All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Safari Balls remain. I've a baby Shroomish in one. Park Balls will always revert to the ball that the Pokemon was originally caught in, right?

The only ones that are not passed down are the Cherish and Master Balls.

I have a question for some of the more experienced ADV OU players. I've been getting tired of the more modern metagames lately, and I've been itching to get into some of the older metagames. I've heard a lot of good things about how fun and balanced the ADV OU metagame was, so I've decided to give that one a try (I'm hoping that I'll have time to start trying to learn the metagame in the next couple of weeks when I'm on Spring Break). That said, I have very little experience with this metagame, so I'm looking for some advice on where to get started. I thought I could take a look at some of the 3rd Gen analyses to get an idea of what sets to look out for and which ones are good to try for myself, but since I've heard several ADV players complaining about the quality of the 3rd Gen analyses, I'm not sure if that's a reliable starting point or not.

My question is, could someone give me a quick rundown on what to look out for (i.e. which sets are actually common and good)? Or could someone point me in the direction of some good quality resources to help me get started in the ADV metagame? I know this is a lot to ask, but I'd appreciate a little bit of help to get me started so that I can start learning from there. Also, which simulator would you recommend I try? Pokemon Showdown! has a new ADV OU ladder, but I'm not sure if perhaps Pokemon Online or NetBattle (if it's still active) would be of better quality.

the adv analyses were really outdated but they underwent a massive revamp about a year ago to reflect the tour metagame (which is a lot different than the old one), i just took a glance at them and they're accurate (only ones i saw that weren't were: 1) celebi's, nowadays it's most often used as an offensive cmer with 3 attacks [giga drain / hp fire / psychic {or baton pass}] or with sub / leech seed / recover / bp), 2) jirachi's, whose offensive cm set with 3 atks is its most common (psychic / fire or ice punch / hp grass).

you can learn a lot from browsing this thread or watching this cast. also po's competition is usually better so play there. even though the xy sprites are pretty sick on ps most players there are just gonna be people who want to try adv without knowing anything about the mechanics so they'll be using shit like dd crunch tyranitar.

if you want to read games between some of the best around, go here and ctrl + f adv ou

Last edited:

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
Can I get an EV spread for Calm Mind, Psychic, T-Bolt, Fire Punch Jirachi in ADV? I need something that can go toe-to-toe with CM Cune.

use hp grass over tbolt. jirachi isnt the best cm cune counter anyway cause they sometimes run roar btw. 252 satk/speed timid is fine although if you want extra bulk drop to around 300 spe (adamant mence) or 308 (moltres but thats rare). max is usually preferred though for tying other base 100s like celebi/charizard and outrunning bulky gar/ttar after a dd.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
Yea, but if it runs Roar, it can't touch Vappy, unless it uses some retarded set without CM or Rest, which is plain dumb anyway.

Another thing I came to think of, if Alakazam got Hypnosis (which it should have), how good would it have been in RBY? (not that it isn't good already)

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Second fastest viable mon (fastest being Jolteon who's fairly rare) getting a sleep move, even if inaccurate, would permanently solve the lead issue. The only leads from now on are Zam and Pokémon that take sleep from it. RIP Gengar leads too.

Another thing I came to think of, if Alakazam got Hypnosis (which it should have), how good would it have been in RBY? (not that it isn't good already)
Zam replaces Egg as the omnipresent sleeper. Zam is on every OU team, usually as the lead.

Why should Zam have learned Hypnosis? Zam's a spoon-bender, not a hypnotist. That's Hypno.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
None of those got Hypnosis until at LEAST Gen 2. As far as Alakazam not getting it ever, well, there's a billion things in Pokemon that make no sense (e.g., Wooper getting Ice Punch without arms).

hello im new to smogon but a old 3rd gen player from http://pokemmo.eu/ and i would like to know how to go about the process of changing the 3rd gen teir list. banning ingrain smeargle for instance and fixing the poor 3rd gen analysis and move/ev spread suggestions. now that showdown has 3rd gen out in beta it is worth the effort to fix.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
here is where you can get involved with old-gen analysis revamps. As for the ingrain smeargle ban, are you looking to implement that on your server or something?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So i don't know if i get this right here but is Ingrain Smeargle only banned from tournament play or from adv as a whole? Because if it is the latter sending Joim a pm should get this done till the next server restart.

ingrain smeargel is only banned in tournament play not 3rd gen as a whole as you put it. i see it on showdown all the time and who is joim?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
Well, ps doesn't have any specific rules so it is following the official smogon rules. Joim is the guy who is in charge of implementing the oldgens on showdown. So yea if there is something that is an inaccuracy in the smogon rules then he will instantly fix it, but in this case i am not really sure, because if it's only in tournament play then ingrain smeargle is technically allowed in rated adv ladder matches.

Is there a reason why my ability to post threads in this forum has mysteriously disappeared? I can't seem to find a "Forum Help" forum to ask questions about the forum itself.

Last edited:

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
Is there a reason why my ability to post threads in this forum has mysteriously disappeared? I can't seem to find a "Forum Help" forum to ask questions about the forum itself.

i'm experienceing the same problems, seems it's not a problem on your end but the whole forum's settings being changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)