Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Why is it that my Hariyama with an adamant nature, 31 atk IV, and 0 atk EVs has an atk of 303 at lv100? Hariyama's +nature atk is 372, shouldn't he have 309 atk considering the circumstances? I haven't noticed this sort of inconsistency before, and I bred the Hariyama myself.

Why is it that my Hariyama with an adamant nature, 31 atk IV, and 0 atk EVs has an atk of 303 at lv100? Hariyama's +nature atk is 372, shouldn't he have 309 atk considering the circumstances? I haven't noticed this sort of inconsistency before, and I bred the Hariyama myself.
You sure he has 31 Attack IV? That's all I could think of. The general calculations from IV calcs, and even smogon can vary a little, but it shouldn't be more than a stat or two.

You are forgetting the + Nature boost. 252 EVs = 63 points. That 63 points gets an additional 10% on it which is the 6 points you are off by.

You are forgetting the + Nature boost. 252 EVs = 63 points. That 63 points gets an additional 10% on it which is the 6 points you are off by.
WOW, I had no idea. That will definitely have to factor into my future calculations. Thank you very much.

I've trained perhaps 80-90 pokemon this generation and I never knew about this, thank you again.

The nature multiplier is AFTER effort values are applied. With a positive nature, EVs add 69 points to your stat instead of 63. That accounts for the lost six points of attack your finding. Its generally easier to work from base stats because of weird rounding issues with the nature modifiers.

EDIT: O_o Spent too much time checking my math and got ninjask'ed

Alright, so I haven't been playing in a long time because of school, work, whatever. I've been out of touch with smogon for a few months too. My question - when a simulator for BW is finished, will the suspect-mons (salamence, latias, shaymin-s etc) be retested? My only reason for asking this is because, well, I like the design of garchomp and I would like to use it in OU again. Actually now that I think about it there would be not much reason to retest them unless there was a sort of drastic change (new type or something). Anyway, is this best answer I can get from anyone a 'maybe'? I'm getting older and married soon so my days of playing pokemon are dwindling.

Hi everyone.
I want to erase the EV of my Scizor, and I know i need the appropriate berries to do so, but how do i know in which stats my EV are since I didn't even knew about EV when I trained it ?

Thanks in advance !

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Norua said:
Hi everyone.
I want to erase the EV of my Scizor, and I know i need the appropriate berries to do so, but how do i know in which stats my EV are since I didn't even knew about EV when I trained it ?

Thanks in advance !
You can't find out where your EVs are without keeping careful track. I suggest you just keep using the EV-reducing berries until you get the message "<Pokemon>'s <stat> can't go any lower!" When this happens, all the EVs in that stat are gone.

I've been seeing some minor grammatical/spelling mistakes in some of the Pokemon articles and analysis on site. Should I report these to anybody?

in heartgold and my soulsilver game.. i have been able to go to a certain tree east of eurecak town [or w/e] and grab myself a heracross.

everytimeeeeee. but now.. 7 or so restarts.. its nowhere to be found. is it really not in the same trees everytime? how can i not find one..

Alright, in a double battle, if my Espeon has a Scarf and uses Skill Swap on an opposing Electivire, can he use it on my. lets say, Gyrados?

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
@ Altershift: Yes, I think so. It is still the same move.

@ Phadunk: The trees are assigned at the beginning of each game. All that is certain is that at least one tree one that route which you can headbutt will have heracross in it. The trees which have pokemon always have them, so they are not hard to find.

then maybe i messed up my game somehow.. because the tree that always had heracross/aipom/spearow.. has no pokemon at all this time around.

ugh

Alright, so I haven't been playing in a long time because of school, work, whatever. I've been out of touch with smogon for a few months too. My question - when a simulator for BW is finished, will the suspect-mons (salamence, latias, shaymin-s etc) be retested? My only reason for asking this is because, well, I like the design of garchomp and I would like to use it in OU again. Actually now that I think about it there would be not much reason to retest them unless there was a sort of drastic change (new type or something). Anyway, is this best answer I can get from anyone a 'maybe'? I'm getting older and married soon so my days of playing pokemon are dwindling.
Marriage should only strengthen your commitments to pokemon. You guys can start double battling other couples!

Also, at this point, I don't think much analyses will be put into DPPt anymore. With Black and White just around the corner, and no more pokemon particularly dominating the OU metagame, or underachieving too much in Ubers (I don't play ubers so I can't say for sure, but even so, performance in ubers isn't a big factor regarding OU usage). When B&W are out, perhaps new movesets or game mechanics will bring about a change in the tier system, but don't count on it.

Hey, wondering what speed is worth* putting the EVs into on a Dragonite, both with a neutral nature and a hindering nature. This is on a MixNite.

*by this I mean what is the lowest amount of EVs I can spend without making MixNite completely useless, because all its threats outspeed it. I don't want to spend as much as 200 EVs as the analysis suggests, but I guess if that's the only decent option then...

Thanks

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
You're not technically allowed to discuss Pokesav here, so I'd suggest the Pokesav website. In short, though, most of the programme was not changed, *I hear*, as you can see by the redundant parts like the underground section. I guess it hasn't been changed yet.

why is the downloadable pokesav for heartgold not have the HG/SS routes in the choices? its all DPPt towns.
A Pokémon caught/bred in HGSS needs to be able to be traded to DPPt where the Johto/Kanto routes are not programed. To get around this all native HGSS Pokémon have their met location set to Faraway Place (which is what shows in DPPt) and HGSS instead looks to certain hex values for their met information.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is the best set for a Kingdra when it is paired with a Screen-Zong
I would say Substitute Dragon Dance, as the screens allow Kingdra to set up and proceed to sweep much more easily. Kingdra's Substitutes will be tough to break when he has screens support, which grants him many more opportunities to set up. Use:

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Adamant nature (+Attack, -Special Attack)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Swift Swim
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Outrage
-Waterfall

Good luck! ^_^

Okay, I and my friends will be having an advance tournament so I decided to use a CurseLax, which I will then transfer to my DP. Question: which Snorlax fits the set better?

24-26/24-26/20-23/30-31/17-19/7-9 Bold

or

30-31/27-29/10-13/30-31/24-26/20-23 Docile

I know those IVs aren't the best, and I don't have intentions to trade them. Will be using it in tournaments/battles versus friends only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)