Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer MK IV: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here but I hope this is the right place to ask

Just a few questions really:
1. When breeding for IVs do I have to keep trying until I get perfect ones all around or would 31 in the main stats I'm using be fine? (Like Atk and Spe on Garchomp)

2. Is there a way to make the chance of getting the Hidden Power type you want greater, like having certain IVs?

3. I'm planning my first Uber team at the minute, is there a certain topic I could post it on for some advice BEFORE I start training them, so I don't waste my time on a team with a huge flaw?

Edit: Also, how to I get a neat little quote under my avatar like some other people?
I can't seem to find it in the options

1. When breeding for IVs do I have to keep trying until I get perfect ones all around or would 31 in the main stats I'm using be fine? (Like Atk and Spe on Garchomp)

2. Is there a way to make the chance of getting the Hidden Power type you want greater, like having certain IVs?

3. I'm planning my first Uber team at the minute, is there a certain topic I could post it on for some advice BEFORE I start training them, so I don't waste my time on a team with a huge flaw?

Edit: Also, how to I get a neat little quote under my avatar like some other people?
For your 1st question getting 31 in all IV's can be very time consuming,try catching a lot of the same pokemon or making eggs and there is a man in the battle subway that will tell you how good the pokemon is,I only had it priperly explained to me yesterday by CrazyBacon so that's how I know.you could also try writing your pokemons stats,nature,level,EV's etc into an IV calculator which you can find on a link I was sent yesterday on this thread

For your 1st question getting 31 in all IV's can be very time consuming,try catching a lot of the same pokemon or making eggs and there is a man in the battle subway that will tell you how good the pokemon is,I only had it priperly explained to me yesterday by CrazyBacon so that's how I know.you could also try writing your pokemons stats,nature,level,EV's etc into an IV calculator which you can find on a link I was sent yesterday on this thread
I remember doing that before I trained my Garchomp; he has a perfect Spe IV, an Atk in the high 20s (27 or better) and a HP IV of around 24.
His Def and SpD IVs are kinda low however, I was wondering if that's ok for competitive battling.

I remember doing that before I trained my Garchomp; he has a perfect Spe IV, an Atk in the high 20s (27 or better) and a HP IV of around 24.
His Def and SpD IVs are kinda low however, I was wondering if that's ok for competitive battling.
Well depends what you mean by competitive battling. For battle subway I wouldn't worry too much as I'm doing quite well at the minute with poor IV but for battling some of the people off here and if your thinking of going to the pokemon vgc I would get the best pokemon you can possibly get as everyone is going to be doing exactly the same thing.you need to have the best to be at your best and beat the best

1) If you want to be really good on WiFi, you need perfect IVs in every stat except an attacking stat you aren't using (for example a 0 IV for a Starmie in attack is fine). If you don't have perfect IVs in your defenses, then suddenly hits that you could barely survive turn into OHKOs. Also, every EV spread on Smogon is made under the assumption you're using perfect IVs.

2) Hidden Powers are entirely decided by your IVs, so you need to have the right combination of 31s and 30s if you want a certain type.

3) The thread here is the best place to post. However, it's probably a smart idea to play with your team a bit on an online simulator, since you can fix any glaring mistakes. Otherwise, people won't take your thread seriously and you won't get any good advice. Also make sure you read the rules of RMT threads first, or your thread will get locked.

Last, and certainly not least, welcome to Smogon!

@Life Orb
4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Timid nature, Natural Cure trait
Hydro Pump | Blizzard | Psychic/Psyshock | Recover

What Psychic move is better? Don't say to drop the Psychic move as I need something to counter Fighters in Hail.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^Psyshock

If im at -1 Attack and I crit using a physical move, would the damage be calculated as if I were at neutral attack or -1?

^Psyshock

If im at -1 Attack and I crit using a physical move, would the damage be calculated as if I were at neutral attack or -1?
When you get a crit, only stat changes that would further increase damage affect the final attack. So, if you're at -6 attack and the opponent is at +6 defense, it does the same amount of damage as a crit under normal circumstances would.

1) If you want to be really good on WiFi, you need perfect IVs in every stat except an attacking stat you aren't using (for example a 0 IV for a Starmie in attack is fine). If you don't have perfect IVs in your defenses, then suddenly hits that you could barely survive turn into OHKOs. Also, every EV spread on Smogon is made under the assumption you're using perfect IVs.

2) Hidden Powers are entirely decided by your IVs, so you need to have the right combination of 31s and 30s if you want a certain type.

3) The thread here is the best place to post. However, it's probably a smart idea to play with your team a bit on an online simulator, since you can fix any glaring mistakes. Otherwise, people won't take your thread seriously and you won't get any good advice. Also make sure you read the rules of RMT threads first, or your thread will get locked.

