Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 19 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm pretty new to IV breeding, and on various forums I hear people saying "I'm still SR'ing XXX." I know what soft resetting, and the whole 'saving before collecting the egg' strategy. But my question is, once you hatch a baby Pokemon (with the right nature, e.t.c.), AND the right characteristic, how do you tell what the IV's are? Do you have to use Rare Candies or the IV Check code? I'll give an example.

My current project is an Impish Hippopotas/Hippowdon with: 31/31/31/x/31/31. I save before talking to the Day-Care Man, then collect and hatch the egg. It's male and Impish, just what I want. The characteristic is "Capable of Taking Hits," which is the one that COULD be 31 IV's in Defense. Both of my parents have a 31 IV in Defense, so chances their baby with Capable of Taking Hits has the same. But how do I tell what the other IV's are when it's only Lv 1 without using Rare Candies or the IV Check code? RC's take FOREVER just to check one Pokemon and for some reason my IV Check code won't work for me. WiFi battles don't work because you have to save. PLEASE tell me how to check the IV's! Thanks in advance! :)

@Tyler422: It helps to read a person's post completely before replying to it. He can't do WiFi battles because you have to save before going online.

@wombat114: Using Metalkid's IV calculator is probably your best solution if your IV code doesn't work. You still need to use Rare Candies/level it up in battle, but at least you won't have to level it quite as much as using a standard IV calc.

If you want to check the ivs on a pokemon you should go into wifi and do a lvl 100 battle and it will automaticaly turn your pokemon into lvl 100 so you don't have to RC it. Then go to an IV calculator at serebii ,etc. and type in the stats of the pokemon and then it will tell you what the ivs are.
I said I can't do that because to go into WiFi you have to save the game, which means I can't SR after that. If you didn't know, SR means Soft Reset. You press L+R+Start+Select and it restarts the game but not the DS. Like what happens if you choose Rest in between Battle Tower Battles.

@Tyler422: It helps to read a person's post completely before replying to it. He can't do WiFi battles because you have to save before going online.

@wombat114: Using Metalkid's IV calculator is probably your best solution if your IV code doesn't work. You still need to use Rare Candies/level it up in battle, but at least you won't have to level it quite as much as using a standard IV calc.
I am familiar with Metalkid. Could you tell me an approximate level I'd have to enter stats up to for a correct result?

P.S. There is another IV code I might try, but it's sort of long. The problem is I lost the cord that connects my AR to the computer so I can't use really long codes without wasting 25 minutes...

Can I ask a question here about trying to download the latest version of NetBattle for Diamond and Pearl? I tried using Google but I can't seem to find an answer to my problem :/

haunter

Banned deucer.
Why Perish Song?
Oh, sorry for being so late... Well, perish song is an extremely useful support move to force out stat-uppers that you can't beat otherwise, especially if you lack a hazer or roarer, think of cro-Cune in OU or cro-Tomb in UU. Altaria has the defensive stats to use perish song effectively, that's why I suggested that move as an option.

Can I ask a question here about trying to download the latest version of NetBattle for Diamond and Pearl? I tried using Google but I can't seem to find an answer to my problem :/
I don't use NetBattle, but did you try on the official site?

I am familiar with Metalkid. Could you tell me an approximate level I'd have to enter stats up to for a correct result?
You'd probably have to go up to lvl 15 or 20 before the calculator starts giving you suggested EVs to find the exact IVs for non-characteristic stats (by that, I mean "Capable of taking hits" for DEF, "Alert to sounds" for SPE, etc.), but you'll be able to find out if any stats are not 31 almost immediately.

OK, I'm pretty new to IV breeding, and on various forums I hear people saying "I'm still SR'ing XXX." I know what soft resetting, and the whole 'saving before collecting the egg' strategy. But my question is, once you hatch a baby Pokemon (with the right nature, e.t.c.), AND the right characteristic, how do you tell what the IV's are? Do you have to use Rare Candies or the IV Check code? I'll give an example.

My current project is an Impish Hippopotas/Hippowdon with: 31/31/31/x/31/31. I save before talking to the Day-Care Man, then collect and hatch the egg. It's male and Impish, just what I want. The characteristic is "Capable of Taking Hits," which is the one that COULD be 31 IV's in Defense. Both of my parents have a 31 IV in Defense, so chances their baby with Capable of Taking Hits has the same. But how do I tell what the other IV's are when it's only Lv 1 without using Rare Candies or the IV Check code? RC's take FOREVER just to check one Pokemon and for some reason my IV Check code won't work for me. WiFi battles don't work because you have to save. PLEASE tell me how to check the IV's! Thanks in advance! :)
If you're familliar w/ the RNG reporter Mingot made, you can use that to check the IV's. What I do is pickup the egg, go catch a high level pokemon, enter the neccesary info into the program, and create the list using DPPt (Breeding). Then I go onto Metalkid's IV checker, and go to about level 5 w/ the pokemon. I use the calculations from the IV checker and use those to limit the search in the program. Hopefully, it'll only have one spread that's under 20 (if you pick up right as the game starts). If it doesn't, then level it up a little more so that the search results get smaller until you find what you need.

