Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 20 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Psychic generally isn't a good type? What about Ghost? Does Ghost give good coverage?
Yes, Psychic has generally been a bad typing as an attack, but defensively as a typing it has its fair share of usefullness. As its counter part, Ghost has actually been a much better typing than Psychic type because Ghost is immune to Normal and Fighting types, and unlike the Psychic who only resists Fighting and not being immune. Psychic does neutral to Ghost and Psychic does not very effective to another Psychic. Now comparing with Ghost type, Ghost hit super effective to both Psychic and Ghost types. In term of coverage and defensive capabilities, Ghost has usually been a superior typing than the Psychic. Game Freak were just having too much fetish with Psychic types for weird (pedophilic?) reasons we may never know.

If Latias wishes to had become a Dragon/Ghost type instead, she would done so immediately. Think of Giratina, it has always been a frightening fiend mainly because of its Ghost typing, and of course, as well as its humongous stats.

What do you mean by fetish?
And are you sure Psychic sucks on Latias? If Starmie uses it to fill, and NP Jynx actually benifits from it (Tentacruel!), so why not?
Also, if Mewtwo and Deoxys-A would be Ghost?

So Psychic generally isn't a good type?
Would it be true to say Psychic is a defensive/supportive-oriented type in D/P/Pt?
1) If Psychic has redaunt coverage with Dragon (thus not good on Latias), what is it even good for? Is it a good defensive type?
Was Psychic that bad ever since Gold and Silver?
Also, is Psychic generally poor typing?
So Psychic isn't good typing generally? Is that why Alakazam isn't very popular?
So Psychic is generally a very poor offensive type? Defensive?
People have given good answers to every single one of these. I am not trying to be rude, but it seems like what you want to get out of this is something other than what we have been giving you. If you could explain what you really want better, we could probably help you out. But you are just going to get the same answer as long as you keep asking the same question.

What do you mean by fetish?
And are you sure Psychic sucks on Latias? If Starmie uses it to fill, and NP Jynx actually benifits from it (Tentacruel!), so why not?
Also, if Mewtwo and Deoxys-A would be Ghost?
I was merely jesting when I used the term "fetish". And hell yes, Latias would actually love to have Ghost as its secondary typing instead of Psychic. Ghost typing would let Latias to be able to grasp even more free chances of switching in than it were a Psychic type. Ghost typing would give Latias the ability to switch in on Normal (Blissey can't touch with Seismis Toss now), Fighting and Bug.

As for Starmie, back in the D/P Era it would ever acquired the reason to use Psychic only for the very popular Heracross back then. If Starmie became a part Ghost, then Heracross would become limited to using Pursuit and Night Slash instead, as its STAB Megahorn became NVE on Ghost, and the two alternative moves are petty (pun intended) weak and would allow Starmie user to have even easier time against Heracross.

Jynx...if only it had Thunderbolt, sigh. In the tier where Jynx is being used, it was primarily belonged to that tier b/c it had such bad typing with Ice, and with its move pool.

Now Mewtwo and Deoxys as Ghost types? Then holy mackerel shit, they'd be tough mean cookies to take a bite out of, as Extreem Speed and its Psychic typing were the only arsenal and weakness people had been able to easily take them out.

People have given good answers to every single one of these. I am not trying to be rude, but it seems like what you want to get out of this is something other than what we have been giving you. If you could explain what you really want better, we could probably help you out. But you are just going to get the same answer as long as you keep asking the same question.
I actually used Psychic alot in R/S/E in-game, and in D/P people started saying they suck...still, is Psychic on Latias completely redaunt? What kind of STAB can be this bad (aside of Poison)?

I actually used Psychic alot in R/S/E in-game, and in D/P people started saying they suck...still, is Psychic on Latias completely redaunt? What kind of STAB can be this bad (aside of Poison)?
Think about it, Dragon hits everything but Steel (and Shedinja), Psychic can't quite touch Steel (or Shedinja), so it becomes rather redundant, unless you're hitting a Poison-Type, of which there are only about three in OU

Which is why Salamence and Dragonite don't run Aerial Ace-still, no uses for Psychic?
If Latias were to get Psycho Boost, would we use it?

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
By what % does Razor Fang increase Iron Head's chance to flinch, and how does it work with Serene Grace?

edit: ColdEye why bother using Psycho Boost when Draco Meteor has better coverage

Which is why Salamence and Dragonite don't run Aerial Ace-still, no uses for Psychic?
Giving up an additional move slot for an attack move Psychic would dearly costs Latias' life.

As is already been said by the person before me, Dragon as a typing is only resisted by Steel typing. We have already shown you how very ineffective Psychic as an attack type has been in term of coverage, so we'll skip that. Now let me show the varieties of user our Latias could become without the use of an attack move Psychic.

If Latias focuses on only Dragon type attack, she will now have the additional three move slots for the following sets: a. Trickster, b. Draco Meteor Cannon, c. Calm Mind Sweeper/Sub Special Wall Breaker, d. Dual Screener, e. Phazer/Staller, f. Life Ord Diversity Sweeper, g. Other.

