Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer MK IV: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain IV's to me , I have read the guide on this website and I just cannot get my head around it
http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

If you're still stuck I would reccomend reading the first 3 paragrahps, skip the math part and read the last part.

In short it's a number between 0 and 31. The higher the IV number, the higher your stat will be, they are given to a pokemon when you catch/recive/hatch them.

For example a garchomp with a 10 IV in attack, an adamant nature and 252EV's will have a final attack stat of 371.

However a Garchomp with 252 EV'S and an adamant nature that has a 31 IV in attack will have a stat of 394.

As you can see there is a difference of 23 attack points which could be there difference between a KO and a 2HKO.

To check your pokemons IV's there is a man in a blue shirt in the battle subway in nimbasa city, talk to him and he will evaluate your pokemon. he will say some phrases and then will determine your pokemons highest IV. He will say the following;
0~15 - Rather Decent
16~25 - Very Good
26~30 - Fantastic
31 - Can't Be Better

from that you can get a rough idea of what your best IV is and how big it is.

http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

If you're still stuck I would reccomend reading the first 3 paragrahps, skip the math part and read the last part.

In short it's a number between 0 and 31. The higher the IV number, the higher your stat will be, they are given to a pokemon when you catch/recive/hatch them.

For example a garchomp with a 10 IV in attack, an adamant nature and 252EV's will have a final attack stat of 371.

However a Garchomp with 252 EV'S and an adamant nature that has a 31 IV in attack will have a stat of 394.

As you can see there is a difference of 23 attack points which could be there difference between a KO and a 2HKO.

To check your pokemons IV's there is a man in a blue shirt in the battle subway in nimbasa city, talk to him and he will evaluate your pokemon. he will say some phrases and then will determine your pokemons highest IV. He will say the following;
0~15 - Rather Decent
16~25 - Very Good
26~30 - Fantastic
31 - Can't Be Better

from that you can get a rough idea of what your best IV is and how big it is.
I am getting an understanding now but not totally. I'm just confused about how it all works out when u explained garchomps stats,I'm not the best at mathmatics to be fair I think my best bet would be just to keep talking to the man in nimbasa city

I am getting an understanding now but not totally. I'm just confused about how it all works out when u explained garchomps stats,I'm not the best at mathmatics to be fair I think my best bet would be just to keep talking to the man in nimbasa city
EV's make the stat larger but you have to EV train
IV's however still make the stat bigger, but you have less control over them, since they are made at random, the higher the IV number the higher the final stat is.

http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calc.shtml

This is another way to calculate your pokemons IV's. Just plug in the relevant information, then the IV's will be determined.

If you encounter a Arceus, it will have IV's (hidden too you) in all stats.

lets say for example we had 2 identical Arceus level 100 both with a hardy nature and with 0 EV's

Lets say the first Arceus had the following stats;
371-248-259-264-254-272

which yields these IV's 21-3-14-19-9-27.

If it was going to be a physical attacker, then this arceus isnt much good, because is attack IV is 3 and is considered very low.

the second arceus has these stats;
381-276-276-276-276-276

its IV;s are all 31 (the highest IV possible)

As you can see, the difference in stats before training is 28 whole points, before you have even trained it, thats massive.

In a competitive sense, pokemon like terrakion need a 31 speed IV, to at least tie with other terrakion, if there IV is 30, they will lose the speed tie and ultimately you could lose the match.

IV's influence pokemon stats in a smaller way than EV's, but you have little control over them. The best way to get high IV's on a pokemon is to catch alot of them. Run them through the IV calculator and keep the ones with 31 Ivs. You can then breed those IV's onto there offspring, with help from the power items (anklet, bracelet etc.) and get high IV's on mutliple stats (for example a max speed, max attack infernape). The battle subway trainers all have max Iv's (i think) so you'll need max Iv's to keep up.

I get what your saying I just don't see how you worked out those iv's from them stats or can u only do it by an IV calculator.sorry if I seem thick I'm just not too good with numbers

I get what your saying I just don't see how you worked out those iv's from them stats or can u only do it by an IV calculator.sorry if I seem thick I'm just not too good with numbers
I got my IV's from the calculator I provided.

just put in; the level of the pokemon, the nature, the characteristic (likes too relax, alert to sounds etc.), the stats of the pokemon and any EV's you've given it and it will provide you with a range of IV's. You could work it out the long way, but thats very time consuming.

The best way to work out IV;s using the calculator is by practice; so using the calculator above, try and work out the IV;s of my bouffalant (I caught yesterday)

IT has an adamant nature, and its characteristic is highly curious, its level 34 and its stats are;110/96/73/37/76/50. Just put that information into the calculator and it will tell you the possible IV;s of my bouffalant.

Hello. I understand that in B/W the Legendaries respawn if you faint them and then beat the elite four. I have questions about a few minor details.

1) Does this only apply the first time I beat the elite four?
2) Can the respawned Legendaries have a different Nature/IVs?
3) If the answer to 2) is no, which Legendaries cannot be avoided encountering?

Hey folks curious about Stored Power. I know this combination isn't available yet through legal means but if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

Swoobat with Simple uses Calm Mind.
+2 Sp At, +2 Sp Df.

Swoobat uses Stored Power
(20 + 20x4) Does that make the base power now 100? After stab 150?

Basically my question is does Simple affect Stored Power?

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey folks curious about Stored Power. I know this combination isn't available yet through legal means but if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

+2 Sp At, +2 Sp Df.

I'm fairly sure it does, as Swoobat maxes out at +6/ +6 after 3 boosts.

