change my avatar, but wouldn't want to if my avatar gets even smaller than now. I can't really test this because, well I may end up with a stunted avatar, and id rather not have that. Im just wondering if anyone has played with this.

It depends on your team. What role do you need to fill? All three sets play very differently and do better on different styles of teams.
Im looking to have dragonite sweep and hopefully do well. While i need dragonite to have speed and have threatening power, i dont want it to die too fast. Some of the pokemon. I might put it with specially defensive jirachi, defensive bronzong, sr defensive swampert, mixed infernape, defensive rotom-w, tormenter/specially defensive heatran, and substitute/scarfed magnezone. I need dragonite to have that awesome immediate power while still retaining a good amount of speed and be able to take a few hits.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I plan on using dragonite as a sweeperor offensive fighter on my team. Should i use bulky dd or offensive dd or choice band?
I'd say go with offensive Dragonite. It has the best ability to sweep. Choice Band is more about opening holes and the bulky dd usually doesn't sweep nearly as well as the fully offensive version.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Sorry if this has been said somewhere and I'm just missing it, but is Peteya berry legal now? I've heard yes, no, and only salac is legal from different people so any help would be nice.
While all the pinch berries are probably available in BW2, photographic confirmation hasn't been provided for all of them. Last I heard Petaya was one of the unconfirmed ones and is thus illegal for the moment.

Questions...

Got few questions:

1.)If a Pokemon uses trick with a choice item, does he get locked into Trick?

2.)A Pokemon with ability Natural Cure has been put to sleep and then switches out. Does Sleep Clause is still active or the Pokemon which is switched in can be put to sleep?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Would any like to trade me a modest dream world bulbasaur?
This isn't the place to ask. Try going to Simple Questions, Simple Requests in the WiFi forum.
Since Soul Dew is released, does this mean Latios and Latias are going to banned from OU?
No. Soul Dew is Uber, but the Lati twins are not.
Got few questions:

1.)If a Pokemon uses trick with a choice item, does he get locked into Trick? If it fails to trick its Choice item or receives another Choice item, I believe so.

2.)A Pokemon with ability Natural Cure has been put to sleep and then switches out. Does Sleep Clause is still active or the Pokemon which is switched in can be put to sleep?Sleep Clause would not be active because the Pokemon is now awake.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Got few questions:

2.)A Pokemon with ability Natural Cure has been put to sleep and then switches out. Does Sleep Clause is still active or the Pokemon which is switched in can be put to sleep?
1) After the pokemon uses trick to rid itself of it's choice item, it is no longer locked into trick.

2) No, the pokemon that switches in can immediately be put to sleep.

Got few questions:

Just a small correction to what Articblast said. I believe Trick would lock you in if you tricked yourself a choice item in previous generations, but that's not how it works in Gen V according to the research thread. Here's the relevant post:

Confirmed If a Trick user holding a Choice item swaps with another Pokemon holding a Choice item, they are not locked into Trick the turn immediately after. (Death Phenomeno)

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware Excadrill got banned. I'm new here. My Gliscor is definitely going to be a physical wall/ support. So i suppose offensive T-tar is what I'm going to go with. Now I pose the question of three possible pokemon to put into my sand team... I still really want to run a sand team in this meta, despite the loss of my favorite mole. Any suggestions to round out what I have? So far its looking like T-tar, Gliscor, and Terrakion are definites.

) After the pokemon uses trick to rid itself of it's choice item, it is no longer locked into trick.
I forgot to mention that he Tricks a Choice item and gets a Choice item back.

Just a small correction to what Articblast said. I believe Trick would lock you in if you tricked yourself a choice item, but that's not how it works in Gen V according to the research thread. Here's the relevant post:
That answered my question. :)

Thanks for the answers!!

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware Excadrill got banned. I'm new here. My Gliscor is definitely going to be a physical wall/ support. So i suppose offensive T-tar is what I'm going to go with. Now I pose the question of three possible pokemon to put into my sand team... I still really want to run a sand team in this meta, despite the loss of my favorite mole. Any suggestions to round out what I have? So far its looking like T-tar, Gliscor, and Terrakion are definites.
You would have a massive weakness to offensive rain teams if that was the case (3 water weaknesses is a lot). I would suggest pokes that can help buffer that...a solid, bulky grass type (or another water type) may help out. I'm not sure about Ferrothorn, because 3x fighting weaknesses is also something to avoid.

I was just wondering if I could start up a thread on Sigilyph in the Overused forums? I saw one thread made for it that was locked. The other thread was for VGC's.

so... excadrill and thundurus in OU? are the therians all in Ou?
If I'm understanding the first question correctly, no, Excadrill and Thundurus are still Uber. The therians however are indeed all currently overused, and will remain so at the very least until the metagame begins to stabilize (as new bans or unbans aren't going to be considered until then) and most likely longer than that.

Edit:
I was just wondering if I could start up a thread on Sigilyph in the Overused forums? I saw one thread made for it that was locked. The other thread was for VGC's.
It's good that you took the time to look, but there actually is a Sigilyph thread already. Here's a link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79322&highlight=sigilyph

I'm currently running an anti-rain themed team and I'm looking for a good Rain Dance setter to throw off other weather starters. My current one is Lanturn which helps me stop Volt-turn but is there a better more offensive one? I am already using Specs Kingdra.

