All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

honestly scizor would actually be pretty damn good if it got Meteor Mash or something, but as it is all it can really do is BP

(RBY) I have been running Starmie without recover, having instead Blizzard / Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Thunder Wave on it, and I have been having some pretty good success with it.

Anyway, why is this not used or even suggested in the Starmie guide, it seems pretty good to me?

(RBY) I have been running Starmie without recover, having instead Blizzard / Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Thunder Wave on it, and I have been having some pretty good success with it.

Anyway, why is this not used or even suggested in the Starmie guide, it seems pretty good to me?
With its critical hit ratio, coverage with Electric and Ice, and paralysis support, Starmie is too useful to not keep it healthy with Recover. If an enemy gets frozen or fully paralyzed, you're open to heal up before switching or continue attacking. Hydro Pump's only notable trait, really, is OHKOing Rhydon/Golem and having a chance to 2HKO Tauros. It won't reliably 2HKO any of the special sweepers, who can potentially paralyze you, and Tauros shouldn't be switching into Starmie anyway. Of course, critical hits with Hydro Pump are always good, but seeing how Blizzard is more accurate and has the freezing chance, you're more likely to be using that anyways. If not, then your best bet at that point would be to just switch out. How I see it, anyways.

Ok thanks for the explanation. Because I have less experience, I guess, my Starmie often doesn't have time to use recover, so as you said the occasional power boost hydro-pump brings to the table seems more appealing to me.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Starmie is mostly a defensive mon (albeit one that defends actively by actually threatening things with Super-Effective moves), and as such it really should use Recover. It's not breaking any Chanseys anytime soon, and it needs Recover for sticking around against Golem/Rhydon, Tauros, Mega Drain Egg, and Snorlax, stalling opposing Zam and Jynx, healing off Lapras/Starmie/Gengar Tbolts, etc...

I mean I guess non-Recover can work to try to alleviate Starmie's 4mss, but it's a gimmick at best since Recover is so useful.

Are there any competitively viable items in gen IV that were not available in the original first weeks of DP, but later introduced in Platinum, HGSS or through events?

Gonna old school battle someone on PO, if anyone wonder why I want to know this.

^As far as I know, the Griseous Orb (irrelevant), and the Micle/Custap/Jaboca/Rowap Berries.

Question:
I just read here that Ingrain Smeargle was banned in ADV. I had no idea of this ban before. Where could I have found out prior to reading that thread?

Basically, because Lapras (STAB Blizzard + 130/80/95 bulk) and/or Slowbro (Amnesia + 95/110/80 bulk) are better than a Starmie without Recover. If you're getting good results with Recoverless Starmie, it's probably because people assume it has Recover.

Is CurseLugia better than CurseLax? If yes then why do people call Snorlax the best Pokemon in GSC? If no then why is Lugia Uber and Snorlax OU?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
They do different things. Lugia is an unbreakable wall, Snorlax is a more powerful offensive threat. Granted, in Ubers, Snorlax isn't nearly as scary as it is in OU, and a big reason for that is Lugia.

Regardless, Lugia is not in contention for GSC's #1 because implicit in that statement is that you're only considering the GSC OU tier.

ADV question:
Does someone remember the Tyraniboah set which was recently removed from the analysis? Could you give it to me?

GSC question:
Does picking Rest via Sleep Talk reset the Rest turns?

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
ADV question:
Does someone remember the Tyraniboah set which was recently removed from the analysis? Could you give it to me?

GSC question:
Does picking Rest via Sleep Talk reset the Rest turns?
Substitute/Focus Punch/Crunch/Thunderbolt, I guess you can go for HP Grass to deal with Pert. 252 HP/loads of SAtk /a bit of Spd to outspeed... stuff I can't recall. I suppose Quiet nature with 24/28 spd.

and yes when STalk picks Rest, the sleep count reset to 2.

Sorry if this has been said already, I did a search and didnt find anything.

What's the general way to deal with CM users?

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Depends on the CM user.
You counter them with CM Bliss or a heavy physical attacker. CM Bliss for example checks CM Suicune and gets checked by Snorlax

Ok, thank you.
Also:
In GSC, particularly on Cart, if you say SD a Max DV/EXP Marowak, will his attack go to 999, or click over to around 8 or something?

max marowak would reach 1032 atk after a sd iirc, which rolls over to 8 (1032-1024). If I'm not mistaken anything between 999 and 1023 caps at 999, but anything past 1024 rolls over to 0.

Indeed. The rollover's only possible from an item boost, though, so only Marowak needs to worry about it (Pikachu could also rollover with a Light Ball, but it doesn't have Growth to boost its SpA that high in the first place - also, hardly anyone runs Pikachu anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)