Yeah Haunter I've tried downloading from the official site but when i get to the installation screen it says that it can't copy the file and when the installation finishes it looks like nothing happened.

Sorry to ask another stupid Question but here goes.

I'm training a Blissey I've used 4 SpA 10 SpD and 10 Def vitamins, I then battled (using the necessary bracer + pkrs) 15 Geodudes and 11 Tentacools and then another Geodude and three Tenticool's (without bracer's) by my maths that means Blissey should be Ev trained but when I go to the effort lady she says I need to work harder.
By my maths I've spent 252 Ev's in Defence, 40 In Special Attack and 216 in Special Defence.

My question is where have I gone wrong? Why aren't the EV's maxed?

Once again sorry for asking what's probably a complete noob mistake.

Sorry to ask another stupid Question but here goes.

I'm training a Blissey I've used 4 SpA 10 SpD and 10 Def vitamins, I then battled (using the necessary bracer + pkrs) 15 Geodudes and 11 Tentacools and then another Geodude and three Tenticools (without bracers) by my maths that means Blissey should be Ev trained but when I go to the effort lady she says I need to work harder.

My question is where have I gone wrong? Why arent the EV's maxed?

Once again sorry for asking whats probably a complete noob mistake.
(4 x 10) + (10 x 10) + (10 x 10) + (2(1 + 4(15))) + (2(1 + 4(11)) + 1 + 3 = 504.

You're short 6 EVs.

I don't quite understand what one can actually DO with their Secret ID... particularly since it can't be changed after it's been uncovered. Is it used to create shinies?

I have just one quick question:

I recently got a hold on a Timid Manaphy with some pretty good IV's (31 in HP and SpA!) over GTS, but I think it's too good to be true. Everything seems to be ok from looking at it's summary, but I would just like to take extra precaution to making sure it isn't hacked. I'm not sure how to upload the .pkm file from my game to the computer if that's what I need to do. Where can I go or what can I do?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If a poisoned Trace Gardevoir switches out from Natural Cure Blissey, is she healed?
If it copied Blissey's ability, then yes.

If I use a few different alts on the suspect ladder, will the suspect experience be counted from all of them?

Hello! I just started off Pokémon Platinum and I picked Piplup as my Starter, but the game didn't ask me if I wanted to give a nickname to my Piplup! Is it possible to nickname your starter Pokémon?

Hello! I just started off Pokémon Platinum and I picked Piplup as my Starter, but the game didn't ask me if I wanted to give a nickname to my Piplup! Is it possible to nickname your starter Pokémon?
Yes, but not as you receive it; you have to 'get it' officially from the Prof, and then he'll give you a chance of nicknaming it.

When getting SID for RNG, what do you do when you have catched multiple shinies?
Just use any as long as they weren't hatched from an egg or whatever.

So my question (pretty dumb one tbh). If I'm EVing my Regirock on Mr. Mimes, how many points does each one actually give?

Mr Mimes give 2 sp def EVs each and I have a power band and pokérus.
So is it 12 or 8? I'm not sure if the power band bonus doubles up when a pokémon gives 2 EVs.

Thanks for your answers.

Why wouldn't she be healed? I think she will.
Well, I wasn't sure whether the healing or the loss of the Traced ability would come first during the switch. Maybe this'll help to show what I mean:

- Turn 1 -
1. Gardevoir switches in,
2. Traces Natural Cure
3. Blissey uses Toxic
- Turn 2 -
4. Blissey does whatever
5. Gardevoir switches out
6. Status is healed
7. Ability returns to Trace

or:

- Turn 1 -
2. Traces Natural Cure
3. Blissey uses Toxic
- Turn 2 -
4. Blissey does whatever
6. Ability returns to Trace
7. Gardevoir still poisoned

Thanks for your answers.

Well, I wasn't sure whether the healing or the loss of the Traced ability would come first during the switch. Maybe this'll help to show what I mean:

- Turn 1 -
2. Traces Natural Cure
3. Blissey uses Toxic
- Turn 2 -
4. Blissey does whatever
6. Status is healed
7. Ability returns to Trace

or:

- Turn 1 -
2. Traces Natural Cure
3. Blissey uses Toxic
- Turn 2 -
4. Blissey does whatever
6. Ability returns to Trace
7. Gardevoir still poisoned
Scenario number one, because if scenario 2 was correct, 'Tracing' Natural Cure wouldn't 'work'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)