A couple of questions!!! PLZ read!

First of all, hello everyone!

Im playing Pokemon Platinum and I have a couple of questions about how to get my pokemon as best as possible. I have read all of your articles and the only one i completely understood was about how to Ev train.

Here comes the questions:

1. At what lvl should i start thinking about breeding, catching and Ev-training my pokemon? And by lvl i mean at wich point in the game..

2. If i want to get a pokemon with a specific nature, IV and moves, how should i do it. Can u explain it in an easy way. I did NOT understand about the RNG mechanics.

3. And how should i catch my desired pokemon (with desired nature, IV etc)

4. How do you know what IV your pokemon have, i.e. what number?

5. Do the pokemon have different IVs for different stats? i.e. for speed, att etc.

6. What lvls do you often battle with in tournaments, i.e. what lvl should i train my pokemon to?

7. Wich one should i use in my pokemon team, turtwig or chimchar? And plz tell me why?

Thank you in advance!! I would REALLLLLY apreciate if someone could answer some or all of my questions. And when you answer could you plz answer in the most simplest way possible :D
Thank you again!

Im playing Pokemon Platinum and I have a couple of questions about how to get my pokemon as best as possible. I have read all of your articles and the only one i completely understood was about how to Ev train.
Back when I was a beginner to competitive pokemon, this article helped me understand a bit better and gave me enough background to understand the more complicated articles on IVs.

http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

As for breeding for perfect IV's, it is a very long process.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_breeding

That article gives you all the basics and the site contains a lot of useful info about game mechanics to help you out.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Here comes the questions:

1. At what lvl should i start thinking about breeding, catching and Ev-training my pokemon? And by lvl i mean at wich point in the game..

2. If i want to get a pokemon with a specific nature, IV and moves, how should i do it. Can u explain it in an easy way. I did NOT understand about the RNG mechanics.

3. And how should i catch my desired pokemon (with desired nature, IV etc)

4. How do you know what IV your pokemon have, i.e. what number?

5. Do the pokemon have different IVs for different stats? i.e. for speed, att etc.

6. What lvls do you often battle with in tournaments, i.e. what lvl should i train my pokemon to?

7. Wich one should i use in my pokemon team, turtwig or chimchar? And plz tell me why?

Thank you in advance!! I would REALLLLLY apreciate if someone could answer some or all of my questions. And when you answer could you plz answer in the most simplest way possible :D
Thank you again!
Hello and welcome to smogon! You have quite a few questions, so I'll try to answer them best as possible. But first things first, it's kind of late to be playing Platinum- we're already three games and one generation ahead. Try getting some newer game, such as BW or BW2 when it comes out.
1.EV train as soon as possible, but it's easiest once you've beaten the game and have access to all wild pokemon available.
Questions 2,3,4, and 5 are all similar, and deal with the mechanics of IV's and EV's. I'll summarize what they are here. All pokemon have base stats- they are the set in concrete, you can not change number- the game developers decide each species base stat. What YOU can manipulate, however, are the added points towards stats- the EV's and IV's.
EV's are effort values. Think of these as bonuses towards certain stats that your pokemon earns depending on the pokemon they battle. These are more manipulateable- if you mess up, you can erase them, and you can get them quickly through vitamins (calcium, etc.)
IV's are individual values. As the name suggests, IV's are stat bonuses that each individual pokemon earn. These vary for every pokemon. These are also set in stone once a pokemon hatches from it's egg. These you have no power over once your egg is taken from the daycare man.
I really can't explain how to manipulate IV's here without taking too much space, but the general idea is to breed two pokemon with high IV's in order to get another with equally high IV's. I understand your confusion because it is quite confusing.
in order to view your IV's, you have to use an IV calculator- the one I use is on serebii, but you can just google search it. There is no other way to view your IV's.
as for EV's, there is also no other way besides cold cut tallying the pokemon you defeat and keeping track as your poke gains levels. If you talk so certain NPCs in the game, they will notify you if your pokemon maxes out in EV's.
6. Common lvls are 50 and 100. Good luck XD
7. It depends on what tier you play but because this is the OU subforum the obvious answer is chimchar because of it's high speed and offensive stats, and great movepool.

I hope I helped! Once again, welcome to the site!

I'm currently running an anti-rain themed team and I'm looking for a good Rain Dance setter to throw off other weather starters. My current one is Lanturn which helps me stop Volt-turn but is there a better more offensive one? I am already using Specs Kingdra.
Tornadus? An EBelt(or... DampRock, right?) set with RainDance/Hurricane(AirSlash)/FocusBlast/HeatWave(Taunt) could work, but it doesn't stop volt-turn, just abuses the possible enemy rain.

Jirachi can do it, too. You can use the usual Haxrachi with raindance over SR, if some other poke has it.

I do hope that this is the right place. Though I have been playing OU BW1 for a few months now, I'm completely new to BW2 and still in the gist of familiarizing myself with the new threats and changes(General Meta Disc) Atm, I'm trying to build my very own team (lol I'm one of those people who kinda use teams from the RMT sections and modify them to my liking :s) based around Techniloom as a well breaker and revenge killer and Moxiemence as an end game sweeper. Are there any offensive cores I could use based around these mons. I'm trying to make a HO weatherless team but I'm open to any changes :) Until then, I'll try to updat myself with the discussion boards again. Thanks again and sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)