Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

You're right, saying something's really damn annoying is very respectful. And it's very formal.
That was the joke. Relax, I'm not going to have an aneurysm because your text is ugly. To answer your question:

Can any Pokemon use the move Role Play to be a successful pseudo-tracer like Porygon2?
You'd think that someone ought to be able to put it to decent use.
First off, I imagine this would be better-suited to a bulky pokemon that would be capable of walling the opponent, or a faster pokemon that can pull off the RP before it's hit by a super-effective attack that will be negated by the new ability. For example, Infernape outspeeding Vaporeon to Role Play its Water Absorb to negate the incoming Surf, then pummeling it with CC.

Problems are: first of all, no bulky OU pokemon learn Role Play, so that strategy is out for OU. Mew, Latias, Cresselia, and Arcues learn it for Uber. Uxie, and Mesprit learn it for UU.

As for the offensive strategy, Infernape and Luke work in OU, Blaziken and Alakazam work in UU, and Mew, Mewtwo, and Arceus work in Uber.

Thing is, it's very situational. First off, by using Role Play, you're losing 1 move slot. Secondly, it would require a great amount of prediction and baiting attacks that may, in the end, just not be worth it. Example: sending in Luke as a revenge killer against a Heatran you know isn't scarfed. Luke Role Plays Flash Fire and absorbs the Fire Blast first turn, second turn OHKOs with CC. Why not just OHKO in the first place? Also, you're hoping that Heatran doesn't just decide to Earth Power OHKO on the first turn.

To put it more generally (let's use OU for sake of argument and simplicity):
The pokemon that would be countered by Role Play would be:

Electivire (Motor Drive)
Flygon (Levitate)
Heatran (Flash Fire)
Jolteon (Volt Absorb)
Vaporeon (Water Absorb)

That's only 5 pokemon. Additionally, no OU pokemon that are weak to Electric attacks learn RP, so you can strike off Electivire and Jolteon off the baitable list. That only leaves the very situational reverse-counters of Infernape -> Vaporeon, Lucario -> Heatran, Infernape -> Flygon, and Lucario -> Flygon (assuming Flygon isn't carrying Fire Punch). Lucario -> Vaporeon would also work but Infernape -> Heatran would not because of EP. Basically the benefits would be so situational that sacrificing a 4th moveslot to pound Heatran and Vaporeon wouldn't be worth it as a general rule.

However, it could still have possible unforseen benefits for Infernape and Lucario, both of whom have fairly subpar abilities. Grabbing a Thick Fat, Guts, Levitate, Natural Cure, Pressure, Magnet Pull, Speed Boost, or Synchronize could well be worth it. It's just about whether or not you'd like to take a gamble like that. A Role Play set could make a good pokemon significantly worse by taking up a moveslot and wasting a turn, or it could pay off and net you a sweet ability, but still at the cost of a moveslot and a turn. Overall, it's an interesting idea but I can't see someone like Luke dropping a coverage attack or SD/Agility for RP.

Can any Pokemon use the move Role Play to be a successful pseudo-tracer like Porygon2?
You'd think that someone ought to be able to put it to decent use.
Though not often successfully, Role Play is sometimes used in Double battles where a user Role Plays its teammate (commonly Pure Power Medicham while Medicham Fake Outs an opponent) for a beneficial ability.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible to get a user to help you make a team? My teammaking skills suck and I need a good team real badly.
Signing up in the tutor program when it opens up in the Battling 101 forums would be the most effective way to go about it. Otherwise just make a team, test it out and then post in the Rate My Team forum to have others help and critique you.

Wish Blissey is obviously very rare. For a standard Special wall Blissey to use in DS battles, I know I'll have to use Softboiled over Wish, but should I keep Protect for Leftovers recovery, Toxic stalling, scouting, and Pokémon that can only beat Blissey by Exploding (i.e. ScarfTran, Gengar), or replace it with something like Aromatherapy or another attacking move?

For that matter, does anyone on Smogon offer a decent LEGIT Wish Chansey/Blissey in their trade thread?

Hope no one minds if I repost this, but it seems it was overlooked.

I'm trying to pokesav myself a Secret Key to open the Galactic Warehouse secret room to gain access to the Rotom-formes. At first I just deposited the key into my inventory, but the room wouldn't open.

I asked about it in this thread, and someone told me I'd have to use pokesav to actually give myself the event. So I tried that as well. The room still won't open.

