Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Mark 3)

Just a simple question - I wasn't around when D/P came out, so when B/W is released in Japan in a month, will Shoddy Battle be updating with any of the new gen 5 material, or will there be no updates until the official U.S. release?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a simple question - I wasn't around when D/P came out, so when B/W is released in Japan in a month, will Shoddy Battle be updating with any of the new gen 5 material, or will there be no updates until the official U.S. release?
In order to properly implement the new moves, items and battle mechanics into Shoddy the programmers must know their proper names and what their effects are ingame, which as you can imagine is only feasible when the game is released in full English. Even then expect the research to programming to take time so I would say no updates until a few months after the US release.

You know how, whenever you battle someone, you can save the log of the battle afterwards? Well, what exactly does it do if you save the log? What's it for?

Lets you read it and refer to it at a later date in a program like Notepad, so you can read over the battle. Thats all, really.

@Xing - There is no planned release date, this has been said several times. However, a Beta will be out soon, according to bearzly.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Where in these forums would I go if I wanted to post a particularly amusing Shoddy Battle game log?
I recommend you look at the warstories in the warstories archives as an example of what sort of logs you should be posting before posting your game log. Posting a game log of a 6-0 sweep might be amusing for you but it will be boring for everyone else reading it and will almost certainly get delete it immediately. If you're going to do it please do it right.

I've looked at other help forums about this, and implemented what they say, but Shoddy won't open still. I'm running on a mac. Whenever I try to open Shoddy, I get the "unable to launch application" message. What could be causing this? I also can't access the Shoddy Battle website, it comes up as a blank page, and i know I don't have a trojan.

This is seriously frustrating me! A couple of people have challenged me on Shoddy. I pressed "Accept" every time I got a challenge, but no battle came up after I accepted it. This has happened 3 times now. WTF is going on?!

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
This is seriously frustrating me! A couple of people have challenged me on Shoddy. I pressed "Accept" every time I got a challenge, but no battle came up after I accepted it. This has happened 3 times now. WTF is going on?!
My bet is that either them or you haven't got a team loaded. Even if it's randbat you need a team loaded for it to work.

My bet is that either them or you haven't got a team loaded. Even if it's randbat you need a team loaded for it to work.
All 3 times, I did this: I saw the challenge, made sure that the rules where rules I was fine with, loaded my team, and pressed "Accept." No battle came up, all 3 times!

I had a thought.
Say there's a server in which Pokemon can have wierd moves that they cant have normally (say for example a kingdra with Thunder). If you built a team on that server and then tried playing with it on a different server (ie the smogon server) would it work? Could you theoretically go into Smogon's OU server with an illegal team built on another server eg have a Kindgra running around in the rain thundering its usual checks and counters.
I have no intention of doing this but I am curious.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
I had a thought.
Say there's a server in which Pokemon can have wierd moves that they cant have normally (say for example a kingdra with Thunder). If you built a team on that server and then tried playing with it on a different server (ie the smogon server) would it work? Could you theoretically go into Smogon's OU server with an illegal team built on another server eg have a Kindgra running around in the rain thundering its usual checks and counters.
I have no intention of doing this but I am curious.
I don't think it would work. That's why you see some servers advertise "HG/SS movesets have been implemented" to distinguish themselves from other servers. If the moves were illegal on that particular server you wouldn't be able to upload your team.

@Lord Jesseus - Shoddy Battle does have some code to find out if the team is legal in the metagame, it will not work.

Yea.. i just went on the Team Builder and there was a pokemon named "Kitsunoh" i looked at the pokedex entry but there was none.

I just thought someone should know that... and i was wondering if it was intentional

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)