All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

I remember asking a few years ago about a bug concerning the Sleep Turn Counts and the move Sleep Talk in the 3rd Generation (something like : if you switch in asleep, sleep talk, and then switch, the Count stays at 0), someone linked me the relevant article on this forum but I can't find it ! Is it still the case ?

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
I remember asking a few years ago about a bug concerning the Sleep Turn Counts and the move Sleep Talk in the 3rd Generation (something like : if you switch in asleep, sleep talk, and then switch, the Count stays at 0), someone linked me the relevant article on this forum but I can't find it ! Is it still the case ?
It is implemented on PS, like in cartridge.

Greetings!
I've been searching around the threads, but I haven't found anything. Thus, I wanted to ask if there's any threads in regards to Teambuilding Workshops or something like that.

(I was searching for a Gen 3 one, but I don't really mind if there's one for any other gen)

Thank you in advance!:]

Last edited:
Out of the new ADV/RSE OU sample teams, which 2 or 3 are considered the most defensive? I'm guessing the "TSS" teams are more defensive than the others, but I might be wrong.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Out of the new ADV/RSE OU sample teams, which 2 or 3 are considered the most defensive? I'm guessing the "TSS" teams are more defensive than the others, but I might be wrong.
ud's TSS team is the most defensive there, but to be fair most of the teams that were posted are "balanced" by today's standards, some leaning more offensive and others leaning more defensive, but it really mostly comes down to play and the team they're facing.

From Github:
- Basically, a counter separate from the sleep counter starts at 0, and
attempting to use Sleep Talk or Snore while asleep increments it by 1.
- If the Pokemon attempts to use any other move while asleep, this
counter is reset to 0.
- If the Pokemon switches out while asleep, the current value of the
counter is added to the sleep counter.
To put it into other words: if you only use Sleep Talk (or Snore) while you're asleep and switch out before waking up, the turns you spent using Sleep Talk/Snore won't be added to the sleep counter. To successfully burn all these sleep turns, you have to spend one turn attacking (read: not using Sleep Talk) before switching out.
Why do they say different things? Which action resets the separate counter, and which one adds it to the sleep counter?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
McMeghan’s written description is correct.
The implementation of the actual code in github is correct, afaik. It’s just the comments about the code that are wrong.

McMeghan’s written description is correct.
The implementation of the actual code in github is correct, afaik. It’s just the comments about the code that are wrong.
I think the comments about the code are describing how the code works rather than the game mechanic.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Why do they say different things? Which action resets the separate counter, and which one adds it to the sleep counter?
They say the same thing in different ways. There are probably already a dozen examples in that thread but here's some more:
Code:
Use Rest -> your sleep counter is now 3, and the other counter is 0
Use Sleep Talk -> your sleep counter is now 2, and the other counter is 1
Use NOT Sleep Talk or Snore -> your sleep counter is now 1, and the other counter is 0
At this point, whether you switch out or not, you will wake up next time you try to use a move.
Code:
Use Sleep Talk -> your sleep counter is now 2, and the other counter is 1
Use Sleep Talk -> your sleep counter is now 1, and the other counter is 2
You switch out -> your sleep counter was 1, the other counter was 2, so your sleep counter is now 3
Code:
Use NOT Sleep Talk or Snore -> your sleep counter is now 2, and the other counter is 0
You switch out -> your sleep counter was 2, the other counter was 0, so your sleep counter is still 2
I think the confusion you have is McMeghan's description you quoted seems to imply the sleep counter counts up from 0? It actually counts down to 0, like every other effect with a predetermined duration. It's not necessarily wrong to describe it the other way, as long as you're consistent.

(Gen 4 OU) What would be the best breaker set for Gliscor that would pair well with Gengar? P.S. I’m kinda crazy because I’m running bpass and nplot on my Celebi in order to have Gengar’s special attack be sky high, so take that into account as well.