Last, and certainly not least, welcome to Smogon!
1. Ok, will make sure to remember that. At least I have a perfect Spe IV to breed down.

2. Ah, thanks, guess I'll need my calculator

3. A simulator? Sorry I'm not sure what that is

And thanks!

3. A simulator? Sorry I'm not sure what that is
A Battle Simulator is a program where you can build teams and battle people from all over the world. A neat part is that you can use pokemon with perfect IVs at level 100 without needing to train. Even if you want to train up pokemon yourself, it's a good place to test teams out. For the most part, the sim everyone uses is Pokemon Online.

A Battle Simulator is a program where you can build teams and battle people from all over the world. It neat part is that you can use pokemon with perfect IVs at level 100 without needing to train. Even if you want to train up pokemon yourself, it's a good place to test teams out. For the most part, the sim everyone uses is Pokemon Online.
Wow, I didn't even know about that, thanks a bunch!
Wish I could go test it now, but I have to be up early. Thanks again for all your help.

You need a badge for that, or win the Poster of the Month award.

So, I get two completely different answers to my questions? Is there an expert on this that can clear things up for me?
If you have a full PC, you can skip Reshiram/Zekrom and fight them at Dragonspiral Tower post-game. If they don't have the IV's that you want, you can faint them and have them respawn after the E4. Same thing with the rest of the legendaries.

Alright, so the truth is that every legendary i fainted or fled will respawn after the elite four. They can have a different Nature and IVs if I faint them. In the case of Reshiram/Zekrom, they can be fainted the first time you fight them, then beat the elite four and they respawn at Dragonspiral Tower. And Tornadus/Thundurus is immediately reset once the elite four is beat.

Is that right? Did you make everything clear to me now?

Sorry if I seem paraniod. I already herp-a-derped on my V-Create Victini's stats and I don't want to make any more mistakes.

In the case of Reshiram/Zekrom, they can be fainted the first time you fight them,
Nope. I learned (through a Scramble actually) that you MUST capture Reshiram/Zekrom unless you have a full party/ PC, or after you defeat it it will just respawn in N's Castle, and you'll have to face it again.

ok i know in black in right if you breed shinies it raises your chances. im woundering if you breed a male that is shiny with a diferent female say shiny male charizard with a nonshiny female bulbasaur. would the technique work with this?

Alright, so the truth is that every legendary i fainted or fled will respawn after the elite four. They can have a different Nature and IVs if I faint them. In the case of Reshiram/Zekrom, they can be fainted the first time you fight them, then beat the elite four and they respawn at Dragonspiral Tower. And Tornadus/Thundurus is immediately reset once the elite four is beat.

Is that right? Did you make everything clear to me now?

Sorry if I seem paraniod. I already herp-a-derped on my V-Create Victini's stats and I don't want to make any more mistakes.
Yep, just keep in mind what waterwarrior said.

ok i know in black in right if you breed shinies it raises your chances. im woundering if you breed a male that is shiny with a diferent female say shiny male charizard with a nonshiny female bulbasaur. would the technique work with this?
Where did you get that idea? That doesn't work: the shininess rate doesn't increase if you breed shinies. You must be mistaken for the Masuda method; in that, if you breed two foreign country pokemon, the shininess rate gets increased to 1/1366.

Ok, I am running a sun team that focuses on a Volcrona sweep. I currently run a Starmie: HP fire (for Ferro), Psychic, Rapid Spin, and Tbolt/Ice Beam (which is better?).

Should I keep Starmie as my spinner? Or should I change to a different one?

Ok, I am running a sun team that focuses on a Volcrona sweep. I currently run a Starmie: HP fire (for Ferro), Psychic, Rapid Spin, and Tbolt/Ice Beam (which is better?).

Should I keep Starmie as my spinner? Or should I change to a different one?
I'd say Ice Beam since sun has a lot trouble with dragons. As for what spinner, it depends on the rest of your team.

Question about ev training. I lead with a scraggy holding power anklet against a basculin. I then switch out to something else to kill the basculin. From what I undstand the scraggy will receive 6 speed Evs and the other Pokemon receive 2 speed Evs correct? Im only asking this because when I ev trained in platinum you could see your speed stat get +10 or so when you level it up but in black white it is only saying it gets like +1 in speed when scraggy levels up. So if I'm doing it right at what level will scraggy get all of his Evs translated into actual values?

I'm bored so I'll ev train any pokemon for free first come first serve I will accept first 3 adn ahs to be on fifth gen.
p.s I get to keep 1 copy too
p.s.s vm me if you want my services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)