Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a subforum or thread exist on smogon where I can go to discuss PU specifically? (I know it's not an official or supported tier, but damn is it fun)

I did try to google it and turned up nothing but old usage stat threads, and you can't actually search smogon itself for "PU" because it's not a long enough word to be a valid search string on vBulletin. I figured I'd take the question here since PU is a sort of subsection of NU.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
what's usualy the best option between grass knot and hp grass in NU ? Everytime I give water ice grass coverage to some poke other than ludicolo I wonder which I should choose.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
It depends on which targets you want to hit. In my opinion Grass Knot would be superior since it deals more damage to the Rock and Ground types in the tier and can still handle a large portion of the Water-types decently. You do miss out on some significant threats, such as Gorebyss and Relicanth, but usually I wouldn't rely on a Water-type to check those threats anyways.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Water and fire pokemon who want extra coverage are those who will use one of them. So if it's for a water type that already hits ground and rock would hp grass be better ?

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Yeah, it would probably be better for those, since the stuff that actually gets Grass Knot (Emboar, Samurott, etc) already smashes Relicanth and Gorebyss pretty nicely but would like an OHKO against Quagsire for example.

Emboar also likes Hidden Power Ice to beat Altaria, so Grass Knot is also better in that regard since it lets you use both.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi :) I'm new to NU, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what some threatening sweepers are in the tier. Thanks :)

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Swords Dance Samurott is extremely threatening also things like Choice Band Emboar and Swellow. There are a lot of really good pokemon in NU. Almost everything can be threatening if you play it right. So I say just go and start testing stuff and who knows you might find something really good!

Edit: CBB put together a really good list. Also suck it cbb

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
There are too many sweepers to really count, but some important ones to cover are:

- Samurott, especially Swords Dance versions, are everywhere right now
- Rain Dance Ludicolo
- Shell Smash Gorebyss
- Swords Dance Absol
- Calm Mind/Trick Room Musharna
- Acrobatics Drifblim
- Haunter
- Magmortar
- Cinccino
- Offensive Cryogonal
- Charizard
- Sawsbuck
- Shell Smash Carracosta
- Swellow

I probably forgot a few (mostly because there actually ARE too many to count), but those are the most prominent ones right now and the ones most teams should have covered, more or less.

EDIT: wow bs mmf

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Some threats that haven't been mentioned yet:

Gurdurr
Exeggutor
Braviary
LINOONE
Rampardos
Rotom Formes
Serperior
Sawk

I'm not much of a NU player, but how much of an impact could Hurricane Articuno have? If you can keep rocks off the field, she could come in multiple times thanks to ridiculous bulk and use the most powerful Hurricane in the tier. Again, I don't know much about NU but it seems like it could work on Rain teams.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
Yes, Articuno certainly got a huge boost through Hurricane as a level up move, now being able to run something along the lines of Ice Beam/Hurricane/Hidden Power [Ground]/Roost. Its excellent bulk for NU standards just help matters, being able to Roost off Stealth Rock damage against a lot of things. It probably isn't good with using rain by itself (even though it certainly is an option), but it likes rain support a lot. It definitely became a very fearsome special attacker now, regardless of whether it's used in rain or not.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Keeping rocks off the field is going to be a much harder feat than it sounds, though. With Cryogonal almost guaranteed to go to RU, we have a pretty big deficit in good Rapid Spin users, and aside from the rare Foresight Wartortle (why is that rare, again?) it's really really hard to bust through Eviolite Misdreavus, let alone the other Evio Ghost-types (Lampent will probably get more popular with Shadow Tag, and Frillish has cool typing). I am excited to test Articuno out a bit though!

Are BW2 move tutor moves legal in BW now that it has released in Japan? I'm guessing this is dependent on whether or not you can trade pokemon back and forth between BW/BW2, and I don't know the answer to that question.

Are BW2 move tutor moves legal in BW now that it has released in Japan? I'm guessing this is dependent on whether or not you can trade pokemon back and forth between BW/BW2, and I don't know the answer to that question.
We play with BW2 move tutors here. They should be on Pokemon Online shortly though. If you are referring to Wifi play it would be better to ask in the Wifi section of the forums.

1. Does Kecleons Color Change activate on the first or the last hit of multi-hit attack?

2. Is it theoretically possible to 1HKO a Probopass with a doublekick from a NU Pokemon? If it is, how much atk would I need considering STAB/not STAB, Life Orb or Choice Band? A link to an easy enough to handle damage calculator would be totally sufficient as an answer to this question.

1. Does Kecleons Color Change activate on the first or the last hit of multi-hit attack?

2. Is it theoretically possible to 1HKO a Probopass with a doublekick from a NU Pokemon? If it is, how much atk would I need considering STAB/not STAB, Life Orb or Choice Band? A link to an easy enough to handle damage calculator would be totally sufficient as an answer to this question.
Double kick is a pretty horrid move so i doubt it, however

Detailed Result:
252 Atk Choice Band Fraxure (+Atk) Superpower vs 252 HP/252 Def Probopass (+Def) : 137.04% - 161.73%
Guaranteed OHKO

CB Fraxure can do the job because of Mold Breaker, However Eviolite only has a 50% Chance to OHKO Max/Max, however some probo pass run SpA and aren't Max/Max so eviolite can still OHKO 252/0

Thanks for the answers.
I am aware of the possibility to use moldbreakers, but they are pretty predictable and I am looking for an alternative to prevent hazard setup. Double Kick indeed has a far too low base power it seems.

Thanks for the answers.
I am aware of the possibility to use moldbreakers, but they are pretty predictable and I am looking for an alternative to prevent hazard setup. Double Kick indeed has a far too low base power it seems.
The two strongest double kicks in NU

Detailed Result:
252 Atk Life Orb Combusken (+Atk) Double Kick vs 252 HP/252 Def Probopass (+Def) : 37.04% - 44.44%
3-4 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Detailed Result:
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Nidorino (+Atk) Double Kick vs 252 HP/252 Def Probopass (+Def) : 33.33% - 39.51%
3-4 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Still fall short of getting the job done by a good margin

Thanks for the answers.
Well as mentioned prior, multi-hit moves are usually the way to go. Grass-types and Cincinno are capable of pressuring the ever-common Golem, though it is true that they fail to beat Probopass. However, Marowak is capable of adequately dispatching both with the use of Bonemerang:

252Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/0Def Probopass (Neutral): 232% - 276% (752 - 896 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

252Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 208HP/0Def Golem (Neutral): 116% - 139% (412 - 492 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

However, if you can't find room for any of that in your team, the best answer is simply to pressure them as much as possible. Force them to either set up rocks or fodder their respective user, more often than not they will find the latter simply not worth early-game Stealth Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)