Roa needs more content

Oldgens are very rich, maybe in interviews of greats and ask about building or tier intricacies so the community can improve at this game

I also like threads where people talk and guides but rhey are a lot of work, perhaps assemble a dedicated team of Finchinator to help write bw ou Guides

Roa needs more content

Oldgens are very rich, maybe in interviews of greats and ask about building or tier intricacies so the community can improve at this game

I also like threads where people talk and guides but rhey are a lot of work, perhaps assemble a dedicated team of Finchinator to help write bw ou Guides
Sorry if this comes off a harsh, i like currnt projects but i think we can do better

what is self-ko clause and what gens does it include?
It is a clause used in live tours (weekly Smogon Tour, Suspect Tours, etc.) that says a player will lose the battle if they use a move that makes both pokemon faint simultaneously (e.g. Explosion, Self-Destruct but also Destiny Bond, Perish Song etc. but I am not 100% sure about those). It only includes generation 1, 2, 3 and 4 as the newer ones have their own ways of breaking ties.
Take note that most forum tours do not use that clause.

In ADV/RSE OU, what are some good ways to counter calm mind Celebi without Tyranitar? Or is Tyranitar absolutely necessary? Also why is Swampert considered less viable than Gengar and Metagross when it's used so much more?

Would Ho-Oh really be broken if it was un-banned in GSC OU?

In ADV/RSE OU, what are some good ways to counter calm mind Celebi without Tyranitar? Or is Tyranitar absolutely necessary? Also why is Swampert considered less viable than Gengar and Metagross when it's used so much more?

Would Ho-Oh really be broken if it was un-banned in GSC OU?
Choice Band Hidden Power Bug Dugtrio can potentially trap Celebi and remove it if Celebi has a bit of chip damage. Metagross can hurt Celebi with Meteor Mash and even its own Hidden Power Bug sometimes. Flygon often runs Hidden Power Bug which can do a ton of damage to Celebi. Blissey can check offensive variants quite well and put Toxic on defensive variants, forcing it out. Those are just a few options, but the list definitely goes on. Basically, Tyranitar is not "absolutely necessary" to "counter" Calm Mind Celebi.

I think the ADV viability ranking thread has some really great posts which have different rankings and some descriptions on why they placed each Pokemon where they did. It seems like people have different opinions on Swampert's position, some putting it as #2 over Gengar and Metagross, some as #3 between Gengar and Metagross, etc.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adv-viability-ranking-ou.3503019/page-15

For more information on Ho-oh (and Celebi in GSC as well if you were interested), here's a link to a discussion that took place about Ho-oh. I don't think Ho-oh would necessarily be broken but it would probably not be a positive influence on the metagame. But posts like FOMG's and Earthworm's in this thread do a way better job at explaining it than I could.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/what-if-a-ho-oh-celebi-suspect-happened.3643938/

I know this question wont make any sense at all, but how come anything below 90% accuracy in reality only hit about 50%, while 90% is completely fine?
Im serious, rock slides rarely miss, fire blasts will miss all the time, yet there is only a 5% official difference in accuracy, but i know that this cant be true.

I know this question wont make any sense at all, but how come anything below 90% accuracy in reality only hit about 50%, while 90% is completely fine?
Im serious, rock slides rarely miss, fire blasts will miss all the time, yet there is only a 5% official difference in accuracy, but i know that this cant be true.
Can you post replays? If you do, then please post all your battles within a certain time period, not only the battles where the moves missed.

Can you post replays? If you do, then please post all your battles within a certain time period, not only the battles where the moves missed.
Im sorry, i dont have any replays to provide, so you will just have to take my word for it, or dont.
But surely though, i cant be the only one who dont trust 85% moves at all?

Any real reason to run Blissey in Gen 5? I'm thinking on sand/ hail teams for the leftovers? Also, is their a good team dump somewhere for gen 5 out their? I've seen Hellraiser's but the teams are incredibly old, like 10 metas ago. Only dabbled (if you can call it even that) in gen 5 ubers back in the day, but am really getting interested in gen 5 ou

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)