I went into Mystery Gift Edit. I was able to get the .pcd file for the Secret Key Wonder Card, but the .pgt file for the event was nowhere to be found. I manually set the Gift Slot to 1, the Corresponding Card to slot 3 (which where I opened the .pcd file), set Gift Type to Item, and Item to Secret Key. Then I visited the green-suited man in the pokemart, got my key, and went to the room. It still won't open.

What am I doing wrong?

Wish Blissey is obviously very rare. For a standard Special wall Blissey to use in DS battles, I know I'll have to use Softboiled over Wish, but should I keep Protect for Leftovers recovery, Toxic stalling, scouting, and Pokémon that can only beat Blissey by Exploding (i.e. ScarfTran, Gengar), or replace it with something like Aromatherapy or another attacking move?

For that matter, does anyone on Smogon offer a decent LEGIT Wish Chansey/Blissey in their trade thread?
I always use protect for the exploder reason, since they are so common.

Also, I have not seen any legit wish blissey, let alone a good one.

A standard non-wish Blissey wall build tends to be something along the lines of:

Blissey @Leftovers

Seismic Toss
Ice Beam
Toxic
Softboiled

Bold
252 HP
252 Def
4 Spe

You mentioned you wanted protect to stall Toxic, so I assume you're taking that. Softboiled is the obvious choice for self heals. Seismic Toss is the standard for dealing damage. Ice Beam (or alternatively, Flamethrower) can be swapped out for Protect, but keep mind that means Blissey -must- switch out against Gengar, and will have a more difficult time denting Dusknoir and Rotom.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@EpicTurtle:

The one that immediately comes to mind is Starmie. It's fast enough to outspeed most FWG cores and hit them for super effective damage.

I'm not sure if this is where it goes, but is there a tool somewhere that tells me all Pokemon that can learn certain move combinations? Such as all Pokemon that can learn EdgeQuake etc.

Hey, I'm a bit confused where to teach my Houndoom Magic Coat. I am infront of the 3 bald guys at the battle frontier but not one of them offers Magic Coat to Houndoom. Where is that guy? Thanks in advance.

Okay, I'm EV training, or, rather, hopefully completed training an Electrode. The question is, how doe EVs spread over level. For example, if I started training at level 50, with NO EVs on the pokemon, and followed the 252/252/4 spread, does the game automatically adjust the rate your stats increase so no EV earned goes wasted?

Okay, I'm EV training, or, rather, hopefully completed training an Electrode. The question is, how doe EVs spread over level. For example, if I started training at level 50, with NO EVs on the pokemon, and followed the 252/252/4 spread, does the game automatically adjust the rate your stats increase so no EV earned goes wasted?
Yeah, it doesn't matter what level you start or finish EV training. The end result is always the same.

The boost from EVs isn't actually applied until you level up, deposit the pkmn in the PC box, or use a vitamin/berry, but that's it. Doesn't matter whether you did all of the training at the previous level or spread out over several levels.

So, as long as there's at least 1 level, you'll get the boost, no matter what.
Excellent, thanks a million, Sixfortyfive. You're a gentleman and a scholar. Unless you're female, then you're a gentlelady.

I'm trying to breed an OHKO Lapras set, but how do you get a Lapras with Fissure? Lapras supposedly breeds with Snorlax, Shieldon family, and Shellos family. But none of them learn it naturally, so how do I get to chain-breed for Fissure Lapras?

I'm very puzzled by this. I guess I'll breed for Horn Drill instead.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does Tyranitar learn Fire Punch? according to the seedot app it is incompatible, while it also isn't listed on Tyranitar's move dex. I would bring this up in C&C, however I want to make sure that the move dex isn't wrong first.

So....

how does Tyranitar learn Fire Punch

OK, so I'm raising Pokemon for Wi-fi. I caught a female Magikarp.

Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/10-29/0/31/0

The speed is a letdown but do you think I should keep it and train?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
How does Tyranitar learn Fire Punch? according to the seedot app it is incompatible, while it also isn't listed on Tyranitar's move dex. I would bring this up in C&C, however I want to make sure that the move dex isn't wrong first.

So....

how does Tyranitar learn Fire Punch
Noob gen.

Platinum/HGSS move tutor.

I caught another magikarp.

Nature: Impish
IVs: 31/31/10-29/0/0/31

I'm thinking I should use this one as a Rest talker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)