If Latias wants to carry both Dragon move AND Psychic attack move, all of the above options are... gone. Completely and too ineffective for Latias to become of anything useful except being a good burden for her team mates.

Edit: If Psychic replaces Dragon Pulse, then anyting that is immune or resists Psychic like Tyranitar and Scizor will take very little to no damage and then can completely kill Latias without breaking a single sweat. If that scenario were with Dragon Pulse, then those two above would at least take some damage before getting to kill her. In that case it's better to be able to deliver some form of damage instead of doing very little to nothing with Psychic.

No. Think about it. Between Psychic and Dragon Pulse (both base 90 power), you've been answered already several times why Dragon Pulse is better. Between Psycho Boost and Draco Meteor (both base 140 power with the same -2SpA)... it's the exact same situation, you choose the Dragon move because of greater neutral coverage.

EDIT: woops, I 'm slow.

A random question, but does anyone know why Vaporeon runs 68 speed EVs in the standard wish set? There's no explanation in the analysis, and I wanted to know what exactly it was for (probably outspeeding a certain poke, but meh).

How much SpDef EV investment does a restalk gyara need to survive a +2 grass knot (coming from ape) after stealth rock damage :B?

How much SpDef EV investment does a restalk gyara need to survive a +2 grass knot (coming from ape) after stealth rock damage :B?
Gyarados needs 301 Special Defense, which you can't get with the Impish nature suggested in the analysis. You'll need to run a +SpDef nature and 152 SpDef EVs to survive Grass Knot 100% of the time.

if a defending pokemon uses protect against a poke that is using uturn... will the uturning poke have to switch out still?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
A random question, but does anyone know why Vaporeon runs 68 speed EVs in the standard wish set? There's no explanation in the analysis, and I wanted to know what exactly it was for (probably outspeeding a certain poke, but meh).
From the EVs section:
68 Speed EVs allow Vaporeon to outspeed most Choice Band Metagross and Skarmory. 64 Speed EVs usually will also suffice, but 68 Speed EVs provide extra insurance against base 65s and 70s. You can allocate some of these EVs into Special Attack or Special Defense if you are confident that Metagross and Skarmory will not invest in much Speed.
if a defending pokemon uses protect against a poke that is using uturn... will the uturning poke have to switch out still?
It stays in.

In HG/SS, is there 2v2 Wifi battling? Similar to how you could team up in platinum to take on the Wifi Frontier, but instead its between four friends.

How exactly do Magma Armor and Flame Body affect egg hatching times? I thought it was exactly 0.5x its normal time while a Pokémon with that ability is in the first slot, but I hatched a Riolu a week ago (normally 6400 steps) with a Magcargo in the first slot the whole time, and it took 3570 steps, rather than the expected 3200. On another Riolu, I began riding around without my Magcargo in the first slot, then switched it after about 700 steps, and still got the hatch after 3570 total steps. What's the deal?

@monkfish: Smogon doesn't have an entry on razor fang, but veekun has the same (slightly inaccurate) 11.7% listed for it and king's rock. I assume this means that they work the same, so smogon's page on king's rock answers your question.

@firestorm: The EVs were actually originally in special attack to OHKO garchomp after sr. With garchomp gone, they are no longer needed there, and can really go anywhere; the person writing the analysis just found them most useful in speed.

@misdreavus: simple question, but not a simple answer. Look at the hatching section of the breeding guide. The simple explanation is that yes, it halves the number of steps, unless you have more than one egg with you, then it starts getting complicated.

How exactly do Magma Armor and Flame Body affect egg hatching times? I thought it was exactly 0.5x its normal time while a Pokémon with that ability is in the first slot, but I hatched a Riolu a week ago (normally 6400 steps) with a Magcargo in the first slot the whole time, and it took 3570 steps, rather than the expected 3200. On another Riolu, I began riding around without my Magcargo in the first slot, then switched it after about 700 steps, and still got the hatch after 3570 total steps. What's the deal?
I believe it goes something like, every 255 steps counts as one "round" or something and a certain number of "rounds" makes the egg hatch, but 255 isn't divisible by 2 and rounds up (maybe) adding more steps to it. That's just what I remember from a while ago when I asked the same question. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ok trying to work something out with power trick.
i'll use foretress as an example as that can have an extreme change
power trick swaps attack and defence i have a question on this.
if i used power trick with foretress using +def nature and 252 defence (416 defence) then power tricked, would i get 416 attack or would i need 252 attack and +attack nature for that?

My sandstorm team is mostly offensive, but it has a Skarmory on it. Skarmory isn't well fit for the team (not stallish enough), so I want to replace it with another Steel type, or possibly rock. I'm having trouble deciding who to replace Skarm with, if anyone at all.
So far I've looked towards one of the Regis, or Metagross or Bronzong, but I might also consider Scizor or Magnezone, or even Jirachi (if I can find a good one)
Any help?
------------------------------------------
Secondly, my friend has been boasting about Action Replay's feats. Is it true you can add data to games not previously programmed in, such as adding Distortion World to Diamond or Pearl, or adding Explorers of Sky exclusive dungeons to Explorers of Time/Darkness?
It all sounds like a load of bull to me, but I need confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)