+2 Sp At, +2 Sp Df.

Yes, as you have the boosts already. All Simple does is double your stat gains: those gains are used in Stored Power.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Hello. I understand that in B/W the Legendaries respawn if you faint them and then beat the elite four. I have questions about a few minor details.

1) No
2) No
3) Reshiram/Zekrom cannot be avoided in N's Castle unless you have a full PC.

1) No
2) No
3) Reshiram/Zekrom cannot be avoided in N's Castle unless you have a full PC.
Smogon Guide to Catching BW Legendaries said:
Much like in fourth generation games, the legendaries in Black and White will respawn if you happen to KO or flee from them. Most legendaries in Black and White will re-appear if you flee or KO them once you've defeated the Elite Four. Victini after fleeing or KOing it will re-appear at the basement of the lighthouse once you exit and re-renter its room, with no need to defeat the Elite Four. With the exception of the roamers, Reshiram, and Zekrom, legendaries will respawn at the location you encountered them previously. Additionally, you can save in front of a legendary and soft reset or RNG to obtain the nature/IVs you desire. Tornadus/Thundurus, however, will be re-released and roam Unova once you defeat the Elite Four with a new nature/IV combination, instead of you manually releasing them by visiting the house on Route 7 again.
At least in the case of Tornadus and Thundurus, they can get a new nature and IV combination according to Smogon's article.

I got my IV's from the calculator I provided.

just put in; the level of the pokemon, the nature, the characteristic (likes too relax, alert to sounds etc.), the stats of the pokemon and any EV's you've given it and it will provide you with a range of IV's. You could work it out the long way, but thats very time consuming.

The best way to work out IV;s using the calculator is by practice; so using the calculator above, try and work out the IV;s of my bouffalant (I caught yesterday)

IT has an adamant nature, and its characteristic is highly curious, its level 34 and its stats are;110/96/73/37/76/50. Just put that information into the calculator and it will tell you the possible IV;s of my bouffalant.
I just downloaded an IV calculator onto my android phone and it its speed stat has the highest number but with this calculator you cannot enter chatacteristics and wpuld not work out the IV for attack just says error so I think I will be binning that lol.it so easy to do with the calculator but from what it worked out its a pretty mediocre bouffalant

haunter

Banned deucer.
How well does Donphan do in Rain as a rapid spinner?
I think that there are better spinners for rain teams (Tentacruel\Starmie) but if you have troubles with things like Landorus and Terrakion and need something that can lay down stealth rock, then maybe you can give it a try.

Is is worth it if I run Psyshock > Trick on Latios?
Psyshock on specs Latios (I assume you're talking about the specs variant because you mentioned trick) is a very risky choice with all the TTAr and Scizor running around. I'd suggest psyshock only if you are terribly weak to things like CM Virizion, Blissey and Tentacruel (and even then trick can incapacitate the last 2).

2 Questions:

1)What are the benefits of using jolly over adamant on sd offensive scizor?

2)If i use yawn with my espeon over blissey and she falls asleep next turn. And then my rival switches her out and assuming she has natural cure, can I use yawn again? She would wake up once she is taken in the ball,right? Or would it break sleep cause?

haunter

Banned deucer.
1) not many, unless you're paranoid with timid Magnezone;
2) on the simulator the enforced sleep clause would prevent the second yawn from working (assuming Blissey has serene grace and not natural cure), on the cartridge instead you'll break the clause if Blissey has serene grace. If you know that Bliss has natural cure then the clause is not broken as it wakes up upon leaving the field.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Birkal with the late night shift! Nah nah nah nah nah.

2 Questions:

1)What are the benefits of using jolly over adamant on sd offensive scizor?

2)If i use yawn with my espeon over blissey and she falls asleep next turn. And then my rival switches her out and assuming she has natural cure, can I use yawn again? She would wake up once she is taken in the ball,right? Or would it break sleep cause?
The following list from the OU Speed Tiers topic (courtesy of TelamonianAjax) is a list of everything that Jolly Scizor outpaces that Adamant does not. Please remember, however, that Bullet Punch is capable of taking out many of these threats, which is why Adamant is encouraged primarily on the onsite analysis.

251 / Scizor / 65 / +Spe / 252 / 0
250 / Cloyster, Metagross / 70 / +Spe / 208 / 0
249 / Togekiss, Dragonite / 80 / Neutral / 212 / 0
247 / Kingdra / 85 / Neutral / 164 / 0
245 / Togekiss, Dragonite / 80 / Neutral / 196 / 0
245 / Heatran / 77 / Neutral / 220 / 0
244 / Celebi*, Zapdos / 100 / Neutral / 32 / 0
244 / Gliscor / 95 / Neutral / 72 / 0
244 / Rotom-A / 86 / Neutral / 144 / 0
244 / Gyarados / 81 / Neutral / 184 / 0
244 / Jirachi / 100 / Neutral / 32 / 0
243 / Tyranitar / 61 / +Spe / 252 / 0
240 / Tentacruel / 100 / Neutral / 16 / 0
239 / Politoed, Breloom / 70 / Neutral / 252 / 0
237 / Breloom / 70 / Neutral / 244 / 0
236 / Scrafty / 58 / +Spe / 252 / 0
232 / Magnezone / 60 / +Spe / 220 / 0
230 / Heatran / 77 / Neutral / 160 / 0
229 / Scizor / 65 / Neutral / 252 / 0

Edit: I am SO SLOW. Gosh dang it.
Genny edit: this if a fun game
Birk-a-dit: You sir are ruining my life D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)